Air Deviation vs choose your own

2poolesrus

Good Morning - We have never cruised with Oceania but we are planning a Tahiti cruise. We are planning a day or two precruise hotel and then fly home directly after the cruise. Normally we book our own airfare but I do not know how this free airfare works. Is it really free? :confused:

If we book our own what kind of OBC would we receive?

Also, If we choose to let Oceania book our air how much is a deviation fee.

Thank you

It's free in the sense that the cost of the airfare from certain gateway cities is already included in your price. If you don't take O's air you get a discount off your price -- although I believe this feature expires Sept 30.

The amount of the discount depends on the destination. Your TA should be able to tell you the amount, or the reservations agent at Oceania.

The air deviation fee was $125 but I've read it is going up to $150. Not sure when that is effective though.

It's free in the sense that the cost of the airfare from certain gateway cities is already included in your price. If you don't take O's air you get a discount off your price -- although I believe this feature expires Sept 30.

The amount of the discount depends on the destination. Your TA should be able to tell you the amount, or the reservations agent at Oceania.

The air deviation fee was $125 but I've read it is going up to $150. Not sure when that is effective though.

We are going to Tahiti in April and took Oceania air for the first time. In the past we have always booked our own air and took the credit. How much of a credit (not OBC) depends on the actual cruise. The air deviation charge is effective now and is $150 pp. In addition to the deviation charge you may be charged an additional cost for the flight. We fly out of NYC and our additional air cost was $100 pp. We are flying 2 days early and staying 4 days after the cruise ends.

I haven't heard anything about O stopping the credit. Would this mean you have to fly their air?

We always take the O air and the deviation fee..we can choose our flights, but this

coming trip they offered us one airline going over to Bangkok and a different one coming back from Dubai..times were ideal..we could not have done that

on our own. We also paid $200 for nonstop return flight. Worth it..

Sherry & Kimber

The other responses were excellent. Here's a quick synopsis...

If you pay the advertised "air included" fare, your flights will indeed be "free" -- that is, included in the fare. If you choose to book your own, the fare will be less. If you're using an agent, they can get the amount of the credit for your specific cruise (it varies). If you're booking directly, the Oceania representative can give you the amount. If you're looking at the fare on line, there is an option to price it with an without the air included.

Here's the rub -- the amount of the credit used to be closer to the actual amount you might pay if you booked the flights yourself, especially if you were willing to book some less popular flights. Several years ago, however, Oceania reduced the amounts to the point that it is nearly impossible to book flights yourself and save money. Unless you have frequent flyer miles, you will almost always be better off letting Oceania book your flights for the included fare.

If you simply let them arrange the flights, you will not learn your flight information until shortly before you sail. You will be routed to fly in the day of sailing. The flights will almost always be "pretty good"; Oceania has an excellent Air Department and they take pride in getting you the best flights possible.

However, you have the option to request a "deviation", which means deviating from the standard flight arrangements. Your agent, or you if you're booking directly, can request flight information to arrive early or depart later (or both) or to request specific arrangements your specify. When you request the deviation (within 270 days of your cruise), the Air Department will give you a proposal. It costs nothing to make the request; the deviation fee of $150 per person is only charged if and when you accept the proposal.

The proposal may or may not involve an extra amount because the flights proposed would cost more than Oceania is willing to pay. It's up to you to decide whether that extra cost, if any, along with the deviation fee, is worth it or not.

In my experience, Oceania's flight arrangements have always been so preferable that it has been worth the deviation fee and, only once so far, an extra fare amount. Even after adding it all up (the Air Credit amount, the Deviation Fee, and any Extra Fare), it has always been better flights than I could book myself for that amount, and a lower cost than I could find making any arrangements with any airline.

The only time I have not used Oceania's air is when I have had enough miles. For example, for my upcoming transAtlantic from Miami to Barcelona next April, I took the Air Credit amount from Oceania and am flying back to Miami with miles. Playing the creidt card game, I've accumulated enough miles to pay for one-way Business Class flights.

Great reply Don.

