Trouble with Fly part of Fly/cruise

Birubi

Several questions come to mind

Where is the port of embarkation? What is the first port of call? How long is this after embarkation?

When are you sailing? Are you beyond final payment?

I can't believe that HAL have arranged a flight for you that lands only 2 hours before the ship sails

I think what happened is that the flight HAL arranged was changed by the airlines, not HAL, when the airline changed its flight schedule. We've had

lots of problems with airlines changing schedules, not always cruise related.

Our flight arrangements have just been changed so that we are now scheduled to arrive just 2hr prior to the ships departure time.

We have been in touch with HAL and asked for changes to be made as we expect that after a 20hr travel time we will experience delay and miss the ship.

They have let us know that there is no possibility of a change to the flight arrangements, that the ship will not be held and that they have put in place a next port protection for us that will pay for the flight to the next port and 3 nights accommodation before we join the ship.

I am now trying to find out about this next port protection.

Does anyone have experience of it? How does it work out? If the plane lands on time and the delay is in picking up luggage, going through customs and travelling to the port is the next port protection still valid? Will the word of the passenger be accepted or will we have to gather proof of the delay?

All ideas appreciated.

I don't know what port protection is. I simply want to tell you to try calling the AIRLINE and ask them for an earlier departure. Since THEY are the ones who changed the schedule they might be able to put you on an earlier flight and not charge you the change fee since it was THEM not you who made the change. We did that when an airline flight change gave us less than 30 minutes between flights. Instead of giving us the later flight they'd changed us to, they gave us an earlier flight at no extra fee since it was them who'd made the original change, not us.

I think what happened is that the flight HAL arranged was changed by the airlines, not HAL, when the airline changed its flight schedule. We've had

lots of problems with airlines changing schedules, not always cruise related.

I don't know what port protection is. I simply want to tell you to try calling the AIRLINE and ask them for an earlier departure. Since THEY are the ones who changed the schedule they might be able to put you on an earlier flight and not charge you the change fee since it was THEM not you who made the change. We did that when an airline flight change gave us less than 30 minutes between flights. Instead of giving us the later flight they'd changed us to, they gave us an earlier flight at no extra fee since it was them who'd made the original change, not us.

i think you are both correct. i asked earlier if this was a change made by the airline. unfortunately, the OP has not come back. if it is a significant change, the airline is obligated to move them to an acceptable flight. if is is a smaller change, no. they still might, but won't be obligated.

NMLady made some excellent points. I hope the OP keeps us informed, but doesn't think we're nagging her to take action. I'm guessing she is plenty frustrated already. I suppose it is possible that home is in a fairly remote or rural area with limited airline service and connections. In that case, leaving a day early might improve the picture. With a couple of weeks remaining before departure there's a good chance things will work out.

I agree with Sail7Seas that it is outrageous that this far out the TA is already making promises about helping them catch up with their cruise rather than finding ways to get them to Vancouver so they can board as scheduled.

So if this TA is already making arrangements for the OP (by the sounds of it) -- cruise leaves on Sept 26 from Vancouver and it's first stop is Sept 29 in LA before the Volendam heads across the Pacific -- it sounds like this TA knows that OP will have to catch the ship there.

We all know that airlines do change schedules - and we have been caught a couple of times when the flights were cancelled on the day we were to fly, but I guess the best thing to do is always fly to the departure port one or two days early. Thankfully we always do this.

Now that the work crew have left for the day and I have time to think, this is not a good situation.

OP will be flying to Seattle and may or may not make the ship.

If OP misses the ship, then arrangments have to made to fly her to LA. Hotels in Vancouver and hotels in LA. Will HAL pay for all this? What about food?

Three days are involved here.

If OP misses the ship, then arrangments have to made to fly her to LA. Hotels in Vancouver and hotels in LA. Will HAL pay for all this?

The OP said:
... they have put in place a next port protection for us that will pay for the flight to the next port and 3 nights accommodation before we join the ship.

What about food?
That's why the OP is asking
Does anyone have experience of it? How does it work out?

In case you didn't realize, Birubi is in Australia and made her first post late last night our time. She may only be just getting up as it is only 7.30 am here.

