Dress Attire for non formal nights

dvond

Good to know as we sail Sunday. I forgot to ask TA this question and didn't know if I'd be safe with capri's. DH is not happy to have to wear pants as he is a shorts kind of guy but he also doesn't want to stick out like a sore thumb. It's all I can do to convince him to go to ONE formal night! Living in FL the dress code is very casual everywhere.

I am speaking from my own experience ONLY. Others on here will tell you what the rules are and that they have seen people turned away for wearing shorts and I have no reason to doubt them. I have NEVER seen anyone turned away for wearing shorts and I wear them at least a couple times every cruise and no one has ever said a word. The only time anyone ever mentioned anything was on Norwegian and it was a fellow passenger who said to the crew member "I thought shorts weren't allowed at dinner?" to which I said "I guess you thought wrong.

I do not wear pants much unless it is an occasion and find shorts much more comfortable especially on vacation. I will just change right after dinner every night, plus we have to fly home so were looking to take less clothes, i find no joy in watching people getting turned away, they spent their money but everyone is different, i do not think i even looked at the tables around us the last cruise and could not tell you what they wore

Completely agree I couldn't tell you what anyone in the MDR was wearing

I have never really understood why it is more comfortable to wear shorts than pants. Both have 2 legs that you must slip on. Your not outside in the sun, but sitting at a table, with a table cloth, and 2 servers taking care of you. It's not really the type of setting that one should be dressed down in. Any jeans or long pants are good, but once you start wearing shorts, than comes the t-shirts and flip flops, than the ship becomes Carnival. :D

Thankfully, I still see people get turned away for violations. I have even seen people get turned away in the buffet on RCCL.

I wear flip flops every night to dinner, even on the occasions when I have worn a tux on formal nights. On vacation, no shoes (other than running or athletic shoes) shall touch my feet.

I don't understand the mentality of "it's my vacation I'll wear what I want". It's kind of appalling that some of you think that way. My husband would never entertain the idea of wearing shorts to the main dining room.

If you went to a restaurant on land that said "jackets required", should they allow men in wearing shorts and a T-shirt - AND, would a man even contemplate doing that? I doubt it. But, aren't you paying for dinner in that restaurant? So, if you think it's "my dinner, I'm paying for it, I'll wear what I want", does that mean it should be allowed?

Not in my opinion. And I'll bet your chances of eating dinner in that restaurant dressed in shorts is slim to none.

So, why should they allow it on a cruise ship? Is it really that big a deal to throw on a pair of pants to eat in a restaurant? It's not McDonald's, it's a dining room with tablecloths! It's just respectful to expect to follow the rules that the cruise line puts forth.

And no, it won't "ruin my vacation" to see you in shorts. My mindset will be "look at that disrespectful slob in shorts". If you don't care what people think, then do what you please.

I don't understand the mentality of "it's my vacation I'll wear what I want". It's kind of appalling that some of you think that way. My husband would never entertain the idea of wearing shorts to the main dining room.

If you went to a restaurant on land that said "jackets required", should they allow men in wearing shorts and a T-shirt - AND, would a man even contemplate doing that? I doubt it. But, aren't you paying for dinner in that restaurant? So, if you think it's "my dinner, I'm paying for it, I'll wear what I want", does that mean it should be allowed?

Not in my opinion. And I'll bet your chances of eating dinner in that restaurant dressed in shorts is slim to none.

So, why should they allow it on a cruise ship? Is it really that big a deal to throw on a pair of pants to eat in a restaurant? It's not McDonald's, it's a dining room with tablecloths! It's just respectful to expect to follow the rules that the cruise line puts forth.

And no, it won't "ruin my vacation" to see you in shorts. My mindset will be "look at that disrespectful slob in shorts". If you don't care what people think, then do what you please.

It is not that nice of a dinner experience that your elitist self should be calling people a slob, yes if we went fine dining we would dress up but who really counts eating in a room of a thousand people fine dining? Or meals that are made like an assembly line and not made to order, that is the difference. Glad you have your husband trained to dress how you want

I don't see how the presence of what amounts to literally about a foot long tube of fabric between the knee and the ankle effects comfort.

Now packing, I can sort of get. And maybe pants might affect what shirt is worn, probably for the better. I hate shorts on men at better restaurants at home, even in the summer in FL, something I pick and choose battles with DH about. It's not that hard to make an effort, even if you wear the same dockers every night for an hour and a half. I just don't see how it's any more comfortable. Is it because you probably wouldn't wear sandals or sneakers? DH packs a loafer of sorts to wear with his slacks to dinner on the ship.

Well maybe it is a mindset as well but for me i wear shorts 9-10 months a year even in the northeast for comfort but we also have a luggage restriction since we are flying home on a re positioning cruise. my wife does not hate shorts, i wear a nicer shirt with nice shorts and she actually likes that look

Well just speaking for me, mine is not an "it's my vacation, I'll wear what i want mentality" it's more of an "it's my life, I'll wear what I want mentality". Restaurant that required a jacket and enforced that rule. I would not attend. As for what others think of me, I really don't care. And if it makes you feel good to think of me as a "disresctful slob", I'm OK with that too.

I am sorry but, one pair of pants is not going to break your luggage restrictions. Put your "big boy" pants on and go to dinner. You also have the option of the Windjammer.

The dining room is still a beautiful place. You are being served on china,

cloth napkins, tablecloths, etc. It is a nice place.

Flame away !!!!!!:eek:

I am sorry but, one pair of pants is not going to break your luggage restrictions. Put your "big boy" pants on and go to dinner. You also have the option of the Windjammer.

Actually my "big boy" pants are shorts. Pretty much never wear long pants (my little boy pants) unless, I'm at work. I, for one, would gladly dine in the Windjammer, the day they make the food choices the same and the service the same.

