Will Thirty-somethings feel completely ridiculous on O?

MakeItCount

We are booked on a Riviera cruise on August 6 this year. My partner and I are 26 and 29. I've had other people tell me that I'll be the youngest person on the ship. But I figure that it's not a problem for me, and if others have a problem with it then that's their issue. Very much looking forward to it!

I am sure you will have a great cruise. You will probably be among the youngest but not necessarily the youngest and it sounds like that is not an issue for you anyway. It certainly wont be for anyone else. My wife and I have often been at the younger end of the demographic and its never been an issue at all. I think too much is made of the age issue with cruising. When I stay at a hotel I dont ask what the mean age of other guests is?

Oceania people are great people at all ages.

on our December 2012 cruise on the Riviera we got a couple of "You are too young to be on this cruise" from a few people. ...

Those people were probably just jealous--few of us were capable of doing premium-level cruising at a young age.

We are booked on a Riviera cruise on August 6 this year. My partner and I are 26 and 29. I've had other people tell me that I'll be the youngest person on the ship. But I figure that it's not a problem for me, and if others have a problem with it then that's their issue. Very much looking forward to it!

Good attitude! You may find that we older folks love having you around, and some may try to take you under their wings, so to speak.

Whoops, that last post leaves me worried! ;)

We (m/m) are both 38 and will be on the Panama itinerary from Miami to SF in April.

However, I'm looking forward to a relaxing time at sea (mental note: bring lots of books!). I'm sure we'll enjoy the diners and ports. And hopefully we still can have wonderful conversations with the other passengers!

I'm curious if oceania cruisers in general often mix with other (younger?) passengers or keep more to themselves?

I recall a recent European cruise on Marina where we (both of us in our very active late 60's) became acquainted with a number of younger passengers. One couple in their late 20's and the other in their late 30's. We took a number of private tours together and thus had opportunities to have meals and drinks together at times. We all enjoyed each other's company and learned much from each other. I think that it is up to yourselves to make the experience a positive one that you can celebrate together and with others. When you are up to being with others share a meal. When you want that private romantic dinner book one in Tuscana or any of the other quiet restaurants on board.

Sit at the bar in Horizons or Barista's and people watch or join a table with others. It is up to you by now you can size up people and find others that you are comfortable being around. By all means sign up with a small private tour (8 or less) on the roll call with people that want to see the same sights you are looking to explore. Then there are the cooking classes and tours. We found them great hands' on experiences.

On the inaugural cruise of Marina we went deep sea fishing and took surfing lessons in Costa Rica and Mexico. So there are places and activities that you can indulge in together.

Happy Anniversary & smooth sailing,

Bill & Jeannie

I'll let you know later this year;)

I did Crystal and Radisson in my 20s, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn in my 30s and while at times I may have been the youngest passenger on board it was never an issue for me (well aside from one excursion that I felt Crystal had mishandled). Also AmEx platinum is nice, but a good TA will usually get you better things than the AmEx perk.

For us, a secret of cruising is to be a little forward.

In Martinis, Horizons, etc we are always asking "Are these seats taken", 'May we sit here?" Another good opening line is "How was your day"

Same on tours, we always hear an accent, a comment, etc that lets us open a conversation with someone else on the tour.

Of course, being active in CC also almost guarantees a few friends on board.

By the time we are half way through the cruise we know 20-30 people enough to greet them.

So strike up a conversation with people of different ages and enjoy the experience.

You are away from almost all social constraints that exist at home so enjoy being a "newly invented" person.:cool:

Please let me assure you that I absolutely love Oceania cruiseline!

That being said, my 30-something kids look for a different experience when they cruise. They would not select Oceania for that reason. There is a market for the young adult that isn't seeking a non-stop party atmosphere. When they were younger it was RCCL, but they have now found the Celebrity Solstice class an excellent fit for their age group - classy with a fun sense of sophistication.

My honest input would be that you would could have a great time in a fabulous suite on one of their ships - and probably save enough money to spend during the trip. Have a great time regardless of which line you select.

I did not notice anyone on the cruise under about 50 except one honeymooning German couple and one woman who oddly brought her 10 or so year old son who was the only child on board (lovely child).

It's not odd. They may be the wife and child of an officer onboard on a "family visit." :)

Hopefully the attached photo uploads.

This is my 23 year daughter, Shannon, and her SO, Blaine, enjoying one of the shows on the Riviera's maiden voyage last May. I can assure you they had a fabulous time! I don't think they thought for two seconds that they were some of the youngest passengers on the cruise.

D4F27503-E677-44AB-861E-13859400D238-362-000003BDDC9A2D09.jpg

We can't wait!!!!! This looks great!

Only a few more months...anyone else on this thread going on the Italian Escapade on Riviera; departing August 28th from Rome???

:-)

Hopefully the attached photo uploads.

This is my 23 year daughter, Shannon, and her SO, Blaine, enjoying one of the shows on the Riviera's maiden voyage last May. I can assure you they had a fabulous time! I don't think they thought for two seconds that they were some of the youngest passengers on the cruise.

D4F27503-E677-44AB-861E-13859400D238-362-000003BDDC9A2D09.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Me and a couple of my girlfriends will be on your same boat. We are all in our mid to late 30's as well. I never even gave a thought to there being a more seasoned group of travelers but that makes me even more excited. I can take all of their advise they care to offer!

So looking forward to this trip!!!

Archived