I checked on the Tahiti air credit and it is $1200.00. You get zero on board credit if you dont use it. Since the air fare, Tahiti Nui, runs about $1800. I would take the Oceaina offer.

From Hawaii to Maimi , for example, the best Air I could find was $1150 rt. Oceaina would only reduce my fare by $500....

Now a question. I am going to use Oceania for a Hawaii to Tahiti and Return from London air. The reason is that a one way Hawaii to Tahiti costs almost $2000 one way! ( You have to fly through LA, as only 1 flight a week from Hawaii ) and the return from London is another $ 1600 one way.

I would only get a $1200 credit and have to spend $3600.

If I request an Air deviation, for $150, and request the return flight London to Hawaii, be on united, ( which I have major miles) can I then pay for an Upgrade ( 20,000 miles +$400 the std UAL charge) on my return ticket?

I Can't use UAL miles to Tahiti because that one place they dont fly nor do any of their partners.

Great reply Don.

I checked on the Tahiti air credit and it is $1200.00. You get zero on board credit if you dont use it. Since the air fare, Tahiti Nui, runs about $1800. I would take the Oceaina offer.

I am not really sure what you are talking about

If you do not use Oceania air they take the "air credit" ($1200. in your case) off the cruise price

If your cruise price with included air was say $5000 they reduce it to $3800

Then you book what ever airline you choose

There is no OBC for not using the Oceania airfare... unless your TA gives you one

I am going to use Oceania's Air. If they use United for the return flight from London fine. It they do not I will pay the $150 fee to request UAL.

Thats crystal clear.

What is not clear is using Oceania's air, and traveling London to Hawaii, can I, with my miles, buy from the airline, an upgrade to Business?

I am going to use Oceania's Air. If they use United for the return flight from London fine. It they do not I will pay the $150 fee to request UAL.

Thats crystal clear.

What is not clear is using Oceania's air, and traveling London to Hawaii, can I, with my miles, buy from the airline, an upgrade to Business?

I think this was discussed before

I would check directly with Oceania either via your TA if you used one or Oceania air dept directly

It would be dependent on the tickets Oceania contracted for .... not many here would know the contract terms ;)

We have done just that, successfully.

There are however, several variables involved:

1) Research the price, availability and schedule of Flights with upgrade-able seats BEFORE committing to Oceania. You'll need a working knowledge of what the airline is selling in order to use the Oceania system profitably.

2) Once you have decided to go with Oceania, YOU MUST PAY THE DEVIATION FEE in order to specify that Oceania purchase an upgrade-able class of ticket on your behalf.

There may be an upcharge for this, based on the cost of non-upgrade-able tickets versus upgrade-able tickets.

3) Some Airlines (Delta comes to mind) require that you be physically ticketed BEFORE any upgrades may be purchased. If this is the case with your Airline of choice, then you must plan to make Final Payment on your Cruise at the time when you wish to upgrade your Flights.

4) After Oceania has purchased the Economy Tickets, the upgrade itself is handled between passenger and Airline.

Hope that this helped!

Leaving from wintery Canada to Caribbean on Riviera in March '13.

If we have booked with Oceania and there is a weather delay (i.e. snow storm) and plane is unable to takeoff and we miss the ship departure, what happens ??

Does Oceania cover the cost of flying you to 1st island destination OR

Do you lose everything OR

is money refunded..??

If we have booked with Oceania and there is a weather delay (i.e. snow storm) and plane is unable to takeoff and we miss the ship departure, what happens ??

Do you lose everything OR

is money refunded..??

Make sure you buy trip cancellation insurance for delays such as this

READ the fine print

We fly in a day or more early especially in the winter months, the deviation fee is worth every $ ;)

I am pretty sure if you miss the ship you will not be refunded you will need to claim it through insurance, but I have never missed the ship so not really sure how it works

Wow - Everyone is very knowledgeable here. I really appreciate all of the advice. Since we are coming from Canada the flights will be expensive although we do have air miles that could be used to LAX. My air miles company doesnt go to Tahiti. :mad: I will have to wait now to see if Oceania will include airfare when this September 30th promotion ends and the next one starts up - At least I hope there is a new promotion. :D

Thanks again for the information.

