Venice hotel convenient to port &train station

wantocruisemore

Hotel Tritone or the Plaza..both in Mestre, right across from train station for easy access to Venice and cab at the door for short trip to cruise terminal.

We stayed at Hotel Tritone last year and they are eager to accommodate you for whatever your needs...very nice.

eclue;)

Hotel Tritone or the Plaza..both in Mestre, right across from train station for easy access to Venice and cab at the door for short trip to cruise terminal.

We stayed at Hotel Tritone last year and they are eager to accommodate you for whatever your needs...very nice.

eclue;)

Agree 100% with ecruise and E-500 about the Mestre hotels and some really nice reasonably priced restaurants nearby for dinner. Stayed here 3 nights precruise before taking the train across the street to get to Ravenna where we boarded our ship.

I will be staying at the Best Western Olimpia Hotel precruise in a few weeks ..... chosen because of it's proximity to the Piazzle Roma and the People Mover to the port. There is only one bridge to cross between it and the Piazzle. It's also not far to the Grand Canal and a vaporetto stop. It has a free breakfast that gets very good reviews too.

If you look it up on Trip Advisor, you can see photos of the facility, the rooms, and the garden behind it.

Please post your comments when you return as we have made a reservation at BW Olimpia after our cruise in Jun 2013.

Thanks

Anyone....which hotel is more convenient ?. Best Western Bologna or the Olympia ?.

Hotel Bologna is mainland Venice directly across from Mestre train station. Hotel Olimpia is lagoon side Venice closest to vehicle traffic (Piazzale Roma). If you are arriving by air or train, Hotel Bologna is more convenient. You will have to arrange for transportation to cruise port, though. Also, if you want to do sightseeing in Venice you will have to take a 10 or 15 minute train, bus or taxi to lagoon side. Take a train from Mestre station to Santa Lucia station or a local bus to Piazzale Roma. I believe taxis cost considerably more. My family and I are cruising July 2013 and plan on staying in Mestre for 2 nights. We stayed at Hotel Olimpia June 2010 and really enjoyed it. If this is your first trip to Venice, Hotel Olimpia is a great choice. We decided on Mestre because we are a taking a train to Florence for the day before our cruise and the trains are conveniently across the street.

I've stayed at the Hotel Antiche Figure. If you walk along the Grand Canal to get there- you will have to go over two large bridges. It was only after i stayed there for a few days- that I discovered that you can get there without going over the bridges. Look carefully at a map because if you take the route along the Grand Canal you will be forced to go over two bridges with your luggage. If you do the back alleys- you can take a small bridge instead. When going to the train station- you will either have to go over a large bridge (most direct route) or go through the alleys over a small bridge, walk through Piazzale Roma and take the new bridge to the train station.

No matter where you stay near the train station- you will have to haul your luggage over at least one bridge (to the train station) or take a vaporetto that criss crosses the Grand Canal.

To the OP- I think for the train station and port- the best place to stay is the Santa Chiara or Ca Doge.

A friend and I stayed at the Antiche Figure and highly recommend it. Thank goodness a couple of guys came up as we struggled with our luggage over the first bridge and offered to carry them for us. We had them take them ( 2 pieces each) over 2 bridges and then tipped them 5 Euro each. They smiled and thanked us. The hotel arranged for someone to meet us on our way to Piazalle Roma and take our luggage in a large cart, walking with us. They charged 5 Euro per bag. From Piazalle Roma we took the people mover.

Archived