Will Thirty-somethings feel completely ridiculous on O?

MakeItCount

First time poster, here. Forgive me if I'm not doing this the right way, or if I word something incorrectly. Certainly not wanting to offend any sensibilities.

Some background: my wife and I are booked on a Riviera cruise (Italian Escapade) on 8/28/2013. We're very excited about this trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and completion of a rigorous graduate program (not finished yet, but will be by next June). We love to travel, and have been fortunate to do quite a bit of traveling, considering our age (mid 30s). We've cruised several times before, but never with Oceania. We discovered that we really love cruising because it gives is a nice survey of a region of the world, and then later we return to favorite places and spend more time there on subsequent land trips.

Anyhow, a couple years ago we made a pact to do something really special for our 10 year. We're Amex Platinum members and use their travel services a lot, and as you might know, Oceania is one of their cruise partners, so we received a lot of information about Oceania. After doing research on cruise itineraries and costs, we felt Oceania offered a tremendous value. Thus, we booked our cruise and upgraded to an Oceania Suite (VERY excited about that even if the cruise is port intensive). However, upon reading these boards I've been given the impression that Oceania is primarily geared toward passengers who, shall we say, have more days of life experience than we've had.

What really caused the "bells" to go off were the Oceania DVDs that we just received where they failed to show any passengers that appear to be in our similar life stage.

In general, this doesn't bother us. In fact, as many (if not more) of our closest friends are 10 years or more our senior as are those who are our age. However, we are becoming concerned that we'll stick out like sore thumbs based on some of the comments on this board and that DVD. (Sort of like the only couple dressed in Hawaiian attire at an all black tie event.)

We recognize that our travel habits and hobbies aren't the same as many other thirty-somethings - even our friends - so a lot of our travel has been in settings where we were some of the younger members of a group. We enjoy that quite a bit, but don't want to feel like a spectacle. I told my wife, hey, we booked the Suite, so we could have every meal in our room if need be, but that's not us. We love to meet people of all ages and we're not into big time partying. We're quiet and enjoy a quiet, relaxed environment with a lot of class and elegance and some fun surprises along the way.

Still very much looking forward to our cruise, but just a little apprehensive about this given what we've read. We'll manage to "tough" it out on a great ship in a great suite with great folks just the the same, though ;-)

Sorry so long for my first post...and hope that I did not offend any passengers out there who've spent a couple more days on this sphere than we have.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and for discovering Oceania. I'm sure that you will get more posts telling you that you have made an excellent choice. We just returned from a cruise on Riviera and had a fabulous time. I won't lie to you and tell you that there will be a lot of other couples in your age bracket cruising with you, but the Oceania crowd does tend to be 'seasoned' travelers. We are in our mid sixties, but are young at heart and met some people who were both older and younger than us. I will tell you that there is not a lot of active night life on board. They do have activities in the late evening, but many couples will see a show and hit the hay since Oceania cruises are very port intensive and tours start early each morning. Oceania beds are wonderful and you will get a great night's sleep.

Join your cruise's roll call and sign up for some private tours in your ports...much better and cheaper that Oceania cruises.

You will only feel out of place if you want to;)

The evening may be a bit slow & most people are tucked away by 11pm but if you have early morning tours you may also be ready to turn in

I have seen quite a few hawaiian shirts on board ;)

Not seen too many of those people on the DVD or brochures except the waitstaff & managers :D

I am sure you will be fine

There are usually some older passengers & some younger passengers & most are very friendly

Go and enjoy & do not eat all your meal in the cabin

Congratulations on your anniversary

Lyn

I am unsure about your "tough it out" comment.

Are you wondering if all of the older travelers (we are 46 and 49) will shun you? Look at you as if you are an alien species?;)

Please rest assured that the environment on-board will be to your liking based on the description of your personalities.

It is not a noisy "party cruise" with tipsy people falling on themselves. . . . but you seem not to want that.

We found people do tend to return to their cabins by about 11pm as many Oceania cruises are port intensive and the days start early. If you like a "late-nighter" you may be on your own.

