What is your travel day ensemble?

ComeSailWithME

Depends on the time of year. We live within driving distance to Port Canaveral and Miami, so no flights for us. If it's summer, I'm a shorts, tanktop, and flipflop girl. If it's in the cooler months, I wear jeans to the port. It felt SO funny arriving at Port Canaveral for our December 2010 cruise. I wore skinny jeans, boots, and a tunic. I felt great in the weather, but I still laugh at the pics of me standing in front of the ship, covered neck to toe.

OK, after reading all of the posts and even putting in my two cents worth, I have one question! For all of you out there who wear jeans to travel in, HOW DO YOU DO IT? I'm sorry but even with a little Spandex in them, I don't get it . . . when you can wear so many stylish softer comfy pants (like those at JJill)! I'm serious . . . is it just a style thing . . . you think you look better in them? Or just to wear them so they don't add more weight in your suitcase? I mean, unless you are traveling in First Class or Business (which I prefer believe me :) ) you already have to contend with tighter seats and less leg room. Why would you bind yourself even more with jeans? I am not trying to start a fight here! I am looking for serious answers as I cannot wrap my mind around it! Thanks!

I totally agree mali! Never ever jeans for a long flight. And, with the TSA issues at the airport, nothing with a zipper, a no-bra bra (like a Genie), nothing with metal to set off a particularly sensitive metal detector.

If I'm just doing a hop of an hour or so, like Ontario (Calif) to Phoenix, I might wear jeans if I'm hitting the ground running, but it's all about being comfortable, maybe being able to sleep, and no contstriction.

OK, after reading all of the posts and even putting in my two cents worth, I have one question! For all of you out there who wear jeans to travel in, HOW DO YOU DO IT? I'm sorry but even with a little Spandex in them, I don't get it . . . when you can wear so many stylish softer comfy pants (like those at JJill)! I'm serious . . . is it just a style thing . . . you think you look better in them? Or just to wear them so they don't add more weight in your suitcase? I mean, unless you are traveling in First Class or Business (which I prefer believe me :) ) you already have to contend with tighter seats and less leg room. Why would you bind yourself even more with jeans? I am not trying to start a fight here! I am looking for serious answers as I cannot wrap my mind around it! Thanks!

Most of my jeans are extremely comfortable and tend to flatter more than knit/softer materials. I'd much rather wear jeans (when it's cold) and know I'll be comfortable. My Mavi jeans feel like pure heaven when I put them on!

Most of my jeans are extremely comfortable and tend to flatter more than knit/softer materials. I'd much rather wear jeans (when it's cold) and know I'll be comfortable. My Mavi jeans feel like pure heaven when I put them on!

Mine are comfy too. I wear jeans every single day during the cooler months. I've never been uncomfortable in them. I do own 1 pair of dressy pants. I wouldn't travel in them though, that would make me uncomfortable. I'm not too fond of wearing yoga/sweat style suits. There's nothing wrong with those, I just don't wear them. I also don't wear elastic waist, just a thing with me (except my pajamas lol).

I totally agree mali! Never ever jeans for a long flight. And, with the TSA issues at the airport, nothing with a zipper, a no-bra bra (like a Genie), nothing with metal to set off a particularly sensitive metal detector.

If I'm just doing a hop of an hour or so, like Ontario (Calif) to Phoenix, I might wear jeans if I'm hitting the ground running, but it's all about being comfortable, maybe being able to sleep, and no contstriction.

In all of my years of flying i've never set off the detector with my under wire bra (all I wear) or my zipper/button on my jeans. Neither have my husband or kids. We do remove belts of course.

I am with you on this. I've only worn jeans once, and it was a domestic flight; I had lost a bunch or weight and was wearing jeans that were quite loose, at that time, so I was ok with them.

I would actually be in severe pain (stomach) if I tried to wear my jeans to, say, Europe. And no, my jeans are not super-tight; I'm 67! Yes, they do look better than my khakis, but even with stretch they bind around the waist. In fact, some stretch jeans are actually worse as they don't loosen as you wear them.

I cruise when it's cold here and even if it's a short walk, I want the warmth. Plus, my jeans are comfortable. I wouldn't buy them if they weren't comfortable to sit in at work for 8 hours. I also think my jeans look nicer than any of my knit pants.

