Dress Attire for non formal nights

dvond

Cause I like wearing them and they don't hurt anyone is the only reason I need.

\

I hear Carnival and NCL have cheaper cruises. Don't you like to save money? And the food in the MDR is better. Get the most our of YOUR vation.

:cool:That is the problem, guys with attitudes like you. The heck with guidelines, rules, standards. I'm above that. I'm special. I'm cool. I am on vacation. I wear hats to church. No wait--I don't go to church. I run the red light, because I don't want to stop. I can still make it through. My t-shirt is good enough for a wedding or funeral. NO RESPECT NECEAARY.:cool:

The problem is guys like you, no tolerance for others who don't want to conform. I think I'll take these one at a time, I'm not all that special, I am very cool, I have worn a hat to church and shorts too because my God doesn't care what i wear just that I'm there, I would never run a red light or even speed because that might hurt someone. Respect isn't in the clothing. I don't do funerals, I prefer seeing people when they're alive but if I did go the people that know me would expect me in shorts. Recently went to a wedding for one of my daughter's friends to which I wore shorts, the bride's mom came up to thank me because Kristin would have been disappointed if I had gone away from who I am. You don't know me yet you judge me. I don't judge you, you want to go with the flow feel free to do so . You see, in my eyes, "guys like attitudes like you" are the real problem

What's a rule if it can't be broken? And no, I have'nt seen many of the rules enforced. Like no kids under 16 in the solarium, yeah right. In fact, they seem to be merely suggestions. But I imagine speedo guy would be sent back to change if he showed up in the MDR.

What we need are more people dressing in the orange and blue tuxes like dumb and dumber. I have seen this a time or two.

I've posted this before, but thought it might be helpful to the original poster:

Here's a suggestion:

1. Wear shorts to the MDR on the first night of the cruise. I believe they will allow it since not everyone has their luggage yet.

2. Explain to your waitstaff that all you packed were shorts and/or jeans so, in light of the dress suggestions, you won't be eating in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

3. The waitstaff "won't hear of it", tell you not to worry about it and to "please come and dine with us!"

4. Wear shorts or jeans to the MDR for the rest of the cruise. If you are questioned at the entrance, explain that (insert waiter name here) gave you permission to come to the MDR dressed as you are.

5. You're in! Enjoy your cruise on your terms! :rolleyes:

I've posted this before, but thought it might be helpful to the original poster:

Here's a suggestion:

1. Wear shorts to the MDR on the first night of the cruise. I believe they will allow it since not everyone has their luggage yet.

2. Explain to your waitstaff that all you packed were shorts and/or jeans so, in light of the dress suggestions, you won't be eating in the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

3. The waitstaff "won't hear of it", tell you not to worry about it and to "please come and dine with us!"

4. Wear shorts or jeans to the MDR for the rest of the cruise. If you are questioned at the entrance, explain that (insert waiter name here) gave you permission to come to the MDR dressed as you are.

That's an interesting strategy.

Here is what i find funny, women can wear capris who go to the top of the calf but men cannot wear shorts which go to the top of the calf, why te double standard?

What they should do is have an dining room option for those who are so offended my men's calves and them breaking rules etc, should sign up for one floor of the dining room and other who want more of a freedom to dress smartly and comfortable sign up for another floor, this is other than formal night.

That's an interesting strategy.

Here is what i find funny, women can wear capris who go to the top of the calf but men cannot wear shorts which go to the top of the calf, why te double standard?

What they should do is have an dining room option for those who are so offended my men's calves and them breaking rules etc, should sign up for one floor of the dining room and other who want more of a freedom to dress smartly and comfortable sign up for another floor, this is other than formal night.

