What is your travel day ensemble?

ComeSailWithME

I like pockets too, but you are right~ on some pants, especially pleated front pants they can make you look wider than you are.... who needs that? :rolleyes: I also think pants that have a fluffy placket at the front zipper can make you look bigger than you are, so I try to find flat front, side zip slacks.

I agree, at least on me. I tend to carry extra weight in my lower abdomen. I recently saw a picture of myself wearing a pair of jeans with pleats from 33 years ago. They also had skinny ankles, and I had my hands in my pockets. I looked just like a big ice cream cone! And I was so thin!!!! It was not a good look on me. Yet I see some women wearing pants like that, and they look fabulous! I just need to be six inches taller and 50 pounds lighter!

Robin

I agree, at least on me. I tend to carry extra weight in my lower abdomen. I recently saw a picture of myself wearing a pair of jeans with pleats from 33 years ago. They also had skinny ankles, and I had my hands in my pockets. I looked just like a big ice cream cone! And I was so thin!!!! It was not a good look on me. Yet I see some women wearing pants like that, and they look fabulous! I just need to be six inches taller and 50 pounds lighter!

Robin

OH yeah!!! I remember that look! :D With the permed/ farrah fawcette hair (this isn't me):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqNfwB0BGWrCohzjFLtLISXuX6p1SU5FR1LdFwcAo7YiIzcgbR2w

and peg leg pleated pants! :eek:

medium.png

OH yeah!!! I remember that look! :D With the permed/ farrah fawcette hair (this isn't me):

Yes! Exactly it. Except my hair was a short version of that. Sigh. What was I thinking???? I could stuff an entire BOX of Kleenex in those pockets! And mali06's keys! ;) And still have room for my boarding pass and driver's license. So funny! I love how styles change. Wait a few years, and it'll be back, and I'll still wish I was six inches taller and 50 pounds lighter!

Meanwhile I'd like to look like this when I travel:

Cameron Diaz

cameron-diaz-at-the-airport-620bes123010.jpg

She's wearing boots!

Or this (except for the sandals which I think are adorable, my feet get too cold and I have to wear ugly compression stockings):

Kim Kardashian:

kimkardashianJFK.jpg

Or this. See the boots again?

Jessica Alba:

jessicaalba.jpg

Robin

Yes! Exactly it. Except my hair was a short version of that. Sigh. What was I thinking???? I could stuff an entire BOX of Kleenex in those pockets! And mali06's keys! ;) And still have room for my boarding pass and driver's license. So funny! I love how styles change. Wait a few years, and it'll be back, and I'll still wish I was six inches taller and 50 pounds lighter!

Meanwhile I'd like to look like this when I travel:

Cameron Diaz

cameron-diaz-at-the-airport-620bes123010.jpg

She's wearing boots!

Or this (except for the sandals which I think are adorable, my feet get too cold and I have to wear ugly compression stockings):

Kim Kardashian:

kimkardashianJFK.jpg

Or this. See the boots again?

Jessica Alba:

jessicaalba.jpg

Robin

They all look adorable, but let's face it, you can look much more adorable in first class than in steerage! :rolleyes:

My "go to" travel outfit is typically black jeans w/ flats or sandals (depending on the season), either a long or short sleeve top and a light-weight cardigan. I like having options for layering clothing. We travel from the Northeast, so depending on whether we are "crossing the pond" or heading to FL, we plan on comfort. We're leaving this weekend for a cruise out of the Port of Miami. It will be cold when we leave Boston early in the a.m. but warm (ahhhh, yes!) when we arrive in FL. We've been known to change into shorts or capris at our destination airport or while in the air!

Wear what makes you comfy and happy! There are no right or wrongs...simply a matter of personal preference. You'll see all kinds of clothing at airports and on planes!

I always travel in a decent pair of black pants and a nice non-wrinkle washable top. If our luggage should get lost, having a decent pair of black pants to 'work off of' would make life much easier to find clothes to make do with until luggage is found.

That is my travel outfit and unfortunately had to count on it for 5 days in Copenhagen. I traveled in black pants, a top and a black cardigan. The trip was a business conference (luckily suits were not needed) and then personal time. I bought 2 colorful tanks, a scarf and a pair of flats, and got by on that. I had some basic make up and a change of underwear in my carry on.

I am a light packer – but this was ridiculous!

