Murano/Burano Azamara tour??

cruisemuse13

We have never taken the ships tour of these islands. We have been to Venice many times and always just buy a one, two or three day pass and take the water bus to both isladns and the Cemetary Island of San Michele. They are all interesting islands but very easy to see on your own. Murano is known, of coursem for glass and Burano for linen. Burano is also a very beautiful island as the houses are all pastel colors and makes for great pictures. Murano is always a problem for us as we collect art and the glass is incredible. Make sure you go upstairs in the high end galleries as that is where the good stuff is !!!

Have to second phxazzcruisers comments. Having lived one town over from Venice for 7 years, you do not need a tour of either island, do them at your own pace, without the mobs, without the herding, and at much lower cost. Of the 2, Burano is the more interesting, it's smaller, fewer tourists, little old ladies outside everywhere knitting/crocheting lace for the tourists.(If you want to buy lace/linen goods, I recommend Fabris just off San Marco. They are an old, wonderful shop, been there for generations. With your back toward the clock, facing the canal, just past the tower, the Doges Palace will be on the left, Fabris is under the portico on your right. Not a plug, just a wonderful shop. Sheets for $1000. handkerchiefs for less, and everything in between price wise, and actually, their prices have been very reasonable over the years.) Murano is one hideous glass factory after another, producing some of the ugliest creations on the planet, again for the tourists. (Actually, you may have to search, but there are some lovely pieces that are made, its just the bulk is plain halluceous!) My favorite island in the Lagoon is Torcello. Only the Venetians know about it. The same vaporetto (it used to be #5 from San Marco, but that has probably changed) that goes to Torcello stops at both Murano and Burano. Makes for a beautiful trip. And there are a few very lovely trattorie on Torcello, including the Locanda Cipriani, the same Cipriani as Harry's Bar and the Hotel on the lido. When we were impoverished students, we ate at the place next door, we couldn't afford Cipriani, but we always peeked inside and looked at the menu. Have a wonderful time, don't waste your money on this particular tour.

I know this is probably a question for the Italy board, but it is nice to have the views of Azamara cruisers.

How long would it take to visit Burano? I would love to go but would we have enough time to do this and see the main sights of Venice as well? This will be our first trip to Vienice.

Vival, once you get to San Marco, the vaporetto probably takes 15-20 minutes to get to the island, and that is pushing it. 2 hours, possibly 3 walking around the island, and you've seen it! You are NOT going to be able to see Venice in 1 day, ain't gonna happen, so put that piece of reality out of your mind. If it were me, I would dock, get off the ship, make my way between Piazzale Roma and Rialto, to find VizioVirtu Chocolate shop in Piazzale San Paolo, drop 75E on every single chocolate you can find, and have a cioccolato con panna (hot chocolate with whipped cream) no matter how hot it is outside, please, please trust me. (last visit, they spoke 3 words of English, but consume enough chocolate there, it won't matter), walk and get lost going toward San Marco. If you have any remote interest in Renaissance Art, find the Basilica Dei Francescani, and the Scuola di San Rocco, these are churches with some of the most unimaginable Titian and Tintoretto masterpieces on the planet, and there isn't a tourist alive who is aware of them. They put the Accademia Museum to shame. Imagine an absolutely glorious art museum, unknown to the mobs! The concierge onboard ship should be able to provide directions. I bored my child to death in the place, but I was in tears. 2-3PM, work you way to the vaporetto, head out to the island. The entire Italian experience is the "fa niente", ("doing nothing") just strolling, with absolutely no intentions in mind. Except getting the chocolate, seeing the paintings, getting jostiled on the taxis. Don't worry about gourmet dining in Venice, it doesn't really happen, unless you go to Alla' Madonna near Rialto or Graspo d'U. Food's better on the ship. Last but not least, a Venetian tradition is the "umbretto". I lived there for years, but didn't experience it until 3 years ago. You find just about any bar around 5PM, walk in and ask for an umbretto. You will be marked immediately, because only Veneziani ask for umbretti. It's a glass of wine, with local nibbles. You sit at a table outside, sip, and watch the world go by. No tourists. Almost certainly no English. Lots and lots of magnificent memories. As I said earlier, please trust me!