The food is outstanding, the ship clean and gorgeous, and I can not think of a nicer cruise-line to celebrate a milestone anniversary.

We were on-board for our 25th anniversary and are using DH 50th birthday as an excuse to take another! Everyone seems to socialize based on common interest rather than age. We paired up with a honeymoon couple, a couple our age and a near-to-retirement couple. The conversation and laughs came easily. We are sailing with one of these same couples in June.

Relax and enjoy, use your roll-call here on CC to meet fellow cruisers before you board.

I took my daughter who was 18 at the time in 2006 for a high school graduation present on Azamara )similar to Oceania's demographic.

I was in my mid 40's.

We never felt out of place. Our fellow passengers were terrific. We would see them doing their own things at the different ports. They were active, interesting, fun and great overall.

Husband and I are going in June 2013 on Riviera. We play golf 4-5 times a week, go to yoga, travel. We like quiet, and a relaxed atmosphere. We are not late night people. I suspect we will be in bed before others on the the ship

Your fellow passengers will be all kinds and ages.

Welcome to Oceania. You will not feel out of place. I have met some people in their 80's who act younger than people I know in their 20's. It is a well traveled group, and that is the topic of discussion. We have met lots of wonderful people while cruising Oceania. Think of Oceania's motto, "Your world, your way". Enjoy.

No, you'll be fine if you enjoy life. We're in are 60's, and the last cruise a few younger people like yourself. We had a great time with them and they with us...just depends on you and what you like to do. In fact we've booked that same cruise a few weeks ago. In Jan we're off to Tahiti on a cruise with "O", then the cruise your on. So keep the booking and enjoy the trip. Rick & Ron

We just returned from an Oceania cruise and the demographics is on the older side (chronologically) and there are a lot of people who are physically slower than others so the excursions might be too slow for you. We are in our early 60s and very active. I did not notice anyone on the cruise under about 50 except one honeymooning German couple and one woman who oddly brought her 10 or so year old son who was the only child on board (lovely child).

The entertainment is fun but basic. No nightclub or dance club if that is what you wish.

Now...we were on a cruise for sightseeing and resting and being with each other, so socializing wasn't our focus. We generally ate alone by choice or in our suite.

We enjoyed it. So it depends on your focus.

Oceania is nice. Service is wonderful. I miss our butler.

Thanks so much!

We're definitely not into the "getting wasted" scene at all, but we do like to have a good time and see awesome places. This is one of the reasons we were attracted to the Oceania because we're not into the booze cruises or party boats. We enjoy some nice wine and a drink here in there. No nightclubs necessary. Not our thing. We love travel and seek out high quality for fair price. I think we've found that here from what I can tell.

And, in general, we tend to feel more comfortable with our more mature friends. We aren't low on energy either, and neither are they.

Basically, we just didn't want to be like the lady referenced above with the 10 year old son and thus remembered by everyone for that fact alone (I.e. A "spectacle.")

As for my "tough it out" comment...joking, of course...hard to complain about a beautiful ship with great food and great accommodations. We're very excited about that and can't imagine not enjoying it regardless of who is on the ship!

We make friends with folks in all stages of life. Just trying to gauge if our age would seem so out of place that it would make us uncomfortable. From what you kind folks are sharing, that would be our hangup only and no one else's.

So, we'll plan to no be hung up on it, and have a blast!!! We can't wait. This has been a challenging year and will continue to be until I've completed my graduate work. We'll be in Rome a few days prior to departure to enjoy the sights there as well.

Oh...and about the Roll Call...I've been there, but haven't found our sailing yet. Maybe I'm not looking in the correct place. Seems bit haphazard and discombobulated, but that's hard to manage on a discussion board anyway. If any of you are making this sailing with us and have found the Roll Call, let me know. We're very interested in booking excursions outside of Oceania...those are pretty pricey.

And, if anyone from Oceania is reading this, just keep in mind that not everyone under 40 or 50 is interested in a total un-hinged booze fest/party boat, there's a significant demographic of us who might make excellent clients for you...so for that next DVD...take note ;-) LOL!

Look forward to meeting some of you Oceania Gurus!