No flaming but I will have "big boy" pants for formal night, we always dress for that but yes even without luggage, I do not like wearing long pants on vacation and no not eating in the cafeteria either

No flaming but I will have "big boy" pants for formal night, we always dress for that but yes even without luggage, I do not like wearing long pants on vacation and no not eating in the cafeteria either

Yeah I usually wear my little boy pants for formal nights, sometimes even rent a tux, if the mood hits me, but always with flip flops. :D

I think it's really about being a polite society. Does it ruin my vacation if someone comes to dinner in shorts? No. Does it interfere with my enjoyment of dinner? No. Do I notice? Yes, because I usually get to dinner early and watch everyone as they walk into the dining room. Will I think less of you for dressing "inappropriately"? Well, I would consider you impolite and probably a little selfish.

Unfortunately, we have become a much more impolite society in everything. Impolite people are everywhere, and there will be some on a cruise. The impolite people may wear "inappropriate" clothing to the MDR, but the polite person would not comment on it.

this is a well written and a well thought out thread. :)

my wife and i cruise a lot and agree with you 100%. we would never consider wearing shorts to the MDR after 5:30 pm. and we always respect the dress code on formal evenings and dress appropriately.

those that don't can do as they please. i guess they can't read the rules posted in front of the MDR for the evening meal. and yes there are rules posted on all RCCL ships as you enter the MDR for the evening meal.

STOP AND READ THEM BEFORE YOU ENTER..

So what do your legs look like? :D

In many cases it is the person with the most to "hide" who wants to flaunt it all. I'd allow speedos or bikinis in the MDR if I could be the final word on who made the cut or not ;).

My legs are a thing of beauty. Marathon runner and weight lifter. Very well muscled and multiple color tattoos. I'd allow speedos and bikinis in the MDR with no cut. LOL.

I found big differences between ships. RCCL has two formal nights on 7 day cruises.

On Liberty, it was very casual with many wearing shorts every night, even formal nights. So, I felt OK wearing shorts much of the time except formal nights.

On Allure, it was much different, with the rare occasion of seeing shorts. And on formal night many dressed up, in contrast to Liberty.

It may depend on the time of year and passengers on board to explain the differences.

I would at least pack a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt if eating in the MDR on formal nights. Khaki's are OK on other nights if worried, which is what I did.

My legs are a thing of beauty. Marathon runner and weight lifter. Very well muscled and multiple color tattoos. I'd allow speedos and bikinis in the MDR with no cut. LOL.

Some people would not think multi-colored tattoos a thing of beauty. Or any tattoos, for that matter.

Anyone atempting to wear shorts in the MDR should be tasered on entry and thrown in the Brig. It's my cruise and I'll do what I wan't doesn't cut it. What if you like shorts and say for instance like a cigar. it's your cruise so why don't you just walk in with your cigar as well?

If there is an obvious sign saying no shorts in the MDR you should show some respect and stick to the request. If you want to be a rebel go buy a bottle of beer and hang around the climbing wall till you grow up.

ok now that you've read that bit I don't give a hoot about shorts in the MDR. Whenever I go on a cruise I make a point of NEVER letting any other person bother me. Life's way too short. I just kinda like the thought that someone would be going apoplectic at the first few lines of my post :D

Get out there. You can sit at my table anytime.

Anyone atempting to wear shorts in the MDR should be tasered on entry and thrown in the Brig. It's my cruise and I'll do what I wan't doesn't cut it. What if you like shorts and say for instance like a cigar. it's your cruise so why don't you just walk in with your cigar as well?

If there is an obvious sign saying no shorts in the MDR you should show some respect and stick to the request. If you want to be a rebel go buy a bottle of beer and hang around the climbing wall till you grow up.

ok now that you've read that bit I don't give a hoot about shorts in the MDR. Whenever I go on a cruise I make a point of NEVER letting any other person bother me. Life's way too short. I just kinda like the thought that someone would be going apoplectic at the first few lines of my post :D

Get out there. You can sit at my table anytime.

Nice post :). I was ready to give you some grief. And you can sit at my table anytime. Once I'm seated you won't see my shorts or my tattoos anyway right, so we can just enjoy the food the wine and the conversation.

If it's a casual night why can men not wear nice shorts like Bermudas in the MDR? Just wondering.

:cool:RCCL has a dress code. Some call this "suggested attire". Suggested leaves it to your imagination, but the suggestion is what RCCL would like you to wear on any given night. BUT---The do state this "NO SHORTS OR T-SHIRTS TO BE WORN IN MDR FOR DINNER." That is not a suggestion--that is a rule. Breakfast and lunch fine. Dinner no. Now--the question is do they enforce their own rule? :cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

:cool:RCCL has a dress code. Some call this "suggested attire". Suggested leaves it to your imagination, but the suggestion is what RCCL would like you to wear on any given night. BUT---The do state this "NO SHORTS OR T-SHIRTS TO BE WORN IN MDR FOR DINNER." That is not a suggestion--that is a rule. Breakfast and lunch fine. Dinner no. Now--the question is do they enforce their own rule? :cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

but remember---NO SHORTS IS STILL THE RULE !

OK--now give us your valid reasons why you can break this rule...

Cause I like wearing them and they don't hurt anyone is the only reason I need.

:cool:That is the problem, guys with attitudes like you. The heck with guidelines, rules, standards. I'm above that. I'm special. I'm cool. I am on vacation. I wear hats to church. No wait--I don't go to church. I run the red light, because I don't want to stop. I can still make it through. My t-shirt is good enough for a wedding or funeral. NO RESPECT NECESSARY.:cool:

Archived