What no sugar added or sugar free snacks/desserts are available?

maryred

Simply dilemma, DH was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and is still adjusting his diet. If possible we just want a heads-up on what desserts and snacking options that RCCL has that are either no sugar added or made with sugar substitute.

He realises that fresh or cut fruit is available at most dinning venues and through room service. I seen mentioned in other posts that some ships have sugar-free cookies, he's allowed a moderate amount of carbs. His biggest "hurdle" is that he loves ice cream, so is there any chance of at least no sugar added vanilla being found for a quick cup of frozen satisfaction? Also, if available on the Explorer, where would we find these grab and go treats?

TIA

As a registered dietician I have to say something... not treating your husband, obviously, but otherwise important info.

If he was diagnosed pre-diabetic he is insulin resistant. Meaning, his body is making too much insulin to process normally. The excess insulin is fed through the blood stream and turned into glucose- which then turns into fat. This type of fat is typically stored around the midsection.

Sugar substitutes, although NOT sugar, can trigger the pancreas to produce more insulin as if you wear eating REAL sugar. Please be very careful and LIMIT all "fake" sugars. This is very important with someone with insulin resistance. You do not need any more insulin triggered!

My advice is to pair any type of treat with a protein. I am by no means saying avoid all treats- it's really impossible and not a way of healthy eating. Everyone needs a treat to fulfill an emotional bond, whether it be carbs or sugar.

Anyway- back to protein. Any time he has carbs make him eat protein. The "perfect ratio" is 14 grams of carbs to every 7 grams of protein. No more than 30 carbs every two hours. More protein can be eaten than 14 grams, however, make sure it's lean protein. The protein will help off set the carbs and limit the amount of insulin that is released.

Of course exercise will help release the excess insulin and calm down his system. Did the doctor put him on Metformin?

I recommend the "Insulin Resistance Diet". Found on Amazon for $11. Great read and will make a lot of sense. :)

As a registered dietician I have to say something... not treating your husband, obviously, but otherwise important info.

If he was diagnosed pre-diabetic he is insulin resistant. Meaning, his body is making too much insulin to process normally. The excess insulin is fed through the blood stream and turned into glucose- which then turns into fat. This type of fat is typically stored around the midsection.

Sugar substitutes, although NOT sugar, can trigger the pancreas to produce more insulin as if you wear eating REAL sugar. Please be very careful and LIMIT all "fake" sugars. This is very important with someone with insulin resistance. You do not need any more insulin triggered!

My advice is to pair any type of treat with a protein. I am by no means saying avoid all treats- it's really impossible and not a way of healthy eating. Everyone needs a treat to fulfill an emotional bond, whether it be carbs or sugar.

Anyway- back to protein. Any time he has carbs make him eat protein. The "perfect ratio" is 14 grams of carbs to every 7 grams of protein. No more than 30 carbs every two hours. More protein can be eaten than 14 grams, however, make sure it's lean protein. The protein will help off set the carbs and limit the amount of insulin that is released.

Of course exercise will help release the excess insulin and calm down his system. Did the doctor put him on Metformin?

I recommend the "Insulin Resistance Diet". Found on Amazon for $11. Great read and will make a lot of sense. :)

Great info! Thanks!

Hi there,

Completely understand where you are at this point. I'd like to help by pointing you to a good thread that was started last year and many of us have contributed to. It's not on the RCI board, it's on the "Foodies" board and it's about cruising after a diabetes diagnosis. IMO (and physicians' as well), there is no such thing as pre-diabetes - you either have it or you don't. I think you should consider that your husband has it and go from there. He may be able to control it with lifestyle changes and no medication.

As stated, he should be aware that fruit is loaded with natural sugar and can spike his blood sugar if he eats too much all at once.

I strongly suggest he go to a diabetes nutritional class; his doctor can advise on that. It literally saved my life, taught me how to eat and how to read a label when shopping at the grocery store. Invaluable.

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned. Have a great cruise! And he can do it - I have done it, countless others have done it as well. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361583 <click here

I agree and disagree. Diabetes is where you pancreas does not turn your glucose into energy- or insulin. This is why you take insulin to combat your glucose levels and get your body to turn it into energy.

"Pre-Diabetes" is a bad word. It's implies your body is not making enough insulin when in fact your body is making too much insulin. The reason why "Pre-diabetes" is used is because if you body goes too long with too much insulin the pancreas will shut down (so to speak) and cause diabetes. Basically it's running on over drive and eventually wear out.

I prefer to call it insulin resistant.

I agree and disagree. Diabetes is where you pancreas does not turn your glucose into energy- or insulin. This is why you take insulin to combat your glucose levels and get your body to turn it into energy.

"Pre-Diabetes" is a bad word. It's implies your body is not making enough insulin when in fact your body is making too muchinsulin. The reason why "Pre-diabetes" is used is because if you body goes too long with too much insulin the pancreas will shut down (so to speak) and cause diabetes. Basically it's running on over drive and eventually wear out.

I prefer to call it insulin resistant.

twinmommy08, you have excellent advice, I will definately look for that book as a download or in my local B&N. The ratio will also be helpful in getting him to "graze" over 5 mini meals instead of gorging on breakfast and dinner with snacks inbetween. Additionally I had no idea that sugar substitutes could trigger an insulin responce. He's currently not taking oral or injectables, just diet restrictions with a strong suggestion to lose about 15% of his current weight through increased exercise.