The demographic on Oceania is definitely skewed to older more traveled cruisers. The age changes on different cruises. Our Panama Canal cruise in January was "geriatric". I think a lot of people use that trip with lots of sea days to get out of cold weather environments. Our European cruises with port intensive agendas have younger people but this is not a Princess or Carnival ship.

However, I tried to answer your question with my 29 year old daughter and her fiancee in mind. Entertainment is sedate but you are so wiped out from intensive port days that you don't really care. You don't have dining venues open 24/7 like on the big ships where you can get pizza etc. On the other hand, you also don't have pesky photographers, art auctions, 8 foot high purple Barneys greeting you as you disembark, pool slides and tons of kids roaming the ship. We leave the ship as soon as she docks and don't come back till she leaves. We do all the ports on our own or hook up with private tours through cruise critic roll calls. There is a lot of walking and hiking and sight seeing on your own so you are tired and ready for that drink(s) when you return to the ship. You can bring your own wine and spirits on board for consumption in your room. We also eat late so we don't get out of the dining venues till 10 pm. I think my daughter/future son-in-law would hit the sack before we would given the amount of activity in port if that is what you are up to.

We are 59/64 and are going on our 6th O cruise. We have met the most interesting people on O ships - young and old. The food is great and the beds are the best. Happy anniversary and have a great time.

Whoops, that last post leaves me worried! ;)

We (m/m) are both 38 and will be on the Panama itinerary from Miami to SF in April.

However, I'm looking forward to a relaxing time at sea (mental note: bring lots of books!). I'm sure we'll enjoy the diners and ports. And hopefully we still can have wonderful conversations with the other passengers!

I'm curious if oceania cruisers in general often mix with other (younger?) passengers or keep more to themselves?

We (m/m) are both 38 and will be on the Panama itinerary from Miami to SF in April.

However, I'm looking forward to a relaxing time at sea (mental note: bring lots of books!). I'm sure we'll enjoy the diners and ports. And hopefully we still can have wonderful conversations with the other passengers!

I'm curious if oceania cruisers in general often mix with other (younger?) passengers or keep more to themselves?

The ship has a good library so you don't have to bring lots of books. Everyone mingles if that is what you want. By the way, we found others on our Panama roll call to share private tours go zip lining in Costa Rica and whale watching in a high speed Zodiac in Cabo. Have a great time. The Canal is fascinating.

On our 2010 Caribbean cruise on Regatta, we played Trivia everyday with 3 other couples. Two couples were in their early seventies, (ourselves included), while the other two couples were in their late thirties. We had a ball, winning most days and enjoying each other’s company at dinner on some occasions. Playing Trivia in the late afternoon in the Lounge or in the Martini Bar in the evening is a great way to interact with other passengers of all ages

Cheers,

Don

There is great surfing in Costa Rica and really good off shore fishing in many ports in Mexico. We did both on our Oceania Miami to SF cruise on Marina. Although it was difficult to find others in our age group to go surfing with RicaSurf dot com picked met us at the port and we had a great day. We are not in your demographic but enjoy action and port intensive cruises. On our European cruise we hung out with a young honeymooning couple in Horizons every night during happy hour. Occasionally we saw them in port and shared a cab. There is no age discrimination on board. Like minded couples seem to find other couples to share experiences and have fun together. Go for it and have a blast. Happy Anniversary.

Of course passengers mix even with the 30 somethings if they want to converse with us oldies (64/65)

We have done 3 Panama trips Jan/Feb/Mar & did not find it sedate

Yes we were getting away from the cold back home but not sitting around in a lap blanket for the trip

Age is just a number.... it is your personality that makes the difference ;)

Go and enjoy

Lyn

Of course passengers mix even with the 30 somethings if they want to converse with us oldies (64/65)

We have done 3 Panama trips Jan/Feb/Mar & did not find it sedate

Yes we were getting away from the cold back home but not sitting around in a lap blanket for the trip

Age is just a number.... it is your personality that makes the difference ;)

Go and enjoy

Lyn

Not only is age just a number, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up :)

As to your concern, let's see if this helps: Age is a state of mind. I consider myself young at heart. On the other hand, I am getting chronologically old(er). I started noticing a few years ago that some people were walking faster than me in airports.

