A day in Capri- the real deal!

cruisinclined

I thought new visitors to Naples would be interested in what my wife and I consider the best way to manage a visit to beautiful Capri. We have done the trip at least four times and feel we have fine tuned it to suit most tastes and mobilities.

1.There can be crowds at the ticket desk for the Capri ferry. Get there early. This summer there was an 0805 crossing so get there at around 0740 to board just before 8. Tickets were about 17 euros each return.You need to book the return ferry at the same time to ensure you get back on time. The 1440 suited us.

2. After the 50 min crossing walk along the port edge to the square at the port where taxis await. The bus is cheaper but there are lines, crowding and frustration. The taxi journey is also a pleasure and costs 22 euros for up to 4/5 people.You are heading for Anacapri!

3. The 10 minute taxi ride brings you to Anacapri village at the top of the island, spectacular views as you ascend. At the village there will be a sign for the chair lift literally around the corner which will take you on a journey you will never forget and your feet are only a few metres/feet from the ground most of the way. Not scary for adults or children.A delight, yes! 9 euros pp return.

A cable car seat for each passenger takes you gently to the highest point of the island. Views to die for, photos to be taken and somewhere to sit and buy a drink or snack.

4. When you descend on the chair lift to Anacapri village there are shops and cafes nearby but across the road are signs for Anacapri Antica and a traffic free footway takes you into the centre of the village, picturesque with more shops and cafes.

5. Return to the starting point where the taxi dropped you. Then walk across the road along another pathway and visit the house of Axel Munte with great gardens, history and views, you pay to go in.You can then either return to Capri Town (not the port)by taxi (22 euros the cab) or take the bus to the town for about 2 euros if not crowded. The bus is safe and the drivers skilled even if you have to stand. Be careful to take the bus to Capri Town!

6. Wait till the bus comes to the end of its route and walk left to Capri town centre. You will note the funicular station and you will need that later.

Wander along the main street down hill and people watch or shop.

7. After about 5 minutes walk you will notice an hotel with terrace called La Palma on your left. There are other places to eat but a table on this terrace is the perfect spot to relax and get a bite to eat, watch the world go by. Lunch is served from 1230 and a simple but delicious lunch can be bought for around 15 euros a head upwards.Service pleasant and not at all stuffy.English speaking.

8. After lunch there is more to see in Capri Town, narrow alleyways which end in serendipitous locations but you cannot get lost.

Aim to start heading back to the port via the funicular around 2 euros each at around 1400 to get the ferry back at 1440.

That's kind of you to print your tips. I echo the part about getting to the ticket booth as early as you can! The lines can be staggering. I bet if you post this in the Italy ports forum it would be most appreciated.

Thanks you're right. Is there an easy way to move this to the Ports forum without a retype?

Thank you! We are on the reflection in October and this is just what we need to make our one day in Capri easier to navigate!

Thanks and am sure you will find this journey straightforward, easy even. I forgot to mention that this journey will cost less than half the ship tour cost plus you will not be hurried and eat better!

3. The 10 minute taxi ride brings you to Anacapri village at the top of the island, spectacular views as you ascend. At the village there will be a sign for the chair lift literally around the corner which will take you on a journey you will never forget and your feet are only a few metres/feet from the ground most of the way. Not scary for adults or children.A delight, yes! 9 euros pp return.

A cable car seat for each passenger takes you gently to the highest point of the island. Views to die for, photos to be taken and somewhere to sit and buy a drink or snack.

Isn't it a great ride up to Monte Solaro? I mention this each time someone here asks about Capri. It's a wonderful trip up and away from the crowds.

Phil

I thought new visitors to Naples would be interested in what my wife and I consider the best way to manage a visit to beautiful Capri. We have done the trip at least four times and feel we have fine tuned it to suit most tastes and mobilities.

1.There can be crowds at the ticket desk for the Capri ferry. Get there early. This summer there was an 0805 crossing so get there at around 0740 to board just before 8. Tickets were about 17 euros each return.You need to book the return ferry at the same time to ensure you get back on time. The 1440 suited us.

2. After the 50 min crossing walk along the port edge to the square at the port where taxis await. The bus is cheaper but there are lines, crowding and frustration. The taxi journey is also a pleasure and costs 22 euros for up to 4/5 people.You are heading for Anacapri!

4. When you descend on the chair lift to Anacapri village there are shops and cafes nearby but across the road are signs for Anacapri Antica and a traffic free footway takes you into the centre of the village, picturesque with more shops and cafes.

5. Return to the starting point where the taxi dropped you. Then walk across the road along another pathway and visit the house of Axel Munte with great gardens, history and views, you pay to go in.You can then either return to Capri Town (not the port)by taxi (22 euros the cab) or take the bus to the town for about 2 euros if not crowded. The bus is safe and the drivers skilled even if you have to stand. Be careful to take the bus to Capri Town!

6. Wait till the bus comes to the end of its route and walk left to Capri town centre. You will note the funicular station and you will need that later.

Wander along the main street down hill and people watch or shop.

7. After about 5 minutes walk you will notice an hotel with terrace called La Palma on your left. There are other places to eat but a table on this terrace is the perfect spot to relax and get a bite to eat, watch the world go by. Lunch is served from 1230 and a simple but delicious lunch can be bought for around 15 euros a head upwards.Service pleasant and not at all stuffy.English speaking.

