Canceled cruises

gardencat

Has anyone been booked on a cruise that has been canceled? What is it reasonable to expect the cruise line to do in such a case?

I was booked on the NCL Hawaii to Vancouver cruise that was canceled this week. Since it was a repositioning cruise I am left with tickets from my home to Honolulu but back to Vancouver. I don't want to be unreasonable but this is a big pain to try to fix. Because our schedules are not very flexible we have to vacation in this time period or forget it for 6 months to a year. What is it reasonable to expect NCL to do in a case like this?

This is one of the few advantages of purchasing your airfare through the cruiseline.

Or had you purchased travel insurance, you would have been reimbursed.

NCL owes you nothing.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Really?

If that is the case I wish that cruise lines and travel agents would make it clear up front that you should not cruise unless you can afford to buy full price air tickets and have about as much money as you paid for your cruise sitting in the bank to re-finance your vacation should they cancel.

At this point my vacation is gone and so is my money (which Norwegian has had for several months now) yes they will give me a refund but when? In 6 to 8 weeks. In the meantime I either find a way to finance a new vacation now or give up my vacation for this summer. And all they owe me is a "sorry things didn't work out" and "we'll get your money back to you some time at our convenience". This would have been my 4th cruise but if that is really the attitude of the cruise lines then I guess I can't afford to cruise in the future.

Let me clarify, just to be sure before leading you down the wrong path. Did you purchase the airfare through NCL or on your own? If it was through NCL, you'll get your money back.

Although they are not obligated to legally, you may find them offering you some percentage discount off of a future sailing.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

We were booked on the Norway last August - and of course, were cancelled. We received a full refund of both the cruise and the insurance premium, but lost $100 on our airfare - I booked privately. We got nothing from NCL for the hassle nor the airfare charge.

Having said that, we booked onto the Star in February and had a blast, both on the ship and using NCL. I had a few questions and changes to our pre-booked excursions, and NCL took care of everything quickly and efficiently.

So I've experienced both sides of NCL's customer service. I accepted my pill of disappointment and moved on. Its not like the first time I've "blown" a $100 - I just chalked it up to a life-lesson.

In my book, the 25% off the next cruise was a real bonus - I could have used that - but wasn't given that option. You got more than I did...

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Look at my postings and you willsee that the same thing happened to us on RCCL. We have worked things out and are now sailing wit Carnival. Maybe that is something you could look into (a cruise from the same port on a different line).

A cruise from the same port on a different line would be nice but it's a little hard when the cruise was starting in Honolulu and ending in Vancouver over 8 days.

If anyone knows of a cruise that starts from Honolulu anytime after the 29th Apr. and returns to Vancouver anytime before May 10th I'd love to hear about it.

thanks TNT I went and read the canceled RCCL cruise thread and was shocked.

In one way your situation was worse cause they sold you out, in my case they actually had to cancel the cruise because of mechanical problems but then in your case you had a few months to make other arrangements. In our case we found out 20 something days before we were scheduled to leave so time to make alternate plans was short. In addition, shortly after I found out that my cruise was cancelled (Friday Night) the 'guest relations ' office closed for the night so we were unable to get any info about what was happening, what they would do for us or what we should do.

On Monday when my travel agent got in touch with them they agreed to reimburse us for airmiles to book a ticket from Honolulu to Vancouver to close up the open jaw of the flight (due to the fact it was a repositioning cruise). Yesterday I called my agent to find out how they wanted me to send them the info regarding this change. She got in touch with them again got me a fax number for me to send the documentration to and a phone number I could call (but only during office hours) and re-confirmed that they would reimburse airmiles.

Today when I called that number to find out exactly what kind of documentation I should send they completely reversed themselves and said they might pay me the cancellation fee to dump my original airmile points back into my account but that was positively all.

Based on their original agreement I had gone ahead and booked somewhere to stay In Hawaii in place of the cruise and booked inter-island plane tickets. Now if I cancel I will be out deposits on those too as well as having to pay the change fee for the new portion of the ticket from Honolulu to Vancouver.

Ask me if I am angry icon_mad.gif

• 4 years later...

If anyone knows of a cruise that starts from Honolulu anytime after the 29th Apr. and returns to Vancouver anytime before May 10th I'd love to hear about it.

Not sure what dates your airfare is for.

There is a RCCL cruise April 28th but overnights in HNL so departs 11 pm on the 29th

Arrives YVR May 8th

That's good if you can get another cruise, but round trip air to the coast is very cheap right now.

I have been pricing HNL to LAX and Seattle and they are under $280. It is a hassle to get to Vancouver but not impossible and that would give you time for a Hawaiian vacation, we could use the business here! Rooms are on sale!

We were booked on the Norway last August - and of course, were cancelled. We received a full refund of both the cruise and the insurance premium, but lost $100 on our airfare - I booked privately. We got nothing from NCL for the hassle nor the airfare charge.

Having said that, we booked onto the Star in February and had a blast, both on the ship and using NCL. I had a few questions and changes to our pre-booked excursions, and NCL took care of everything quickly and efficiently.

So I've experienced both sides of NCL's customer service. I accepted my pill of disappointment and moved on. Its not like the first time I've "blown" a $100 - I just chalked it up to a life-lesson.

In my book, the 25% off the next cruise was a real bonus - I could have used that - but wasn't given that option. You got more than I did...

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

The NORWAY???? Last August????

HUH??

bluelady4-4-08-scrapped.jpg

bluelady6-12-08copy.jpg

DARN

got to check those posting dates:o

Oh I've done the same thing in the past myself. I just didn't want a newbie freaking out over something that happened 5 years ago.

thanks TNT I went and read the canceled RCCL cruise thread and was shocked.

In one way your situation was worse cause they sold you out, in my case they actually had to cancel the cruise because of mechanical problems but then in your case you had a few months to make other arrangements. In our case we found out 20 something days before we were scheduled to leave so time to make alternate plans was short. In addition, shortly after I found out that my cruise was cancelled (Friday Night) the 'guest relations ' office closed for the night so we were unable to get any info about what was happening, what they would do for us or what we should do.

Ask me if I am angry icon_mad.gif

Just to add my 2 cents into this.We were sailing on Millie March 15th,flying out March 11th to NZ. On March 9th we found out the cruise was canceled.Celebrity issued us a full credit back on card before we even returned home.We used the airfare already purchased and charged hotels,food,tours,car rentals and when we got home we still had a credit of 500.00 that we didn't spend.So things worked out for us,thankfully. They Also gave us a free cruise credit which we have already put toward another cruise to New England this Oct. Were we upset?You bet.Did we cry?You bet.Did we still go to NZ/AU on our own?You bet we did,and had a wonderful time. "Ship Happens"

So sometimes things do turn out OK.

Pam

Archived