Capt Gus is Great, except at 7 AM

cmitch9999

Maybe they are trying to get everyone off sooner.

And that could be a cost cutting measure.

More time to clean up for the next cruise, fewer people needed to do the job.

I remember hearing in the past, that lots of crew pitched in to do the turn around clean up, even people who don't clean as part of their regular job.

I remember our first cruise and arriving early in port the last morning. I think they paid the dock workers extra money to make as much noise as they could to wake up all the passengers.

As much as we hate having to leave the stateroom/ship, the crew has a lot of work to do on turnaround days so getting out of the stateroom and letting them do their job is helpful.

I guess all you early birds are UP before 7 and that blaring announcement wouldn't have impacted your trip. We had our alarm set for 7:30, planned a quick shower and out of cabin at 8, plenty of time for the cabin crew to get things done before their new passengers arrive in the hallways at 1:30. I have always been aware of that busy morning for the crew. I just wish we had been able to wake UP the way we have on so many of our past cruises. It's not fun that last morning no matter how the day starts.

I hope that Capt Gus takes a second out of his busy day and thinks about how necessary that blast in the cabin is at 7AM ( it was actually 7:01 AM cuz I checked the clock right after the announcement) I can see making a general announcement in the public areas or hallways but not in the cabins. The people who have chosen express disembarkation are going to be UP and ready to jump ship with or without that early notification.

Still wish I was there on the Enchantment, announcements or not!! instead of here back at work.

happy cruising to you all

(maybe will pack ear plugs next cruise)

CM

I was at breakfast I'm the MDR at 6:30, so it didnt bother me.

I self-debark, because sitting around with cranky people in uncomfortable surroundings is not how I want to end my vacation. As a solo traveler, I have to pack light enough to carry all my stuff alone. Learning to pack light has been a life saver. Anyone able-bodied should be able to self-debark. It was only a 6-day cruise!

I'm not joking here: convince me how on earth self-debark is doable?

I always thought self debarking was for people who pack light. We don't. My wife packs way too many shoes. We pack our own snorkeling gear, we pack suits/dresses for formal night. That's a ton of luggage.

Please convince me we can do this, I would love to be off the ship, back in our car driving sooner.

It is all up to you and your wife. Learn to pack more efficiently and you will be able to do this without a problem.

Cruising usually means more stuff for us because we don't have to fly anywhere, but (IN 2005, BEFORE THE CARRY-ON RULES CHANGED TO NO LIQUIDS) my wife & I went to Europe for 17 days with only carry-on luggage. I was amazed, but we did it.

Packing is an art form. Master it and you will be proud of yourself every single trip you take.

I'm not joking here: convince me how on earth self-debark is doable?

I always thought self debarking was for people who pack light. We don't. My wife packs way too many shoes. We pack our own snorkeling gear, we pack suits/dresses for formal night. That's a ton of luggage.

Please convince me we can do this, I would love to be off the ship, back in our car driving sooner.

Hey Todd :) It was seriously so easy! I will never do anything else again! For the past eh 13 cruises or so we did the regular debark where we put our luggage out the night before and tried to figure out what we were going to wear the next day.

On the advice of a good friend who traveled with me on my last Enchantment cruise - I decided to try the express debark.

So on the last night I packed and I debated and stared at ALL of our luggage. There was me and two little girls. We had THREE full suitcases and THREE backpacks and lots of artwork from Adventure Ocean ;)

So I kept staring at all of the luggage - arguing with myself in my head. Do I want to try to lug all of it with the kids? Can we do it? OR do I want to sit there in those god awful lounges and wait and wait and wait for our number to be called? Right around midnight I decided to go for it and I left our luggage in the cabin.

In the morning - I woke the girls up and we got dressed as usual. As soon as the Captain came on in the cabin and said that we were cleared to debark (bless him!) I handed one piece of luggage to each child and one backpack on top of it. We walked straight to the elevator - NO problem.

The door opened on 4 - we got in line and literally walked right off of the ship. :)

Once off of the ship - we didn't have to go "search" for our bags because we had them. We were directed right to customs and made it through there in minutes as well.

Walking out of the terminal my oldest said "THAT's IT???? No waiting in a lounge?" and I said "that's it" :) and she said "WHY didn't we do that before?"

It was really too easy.

We were able to avoid traffic - long lines - everything - and drove right home.

If I can do it alone - without my husband - with 3 pieces of luggage and 3 bags and 2 little girls then it should be easy for anyone without physical limitations to do it.

Is there not a volume control in the cabins to turn the speaker in the room down or off? I dont remember ever hearing announcements in our room, but maybe they can override the volume control.

I haven't a working one since Voyager in 2006. (Don't remember about Allure) You have to be out of your room by 8, so I'm usually up by 7 on the last day anyway.

