Carnival Spirit Embarkation Alcohol Policy

Debsta

I'm booked on 16/11. We booked carnival for something different to p&o. If we wanted p&o service we would have sailed from brisbane instead of flying with our 18 month old to Sydney. I'm not that happy to be honest. Since final payments have been due the cost for my cruise has dropped $1600. Carnival have told me tough. Not happy jan

We (21) of us booked in last November after a few of us went on a (3) day Pacific Jewel sampler cruise. We loved it (probably cause we left the kids behind !) and wanted to cruise again. We chose the Spirit firstly because they take (2) year olds in kids club and secondly because we thought it would be more like a cruise out of America - which we could'nt afford. Trying to get info out of Carnival since & prior to booking is like pulling hens teeth. They either don't know the answer - (how did they get the job ?) or skirt around your question and change the subject. The whole shore tour info wait was ridiculous. I was told that that info would be available way back in April, then told in (2) weeks each time I called. Even now with just over 30 days to go you still can't book them. I was hoping the reason they took so long was because they were going to offer some really different things like Parasailing or hemet diving but they all are they same as P & O. I don't mind about the Aussie- fying with the coffee, but I don't need to go an a cruise for a sausage roll, bbq or pie. Sounds like that would be more for American tourists coming to cruise out of Australia to do the whole Aussie thing, not for Aussie wanting a holiday ??

I too browsed the net and US carnival site for info and was hoping to pre -purchase alcohol & soft drink packages and from the gift shop to surprise the kids.

Anyway I'm taking my bottle of wine and a slab of soft drink and bottled water and look out anyone who tries to stop me !! After nearly a year of planning, dreaming and anticipation they better not dissapoint me !:mad:

Or and for those of you who are mad about the drop in prices check with your travel agent. Ours gave us a $1000 odd refund after final payment and upped our OBC. I whinged to her after I kept getting offers emailed from Carnival with better deals and more OBC after we had paid our deposit. She initially spoke to Carnival who only upped my OBC in our family booking because I was the one who got the emails, but then came thru for every one else in the family, thank God, or it would have been my shout. So talk to your agent -worth a try anyway:)

Just posted by Carnival Cruise Lines Australia today on their facebook page:

If you are on cruises departing Sydney on 20th & 28th October, 8th, 16th & 27th November, 6th December, you are in luck.

We’ve actually just reconsidered our policy on wine and will not be allowing any alcohol at all to be brought on board on day of embarkation. The change brings us in line with P&O and is consistent with the kind of experience we want to provide on board. We realize some of you cruising in the next few weeks may have seen our previous position on this and we will go ahead and allow one bottle of up to 750 ml (for guest 18 years and older) to be brought on board in your hand luggage at embarkation though the December 13, 2012 sailing.

Thanks for the info. We are going on 20/10 so I will definately be taking my bottle on board. My brother whose coming too just rang me back after I told him and he said that some where on the E-ticket terms and conditions it says wine brought on will incur $ 10 corkage in dining room and $14 in steakhouse- so I thought , great thats ok, a quiet drink on my balcony when the kids finally go to bed, how lovely !, then I read the posts after yours - sorry I 'm not sure how to re-quote it - but it said Carnival have a no alcohol in room policy ?????? they would have to be kidding. Why would you bring on a bottle of wine if it will probably be the same price o after corkage ? Is this true ?

Also just a question as you've been on carnival before do you know any day spa prices or info on the steam room/saunas do they charge like on the Pacific Jewel ? Carnival australia don't seem to know as I emailed them over a week ago and am yet to hear from them.

thanks

Les,

Princess Australia have the same alcohol policy as Princess USA - passengers can take wine on board but not spirits. There was a temporary glitch on one ship only (Dawn Princess) where one staff member seemed to be enforcing his own version of the rules. We went on the Dawn Princess in April (Hawaii/Tahiti) and we took wine on board at several ports, as did other passengers. We didn't hide the wine and a few times Security made the comment "Oh, that's wine. That's OK." even though it was more than the oft-quoted 1 litre per person.

Granted, but The American Princess ships have a much more liberal attitude to the policy, i.e. bringing on beer and unlimited bottles of wine, as the Americans do. I have seen them wheel on cases of the stuff, even last year on Ruby and Coral.