... I will have to wait now to see if Oceania will include airfare when this September 30th promotion ends and the next one starts up - At least I hope there is a new promotion. :D

There is always airfare as part of every promotion, and there is always a promotion of some sort. "2 for 1" and "free airfare" have always been included with Oceania, at least until close to sailing on very popular cruises. With Oceania, as opposed to mass market cruise lines, the earler you book, the better the deal. If offers are better as part of a newer promotion, you will be protected.

Wow - Everyone is very knowledgeable here. I really appreciate all of the advice. Since we are coming from Canada the flights will be expensive although we do have air miles that could be used to LAX. My air miles company doesnt go to Tahiti. :mad: I will have to wait now to see if Oceania will include airfare when this September 30th promotion ends and the next one starts up - At least I hope there is a new promotion. :D

Thanks again for the information.

I would not wait too long

Even if a new promotion comes up the space may not be there

As Don said airfare is included in the price ....so far;) The closer to sailing the included airfare may disappear

If you want to do the cruise book soon

Lyn

The cruise we are looking at is 2014 South Pacific which I was told will be coming out on October 10th - This is a bucket list cruise so I am very excited - icon7.gif

Since we will not be able to book air seats at that time (only 330 days out) would you still pay for deviation at the time of booking?

Since we will not be able to book air seats at that time (only 330 days out) would you still pay for deviation at the time of booking?

Deviation starts about 270 days out

Are you sure O is doing SP in 2014?

The cruise we are looking at is 2014 South Pacific which I was told will be coming out on October 10th - This is a bucket list cruise so I am very excited - icon7.gif

I would probably pay for the air deviation when I booked the cruise, because the interest on $300 for sixty days won't make any kind of significant difference in the lifestyle of my heirs ;)

Do you lose everything OR is money refunded..??

The usual rule as I understand it is that the ship doesn't leave without you.

However ... every rule as exceptions. When we did the Panama Canal cruise in O's early days, there were several people flying down from (as I recall) the Boston area who were delayed by weather and couldn't get to the ship in time. While REGATTA might have waited under normal conditions, had she down so we would have missed our slot for the Canal. So the captain sailed without them.

I don't know when or if they caught the ship or what happened to them in terms of refunds, etc.

To be safe, I would also recommend a deviation with you flying in a day or two early ... just to be safe.

Mura

The usual rule as I understand it is that the ship doesn't leave without you.

Mura

I think that rule is only if you are ship sponsored tours

In the case of volcanoes & earthquakes they do try to accommodate their passengers but it is not always possible

Are you sure O is doing SP in 2014?

The rep at Oceania that I called had told me it would be so I hope so but I guess we will see :rolleyes: - if it does not we will need to look to another line but the marina seemed perfect in size, style and itinerary

I think that rule is only if you are ship sponsored tours

In the case of volcanoes & earthquakes they do try to accommodate their passengers but it is not always possible

I wasn't talking about tours, Lyn. I was referring to using Oceania's flights to get to the ship for the departure of the cruise. The question had been "what if we have weather problems getting there", not if the ship would wait for you if you were on a tour.

Clearly, they won't wait for you if you went off on your own tour. The only time we were ever late returning from a tour we indeed were on a ship's tour (with NCL back in January 2002). In that case our bus broke down and we were an hour and a half late returning to the ship.

It waited for us. Some fellow passengers took advantage of the delay to spend more time in town. (This was a tender port in South America.)

Mura

I wasn't talking about tours, Lyn. I was referring to using Oceania's flights to get to the ship for the departure of the cruise. The question had been "what if we have weather problems getting there", not if the ship would wait for you if you were on a tour.

Mura

Mura

If there was a plane full of O passengers they may wait but not always the case

So the answer to the question is it depends on the circumstances

Just because you book air through Oceania does not mean the ship will wait if you are delayed

That is what I was trying to say

Flying to S.A. may be an exception but flying to Miami the ship is not waiting for you;)

That is why it is always prudent to fly in a day or more early especially during the winter if you live in the snow belt ;)

Lyn

Archived