Of course! Thanks aussiedisneyfan for the heads up.

Good morning Birubi. Hope you had a restful night as your CC friends lept into the breech to solve your problem. Today will be a better day!

Find a better flight arrival.

Call HAL and tell them the current arrangement is unacceptable.

I got an 2 e-mails in the last hour since someone I converse with knows that I have several people on my "Ignore" list.

Gee -- I wonder if you will get jumped on like I have been a couple of times on this thread?

Hello everyone,

Thankyou for all your feedback. I went to bed after posting last night and with cup of tea in hand came on to CC and found all your responses.

I know it is a dire situation but I must admit that your responses have made me feel that I am not over reacting about the 2hrs to get to the ship from the plane.

I could not agree with you more Sail7Seas

What is this about port protection? The point is not for you to plan in advance to miss the ship....... rather for HAL to provide flights that under reasonable circumstances will get you to the ship in time to board for your entire cruise. They should not be planning in advance you will miss a part of your cruise and have the hassle and stress of onward travel to join the ship.

Thanks NMLady and 2ofUs

The original flight arrangements from HAL were for an Air Canada flight which is still departing Sydney at 10.25am direct to Vancouver arriving 7.30am and giving us 7 hours to get from plane to ship. HAL advised our TA that they were changing our flight arrangements because they had found a cheaper flight. We are now flying Air NZ at 11.30am to Auckland with a 3hr stop over and plane change on to Vancouver.

It is HAL who have set up the next port protection and advised us that it will cover airflights to LA and accommodation. Although they answered our TA's enquirery about whether we would have to fly on to LA the same day by allowing us to stay in Vancouver overnight before sending us on.

We were never told that we could purchase air deviation.

Hi Aussiedisneyfan - boy what a let down!! Dad thought he was getting a good deal, with flights included - he found it himself and dealt direct with HAL. He feels now he has been conned as it looks like the only way out of the situation is to pay more money to fly earlier. Our regular TA has been amazing when we let her know she has gone right in to bat for us even thought she did not set up the trip.

I will keep you informed but you have to factor in our time difference. Now you sleep in your snug cosy beds and I am awake with a busy day ahead and cold and blustery weather to contend with.

Birubi,

Thank you for the update.

We all feel badly you are in this situation and think it very wrong for this to happen. For HAL to cancel a flight that would have worked fine for you and substitute it with a flight that does not work is disrespectful, at best. There are many other adjectives I could use but won't.

We are all hoping they 'see the light' and get this straightened out so you can go about getting excited and packed and looking forward to what surely will be a wonderful cruise.

We'll look forward to hopefully hearing good news from you. We're rooting for your TA. :)

Gee -- I wonder if you will get jumped on like I have been a couple of times on this thread?

Seems like a few people on cc took their cranky pills this week.

OP, sure hope you can get those flights changed.....oh I guess I shouldn't say that:rolleyes:.

Obviously HAL has run the numbers and found with the cheaper later Air NZ flights, even factoring in the cost of a flight to LA and 3 nights in a hotel, HAL will still be saving money. The risk of OP not making the ship before it departs and missing 3 days of her cruise is so great that this almost borders on fraud.

It should be possible with the Air NZ flight # into Vancouver to look it up on Flightaware or Flight Tracker and see what the history of this flight actually landing in Vancouver is over the recent past. Knowing if it has a history of running at all late gives OP even more ammunition that this flight is impossible considering baggage, immigration, and travel time to the ship and all other possibilities for delay. This is truly outrageous.

I'd be livid if any cruise line did this to me. What I'd do is keep calling, asking to speak to a supervisor, until there is a satisfactory resolution. Problem is, I think, customer service in Australia, like in Britain, is probably less flexible and accommodating than it is in the U.S. (call the U.S.?)

The only good thing is that Vancouver isn't too busy in the early afternoon (often arrive into an empty hall). You'll probably have to wait too long for your bags. If you can carry on, I'd do this. Or wait until ~45 minutes before you have to board and go, make HAL send your bags on to Los Angeles.

Archived