Trouble with Fly part of Fly/cruise

Birubi

Our flight arrangements have just been changed so that we are now scheduled to arrive just 2hr prior to the ships departure time.

We have been in touch with HAL and asked for changes to be made as we expect that after a 20hr travel time we will experience delay and miss the ship.

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, that the ship will not be held and that they have put in place a next port protection for us that will pay for the flight to the next port and 3 nights accommodation before we join the ship.

I am now trying to find out about this next port protection.

Does anyone have experience of it? How does it work out? If the plane lands on time and the delay is in picking up luggage, going through customs and travelling to the port is the next port protection still valid? Will the word of the passenger be accepted or will we have to gather proof of the delay?

All ideas appreciated.

Several questions come to mind

Where is the port of embarkation? What is the first port of call? How long is this after embarkation?

When are you sailing? Are you beyond final payment?

I can't believe that HAL have arranged a flight for you that lands only 2 hours before the ship sails

You asked this question in another section and I replied:

I would not be a happy camper with those arrangements. HAL is known (also other cruise lines) for selecting the worst possible flight arrangements as they are the cheapest.

Did you pay for HAL's deviation air where you give them the flights you wanted?

If I were you, I would call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 and get those flights changed if at all possible.

Be prepared to supply them with suggested flights.

I would not accept such a flight schedule.

It is impractical and way too stressful.

What is this about port protection? The point is not for you to plan in advance to miss the ship....... rather for HAL to provide flights that under reasonable circumstances will get you to the ship in time to board for your entire cruise. They should not be planning in advance you will miss a part of your cruise and have the hassle and stress of onward travel to join the ship.

If you have a TA, she should be vigorously working this matter with HAL. Anything less is unacceptable.

IMO

Our flight arrangements have just been changed so that we are now scheduled to arrive just 2hr prior to the ships departure time.

We have been in touch with HAL and asked for changes to be made as we expect that after a 20hr travel time we will experience delay and miss the ship.

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, that the ship will not be held and that they have put in place a next port protection for us that will pay for the flight to the next port and 3 nights accommodation before we join the ship.

Does anyone have experience of it? How does it work out? If the plane lands on time and the delay is in picking up luggage, going through customs and travelling to the port is the next port protection still valid? Will the word of the passenger be accepted or will we have to gather proof of the delay?

All ideas appreciated.

did the airlines make a schedule change? my answer on what to do would depend on this. in any event, are you after final payment?

If I were you, I would call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 and get those flights changed if at all possible.

S/he said:

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, ...

I recently started a thread asking about the worst possible flights. 20 hours traveling, arriving 2 hours before departure would be the worst. I figure an hour for immigration, baggage claim, and customs. Well, you might make it. Your only hope is that HAL will have staff waiting to rush you to the pier. The next port protection plan is worrisome.

I do not sign up for a cruise to spend three nights in a hotel instead. Will HAL pick up the costs of meals, tips, sightseeing, entertainment and transportation?

The way I read the cruise contract, Holland America has no obligations to you if you miss the cruise. Did you buy their cruise protection plan (whatever it is called).?

It would be totally unacceptable to me to have such flight arrangements made and be told there is no alternative. There is always an alternative! Two hours between flight arrival and ship departure is never acceptable, especially if there are connecting flights and customs issues which is apparently the case if you are expecting 20 hours travel time. Between customs and baggage collection the whole two hours can easily be eaten up.

I agree that your first move should be to contact ship services if you booked directly with HAL. If with a travel agent I would speak with the agent's superior and keep going up the chain of command.

Depending on your star status with HAL you might have to pay $50 for an air deviation or it might be a free service. In any case it seems to me it would be well worth the cost, rather than missing three days of your cruise. Practice the phrase "That is not acceptable." and keep repeating it in a very pleasant tone of voice until you get what you want.

Another possibility would be to ask that you be scheduled to fly in one day early. Again, the deviation fee and cost of the hotel would be well worth it. You need not use HAL's expensive hotel option either, you can find a good hotel in your price range on priceline.

