Carnival Spirit Embarkation Alcohol Policy

Debsta

I think you have hit the nail on the head about it being profit related.

When I questioned Carnivals alcohol policy through the call centre, I was told that under the NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol legislation, it is ILLEGAL to serve or make available alcohol in Carnival Australia staterooms.

I asked the consultant was she RSA trained? She said no, I told her that I was, and that in no way was it illegal for Carnival to serve us alcohol in our stateroom unless we were intoxicated. She then had to admit that it is not RSA laws, but infact P & O and Carnival Australia policy.

Does the last reason given by Carnival suggest that alcohol will be banned from staterooms on P&O as well or is it the usual confusion between Carnival the umbrella compoany and Carnival the cruise line with P&O as a complicating factor? Or is it an American use of the word alcohol to refer to spirits with wine and beer as separate categories? It is only a bit over a year since P&O relented and brought out a room service menu offering wine and beer - in suitably :p prescribed amounts. I am :confused: and potentially angry as we were considering a last minute booking on one or the other line if the right cruise and price popped up next year.

Does the last reason given by Carnival suggest that alcohol will be banned from staterooms on P&O as well or is it the usual confusion between Carnival the umbrella compoany and Carnival the cruise line with P&O as a complicating factor? Or is it an American use of the word alcohol to refer to spirits with wine and beer as separate categories? It is only a bit over a year since P&O relented and brought out a room service menu offering wine and beer - in suitably :p prescribed amounts. I am :confused: and potentially angry as we were considering a last minute booking on one or the other line if the right cruise and price popped up next year.

I don't know if the information I have been given is correct. I have asked for further clarification, but so far I have been told that the Carnival Spirit will have "a strict no alcohol in stateroom policy". I have been told this includes beer and all alcoholic drinks will be removed from the mini-bars onboard. Soft drinks and juices will be in the mini-bars.

on p&o australia you can buy a bottle of wine from any bar and take it to your cabin and drink it, surely the same rule should apply with the Spirit

Not sure to be honest, I didn't ask, neither of us are wine drinkers. If you can buy a bottle of wine on the Spirit, who is going to stop you taking it to your cabin anyway?

We can't do this with beers as they open them, and we can't do this with spirits as they are pre-mixed. It means going to the bar for each drink.

Maybe I should take up drinking wine?? ;)

I am over the whole thing and wish I hadn't booked. Was that excited to get back on a Carnival Cruise leaving from Melbourne, we substituted it for a planned Hong Kong holiday! I won't be treated like some dim-witted school girl getting a slap on the wrist when I have my Scotch on the Rocks each arvo in the quietness of my cabin either and plan to find a way!

Carnival called me back today and told me they had some good news. They told me this hasn't been released to the public yet, but due to people questioning the "no alcohol in stateroom policy" they have adjusted the rules.

New rules: Still no mini bar, still no bon voyage liquor

You can now order 2 drinks (beers, mixed drinks or cocktails) or one bottle of wine per person to your room from room service at a time. They tell me there will be no charge from room service to deliver this.

It's not exactly what I wanted, but I think it's a big step in the right direction. Hopefully they will start to listen to "what Australians want" and not tell us "what Australians want". Fingers crossed.

Hi Den,

The "experience" that I was looking for (and expecting) over P & O includes the following:

1. To be able to purchase "bottomless bubbles" packages for our family

2. To be able to purchase bon voyage gifts to be placed in my mothers and sisters staterooms

3. To be able to purchase bon voyage alcohol to enjoy on our own balcony

4.To be able to purchase fun ship dollars in advance

5. To be able to purchase speciality restaurant packages in advance

6. To be able to do more online than just enter passport and emergency details.

7. To be able to view a picture of my stateroom on the Carnival website

8. To be able to purchase canape trays for enjoyment on our balcony

What I was not expecting includes the following:

1. To be treated like a child and told that my 60 year old husband and myself cannot be trusted to drink alcohol in our own stateroom without supervision

2. To purchase a suite that advertised "a full bar setup" and "fully stocked mini-bar, replenished daily", then be told that the mini bar is now a "refreshment bar" and the full bar setup is redundant "because of certain incidents that have happened on Australian cruise ships". Yes, she actually said this, as if it isn't obvious which incident she is talking about.