But crikey, reading these posts about the alcohol policy on Carnival Spirit, what no alcohol in cabins, are they joking or what?

I cannot see many Aussies complying with that. Are the Carnival Alcohol/Fun Police going to search every cabin? The mind boggles.

I know Carnival wanted to launch the brand here in Australia but I just don't understand why the ship wasn't rebranded as a P&O ship...

If they had done that, at least we would have booked expecting the P & O experience, not the Carnival experience.

Granted, but The American Princess ships have a much more liberal attitude to the policy, i.e. bringing on beer and unlimited bottles of wine, as the Americans do. I have seen them wheel on cases of the stuff, even last year on Ruby and Coral.

I hate to admit it, but we took 10 litres of wine onto the Sun Princess in one of the South African ports. It was a long way back to Fremantle. :D We didn't hide the wine.

Strangely they wouldn't let us take beer on in Port Kelang, whereas six weeks earlier on the same ship a friend took on a slab of 30 cans of beer (that he split with my husband).

Also just a question as you've been on carnival before do you know any day spa prices or info on the steam room/saunas do they charge like on the Pacific Jewel ? Carnival australia don't seem to know as I emailed them over a week ago and am yet to hear from them.

thanks

I just bumped up my review which has heaps of info as a US Carnival Spirit :p I would imagine their prices will be exactly the same as P&O :D

Also I think we all need to take a chill pill. I was considering cancelling our NYE cruise as we haven't paid in full, but I've also learnt getting caught in the negative hype can be dangerous to your cruising health

Don't worry.........Be happy! :D Treat it as a Magical Mystery Tour :D

I am on the NYE cruise and have thought about cancelling – Carnival has not honoured our cabin, or our dinning times (we booked in Feb to take advantage of the 500 On board credit). However, it’s a new brand I have not tried, and I am trying not to have expectations (This leads to disappointment!)

Go with a positive mind, and see how it is – you will never know if you never go!

spoke to my agent and was told tough.. i logged a complaint with the agency which has been sent to the state manager... we will see

once you pay your final payment thats about it, they normally dont drop the price or give obc.....you can always try but i wouldnt count on it

If they had done that, at least we would have booked expecting the P & O experience, not the Carnival experience.

Not sure what Carnival experience you are looking for or expecting over P&O?

Free soft serve ice cream, more casual free food choices other than just a buffet and free (with a tip) room service or less on board activities,no theme nights less choice/courses in MRD non interactive cruise entertainers.

From my Carnival experience the above were the only difference apart from the age/size of ships.

They are "Very strict" on BYO booze (smuggled or carried on) even more so than P&O. One bottle of wine pp is allowed on embarkation day and only embarkation day with the same cost for corkage in MRD/steakhouse,they are also very strict on the amount of soft drink allowed to be brought aboard per cabin not per person.

BV booze was good for me but exorbitant compared to USA bottle shop prices and the bar booze sold was also exorbitant compared to prices ashore in USA but reasonable enough compared to Australian prices.

My Carnival experience was being treated as a responsible adult and allowed to buy BV booze and drink it wherever I wished,other than that Carnival is just the American version P&O anyway.

Den

Not sure what Carnival experience you are looking for or expecting over P&O?

Free soft serve ice cream, more casual free food choices other than just a buffet and free (with a tip) room service or less on board activities,no theme nights less choice/courses in MRD non interactive cruise entertainers.

From my Carnival experience the above were the only difference apart from the age/size of ships.

They are "Very strict" on BYO booze (smuggled or carried on) even more so than P&O. One bottle of wine pp is allowed on embarkation day and only embarkation day with the same cost for corkage in MRD/steakhouse,they are also very strict on the amount of soft drink allowed to be brought aboard per cabin not per person.

BV booze was good for me but exorbitant compared to USA bottle shop prices and the bar booze sold was also exorbitant compared to prices ashore in USA but reasonable enough compared to Australian prices.

My Carnival experience was being treated as a responsible adult and allowed to buy BV booze and drink it wherever I wished,other than that Carnival is just the American version P&O anyway.