Hey Todd :) It was seriously so easy! I will never do anything else again! For the past eh 13 cruises or so we did the regular debark where we put our luggage out the night before and tried to figure out what we were going to wear the next day.

On the advice of a good friend who traveled with me on my last Enchantment cruise - I decided to try the express debark.

So on the last night I packed and I debated and stared at ALL of our luggage. There was me and two little girls. We had THREE full suitcases and THREE backpacks and lots of artwork from Adventure Ocean ;)

So I kept staring at all of the luggage - arguing with myself in my head. Do I want to try to lug all of it with the kids? Can we do it? OR do I want to sit there in those god awful lounges and wait and wait and wait for our number to be called? Right around midnight I decided to go for it and I left our luggage in the cabin.

In the morning - I woke the girls up and we got dressed as usual. As soon as the Captain came on in the cabin and said that we were cleared to debark (bless him!) I handed one piece of luggage to each child and one backpack on top of it. We walked straight to the elevator - NO problem.

The door opened on 4 - we got in line and literally walked right off of the ship. :)

Once off of the ship - we didn't have to go "search" for our bags because we had them. We were directed right to customs and made it through there in minutes as well.

Walking out of the terminal my oldest said "THAT's IT???? No waiting in a lounge?" and I said "that's it" :) and she said "WHY didn't we do that before?"

It was really too easy.

We were able to avoid traffic - long lines - everything - and drove right home.

If I can do it alone - without my husband - with 3 pieces of luggage and 3 bags and 2 little girls then it should be easy for anyone without physical limitations to do it.

You've inspired me. It will be me, my wife, and 2 strapping teenage boys 16 & 18. We need to pick up some new luggage anyway, so I will buy the second piece for each of us that fits nicely on top of the first. Backpacks, if any can be worn as they were intended. I'll bet we can get our snorkeling gear into backpacks. Hmmmm, I HATE sitting in the lounge/dining room waiting for our colour/number to be called.

so I will buy the second piece for each of us that fits nicely on top of the first. Backpacks, if any can be worn as they were intended. I'll bet we can get our snorkeling gear into backpacks.

1. A main suitcase with 4 spinner wheels is your best friend, no matter what Rick Steve says about casters taking up valuable interior space. Your main piece should have 4 spinner wheels. I'd say your 2nd piece should, too. BUT a nice alternative is a 2nd piece that is built to mesh with your 1st in some way which eliminates having to navigate 2 pieces.

2. Backpacks are where it's at. I fit our snorkel gear in mine, no problem. Fins, too. They stick out the top, but I zip up to them.

we went to the dining room @ 8 for the last breakfast, they called out #36 around 8:30 when we were finishing the meal, out the gangway and thru the immigration process and getting luggage took another half hour or so. No wait in lounge , no hassles with luggage. It was a breeze and we had one of the last tags to get called off ship.

You've inspired me. It will be me, my wife, and 2 strapping teenage boys 16 & 18. We need to pick up some new luggage anyway, so I will buy the second piece for each of us that fits nicely on top of the first. Backpacks, if any can be worn as they were intended. I'll bet we can get our snorkeling gear into backpacks. Hmmmm, I HATE sitting in the lounge/dining room waiting for our colour/number to be called.

Todd - I found a 2-piece "hard sided" set that was basically fiberglass at a discount store. It is sturdy and weighs less than our older soft sided cases. Gives me the comfort that it will survive the airport and port baggage handlers and is still light enough that my wife can handle if need be. Just a thought.

Oh yeah - two boys! A piece of cake! Roll those piece of luggage right off the ship. Sitting in a lounge/dining room is just maddening to me.

Good luck! :D

Todd - I found a 2-piece "hard sided" set that was basically fiberglass at a discount store. It is sturdy and weighs less than our older soft sided cases. Gives me the comfort that it will survive the airport and port baggage handlers and is still light enough that my wife can handle if need be. Just a thought.

We have a set of Calvin Klein Bromley hard-sided spinners.

1. They are tough and will last us a long, long time. Have a 10 year limited warranty, but the limited part isn't that bad.

2. They were on sale at Macy's for cheaper than I could find them online (although, checking online now looks like what we paid a couple of years ago)

3. VERY lightweight

4. Easy to maneuver... my wife is tiny and about 100lbs soaking wet. She can push, pull, spin, & navigate the big/small ones FULLY LOADED (at the same time) down the ship's hallways, through the airport, out to the curb*.

* I was gentlemanly when we went overseas and took both the big 28" ones and gave her the two 21" ones when we decided to do the 15-20 minute city walk over uneven sidewalks to the train station. But normally she brushes me off and says "I've got it" and we each take our own bags.

Archived