3. To be offered a different experience to Carnival everywhere else in the world.

4. For Carnival to market it as a Carnival ship and operate it as a P & O ship.

The above points may or may not be important to you (or anyone else), but these ARE things that are available to Carnival passengers everywhere else in the world, except Australia. Why?

In regards to the Bon Voyage liquor prices, I would be happy to pay $100 a bottle, to me it's not about the prices, but about the convenience of being able to enjoy a few drinks on our balcony without trekking up to the bar every time one of us has an empty glass.

As I said, to you (and everyone else) these may be petty or minor things, but to us they all added up to be part of the cruising experience we were looking forward to. It just takes the shine off things.

We thought about cancelling, but my family has booked now and my little man is so excited about the water park. I have tried to take Debsta's advice with the chill pill, and we have decided to go along, treat it as a P & O cruise, and then we won't be dissapointed.

Nala.

Sorry if it sounded as though I was not agreeing with your grips about Carnival Australia ,that was not my intention:)

I possibly should have written it a bit better and I have agreed with you throughout this thread and was just trying to say that carnival is basically the P&O of America, only Americans cruisers would not put up with such garbage about BV or BYO drinks and the like being not available for "our own good",we all know this is just spiel to maximize profits or lower initial fares.

You would be surprised by how many on these OZ/NZ CC boards over the years have totally agreed with the cruise lines (P&O mainly) policies and even believe that high prices and no BYO especially "are for our own good" even though many have witnessed the constant overselling and pushing of that overprice booze.

I have been a avid "Smuggler" on cruises,not because I cant afford onboard booze or am a big drinker,its because i just dont believe their lame excuses to charge more than necessary!

Den.

Sorry if it sounded as though I was not agreeing with your grips about Carnival Australia ,that was not my intention:)

I possibly should have written it a bit better and I have agreed with you throughout this thread and was just trying to say that carnival is basically the P&O of America, only Americans cruisers would not put up with such garbage about BV or BYO drinks and the like being not available for "our own good",we all know this is just spiel to maximize profits or lower initial fares.

You would be surprised by how many on these OZ/NZ CC boards over the years have totally agreed with the cruise lines (P&O mainly) policies and even believe that high prices and no BYO especially "are for our own good" even though many have witnessed the constant overselling and pushing of that overprice booze.

I have been a avid "Smuggler" on cruises,not because I cant afford onboard booze or am a big drinker,its because i just dont believe their lame excuses to charge more than necessary!

Den.

Hi Den,

No offence taken. I can get a bit worked up about things when I feel that a company or business is treating me like an idiot. Compared to RCI, NCL, Disney etc etc, Carnival probably is the closest thing to P & O in America (only they treat the passengers like adults :rolleyes:).

I've never really been a "smuggler", but all this Carnival business makes me want to take it up!:)

Carnival called me back today and told me they had some good news. They told me this hasn't been released to the public yet, but due to people questioning the "no alcohol in stateroom policy" they have adjusted the rules.

You can now order 2 drinks (beers, mixed drinks or cocktails) or one bottle of wine per person to your room from room service at a time. They tell me there will be no charge from room service to deliver this.

It's not exactly what I wanted, but I think it's a big step in the right direction. Hopefully they will start to listen to "what Australians want" and not tell us "what Australians want". Fingers crossed.

Well, that is a small win, and hopefully more will follow.

Like you, I am not a big drinker, Mick enjoys a glass or two of wine with dinner, and I have been assured that there will be a good selection of Australian wine on board at reasonable prices, so that is not such a big deal.

It is more about booking a cruise back in July 2011, when the Carnival US terms and conditions were applicable, and having the rules change after we made the booking.

We are grapegrowers and enjoy taking on a couple of bottles of our own wine to share with people we meet on the cruise. Looks like that will not happen this time.