Den

Hi Den,

The "experience" that I was looking for (and expecting) over P & O includes the following:

1. To be able to purchase "bottomless bubbles" packages for our family

2. To be able to purchase bon voyage gifts to be placed in my mothers and sisters staterooms

3. To be able to purchase bon voyage alcohol to enjoy on our own balcony

4.To be able to purchase fun ship dollars in advance

5. To be able to purchase speciality restaurant packages in advance

6. To be able to do more online than just enter passport and emergency details.

7. To be able to view a picture of my stateroom on the Carnival website

8. To be able to purchase canape trays for enjoyment on our balcony

What I was not expecting includes the following:

1. To be treated like a child and told that my 60 year old husband and myself cannot be trusted to drink alcohol in our own stateroom without supervision

2. To purchase a suite that advertised "a full bar setup" and "fully stocked mini-bar, replenished daily", then be told that the mini bar is now a "refreshment bar" and the full bar setup is redundant "because of certain incidents that have happened on Australian cruise ships". Yes, she actually said this, as if it isn't obvious which incident she is talking about.

3. To be offered a different experience to Carnival everywhere else in the world.

4. For Carnival to market it as a Carnival ship and operate it as a P & O ship.

The above points may or may not be important to you (or anyone else), but these ARE things that are available to Carnival passengers everywhere else in the world, except Australia. Why?

In regards to the Bon Voyage liquor prices, I would be happy to pay $100 a bottle, to me it's not about the prices, but about the convenience of being able to enjoy a few drinks on our balcony without trekking up to the bar every time one of us has an empty glass.

As I said, to you (and everyone else) these may be petty or minor things, but to us they all added up to be part of the cruising experience we were looking forward to. It just takes the shine off things.

We thought about cancelling, but my family has booked now and my little man is so excited about the water park. I have tried to take Debsta's advice with the chill pill, and we have decided to go along, treat it as a P & O cruise, and then we won't be dissapointed.

Nala.

Nala

You never know, those things may become available before your cruise next April. I honestly believe Carnival Australia have no idea what they are doing still. The FB board is being updated by someone in Miami, John Heald has now piped up only to be shot down by someone in Miami (in regard to babies being allowed in the pools with nappies on :rolleyes:), no one from Carnival Australia is in sight. I think they've all taken long service leave :p Their computer system is still shat and not fully developed, but it will be I would imagine.

We all have our likes of what we want and/or need on a cruise. Mine is smoking on the balcony which now I can't do although when I booked I was told I could :rolleyes: I wouldn't have booked a balcony if that was the case, however, my girlfriend who is coming is so excited about the balcony - and it's her first cruise - so I've let it be.

Oh and for the record, I'd take P&O's food over Carnival's any day so I hope they fix that one up too :p

Don't worry, be happy :D Lalalalala (and don't venture near Carnival Australia FB page without hazmat gear on........it's very scarey :eek:)

I hate to admit it, but we took 10 litres of wine onto the Sun Princess in one of the South African ports. It was a long way back to Fremantle. :D We didn't hide the wine.

and it was a great cruise - we got South African Rum on board with no problems and didn't hide it but they checked an empty beer bottle when getting back on in Cochin - it was to be a souvenir but they were suspicious of why we wanted an empty beer bottle.

and it was a great cruise - we got South African Rum on board with no problems and didn't hide it but they checked an empty beer bottle when getting back on in Cochin - it was to be a souvenir but they were suspicious of why we wanted an empty beer bottle.

Yes, it was a great cruise.:D We took a slab of 30 cans of beer at Port Kelang (shared with another couple) but when we were there abut six weeks later on the same ship, we weren't allowed to take any beer on board.

Varying rules make it difficult.

Hi Den,

The "experience" that I was looking for (and expecting) over P & O includes the following:

1. To be able to purchase "bottomless bubbles" packages for our family

2. To be able to purchase bon voyage gifts to be placed in my mothers and sisters staterooms

3. To be able to purchase bon voyage alcohol to enjoy on our own balcony

4.To be able to purchase fun ship dollars in advance

5. To be able to purchase speciality restaurant packages in advance

6. To be able to do more online than just enter passport and emergency details.

7. To be able to view a picture of my stateroom on the Carnival website

8. To be able to purchase canape trays for enjoyment on our balcony

What I was not expecting includes the following:

1. To be treated like a child and told that my 60 year old husband and myself cannot be trusted to drink alcohol in our own stateroom without supervision

2. To purchase a suite that advertised "a full bar setup" and "fully stocked mini-bar, replenished daily", then be told that the mini bar is now a "refreshment bar" and the full bar setup is redundant "because of certain incidents that have happened on Australian cruise ships". Yes, she actually said this, as if it isn't obvious which incident she is talking about.