I would say personality is more of what will, or will not, make a successful cruise for you.

We met some wonderful people on our first O cruise. Some were our age; some were younger. Nobody paid $250 for a 4 day "fun cruise" as some other cruise lines advertise. I think those cruises attract a certain socio economic person that maybe tends to be younger...a "party animal" so to speak.

But if you are looking for smart people, successful people, people who can carry on a conversation, business people, people who have "made it," people who enjoy life and enjoy cruising and know how to have a good time but don't feel the need to show off....you have come to the right place.

And on top of that....no formal nights, no suits and ties, and best of all - the most incredible food you will find on a cruise ship.

So welcome aboard....you will do fine

gary

There's not much to add that hasn't already been said!

We are just back from our first Oceania cruise - on the Riviera, same as you. A very similar route, too.

We loved it. I'm 30 and my partner is 36.

We will be going again. We met some great people and had a lot of fun.

Hope that is of some help!

I was in my late 40's, cruising with my 19 yr. old daughter on our first O cruise. We both loved the experience and have booked our third next summer. We have never taken a ship's excurision, preferring to tour on our own or with a small group found via roll call. And we did find people in my age range in those small groups. Nothing against the older travelers, but there is often a difference in energy level, so I posted my age when inquiring about getting a group together. We did enjoy learning from more "seasoned travelers" about what to see and do in upcoming ports and had wonderful dinner conversations with folks at the next table even when dining alone. We chose to dine with larger groups at the specialty restaurants and thought they must have made some notes when putting groups together -- we always were with a variety of ages (ie: not just us and three 70 yr. old couples). As others have said, after a full day in port we were happy to go back to our cabin after a great dinner and read, watch a DVD or just plan the next day's sightseeing strategy. Have a wonderful trip!

I've mentioned this before but on our first Renaissance cruise we had dinner one night with a couple who were in their late 30s. They were the youngest people I saw on the cruise. At the time we were about 55 and 62 and the average passenger was older than we were.

I asked this couple about the age issue and they said they were having a wonderful time, had met interesting people. They were taken aback upon boarding when they saw four wheelchairs being loaded! But they were very happy with their cruise.

I'm sure you will be too.

The point about mentioning age when setting up private tours is very well taken because I know I'm slowing down now! My brain is a lot more active these days than my arthritic knees! But my experience has also been that people who have real mobility problems say so up front. I have met several people here on CC who specifically book absolutely private tours for themselves alone because they do NOT want to slow others down.

Mura

Thanks for the great feedback and advice from so many of you. I feel confident we're going to have a great time. One of the reasons we looked first toward upper end lines such as Oceania was to escape the obnoxious art shows and sales tactics we've experienced in the past; plus the nickel and diming you can sometimes experience. We also don't like to be cramped in our staterooms, and Oceania seems to be very generous with the space in all of their rooms in comparison to other lines. We compared Celebrity and Oceania for this cruise. The price was slightly higher on Oceania, but our room was significantly larger and with more amenities. I'm sure the Celebrity cruise would skew demographically a little more to our age, but not necessarily to our liking.

Sounds like we've made a great choice, and will be well satisfied! This time next year, we'll be returning from our cruise. Seems such a long time away and once it happens, I'm sure it'll fly by.

Lyn, thanks for the link to the Roll Call. I've made an entry there, and will be watching it. I'm sure it'll get more active as time passes. I appreciate the help.

We recently returned for the Italian Interlude cruise on Regatta. I am mid 50s and my partner is mid 40s (lucky me)... anyway there was a really mixed age group on board. Next door to us was a youngish couple perhaps on their honeymoon (going by the number of times the do not disturb sign was on their door). There were teenages travelling with parents and many younger looking couples.

I really think it is more about what you want to do and want from a cruise. I was actually really surprised at how spritely the older folk on board were! You will love it and remember that the Mediterreanean cruises tend to get a slightly younger age group than the longer cruises.

Archived