Have taken a chill pill (wise advise Debsta), and as I have shown our 12 yr old grandson the videos of Green Thunder, there is no way he wants to change to another ship, so we are still intending to go. At this stage I am watching the developments with amusement rather than anger

Hilary

Mmmmm just deleted what I had written as it got to the point where I was starting to rant! I don't agree with a lot of the changes Carnival have made (and I'm a non drinker and non smoker). I feel we are being discriminated against. Bad enough that we have to pay more than US customers but now the goal posts have been moved once we've paid for our cruise! Thank my lucky stars I'm not a first time cruiser. If I was, I'd be shatting myself right about now with all the misinformation and lack of organisation on Carnival's behalf. But, as Debsta advises, I'm taking a chill pill, sitting back and letting all these feeds go over my head. Going to enjoy myself. If I don't like MY experience, then I won't be cruising with them again. Easy!!!

Interesting update, I'm surprised you even managed to get someone from Carnival to call you back. I emailed them some questions a while ago and never even heard back !

I was at my local shopping centre yesterday and one of the Travel agencys were having a week long Carnival promotion, charging $2 for fairy floss and handing out the odd free balloon- WOW ! :rolleyes: Anyway the girls couldn't shed any light on all the recent discussions but told me a Carnival rep would be there on Thursday - to answer questions.. don't think I will make it there, but if I can I will be sure to quiz him/her . I picked up the latest 2012-2014 Carnival Australia brochure and thought I'd share a few things in it.

Page 8 - Room for everyone and I quote -

"Picture this. You're on your own private balcony, a glass of bubbles in hand, kicking back with your feet up sharing a special moment with your favourite people or person." and " All our rooms feature flat screen tvs, beach towels, a mini bar, robes ....etc"

Soooooo confused,what does a no alcohol in stateroom policy actually mean- surely it means no alcohol ? are they going to frisk us before we go to our rooms to make sure we are not smuggling drinks to our room like naughty teens ? Can I drink my (1) bottle carry of champers in my room ? If I have my relatives in my room can we all order a drink or do only (2) of us get a drink so we don't get too roudy :rolleyes:. Does the glass of bubbles in my hand mean "a glass of Coke" or should I bring the kids bubble mixture and pour it in a glass and sit on my balcony ? HaHaHa. And any time I have booked a resort /hotel etc a mini bar meant booze and a couple of cans of fizzy and water/maybe juice, but definately some sort of booze ! otherwise it's not a mini bar it just becomes a small fridge! I think they are just messing with our minds !

Food looks good too, looking forward to Fat Jimmys C side BBQ- with a Southern American twist ? whatever that is.. don't they eat roast Guinea pigs in South America ?

Reading the new brochure even though it is still a little vague for my liking has re-newed my excitement and I am really looking forward to it now !:)

Interesting update, I'm surprised you even managed to get someone from Carnival to call you back. I emailed them some questions a while ago and never even heard back !

I was at my local shopping centre yesterday and one of the Travel agencys were having a week long Carnival promotion, charging $2 for fairy floss and handing out the odd free balloon- WOW ! :rolleyes: Anyway the girls couldn't shed any light on all the recent discussions but told me a Carnival rep would be there on Thursday - to answer questions.. don't think I will make it there, but if I can I will be sure to quiz him/her . I picked up the latest 2012-2014 Carnival Australia brochure and thought I'd share a few things in it.

"Picture this. You're on your own private balcony, a glass of bubbles in hand, kicking back with your feet up sharing a special moment with your favourite people or person." and " All our rooms feature flat screen tvs, beach towels, a mini bar, robes ....etc"

Soooooo confused,what does a no alcohol in stateroom policy actually mean- surely it means no alcohol ? are they going to frisk us before we go to our rooms to make sure we are not smuggling drinks to our room like naughty teens ? Can I drink my (1) bottle carry of champers in my room ? If I have my relatives in my room can we all order a drink or do only (2) of us get a drink so we don't get too roudy :rolleyes:. Does the glass of bubbles in my hand mean "a glass of Coke" or should I bring the kids bubble mixture and pour it in a glass and sit on my balcony ? HaHaHa. And any time I have booked a resort /hotel etc a mini bar meant booze and a couple of cans of fizzy and water/maybe juice, but definately some sort of booze ! otherwise it's not a mini bar it just becomes a small fridge! I think they are just messing with our minds !

