QM2: What's with the balls?

SFImporter

I see the itinerary for our October Canadian cruise has three balls happening: Black & White Ball; Buccaneer Ball; Masquerade Ball.

That's a lot of balls. What are they like? Is this mostly couple dancing? As a Gay couple, ballroom dancing with each other is not going to be in the cards. I'm wondering how much effort to put into these things.

I get the Black & White Ball - easiest of them all. Simply show up in a tuxedo.

Is the Buccaneer Ball pirate themed, or am I reading too much into it? Is this a chance for me to wear my purple pirate shirt? ;-)

How involved is the Masquerade Ball? Are masks provided, or should I do some shopping beforehand?

But again - I'm not sure what happens at a Ball - and does it spill over to the other parts of the ship? For instance, would you wear your pirate shirt to dinner, or do dinner first and then change?

Any insight out there?

I think Cunard over-hypes the balls. The balls last an hour or two in the queens Room. Yes, there is dancing, but not everyone is dancing. Some want to listen to the music, watch the dancers, see whatever people have worn for the occasion. It really isn't a big deal.

the only theme that spills over into the dining room or other parts of the ship is the black and white because that's easy to do in formal wear. And if you don't do the black-and-white thing, it's not a violation of dress code. I remember being at a cocktail party on black-and-white night, and I saw a young woman in a red cocktail dress. My first thought was that she would have an easy time finding her picture in the photo gallery!

For the pirate thing or the masquerade ball, people do not dress as pirates all night or wear masks to dinner. The ship does sell masks on board, or you can bring one from home. I don't recall seeing people dressed in costumes. It's more a masked ball than a costume party. Although, since you're going in October, if you're on the ship on Halloween they might ramp it up a bit.

I see the itinerary for our October Canadian cruise has three balls happening: Black & White Ball; Buccaneer Ball; Masquerade Ball.

That's a lot of balls. What are they like? Is this mostly couple dancing? As a Gay couple, ballroom dancing with each other is not going to be in the cards. I'm wondering how much effort to put into these things.

Is the Buccaneer Ball pirate themed, or am I reading too much into it? Is this a chance for me to wear my purple pirate shirt? ;-)

How involved is the Masquerade Ball? Are masks provided, or should I do some shopping beforehand?

But again - I'm not sure what happens at a Ball - and does it spill over to the other parts of the ship? For instance, would you wear your pirate shirt to dinner, or do dinner first and then change?

Any insight out there?

Hi SFImporter. I remember with fondness the Buccaneer Ball on QM2 in the Fall of 2008 on a Caribbean cruise...several passengers had changed into costume after dinner and went to the Queens Room. They seemed to have a good time, and it was contagious. But, of course, it is not mandatory to either attend the ball or to have a costume, and the event largely depends on what passengers make of it.

For the Masquerade Ball, I bought a simple Mardi Gras mask, but haven't worn it after several voyages. I found that the Masquerade Ball wasn't much of a "thing", other than the decorations in the Queens Room, but it always seems to be well attend by passengers after dinner.

As far as you dancing with your partner: if you both enjoy ball room dancing, then dance the night away! While others might disagree, from my experience on the Queens Room dance floor, the only thing that matters is skilled dancing. Check out the nightclub right off the Queens Room.

Hope you have a very enjoyable voyage. Regards, -S.

P.S. Just to add that as others have mentioned, no the "themed nights" rarely extend to areas of the ship other than the Queens Room, with the exception of the Black and White Ball. Quite charming to see so many people dressed in black and white...the ships decour provides a colourful background, and I believe it is on those nights that the ships interior is most complemented.

Any insight out there?

Hi SFimporter,

My partner and I are on that cruise as well. The balls, while special in themselves and unique to Cunard, are no more than Cunard hype and, I suspect, fodder for the photographers.

As to dressing in costume, that is optional, and the majority of passengers, most generally, do not dress in the theme.

Just follow the general dress code for the evening and you'll fine.