:cool:To wear or not to wear---it has nothing to do with clothes. It has to do with respect, courtesy, following curise guidelines and tradition. I wear shorts to work 6 month a year. Love shorts. BUT--I would not wear them to MDR for dinner unless RCCL changed their guidelines. :cool:

:cool:RCCL has a dress code. Some call this "suggested attire". Suggested leaves it to your imagination, but the suggestion is what RCCL would like you to wear on any given night. BUT---The do state this "NO SHORTS OR T-SHIRTS TO BE WORN IN MDR FOR DINNER." That is not a suggestion--that is a rule. Breakfast and lunch fine. Dinner no. Now--the question is do they enforce their own rule? :cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Exactly! If they would enforce their own rules and not allow them in the MDR, we would not be having this discussion :eek::cool:

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing shorts! I have never worn them in the dining room but, that's because I try and folllow the "rules" made by the cruise line. However, someone wearing shorts will not make or break my dining experience in any way. ;)

First night of boarding there is the problem with luggage not arriving in time to change, so rules are more relaxed I am sure. We have been on a cruise where a family arrived on a Formal night, in shorts, they finally were allowed in. Did it affect our meal No, but there were many turned heads. I avoid the problem with late luggage by placing 2 nights of evening attire in my carry on. I also think in these terms, if I am visiting a home, restaurant, wherever, and they have asked for certain attire, then out of respect I feel I should dress accordingly. It is for such a short time, and DH & I go back to our room and put on something more casual for the remainder of the evening. The subject of attire in the MDR in the evening will continue to go on. I won't pay attention to what others wear, as long as they look nice, yet continue to dress as we like to.

:cool:To wear or not to wear---it has nothing to do with clothes. It has to do with respect, courtesy, following curise guidelines and tradition. I wear shorts to work 6 month a year. Love shorts. BUT--I would not wear them to MDR for dinner unless RCCL changed their guidelines. :cool:

I am not normally a rule follower but that is the rebel in me but if I have to wear long pants I begrudgingly/unhappily will and then change right after dinner for the night

I am not normally a rule follower but that is the rebel in me but if I have to wear long pants I begrudgingly/unhappily will and then change right after dinner for the night

:cool:Agree. Many a formal night I am back in shorts and golf shirt for the rest of the evening. Formal night for me ends after dinner:cool:

This thread just cracks me up. The RULE is NO SHORTS OR TANK TOPS in the Main Dining room. You knew the rule when you purchased the cruise (and if you didn't you had better research your travel plans better before booking). If you don't want to change out of your tanks or shorts then plan to go to the wind jammer or another less formal venue. When a land based place says "no shirt No shoes No service" do you remove your shirt or shoe because "I'm not going to conform"? If you are invited to a black tie affair, do you don your shorts because "NO ONE is going to tell me how to dress"? I doubt it. Stop complaining, put your big boy pants on and come to dinner!

Here's a suggestion:

If you're gonna' break the rule then just man up and walk in. If they stop you, accept the consequences. To con your way in that way just sounds a little weasely but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Guess I just have a problem in that if you don't want to get with the program, stay out of the MDR and eat in your room. Why do you go on a cruise in the first place if you want to run around looking like a slob?? There are rules no matter where you go about what to wear. Part of the fun of a cruise is getting dressed up and dining. Even on non-formal nights a nice pair of dress slacks with a business shirt or blouse is accepted or a nice pants suit or dress. NEVER shorts, nice or otherwise. Only on deck or in the Lido area. The MDR is not Mcdonalds. The operative word is "dining" which means dressing up not down.

here is my problem with wearing shorts in the mdr. On a normal night if men wanted to wear dress shorts and a nice golf shirt...no problem, however, what will happen is some will turn up with regular wrinkled shorts and printed t'shirts,that they have worn that day, then women will want to know why they cannot wear shorts, then they will be allowed in because others are allowed in. We have just returned from a 10 day Roman Empire cruise and people (men and women) were dressed like this in the mdr for dinner...even on formal nights, when we asked the maitre'd why this was allowed he said because they did not want to "upset" guests. This was a HAL cruise not Carnival! My thoughts on the matter are, if you want to wear shorts go to the Lido for dinner (as we do when we do not want to dress appropriately)and let those of us who quite enjoy getting dressed for dinner, enjoy what we have paid for, I am also on vacation and the dining experience is part and parcel of my vacation.