Just another suggestion while I'm at it. Be sure to pack a few snacks in your carry-on. In your dash for connections you might not have time to grab a snack in the airport and airline food is either expensive or non-existent.

S/he said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birubi viewpost.gif

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, ...

That isn't good enough.

I would not settle for that as an answer.

I cannot speak for anyone but myself but that is unacceptable and I would not simply nod to that.

I don't always quietly go away just because someone says I should.

Hello again, hope all works out well for you. We actually could have met in person on the 34 day circumnavigate Australia section of your cruise. My Sis and I were booked but had to cancel. (I used the look-up function with your name to learn on which cruise you were booked.)

Now that I know your incoming flight is into Vancouver I would be even more worried. Customs there can be a nightmare! Plus the drive from airport to pier can take as much as 45 min. depending on traffic.

That isn't good enough.

I would not settle for that as an answer.

My point to KK, who suggested that they "get in touch with HAL" and try to get it changed was that they already have:

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements,

What they're asking now is

Nobody is attempting to answer that question. I can't either, as I have no experience in trying to catch up to the ship.

OP: my belief is that no matter what the reason is for missing the ship, HAL is promising to get you to the next port and put you up in a hotel until the ship gets there.

?..we are now scheduled to arrive just 2hr prior to the ships departure time.

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, that the ship will not be held and that they have put in place a next port protection...

I would be a nervous wreck were this ever to happen to me. Please let us know what happens.

Hello again, hope all works out well for you. We actually could have met in person on the 34 day circumnavigate Australia section of your cruise. My Sis and I were booked but had to cancel. (I used the look-up function with your name to learn on which cruise you were booked.)

Now that I know your incoming flight is into Vancouver I would be even more worried. Customs there can be a nightmare! Plus the drive from airport to pier can take as much as 45 min. depending on traffic.

Nobody has mentioned the fact that passengers are required to be aboard the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing or be denied boarding if it is an American port.

It appears this cruise is sailing from Vancouver so the 90 minute U.S. regulation would not apply.

I have no idea what Canadian regulation might be applicable.

Hopefully, OP has been quiet today as they are working with their TA/HAL and are trying to made better arrangements.

Just because 'someone' at HAL said they couldn't do anything, it might be a good idea to find 'someone else' with which to speak.

How outrageous IMO for, in advance, this person was told they would give them port protection...... What??!@!@@@

Give them a flight that gets them to the ship on time gven normal and usual departure etc

[/b]

Nobody has mentioned the fact that passengers are required to be aboard the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing or be denied boarding if it is an American port.
That's a common misconception. HAL must have your information in their files 90 minutes before sailing, and if that's done you could be allowed to sail if you just get there before they pull in the gangway. From Know Before You Go:

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

However, with the new emphasis on the Muster Drill since Concordia, if you miss that you could be denied boarding. So the real deadline is probably 45 minutes before sailing, from any country.

IIRC just this year there were a couple of instances at FLL where people were allowed to board very close to sailing because HAL people at the airport had told the ship they were en route.

Embarkation is not from a U.S. port.

HAL always used to conduct 'make up' muster drill for guests who arrived late. I don't know for fact they still do since Concordia but expect it is probable.

When we listen to the radio calls at embarkations in Port Everglades on the web cam site, we often hear the question asked about late arriving guests....... "Are they independents ?" If they are traveling on HAL arranged flights seems to be of interest in making these decisions.

Please read my post #18.

What you say is true but I have read that you have to be sure that your info on online check-in is 100% percent correct. If there are any errors you cannot correct them inside the 90 minute window.

This thread is a good argument for flying in a few days early. There are just too many variables that could come into play.

The OP needs to move up the chain of command until they find somebody with some common sense.

What you say is true but I have read that you have to be sure that your info on online check-in is 100% percent correct. If there are any errors you cannot correct them inside the 90 minute window.
The first 30 minutes is the correction window. If there are errors when the info is passed to the gov't at 60 minutes then you're outta luck.

Archived