How do you get news on a Carnival ship?

RMLincoln

We will be aboard Splendor on the 48 day cruise around South America. My DH likes to follow the news. Carnival used to have a daily news digest but I'm hearing that they no longer have them. Suggestions? Thanks, m--

Congrats on your 48 day... very jealous! :)

Other than the obvious Internet:

• Ports may carry international newspapers or news magazines.
  • A lot of ex-pats subscribe to US newspapers - if you run into any ex-pat shopkeeps they may be willing to part with recent papers.
  • Bring on a portable shortwave radio.
  • Television - stations may vary but most have a national or international news segment.
  • The day before you leave, buy a bunch of news magazines - He will probably enjoy the in-depth articles about current issues.

Hope this proves helpful; Enjoy your trip!

We will be aboard Splendor on the 48 day cruise around South America. My DH likes to follow the news. Carnival used to have a daily news digest but I'm hearing that they no longer have them. Suggestions? Thanks, m--

Hmm, good question. My first thought would be trying two tin cans and a piece of string. If you can't find a piece of string long enough, I guess you'll just have to wait until you get back home. If only there was a way to get rid of the string and find a method to bounce signals that carry information over long distances and view that information on some sort of screen that would convert the info into words, images, or both...

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize that CNN was on their TV selections. We will have a netbook (slow- runs XP) and may try to catch some email and news in ports. Will have an internet plan on board but will use it sparingly. i haeb't seen the news text channel and will look for that too. I like the idea about picking up newspapers along the way and ex-pats in the shops. Very creative.

You guys are the best here! Thanks for the inspiration. m--

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize that CNN was on their TV selections. We will have a netbook (slow- runs XP) and may try to catch some email and news in ports. Will have an internet plan on board but will use it sparingly. i haeb't seen the news text channel and will look for that too. I like the idea about picking up newspapers along the way and ex-pats in the shops. Very creative.

You guys are the best here! Thanks for the inspiration. m--

Your quite welcome, M. It looks like an awesome itinerary.

Would love to do a long cruise like that.

We are planning on a 115-day Around-the-World cruise on Holland

when we retire :), but that's many years away, I'm afraid :mad:.

So for now it's 7 days at a time... still good :cool:

Hmm, good question. My first thought would be trying two tin cans and a piece of string. If you can't find a piece of string long enough, I guess you'll just have to wait until you get back home. If only there was a way to get rid of the string and find a method to bounce signals that carry information over long distances and view that information on some sort of screen that would convert the info into words, images, or both...

Carnival doesn't offer a 48 day cruise on the Splendor that I can find. You might have bigger problems than keeping up with the news.

My bad. Sorry my previous smart ... responses. Been a bad day, but that's not an excuse.

Not a good way to make new friends. We all love to cruise and get usefull info.

Not a good way to make new friends. We all love to cruise and get usefull info.

Agreed, but they did apologize.

I'm sure the posts were meant in

good humor; tehy just didn't land well.

Plus Amy's post was punishment enough. :D

No worries. We're none of us perfect. :)

Agreed, but they did apologize.

I'm sure the posts were meant in

good humor; tehy just didn't land well.

Plus Amy's post was punishment enough. :D

No worries. We're none of us perfect. :)

Thats why I quoted the apology also. I'm far from perfect on some things also. Like my spelling at times I call it TWI. Typing While Intoxicated. [sorry for the hyjack OP]

When we were on the Dream, they had CNN on the giant TV on the Lido deck every morning. It was nice until all the crowds showed up and started talking and you couldn't hear it anymore. Funny how when you want to talk with someone across from you, you can't hear them because of the TV yet when you want to hear the TV, you can't because of the people talking. Good thing they had closed captioning on it.

When we were on the Dream, they had CNN on the giant TV on the Lido deck every morning. It was nice until all the crowds showed up and started talking and you couldn't hear it anymore. Funny how when you want to talk with someone across from you, you can't hear them because of the TV yet when you want to hear the TV, you can't because of the people talking. Good thing they had closed captioning on it.

Thanks, this is another point I was not aware of, the Lido big screen carrying the news in the mornings. I appreciate you sharing that.

I'm sure we'd have discoved it but I'm having a lot of anxiety about doing this long a cruise(s) on Carnival rather than HAL or Princess but this is what it is and I'm trying to adjust my perspective. I 've believed that "It's hard to have a bad on a cruise ship" but there are so many things about Carnival that I need to make adjustments over that this news thing is just one more thing to figure out, especially on such a long trip. I want it all to work! I've only done Carnival on 7 or 8 days cruise and they've been ok (Liberty) to great (Spirit) so I'm crossing my fingers here for Splendor the big pink ship, and counting my blessings!

And Stu, I appreciate that we're not the only ones that miss the little newspaper. Oh well, I guess CNN will do fine:) m--

Archived