As I am now scared of lost luggage, if flying to a warm weather cruise I wear something that can pass for dinner on the ship, and have a swimsuit and basic make up in may carry on. I don't worry about formal wear as most ships have sort of black dress/cover-up that can pass as a dress or some sort of sequined top I can wear with the slacks .

m

I need to be comfy when I travel. I usually wear a wrap cardigan, t shirt, soft trouser jeans, vinyasa scarf(from lululemon---love these scarves!! Can be used as a scarf, cardigan, vest, or as your blanket on the plane and it is verrrry soft), and comfy athletic shoes. I also use one of my hats...style depends on the weather where I'm leaving from and heading to, but I lurve my fedoras. Great for masking crazy travel hair from long flights or for pulling down low over my eyes when I sleep.

It's not jeans hate! But, have you ever worn a pair of regular, cotton jeans on a 14 hour flight? I want a fabric that gives and moves and lets me sleep. Since I worked so hard to find a comfortable bra with some support and absolutely no metal, I'm not going to add in a zipper!

Frankly, during a long flight, where I'm sitting for hours, and hours, and hours (did I mention I'd be sitting for hours?) I tend to bloat. Knits are forgiving of that, jeans not so much.

I love my jeans and have at least a dozen pair and wear them frequently. Just not on long airplane rides.

I don't get the not wearing underwire bras I fly all the time and have never had my bra set off the metal detectors. For me I would feel so uncomfortable not having a good under wire on. For me one of my biggest pet peeves is women who don't wear their bras wright makes me crazy..:eek:I just want to go up to them and say do you have any idea how much better you would look if you had the wright bra on.:)

As far as jeans for flying I think they are just as comfortable as other pants.

Most "underwire" bras aren't metal anymore, but composite or plastic. But, I did have one "old style" underwire that I accidentally wore once on a flight home from Phoenix. Yep, I alarmed. The obnoxious TSA clerk, well, she yelled out "female alarm, probably her bra". Thanks for announcing it to everyone standing around. Got the obligatory feel up of my breasts with the PALMS of the hands...

Call me bad for wearing what some are calling "inappropriate" foundations, but I'm wearing a soft-cup bra when I travel. Even non-metal underwires are uncomfy to me when I'm forced to cram myself into a flying sardine can where I have to usually share my shoulder space with someone else and fight for a portion of an armrest for a 6 hour flight...I dress for comfort. It's usually a Tshirt, whatever long pants I'm taking on the trip (my favorite Prana cammo pants right now), and whatever I'm taking on my trip as my jacket. A scarf is sometimes added if I'm traveling into a metropolitan area. I personally don't care if someone else thinks my clothes are sloppy, slobby, or inappropriate. I'm not dressing to impress anyone.

I did get a chuckle out of the "ensemble" title. When I think of travel ensemble, I think of the ladies of the 50s and 60s who wore the 2 piece dress suits with those cute little pillbox hats and gloves :)

Heres the thing I think everyone has a diff idea of what is travel wear.

And thats fine. For me I used to always travel in a dress and heels now I wear flats most of the time, I travel with my grandson a lot and the flight we take to go home to mommy and daddy just isn't heel friendly. We land at concourse A and have to run to concourse C in about 30 to 40 min. to make our next flight puddle jumper. So flats it is.

Now the bra thing its just my thing I'm a 36 DD so those puppys need to be contained..LOL And I don't find a underwire or any bra to be uncomferable. But I really do think a lot of women have no idea how to wear a bra the straps are to low or the band is to tight or not enough support and so on. We all have our peeves and thats mine. :)

I've actually had a bra fitting done by The Bra Whisperer (google that!). My bras do fit well. I've even splurged for two Primma Donna bras(!) that I need a good man to date so that I can show them off :D

I've just never been comfortable with most underwires - it's just me. And I am definitely not petite on top. I have a running joke with some of my B and C-blessed friends that I'd be willing to be a tissue donor if they want to get a boob job :p

I never trust any TSA clerk and their uncalibrated hardware. It's all for show, not really for any meaningful security purposes. I'll do whatever it takes to not have to have another disgraceful, sexual assault by one of them...

And as I have said before - yes I have set off the alarm with my underwire, with my jeans zipper, with the hooks in the back of my bra, with the steel shank in my shoe (back in the day), and one time with the foil on a roll of Tums in my pocket. So I won't wear underwires, jeans, etc because the only person who gets to feel me up is DH.

As for comfort, most of my cruises have been in Europe and the next one is down under. I need to get at least a little sleep if at all possible. I squirm, I twist, I turn and the least amount of friction with my clothes I can manage the better. I also tend to bloat up some sitting in an airplane seat for what seems like forever, so the more forgiving my waistband the better.