8. After lunch there is more to see in Capri Town, narrow alleyways which end in serendipitous locations but you cannot get lost.

Aim to start heading back to the port via the funicular around 2 euros each at around 1400 to get the ferry back at 1440.

Thank you for suggesting what sounds like a lovely day. Have you been in November? We will be there at that time this year and I wonder what will be open? Will the ferries still run etc. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Thank you for suggesting what sounds like a lovely day. Have you been in November? We will be there at that time this year and I wonder what will be open? Will the ferries still run etc. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Ditto for us in 2013- really would like to take the chairlift- anyone know if it operates in November?

If the weather is kind, you will have a magical day in Capri in November....we did. Obviously far less crowds, shops and cafes were open (perhaps not as many as high summer but we didn't feel any lack) Having been before, we decided this time to walk up to the Villa Jovis, amazing views and worth the walk.

We still laugh about my DH "good deed". We were in the square in Capri town deciding where to have lunch when we saw a very elderly lady bent over under the weight of 2 huge shopping bags. Ever the gentleman, DH asked if he could help. Si si she said, passed them over to him, straightened up and marched at speed at least a mile ( or it felt like a mile!) up a narrow winding street to her house.....huffing and puffing and scarlet in the face, we arrived on her door-step, bags taken, "grazia", door slammed....we have a sneaking suspicion she does a big shop every week and then lies in wait for an unsuspecting passer-by ;)

Have a wonderful cruise

Sue :)

We still laugh about my DH "good deed". We were in the square in Capri town deciding where to have lunch when we saw a very elderly lady bent over under the weight of 2 huge shopping bags. Ever the gentleman' date=' DH asked if he could help. Si si she said, passed them over to him, straightened up and marched at speed at least a mile ( or it felt like a mile!) up a narrow winding street to her house.....huffing and puffing and scarlet in the face, we arrived on her door-step, bags taken, "grazia", door slammed....we have a sneaking suspicion she does a big shop every week and then lies in wait for an unsuspecting passer-by[/font']

Love it!

Phil

If the weather is kind' date=' you will have a magical day in Capri in November....we did. Obviously far less crowds, shops and cafes were open (perhaps not as many as high summer but we didn't feel any lack) Having been before, we decided this time to walk up to the Villa Jovis, amazing views and worth the walk.[/font']

We still laugh about my DH "good deed". We were in the square in Capri town deciding where to have lunch when we saw a very elderly lady bent over under the weight of 2 huge shopping bags. Ever the gentleman, DH asked if he could help. Si si she said, passed them over to him, straightened up and marched at speed at least a mile ( or it felt like a mile!) up a narrow winding street to her house.....huffing and puffing and scarlet in the face, we arrived on her door-step, bags taken, "grazia", door slammed....we have a sneaking suspicion she does a big shop every week and then lies in wait for an unsuspecting passer-by ;)

Have a wonderful cruise

Sue :)

Thanks for your answer Sue and the good laugh that came with it. Loved that story. Just the sort of thing that adds to the good memories of great holidays.

Thanks for the info - I copied and pasted it into a word doc, made the font bigger (gotta love being 40+) and will definitely use your instructions when we go next month.

And thank you Sue for a great story - I needed the laugh after work today.

Great info on Capri. I will add to make sure you shop around for taxis at the pier in Capri. We found tremendous differences in the pricing. Found a wonderful driver named Mario(probably in his late 50's early 60's). He took us to Anacapri where we spent 2 to 3 hours. Then, onto the southern end of the island for a wonderful lunch at a locals restaurant. Finally, back to Capri town and then to the pier. We were a group of six and it was approx. 25 euros per person for the day. Great day and about half the price of some of the taxis we first encountered.

In Anacapri, the church with the majolica floor is absolutely beautiful. Make sure you take the spiral staircase to the second floor to view the floor from above.

Thanks for the info and link! Capri will be choice #1 with Naples Archeological Museum (and possibly Herculaneum if weather isn't too bad) as choice #2.

We had a cloudy day at Naples last year and decided to miss Capri but visit the museum. There they store the treasures from Pompeii and Herculaneum. We went outside the port for a taxi and negotiated a 10 euro ride. From the museum it is an easy downhill walk back to the ship (a map always useful) to taste the atmosphere of Naples city which is a safe and interesting place to wander around that time of day. There are trains for Herculaneum and Pompeii, a short journey and doable from the port.

We once had a drizzly day in mid October and the Med. weather is more variable that late in the season. Equally you can be lucky. Capri will be quieter (a good thing) and you will need to check timing of ferries on line.

I believe the chair lift will operate but that could be checked on line too.

Naples Museum an alternative if weather is poor.

Thanks so much for posting your tips. My wife and I will be in Capri in Sept 2013. Can't wait!

Thank you. September is probably the best month for the Mediterraneum, still sunny and hot but comfortably so. Crowds are back in school or work!

Busy but not crowded. Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the info - I copied and pasted it into a word doc, made the font bigger (gotta love being 40+) and will definitely use your instructions when we go next month.

And thank you Sue for a great story - I needed the laugh after work today.

Your IT skills surpass mine. Any chance your being able to move my first post to the Ports forum as suggested above?

Hope you enjoy your visit to Capri as much as we did!

Archived