Dr H

Thanks Dr H, great tips I do realise that we will see very little in a day. What you describe sounds good, we love nothing better than just wandering and taking in the atmosphere. The chocolate sounds very tempting mmm....

I think we will go to Murano just to experience the island.

Please do go to Murano. Art, like food is very subjective. There really are some beautiful pieces there. Just make sure you go to the second floor of the major galleries. That is where they have the more expensive pieces. as Dr H said, it does get overwhelming, as a lot of the glass is mass produced works, but there are also some very beautiful pieces. Some of the galleries also show you demonstrations of glass blowing which is also interesting...

A quick posting, and if the moderators feel it is inappropriate, please feel free to yank it. Here is a web link to an Italian tourist info site called "Weekend In Italy". It just so happens that this week's bulletin highlights some events in Venice. Dear cruisers, you may wish to take a peak. If I've done a "no no", as I said, feel free to pull this, you won't be insulting me.:cool:

Dr H.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6063eff1156c34ada252ea5b9&id=d539b4a0d6&e=89c4feb005

Please do go to Murano. Art, like food is very subjective. There really are some beautiful pieces there. Just make sure you go to the second floor of the major galleries. That is where they have the more expensive pieces. as Dr H said, it does get overwhelming, as a lot of the glass is mass produced works, but there are also some very beautiful pieces. Some of the galleries also show you demonstrations of glass blowing which is also interesting...

I agree! However, this is dangerous if your other half loves glass. We ended up on the plane home with two carry-ons full of finds from Murano.

Doug

I second the vote for trying to visit Torcello as well if your time allows, it is much less commercial and very peaceful. It was one of the favourite holiday places of Churchill who used to go there to paint watercolours

Thank you all for your suggestions and detailed directions. :D I have googled the website for VizioVirtu and the other locations mentioned by DrH, so I am confident I can find them from my hotel. A recommendation from someone who has been there, and appreciated the experience, is much more meaningful than trying to sort out the truth in the guidebooks.

A few months ago I read a thread , I think from the Italy Ports board, that talked about the vaporetto trip to Burano taking one and a half hours one way, with frequent stops. That is why I thought the ship tour might be more efficient for travel time if it was a dedicated launch. I will need to study the vaporetto website and route map to be able to make more informed decisions.

There are so many places to see and experience in Venice that I am struggling to set my priorities. Your shared suggestions are extremely helpful. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

I agree! However, this is dangerous if your other half loves glass. We ended up on the plane home with two carry-ons full of finds from Murano.

Doug

Yep. We always get into a lot of trouble. It is always too big to carry home and has to be shipped. Then we get hit for duty when it clears into the States:(

Had the best seafood lunch on Burano a few years ago. One price for a seafood fest - from salad, shrimp soup, 5 courses including red wine - it was wonderful. I have never been able to get such a fresh great seafood meal since!

If I'm not mistaken, Anthony Bourdaine did a show from a restaurant on Burano, that featured the typical 20 course fish menu that went on for ever. He went into detail about the preparation of the seafood risotto (risotto di fruiti di mare) that had me drooling, and I'm not a risotto fan. Don't recall the name of the restaurant, but a quick web search should bring it up.

Probably not applicable to cruisers on a tight schedule, but there are a large number of restaurants along the Brenta canal that runs from Venice past Padova, that specialize in the fixed menu, 30 course, 5 hour meals. People should file this factoid in the back of their minds for when they return to Venice, or to seek out, if they are spending a few days before or after a cruise. I can't give you specific names or towns, but the concierge at any fine hotel will have his or her own personal favorites, there are many. Happy cruising!

Archived