But, as I've also said, that's just me. I wasn't trying to sell anyone else on anything. The question was, what do you wear, and I answered it.

P.S. I promise that when you see me at dinner onboard I won't resemble the bleary-eyed barely coherent bag lady you saw stumbling off the airplane.

DH likes to dress up to fly, and that's where we (figuratively) part company. Dressing up for a man means a suit or sportcoat and flat shoes, but for women, it almost always means heels or other marginally wearable shoes and possibly stockings too. Besides, my biggest shoes are generally my walking ones, so I like to wear them and pack the dress shoes.

I told him a couple of years ago that I was going for comfort, and if he wants to come off the plane with his nice suit all rumpled from being crammed in a tiny airline seat for several hours, that's his prerogative. I find it hard enough to feel anything less than dragged out when by the time I land - I don't want my feet to hurt and my nice clothes to be wrinkled (and possibly spilled on) too.

I usually wear yoga pants or a jogging suit of sorts. They actually call them travel suits on sites like Magellan's or TravelSmith.

I always wear something comfortable, but the main article is a pair of paper slippers from my doctor. I can't stand the idea of walking without shoes on a filthy floor or having my socks mop the floor then putting on shoes. For me going through the TSA check point is less demeaning. Just a little less but still the pits!! I slip the paper shoes on as I'm approaching the "Strip Area" , go through, put regular shoes on, and toss the paper. Easy.

I don't get the not wearing underwire bras I fly all the time and have never had my bra set off the metal detectors. For me I would feel so uncomfortable not having a good under wire on. For me one of my biggest pet peeves is women who don't wear their bras wright makes me crazy..:eek:I just want to go up to them and say do you have any idea how much better you would look if you had the wright bra on.:)

As far as jeans for flying I think they are just as comfortable as other pants.

Have you ever worn jeans on a 8+ hour flight? Not comfortable. I love jeans for every day wear and such. I wear them on most domestic flights since those are usually four hours or shorter. For international flights, I'm all about comfort. I flew to Hong Kong in jeans once (15.5 hour flight). I wore yoga pants on the flight home! Since I travel internationally quite often, I bought some Chico's travelers. I only wear them for international flights. I pair these with a knit camisole or fitted t-shirt and a cardigan, and I'm good to go. To each their own, but I don't find jeans comfortable for long flights. I generally don't see other women in jeans either.

I haven't worn jeans on a long flight. But I have worn jeans on a very very long drive 24 hours. I truly didn't find them to be binding like so many have said. This is what I wear when flying in the fall & winter a sweater dress or skirt and sleveless sweater and cardy I always have a wrap of some kind in my bag. I also always wear some kind of tights Helps stop any legg and feet swelling with slip off flats. This way I look and feel good.

With that said I am a skirt and dress girl. The only time I wear runners are when I'm working out. :)

All of our flights to cruises have been long, 14 to 17 hours & I wear pretty much the same thing everytime: black capri leggings, a loose long tank top, a big thin cotton or cashmere blend sweater, & a big scarf, all with ballet flats. I can shove 4 more variations of this outfit in my carry on along with a pillow, small blanket, & I can sleep on the plane & don't have to worry if my checked bag goes missing. DH always wears cargo shorts, & tee shirt & a fleece pullover, but puts on his flannel pj bottoms right after dinner is served. I used to bring slippers in the carry on to walk to the restroom, but last few flights they've given us the care bag with either slippers or slipper socks so I don't bother any more.

& Jeans? jeans are not my friend, even though I think they look adorable! I like stretchy, cool, light clothing, so they just don't work for me.

A bit off topic, but DH need some clothes fast for a trip about a month ago, the people he was meeting with usually wear good jeans, tee shirts & blazers, so he needed something to fit in with them fast! He came home a bit traumatized... apparently the personal shopper guy had tried to introduce him to "skinny jeans" he was not impressed. :eek:

I travel at least 12-15 weeks every year for work. My go to outfit is black stretchy pants, a long tank and a wrap sweater. Depending on season I am either wearing UGGs or sandals. I have had way too many airport delays to choose fashion over function.

Several years ago I opted to go in a comfy outfit (yoga pants, tank top, sweater and runners) for a very long series of flights to get to Kenya. Our luggage got lost and we ended up leaving for safari the day after arrival. I managed to purchase a pair of shorts prior to leaving on safari but quickly wished I had worn a nicer outfit for traveling.