I like to look nice, but my main concern is comfort, especially for long flights. I quite often wear either a pair of khakis I have that have a lot of give in the waist or a pair of nice black slacks that also aren't binding. I hate jeans for travel, and usually don't wear them on a cruise anyway.

I layer for the top; short sleeve shirt, sweater, and wear or carry whatever light jacket I am taking along so that I don't have to pack it. I also, reluctantly, often wear my sneakers, since I want them on the trip and they take up a lot of room in the suitcase. If I can get them into the suitcase, then I wear a pair of slip-on shoes. I am amazed at all the women I see traveling in very high heels--my feet would be killing me.

I try to keep these options stylish, but sometimes comfort, especially on overnight flights, wins out.

I could have written this myself!!! feel the same as you do.. and even dress the same!!! Comfort is what counts!!

I'm struggling a little with the question of whether to wear my new knee-high boots on my flight to London for my transatlantic cruise. I wore them yesterday on my domestic flight, and they are pretty easy to pull off/put on at security, so that's not really an issue. And they are very comfortable to walk in so I'd really like to have them on the cruise for port days in December weather in Europe. BUT...I know my feet will swell somewhat on a long flight to Europe, and I'm not sure how comfortable they will be by the time I get to London (and still have many hours before I get to my cabin on the ship).

On the other hand I don't want them taking up space/weight in my checked luggage!

Logically I should probably just leave them home but I'm in love with them--just got them and they are SO nice! :)

On a domestic flight jeans are just fine, but on a transatlantic flight I am wearing my yoga pants and a really comfy t-shirt with a loose sweater or fleece over it. Which I suppose would also look goofy with my knee high boots! :)

I'm struggling a little with the question of whether to wear my new knee-high boots on my flight to London for my transatlantic cruise. I wore them yesterday on my domestic flight, and they are pretty easy to pull off/put on at security, so that's not really an issue. And they are very comfortable to walk in so I'd really like to have them on the cruise for port days in December weather in Europe. BUT...I know my feet will swell somewhat on a long flight to Europe, and I'm not sure how comfortable they will be by the time I get to London (and still have many hours before I get to my cabin on the ship).

On the other hand I don't want them taking up space/weight in my checked luggage!

Logically I should probably just leave them home but I'm in love with them--just got them and they are SO nice! :)

On a domestic flight jeans are just fine, but on a transatlantic flight I am wearing my yoga pants and a really comfy t-shirt with a loose sweater or fleece over it. Which I suppose would also look goofy with my knee high boots! :)

I have never worn my knee-high boots on a transatlantic flight. BUT I have worn both suade and riding boots for 14 hour marathon work day. I was fine in both as long as I had a thicker sock over my tights. What about a pair of denim leggings with the tshirt and fleece instead of yoga pants?

I'm a Jeans girl when I fly. It's a pair with a basic tank, simple sweater, scarf, slip-on shoe/sneaker, and my basic overdosed ll bean boat bag.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If it were me I would definitely not wear your boots on a long flight..... your feet will swell and they will probably end up uncomfortable and pinching your feet :( . If you really want to take them then you may have to consider sacrificing a couple of other items. But definitely don't wear them on the flight!

Mine are comfy too. I wear jeans every single day during the cooler months. I've never been uncomfortable in them. I do own 1 pair of dressy pants. I wouldn't travel in them though, that would make me uncomfortable. I'm not too fond of wearing yoga/sweat style suits. There's nothing wrong with those, I just don't wear them. I also don't wear elastic waist, just a thing with me (except my pajamas lol).

I have never understood the jeans-hate, either. My jeans are the most comfortable pants I own! I wonder if people who hate jeans buy the correct size.

I often wear jeans when we fly. I do have a pair of black slacks I wear if I'm going on business. They tend to wrinkle though, so I prefer to wear my jeans and change into my slacks when I arrive if there is time (and access to an iron), because I hate looking rumpled.

I have black, glorified pajama pants (seriously, the only thing that sets most yoga/gym wear apart from PJs is the fabric, IMO) I wear on red-eye flights. And sometimes I will wear leggings under a tunic, but I prefer to wear natural fibers when I fly, so mostly it's jeans.