There is a short roll call for this cruise in the Cunard roll call board of CruiseCritic.

See you aboard!

Bobby

Quite charming to see so many people dressed in black and white...the ships decour provides a colourful background, and I believe it is on those nights that the ships interior is most complemented.

I agree, Salacia. An excellent observation! The atmosphere within the ship is always even more pleasant on formal nights, and the prevailing elegant ambiance is accentuated.

Any insight out there?

As part of a gay couple, perhaps I can help a bit..The Black & White, is pretty much a Tux party. Dancing is optional, of course. Many choose to sit around with friends & have a cocktail. You could always ask a single woman if she'd like to dance. The Buccaneer Ball is one of the fun ones. We met this guy from the GLBT meetings & he went all out(including a fake parrot)It was a riot.(the fact that Drew was a nice bit of art didn't hurt,either)So feel free to wear that Purple shirt, mascara & do Jack Sparrow proud! The Masquerade Ball really just requires a simple mask. Do get one at home, as Cunard's prices were outlandish. Try the mask from "V" for Vendetta. We had these ones similer to the masquerade from Phantom of the Opera, but one guy had the mask from V. Boy did that get attention! As to when to wear the "costumes" this depends on what dinner seating you have. If you have early seating, then it's best to change after dinner. If you're in the Grills,same thing. The other thing is..you don't have to wear any costume at all. There's plenty of folks who go to the balls without dressing the part(except the Black & white, where formal is the norm)So the real thing is, have a blast!

Thanks for all the info everyone. This will be my first Cunard cruise. I've taken two others (as an adult), but ironically, they were both on the same ship, the Regent (formerly Seven Seas) Mariner - Alaska and Hong Kong/Asia. The Mariner experience is very egalitarian - everything is included, including the specialty restaurants, liquor, any food or drink, etc. - and everyone pretty much as a similar balcony room.

I'm initially put off by the class-like system of Cunard, but will try to keep an open mind.

Thanks for all the info everyone. This will be my first Cunard cruise. I've taken two others (as an adult), but ironically, they were both on the same ship, the Regent (formerly Seven Seas) Mariner - Alaska and Hong Kong/Asia. The Mariner experience is very egalitarian - everything is included, including the specialty restaurants, liquor, any food or drink, etc. - and everyone pretty much as a similar balcony room.

I'm initially put off by the class-like system of Cunard, but will try to keep an open mind.

There's really no class system anymore. The only restrictions are the Grills. You get much better food & service to details. It's the same you'd get on NCL's Epic in the Villas or MSC's Yacht Club. It's basically you get more when you pay more. if you can do the Grills..Go for it. It's worth it.

PARTIAL QUOTE

...I'm initially put off by the class-like system of Cunard, but will try to keep an open mind.

Hi SFImporter. I can understand your initial reaction. I've met many interesting passengers on board various QM2 voyages. No one has ever asked mentioned their stateroom category. We might mention it here, on an open forum, just as a point of reference (and often as a humourous aside). Always an open mind is a good thing. ;)

Salacia,

Rower

Platinum World Club, etc.

I agree, Salacia. An excellent observation! The atmosphere within the ship is always even more pleasant on formal nights, and the prevailing elegant ambiance is accentuated.

Thanks Bobby. I've grown to appreciate the ambiance on QM2 even more after sailing other cruise lines.

I see you are sailing soon - wishing you a happy voyage. Cheers, -S

The first time I stepped on board a plane I was likewise offended by the class-like system. I couldn't believe that they physically segregated people with curtains and bulkheads. Not to mention the stigma of realising that I was neither first or business class, just economy.

Once the shock wore off and I regained my composure, I tried to come to terms with flagrant discrimination that I was witnessing, and being subjected to. Eventually I distilled it all into one simple explanation - the more you pay, the more you get. It turns out that aeroplanes, like ships, provide more services and amenities to people who pay more - it has nothing to do with social class, education or background.

Archived