Food looks good too, looking forward to Fat Jimmys C side BBQ- with a Southern American twist ? whatever that is.. don't they eat roast Guinea pigs in South America ?

Reading the new brochure even though it is still a little vague for my liking has re-newed my excitement and I am really looking forward to it now !:)

Crikey some false advertising in the Carnival Australian brochure then, quoting bubbles on the balcony and mini bars. I reckon this a matter for Dept of Fair Trading ! Carnival might have to revise their silly alcohol policy for us. Not that I will be on Carnival Spirt in the near future. But many are. I was on Carnival Spirit in 2005, Hawaii, Pacific, Alaska, drink what you liked then, plus take your own wine and beer on, no problems. We all know why..ship was 90% full of Americans. They would not cop this policy as I said before on another post..

I saw a couple of wine glasses on the bench in that brochure too (definitely not coke glasses)....just to add :confused:

Sooo, what happens if a US citizen tries to embark on one these cruises carrying a bottle of bubbly? Won't he be impressed when his bubbly is confiscated. And you think he won't squeal about it?

I do notice that these Canival Spirit cruises are not listed on the carnival.com (global). Looks like as far as Carnival (global) is concerned, Carnival Spirit disappears to some other parallel world for a few months.

Sooo, what happens if a US citizen tries to embark on one these cruises carrying a bottle of bubbly? Won't he be impressed when his bubbly is confiscated. And you think he won't squeal about it?

I do notice that these Canival Spirit cruises are not listed on the carnival.com (global). Looks like as far as Carnival (global) is concerned, Carnival Spirit disappears to some other parallel world for a few months.

Longer than a few months. And try explaining to those same US guests why they're VIFP status counts towards nothing with the Spirit and vice versa. I just don't get it! If it's a P&O ship, call it a P&O ship...

Longer than a few months. And try explaining to those same US guests why they're VIFP status counts towards nothing with the Spirit and vice versa. I just don't get it! If it's a P&O ship, call it a P&O ship...

Its A P&O ship :D

Den

An update on me taking Carnival up on their "false advertising" about the mini bar situation and the full bar set-up in the suite - I got $50 onboard credit per person as compensation :D.

For me, it cushions the blow a bit of finding out I won't be able to mix drinks in our own cabin.

Some people will think this is me wanting something for nothing (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but I feel it was only fair given the cruise has cost us just over $5000 and we booked it based on the advertised facilties.

Shouldn't this thread be on the P&O Aust/NZ boards:confused::D:D:D

Den

Bwahahahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

But it's not quite P&O (or any other cruise line for that matter). Kids can wear nappies in ALL the pools (well 'ceptin Serenity Deck cos that's for 18 pluses :p) So they are offering a "different experience" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

An update on me taking Carnival up on their "false advertising" about the mini bar situation and the full bar set-up in the suite - I got $50 onboard credit per person as compensation :D.

For me, it cushions the blow a bit of finding out I won't be able to mix drinks in our own cabin.

Some people will think this is me wanting something for nothing (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but I feel it was only fair given the cruise has cost us just over $5000 and we booked it based on the advertised facilties.

Just enough to buy some Rum Runners :D :D :D :D

Fair enough. I certainly don't think you are trying to get something for nothing. You are just trying to get the product as advertised. Good on you. :)

Bwahahahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

But it's not quite P&O (or any other cruise line for that matter). Kids can wear nappies in ALL the pools (well 'ceptin Serenity Deck cos that's for 18 pluses :p) So they are offering a "different experience" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I thought someone said nappies would be banned from open areas of the ship:) Just bare baby's bottoms in the pool.

Archived