This thread just cracks me up. The RULE is NO SHORTS OR TANK TOPS in the Main Dining room. You knew the rule when you purchased the cruise (and if you didn't you had better research your travel plans better before booking). If you don't want to change out of your tanks or shorts then plan to go to the wind jammer or another less formal venue. When a land based place says "no shirt No shoes No service" do you remove your shirt or shoe because "I'm not going to conform"? If you are invited to a black tie affair, do you don your shorts because "NO ONE is going to tell me how to dress"? I doubt it. Stop complaining, put your big boy pants on and come to dinner!

I had originally asked because we had not been on RCL in 2 years and was wondering if they lowered the dress code as other cruise lines have done over the years

Guess I just have a problem in that if you don't want to get with the program, stay out of the MDR and eat in your room. Why do you go on a cruise in the first place if you want to run around looking like a slob?? There are rules no matter where you go about what to wear. Part of the fun of a cruise is getting dressed up and dining. Even on non-formal nights a nice pair of dress slacks with a business shirt or blouse is accepted or a nice pants suit or dress. NEVER shorts, nice or otherwise. Only on deck or in the Lido area. The MDR is not Mcdonalds. The operative word is "dining" which means dressing up not down.

Here is where we differ, myself and family do not find "part of the fun of a cruise" dressing up and when on other lines we do not dress like slobs, we wear nice shorts with a collared shirt. Like i mentioned i was checking if hopefully the dress code had been lowered since we have not been on RCL in 2 years and it has not so pants it will be for those 1;15 minutes in the dining room.

Dining does not always mean dressing up, depends where that dining is, high end restaurant yes, a huge room with over a thousand people, maybe or maybe not.

Also have a 9 year old boy and he hates dressing up and wear shorts everywhere so another reason i was checking.

We just got off the Allure a few days ago. In the daily cruise compass it is written "short pants... are not permitted in the MDR nor specialty restaurants." Every night, including the formal nights, dozens of passengers went to dinner in shorts and t-shirts. It takes away from the atmosphere of fine dining. Noone was turned away. Why are they still offering tuxedos for rent? I asked the head waiter when he came around the dining room if "all these passengers had their luggage lost in transit?" He knew what I meant, and said that they couldn't turn anyone away because of "customer service." In the old days, if you didn't want to get dressed properly, you were either asked to go to the Windjammer, or order room service. No more.... Carnival has set the new standard, and RCCL is falling in line!:mad:

Check Carnival's online dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code:

Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts;

Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

RCCL, NCL and other lines are probably different but since the OP mentioned Carnival and NCL this is part of his answer.

Do not know why it would bother people if I had presentable shorts on non formal nights, how does that affect the quality of the service or food :)

Thanks!

The problem arises in the interpretation of "presentable". Depending on where you come from that could be anything from Bermuda shorts to cutoffs. Personally I don't see that putting on a pair pants for a couple of hours is that big a deal.

We just got off the Allure a few days ago. In the daily cruise compass it is written "short pants... are not permitted in the MDR nor specialty restaurants." Every night, including the formal nights, dozens of passengers went to dinner in shorts and t-shirts. It takes away from the atmosphere of fine dining. Noone was turned away. Why are they still offering tuxedos for rent? I asked the head waiter when he came around the dining room if "all these passengers had their luggage lost in transit?" He knew what I meant, and said that they couldn't turn anyone away because of "customer service." In the old days, if you didn't want to get dressed properly, you were either asked to go to the Windjammer, or order room service. No more.... Carnival has set the new standard, and RCCL is falling in line!:mad:

I am curious why what people wear affect your dining experience, aren't you focused on your family and food at the table, are you looking under the table at the men's shorts and then have trouble eating your dinner.

my family is focused on our experience, if we see an odd outfit walk by, we may chuckle and go back to our time together

Check Carnival's online dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code:

Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts;

Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

RCCL, NCL and other lines are probably different but since the OP mentioned Carnival and NCL this is part of his answer.

yes the carnical cruise we were just off, i wore log pants only on formal nights.

On our NCLL cruises they have 2 dining rooms with same menu, one you have to wear long pants and the other you can wear shorts, perfect alternative

Archived