Your explaination does sound more like what my husband's doctor has described as going on, based on 2 seperate A1C testings 6 months apart with a 6 hr glucose tolerance inbetween. Unfortunately since his tests were so "borderline" none of the local endocrinologists are willing to accept him as a new patient in the near future, though 1 does have him down for a consult appointment in 9+ months. Thought there are those that may not like the words Pre-diabetic or Pre-diabetes, it is the best way for the doctor to tell my husband that he could become a prescription dependant diabetic in the near future if he does not watch what, when, and how much he eats in 1 sitting.

I always order the sugar free desserts on ship even though I'm not a diabetic. I don't need the extra calories (and I even watch that as well and do go to either the gym onboard or go walking every morning).

I think the SF desserts are better than the other...:)

I am also diabetic, and love the sugar free coconut cake, which I heard they are taking it off of the menu. I do not eat chocolate, so in the past I have e-mail RCCL dining and have requested sugar free vanilla ice cream. It was no problem and my waiter brought it each night. I will be e-mailing them again for my upcoming cruise.

Simply dilemma, DH was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and is still adjusting his diet. If possible we just want a heads-up on what desserts and snacking options that RCCL has that are either no sugar added or made with sugar substitute.

He realises that fresh or cut fruit is available at most dinning venues and through room service. I seen mentioned in other posts that some ships have sugar-free cookies, he's allowed a moderate amount of carbs. His biggest "hurdle" is that he loves ice cream, so is there any chance of at least no sugar added vanilla being found for a quick cup of frozen satisfaction? Also, if available on the Explorer, where would we find these grab and go treats?

TIA

I love the sugar free peanut butter cookies! they are like my favorite guilt free thing to have on the cruise. They also normally have a sugar free key lime dish dessert. my sister and husband say it is fantastic.

I had gestational diabetes 7 years ago and I agree that you have to watch the sugar free offerings too. I took a one day class and our teacher had us look at the labels. In some cases, the sugar free option had more carbs. (15g is one carb serving). I think the only exception I could find was sugar free maple syrup. It was a good substitute health wise, but I didn't think it tasted all that great.

I've been watching my A1C for all these years. It peaked up to 7 once. Now it is 6.4. I'm told 6.4 is the border. In other words, if I can lose weight and get my A1C back down to 6.3, then I go back to insulin resistant. I take a small dose of metformin beginning about 6 months ago to help with the resistance.

I'm so shocked that the endo's in your area won't accept your husband yet. Can your primary care physician do a referral and get him accepted? I think it is so critical to start getting monitored and most importantly maybe get into a 1 day class. The class I took was how to use a glucometer, and then second half was how to eat and what to look for on labels (i.e. reading the carb amounts instead of the sugar amount).

For what it's worth, even though I've been declared diabetic now, my endo says the treatment is the same. Watch my diet, and take my metformin. I don't currently have to do glucose tests...although it was such a great resource when I was pregnant. I soon learned what foods spiked my sugar. For me, it was cereal or mashed potatoes. So I learned to stay away from those. I learned that I could have a chicken sandwich and a few fries if I took off half the bun.

Have fun on your cruise. Enjoy the food, maybe just limit some of the portion...i.e. half a baked potato instead of the whole thing. I love the suggestion of eating with protein.

Also maybe avoid the juices. They are loaded and there's no fiber to slow the sugar process down. I've heard to eat a half an orange is better than juice because of the fiber in the orange.

It is a learning process.

I wish I had read this thread about 10 days ago. On my first night aboard the Explorer last week, I ordered the sugarless chocolate pot de creme. Vile. Several ppl at my table tasted it and no one would eat it. Therefor, I never ordered another sugar free dessert and mostly skipped dessert entirely (not that i NEED dessert, but I would have liked it). Next time I'll keep the key lime pie and coconut cake in mind.

No one has addressed the "no sugar" drinks. Tea, coffee and water are available at WJ all day. I usually take powder or liquid flavoring for water and make my own in an insulated glass I take along. Makes it easy to carry it along wherever I go on board.

Barb

Barb,

RCL now offers a selection of flavored waters (no sugar) at the stations with the Iced Tea, Lemonade and water. They are pretty good, but you can always bring your own packets if you have favorite flavors.

Sherril

I am a loyal Royal cruiser, and always look to book their ships ahead of the competition when we sail. One thing I have found on Royal is that there is limited desserts around the ship for those with food allergies or sugar concerns. As noted, the no sugar added / low / no sugar options are slim. I have a food allergy to nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanuts, and to an extent, coconut has a similar but less felt effect). Trying to get a tasty dessert on this cruise line is nearly impossible. I have grown accustomed to eating ice cream, and an occasional slice of something.

Royal seems to feel as though everyone wants sugar, and everyone loves nuts. While I can chance the "processed in the same facility", I can not stomach the "we will just take them off" approach.

Our recent sailing on the Carnival Dream, dessert wise, was the best food attentiveness I have received in all my years of cruising. Almost all desserts had nut-free counterparts, as well as an entire sugar-free dessert area in the buffet. Just wanted to add this info to the conversation.

I follow a diet very low in carbs and I usually just don't order dessert, but on a recent cruise decided to see if I could get a small bowl of berries each night (the only thing I eat besides diet Jello or a little whipped cream). I didn't think it would be so hard...the waiter had to send over the "dining room manager" and he said that he would see what he could do. I had to ask for it again on the second night and was kept in suspense until it arrived, but after that I got it each night. On our next cruise we will have MTD and will be dining all over the ship, so I don't expect to be able to get this.

Archived