Robin

Well, I NEVER said I hate jeans! I own jeans, I wear jeans, and I have colored jeans and skinny jeans. I definitely know how to buy my clothes and what size to buy for each brand I like. I'm 63 and I look good! And I can afford to buy nice things too! So this is NOT about hating anything! This is about not being comfortable traveling for any great distance in jeans. I'm sorry if that offends you! You have every right to wear what ever you want for travel as I have the right to ask for people to explain why they like to wear the jeans! And I think if you read these posts, you will see that the split is pretty much 50/50 on jeans or no jeans! However, I still haven't heard anyone explain WHY they think jeans are more comfortable, just that they are! Here's where I am at: knits have give/jeans not so much even with spandex (talking especially the butt and crotch area now :) ), knits don't stick to you/jeans stick like glue (they don't slide across your skin), if knits get wet they dry fairly well/jeans stay wet forever (such as someone next to you spills their drink when you hit an air pocket), knits don't wrinkle much/jeans have a tendency to wrinkle at the crease of your leg and knee after a long time sitting. Now when I say knits I mean natural fiber (I choose cotton) so in that category knits and jeans are equal! Let's keep it going girls. I thought your comments were quite interesting until things went sour! :confused:

It's not jeans hate! But, have you ever worn a pair of regular, cotton jeans on a 14 hour flight? I want a fabric that gives and moves and lets me sleep. Since I worked so hard to find a comfortable bra with some support and absolutely no metal, I'm not going to add in a zipper!

Frankly, during a long flight, where I'm sitting for hours, and hours, and hours (did I mention I'd be sitting for hours?) I tend to bloat. Knits are forgiving of that, jeans not so much.

I love my jeans and have at least a dozen pair and wear them frequently. Just not on long airplane rides.

It's not jeans hate! But, have you ever worn a pair of regular, cotton jeans on a 14 hour flight? I want a fabric that gives and moves and lets me sleep. Since I worked so hard to find a comfortable bra with some support and absolutely no metal, I'm not going to add in a zipper!

Yep, I have. Quite frankly, I'm never going to be comfortable on a plane for that long, no matter what I wear. At least not in coach seats. I think I look better in jeans than "comfy" knits - so that mental comfort outweighs any negligible comfort a knit would give, much like I feel the recline comfort is negligible (but that is a whole other heated topic we needn't get into).

Re the underwire: Like momto2inkc, I have never set off a detector, and I always wear an underwire. I have also worn gold jewelry when I've forgotten to take it off and been fine. Never any issues with jean zippers/grommets/buttons either.

Well, I NEVER said I hate jeans! I own jeans, I wear jeans, and I have colored jeans and skinny jeans. I definitely know how to buy my clothes and what size to buy for each brand I like. I'm 63 and I look good! And I can afford to buy nice things too! So this is NOT about hating anything! This is about not being comfortable traveling for any great distance in jeans. I'm sorry if that offends you! You have every right to wear what ever you want for travel as I have the right to ask for people to explain why they like to wear the jeans! And I think if you read these posts, you will see that the split is pretty much 50/50 on jeans or no jeans! However, I still haven't heard anyone explain WHY they think jeans are more comfortable, just that they are! Here's where I am at: knits have give/jeans not so much even with spandex (talking especially the butt and crotch area now :) ), knits don't stick to you/jeans stick like glue (they don't slide across your skin), if knits get wet they dry fairly well/jeans stay wet forever (such as someone next to you spills their drink when you hit an air pocket), knits don't wrinkle much/jeans have a tendency to wrinkle at the crease of your leg and knee after a long time sitting. Now when I say knits I mean natural fiber (I choose cotton) so in that category knits and jeans are equal! Let's keep it going girls. I thought your comments were quite interesting until things went sour! :confused:

To be honest, I only wear knit pants to the gym or the grocery store if I go there after the gym. It's just not my thing. And I wear jeans to sit at work all day every Friday so 3 hours on a plane is no big deal. I wore them on a flight to Europe with boots too.

mali06- I hope you didn't take my reply as 'sour', if so I didn't mean it that way.

As for your question about why I find jeans comfortable I don't know why, they just are to me :) I guess because its all I wear and what I'm used to. I've also never flown on a flight that lasted more than 2-3 hours (good thing about living in the Midwest). If I were flying overseas I'm honestly not sure what I'd wear.

Oh my, I can't believe how cantankerous this has become. For the record, I love my jeans and consider them one of the many bennies of cooler weather. I just don't like them on long flights. I wear the correct size (really, that's your explanation?) and wear relaxed fit. I'm happy they are comfy for you on three hour flights. I'm heading to Australia n a 14-hour non-stop and as I said, I (not you, not everyone) find them constricting for that long a flight. There are knit pants that hold their shape and are not sweats - really, there are.