Since that day I have never worn anything so casual to travel. I often will wear a nice pair of black golf pants that have a bit of stretch, a nice white long sleeved blouse that is one of those non wrinkle type, a scarf for some colour, a cashmere cardigan and black flats. I always pack a pair of socks in my carry on in case my feet get cold and when I go to the washroom or get up in the aisles, I always put my shoes back on. I also always pack a cashmere shawl, a couple of pairs of underwear, a bathing suit, my cosmetics, some moisturizer and my straightener in my carry on. At least if my luggage gets lost I'll look more presentable until I can get a couple of other items to wear.

Funny...I have an ensemble that I always wear when I travel. I always wear a variation of it and my DH makes fun of me ( in a kind way ) by saying " what are you wearing on the plane."

Cruise Kitty and I are almost twins!

I wear black leggings , a white tee , an ethnic printed black and white scarf , a long black knit cardigan/coat and black ballet flats. i have an oversize black handbag. I also carry a black trench in my carry-on.

I like this outfit as black hides dirt , the leggings are very comfortable , the ballet flats are easy going through security and I look pulled together , but am comfortable! My ethnic scarf is very big and I can wrap myself in it if I get cold.

I too carry socks in my bag and after I am settled , i remove my shoes and slip on the socks to sleep. Some airlines provide disposible socks which I use.

It is nice not having to wonder what to wear , mu uniform suits me!

I tend to do a layering thing... because I find planes can vary from hot to cold in the same flight.

So I layer a tank top or short sleeve with an overshirt, comfortable pants of some kind (most of my flights lately are international) no socks and slip on flats.... I also bring a pashmina scarf that doubles as a blanket for around my neck and shoulders (don't like airplane blankets too close to my face)

When we fly which we will be doing in December for cruise out of Port Canaveral.....I always wear sweatpants, hooded sweatshirt, and comfy shoes. Sweatpants and sweatshirt take up the most room in the suitcase so I wear that in order to be comfortable. I'm not trying to impress anyone on the plane :p

I haven't worn jeans on a long flight. But I have worn jeans on a very very long drive 24 hours. I truly didn't find them to be binding like so many have said. This is what I wear when flying in the fall & winter a sweater dress or skirt and sleveless sweater and cardy I always have a wrap of some kind in my bag. I also always wear some kind of tights Helps stop any legg and feet swelling with slip off flats. This way I look and feel good.

With that said I am a skirt and dress girl. The only time I wear runners are when I'm working out. :)

I think we have a similar sense of style. :)

Personally I've worn jeans from JFK to SYD (via LAX) and was perfectly comfortable all 22 hours. I wear jeans that fit and it works for me, if it doesn't work for others, that's great, I don't care. I think that people should wear whatever makes them feel comfrotable on the inside and outside.

I've never seen fashion, function and comfort as being at odds with each other. There are so many clothing options out that that fit all 3. :)

OK, after reading all of the posts and even putting in my two cents worth, I have one question! For all of you out there who wear jeans to travel in, HOW DO YOU DO IT? I'm sorry but even with a little Spandex in them, I don't get it . . . when you can wear so many stylish softer comfy pants (like those at JJill)! I'm serious . . . is it just a style thing . . . you think you look better in them? Or just to wear them so they don't add more weight in your suitcase? I mean, unless you are traveling in First Class or Business (which I prefer believe me :) ) you already have to contend with tighter seats and less leg room. Why would you bind yourself even more with jeans? I am not trying to start a fight here! I am looking for serious answers as I cannot wrap my mind around it! Thanks!

I know this question is from a few weeks ago but I thought I'd throw in my tuppence along with a subsequent sillilloquy! LOL

I'm comfortable in them. :) Short flights, long flights, layovers, stopovers and hangovers :D They're comfy. Perhaps it's the style or fit of the jeans. I'm a dark wash, slim fit boot cut kind of girl and will wear them and a pair of low heels or comfy flats for general day to day activities as well as travel. There's no pinching or uncomfortability whatsoever.

If I'm really dressing down I'll wear a pair of cargo pants. I "test" wore a pair on a flight to Miami and felt like a frump. Practical but I don't think I'll be doing that again for a flight, but I will wear them out especially if I want pockets.

I checked out JJill website to get an idea of the clothing style, and I think in the end if comes down to that, style. Not to offend those that love to shop there but the dresses would never be an option for me and the knit pants are the style of clothes I wear on the treadmill and to work out but not to the grocery store.

I'm sure the type of clothes I sometimes wear are probably considered showy and perhaps even "too much" by some and they wouldn't feel comfortable wearing what I wear. Shrug. Variety is the spice of life!

Comfort inside and outside, finding that balance makes you happy in your clothes and your skin. :)

Archived