RCCL Allure has a 21 year old overboard...

LHP

Has anyone that follows the RCCL board read about this?

We just heard it on our local news since the young lady was from Barlett (just outside of Memphis)

btw, I checked their board but did not see anything???

Has anyone that follows the RCCL board read about this?

We just heard it on our local news since the young lady was from Barlett (just outside of Memphis)

btw, I checked their board but did not see anything???

There was one there earlier.

I work in Bartlett TN. I'll watch the news tonight.

The coast guard claims that they weren't notified for 2 hours after the girl went overboard.

RCCL denies.

Very sad. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

We will see. I bet there will be a link to the communication and what time it happened.

How sad someone feels this is necessary to do.

Very sad, I hope no starts guessing about what happen. Wait till the facts are in.

Due to the way the balcony is, it is highly unlikely that she just trip and fell.

Numerous factors are in play, such as....what was her state of mind and was alcohol involved?

Many suicidal people drink or take drugs to get their courage up. Can't really blame the cruise line for that.

O I agree, I was just naming a few examples of factors.

Sadly the cruise line will be blamed most likely. I could be wrong, we will have to wait and see.

Though we still have no idea what was going on a few weeks ago on a carnival ship and may never know.

Terrible! It can't be the cruise lines fault no matter what happened, unless a Carnival Employee threw the person overboard and I doubt that happens very often. Terrible things happen and there isn't always a big company to blame, but that is usually what ends up happening. Sad for the cruise line as well.

I was on board the Allure when they had the man overboard in early Feb and let me tell you, its not a pleasant situation for anyone involved. The captain sounded the general emergency alarm and ordered us to our muster stations due to the suspicion or report of someone going overboard. Let me tell you that it was a tense hour and a very surreal rest of the day and cruise. You meet so many people and its scary to think it may have been them. Really underscores the reality of suicides and the dangers of balconies etc, regardless of that particular case.

The 2 hour thing, I find hard to believe though. We came to a halt almost immediately after there was the first notification of someone going over. The ship stopping is what woke us up.

Terrible! It can't be the cruise lines fault no matter what happened, unless a Carnival Employee threw the person overboard and I doubt that happens very often. Terrible things happen and there isn't always a big company to blame, but that is usually what ends up happening. Sad for the cruise line as well.

FYI - it was a RCL ship, not Carnival.

I was on board the Allure when they had the man overboard in early Feb and let me tell you, its not a pleasant situation for anyone involved. The captain sounded the general emergency alarm and ordered us to our muster stations due to the suspicion or report of someone going overboard. Let me tell you that it was a tense hour and a very surreal rest of the day and cruise. You meet so many people and its scary to think it may have been them. Really underscores the reality of suicides and the dangers of balconies etc, regardless of that particular case.

The 2 hour thing, I find hard to believe though. We came to a halt almost immediately after there was the first notification of someone going over. The ship stopping is what woke us up.

Why was everyone ordered to the muster station? Is this common when someone goes overboard?

Why was everyone ordered to the muster station? Is this common when someone goes overboard?

They were ordered to muster stations becasue the ship now has to account for all passengers and this is how they can identify who if someone is missing and determine if the missing person is the one who went overboard.

It is not just common, it is required.

This happened on our April Hawaiian cruise...(first time it ever happened on one of our cruises).

We did not have to Muster because it was broad daylight in front of a Serenity Deck full of people. Passengers threw 2 orange life rings which they used a markers later on to spot him.

I am thinking the Muster is to confirm that someone is really missing and in our case, there was no doubt....

1 1/2 hours later they spotted him near the rings and got him....(he kept swimming away from the rescue boat)...

They put him off in Hilo (our first port)...his wife, in laws and daughter stayed onboard. Apparently he had tried this many times before and they had all finally had enough....

They were ordered to muster stations becasue the ship now has to account for all passengers and this is how they can identify who if someone is missing and determine if the missing person is the one who went overboard.

It is not just common, it is required.

I thought they would make everyone go to their rooms to do a head count. I guess the muster areas would be quicker.

I work in Bartlett TN. I'll watch the news tonight.

The coast guard claims that they weren't notified for 2 hours after the girl went overboard.

RCCL denies.

Very sad. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

I missed the thread on the RCCL page....so I was hoping it was a false report.

As for when the Coast Guard was notified....that will be pretty easy to prove.

Apparently they have footage of her going overboard (which will be time stamped) and the Coast Guard knows when they were called....

When we were on the Disney ship in 2009 when we assisted with pulling a CCL passenger out of the water, it was very eery. There was a bad lightening storm ahead and each time it would lightening the kids would scream. They made an announcement overhead for everyone on deck to be as quiet as they possibly could, so they could hear the passenger. They did locate him, brought him onto our ship, thank goodness he was alive. But I will never forget them stopping the ship and seeing them dispatch the lifeboats and search for him, nor will I forget the lightening and the announcement asking everyone to be as quiet as possible.

I know, due to news reports after, he was drunk and told his GF he would jump, she said go for it, he did.

Those who subscribe to CND know the USCG will not dispatch until they know it's a certainty that someone is overboard. At night, it's hard to tell if what the woman saw was a person or something else. After muster and a determination of a missing person, then the USCG is called. Between those times, the ship is back at the area searching. It's not as if nobody on the bridge cared.

Archived