I'm also happy that your underwire, zipper, and jewelry did not set off the metal detectors. I've had them go off from an underwire, from a zipper, and when I wore a wireless bra, from the hooks in the back. Maybe California is just more paranoid, who know?

What is true for some of us may not be true for others. It doesn't make any of us wrong.

I didn't mean you yourself hated jeans. I've seen 'I hate jeans' posted over and over by many people across many travel topics over the years. I'm sorry if you thought I was 'sour'. It's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I specifically like jeans because they give me some support in my midsection (but not too much as I don't like them tight) and they have pockets. I am a mess without pockets! I also find them warmer (except when the wind blows) than knits.

I really don't care what anyone wears (unless it's a pineapple on your head like a poster on the HAL forum used to say). I think I've seen it all as I've flown A LOT. People dress up; people wear pajamas. Wear what you like and find most comfortable! I like jeans. I have flown from LAX to Auckland, New Zealand; from Sydney, Australia, to LAX; and round-trip from LAX to Seoul all wearing my jeans! Overnight to Europe or down to Puerto Rico, I wore black cotton knit pants (with pockets, of course).

Robin

Robin 7: Sorry if I took it the wrong way! I guess I had been reading a thread with alot of negatives in it and then read yours. That is the problem with writing instead of talking . . . you miss the inflection and nuance! Are we all good? Let's start over! I too have to have pockets! I just bought a new tunic top, not only cause it looked good but it had pockets in the coolest spot! :)

Robin 7: Sorry if I took it the wrong way! I guess I had been reading a thread with alot of negatives in it and then read yours. That is the problem with writing instead of talking . . . you miss the inflection and nuance! Are we all good? Let's start over! I too have to have pockets! I just bought a new tunic top, not only cause it looked good but it had pockets in the coolest spot! :)

Yes, we are all good. Long live pockets!!! :D

Which brings up a question: Why do manufacturers put either no pockets or such tiny pockets in women's pants? Do most women really prefer no pockets? Is it a vanity thing and they think we don't want that sliver of material to 'bulk up' our hips??

I have terrible allergies so must have a tissue at hand at all times (or use my sleeve :eek:). There's nowhere to put it in most women's clothing! Plus at the airport, I will misplace my driver's license and boarding pass between check-in and security if I don't put them in my pocket. I have tried in my purse or in my carryon bag. My pocket is just so much more convenient!

Robin

We're all different, that's for sure. I don't really like pockets, especially the slanted ones that stick out, and part of it is because they make hips look wider, and often It think it ruins the line of the pants.

But, I seldom if ever put anything in pockets if I have them; I use my purse instead. I especially don't like pockets in knit pants, like work-out pants, sweats or yoga pants.

I'm always wondering why there are so many pockets! So, different strokes for different folks!:)

If I do not stick my keys in a pocket as soon as I enter a store I can lose them anywhere, in store, in purse, in shopping bags! Because when I'm shopping, I am a machine and I forget all about things like keys!

Robin7: I too need Kleenex regularly as I have had a drippy nose ever since chemo and I am allergic to the fabric finish on new clothes in the stores! :eek: So give me my Kleenex and a pocket and let me shop! :)

If I do not stick my keys in a pocket as soon as I enter a store I can lose them anywhere, in store, in purse, in shopping bags! Because when I'm shopping, I am a machine and I forget all about things like keys!

Robin7: I too need Kleenex regularly as I have had a drippy nose ever since chemo and I am allergic to the fabric finish on new clothes in the stores! :eek: So give me my Kleenex and a pocket and let me shop! :)

I like pockets too, but you are right~ on some pants, especially pleated front pants they can make you look wider than you are.... who needs that? :rolleyes: I also think pants that have a fluffy placket at the front zipper can make you look bigger than you are, so I try to find flat front, side zip slacks.

I think with jeans it's your body shape that determines whether they are comfy or not. I love jeans and wear them a lot in the winter, but not for travel. I find that the fabric on the seam of the inner thighs pinch and bind when I sit for long periods. If I got them bigger, I'd look like I had droopy drawers!:eek: For that reason I buy jean style (5 pocket) Ponte pants for travel. They look like black jeans, but have the forgiveness of knit. The knit is heavy enough to look like pants, not sweats.

Archived