3. To be offered a different experience to Carnival everywhere else in the world.

4. For Carnival to market it as a Carnival ship and operate it as a P & O ship.

The above points may or may not be important to you (or anyone else), but these ARE things that are available to Carnival passengers everywhere else in the world, except Australia. Why?

In regards to the Bon Voyage liquor prices, I would be happy to pay $100 a bottle, to me it's not about the prices, but about the convenience of being able to enjoy a few drinks on our balcony without trekking up to the bar every time one of us has an empty glass.

As I said, to you (and everyone else) these may be petty or minor things, but to us they all added up to be part of the cruising experience we were looking forward to. It just takes the shine off things.

We thought about cancelling, but my family has booked now and my little man is so excited about the water park. I have tried to take Debsta's advice with the chill pill, and we have decided to go along, treat it as a P & O cruise, and then we won't be dissapointed.

Nala.

Well said! I agree with everything that you said, plus charge for room service, will have to pay for morning cup of tea, not happy!! We are going on 20th October, very dissapointed with Carnival. Still looking forward to it though, if not happy will not book with them again, we will go back to Royal Carribean.:)

A shame the P&O Australia 'stigma' of alcohol issues has led the Carnival Cruise Line to implement P&O Australia Alcohol Policy. OR is it all about money, they want you to buy their booze. I believe the latter. I concur with Mum81's attitude on this issue. Carnival is very petty. As I said before, different rules for us Aussies, the Americans would not cop it.

A shame the P&O Australia 'stigma' of alcohol issues has led the Carnival Cruise Line to implement P&O Australia Alcohol Policy. OR is it all about money, they want you to buy their booze. I believe the latter. I concur with Mum81's attitude on this issue. Carnival is very petty. As I said before, different rules for us Aussies, the Americans would not cop it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head about it being profit related.

When I questioned Carnivals alcohol policy through the call centre, I was told that under the NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol legislation, it is ILLEGAL to serve or make available alcohol in Carnival Australia staterooms.

I asked the consultant was she RSA trained? She said no, I told her that I was, and that in no way was it illegal for Carnival to serve us alcohol in our stateroom unless we were intoxicated. She then had to admit that it is not RSA laws, but infact P & O and Carnival Australia policy.

Then, they use "incidents on Australia cruise ships" as the excuse for implementing this policy. There have been many assualts, sexual assualts, and deaths on AMERICAN cruise ships, yet they still have all the usual Carnival facilties.

I wonder if the recent "intoxicated man overboard" on Carnival in America means that the mini-bars will be ripped out of all the American ships? I don't think so! They will keep feeding us this garbage as long as we keep buying it, I guess. As you say, the Americans wouldn't.

Nala

You never know, those things may become available before your cruise next April. I honestly believe Carnival Australia have no idea what they are doing still. The FB board is being updated by someone in Miami, John Heald has now piped up only to be shot down by someone in Miami (in regard to babies being allowed in the pools with nappies on :rolleyes:), no one from Carnival Australia is in sight. I think they've all taken long service leave :p Their computer system is still shat and not fully developed, but it will be I would imagine.

We all have our likes of what we want and/or need on a cruise. Mine is smoking on the balcony which now I can't do although when I booked I was told I could :rolleyes: I wouldn't have booked a balcony if that was the case, however, my girlfriend who is coming is so excited about the balcony - and it's her first cruise - so I've let it be.

Oh and for the record, I'd take P&O's food over Carnival's any day so I hope they fix that one up too :p

Don't worry, be happy :D Lalalalala (and don't venture near Carnival Australia FB page without hazmat gear on........it's very scarey :eek:)

OMG!! You were right, the facebook page is scary, so much conflicting information. I would love to think that they would bring back the Carnival facilties I have mentioned before April. I can only hope.

Archived