San Juan Airport Hotel..good or bad idea?

lcgvol

We will be arriving in San Juan around 10 pm the night before our cruise. I have booked The SJ Airport Hotel for our group of 6(possibly 10). I have read a lot of reviews about this hotel. Some not so good. Most say the same thing..good for one night, very small rooms, etc. We just felt like with arriving late, we'd feel better about just getting our luggage and going straight to our room without the hassle of getting a taxi. We will only be there a little over 12 hours.

Has anyone stayed here and is it as bad as some of the reviews state? I can still cancel without penalty. My problem was trying to find something decent that would let you book only one night. Also it is spring break, so everything is pricey. This one was $171 with taxes.

Getting a taxi at San Juan Airport is not a hassle. There are always some available outside baggage claim. IF that is your reason for booking a hotel you aren't enthused about, catch a taxi and go to someplace that will please you more.

I wouldn't let getting a taxi be such a deciding factor. IMO

Like OP said getting a taxi in San Juan is easy flown into San Juan 3 times always right into the taxi after getting our bags like you we have always had late arrivals as flying out of CA just want a bed after a long day of traveling we have always used priceline or Hotwire and gotten a 4 star for just over slight over $100 night. And longest taxi ride was 15-20min if that.

We stayed there in February 2010. It is a very basic hotel (Best Western) but if you are coming in late at night and going to the ship the next morning it would be fine and they do serve breakfast You just walk your luggage over to the hotel. We had no trouble getting a taxi to the ship the next morning.

Ontario Cruiser

Since the hotel is no longer a Best Western, it is starting to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrive at 11:30pm on the Friday night before our cruise and I was going to book this hotel for 1 night but decided to just go ahead and take a taxi to our Old San Juan hotel and wake up on Saturday to tour the city.

I would keep your reservation, no sense taking a taxi the night before your cruise to a hotel and then pay for a taxi the next morning to the cruiseport. Also, alot of the hotels in San Juan charge a "resort fee", which is about 16% of your room charge, so why should you be charged the fee if you only want to sleep? This hotel does not charge a resort fee.

Stay with the hotel, I believe too that they offer a free breakfast in the morning. Enjoy your cruise!

We stayed there in February 2010. It is a very basic hotel (Best Western) but if you are coming in late at night and going to the ship the next morning it would be fine and they do serve breakfast You just walk your luggage over to the hotel. We had no trouble getting a taxi to the ship the next morning.

Ontario Cruiser

We've stayed there on the way out once- it was ok- nothing great, nothing horrible. Quiet, good enough. For outbound stayers, it was nice just to stroll to the security line....

In terms of arriving late- we've waited for a very late flight from my parents once- and then went to a hotel- wasn't too bad. Getting a taxi is pretty easy, and there are enough bigger hotels that will be there when you arrive. Closest area is Isla Verde, but there are now more than one hotel that is very close to the Panamerican Pier, where ships leave.

Archived