What no sugar added or sugar free snacks/desserts are available?

maryred

Simply dilemma, DH was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and is still adjusting his diet. If possible we just want a heads-up on what desserts and snacking options that RCCL has that are either no sugar added or made with sugar substitute.

He realises that fresh or cut fruit is available at most dinning venues and through room service. I seen mentioned in other posts that some ships have sugar-free cookies, he's allowed a moderate amount of carbs. His biggest "hurdle" is that he loves ice cream, so is there any chance of at least no sugar added vanilla being found for a quick cup of frozen satisfaction? Also, if available on the Explorer, where would we find these grab and go treats?

TIA

Good question. My daughter is 2 so I don't like to give her processed sugar, but I'm not crazy about sugar substitutes for her either. So I'll add to your question, what is the no sugar added icecream sweetened with? Splenda? Aspartame? Honey? I'm hoping the answer is honey.

I have commented on a cruise with Crystal cruiseline that they needed to take lessons on sugar free deserts from RCCL. Some of the best I have had. I am not diabetic but often order the sugar free deserts. DH is diabetic and has sugar free ice cream every night in MDR.

The sugar free coconut cake is yummy :D But your DH should be mindful of eating too much fresh fruit...very high in natural sugar. My DH's doc made him stay away from it. :eek:
This is the best desert ever but I put a scoop of Vanilla ice cream on it.;)

Good question. My daughter is 2 so I don't like to give her processed sugar, but I'm not crazy about sugar substitutes for her either. So I'll add to your question, what is the no sugar added icecream sweetened with? Splenda? Aspartame? Honey? I'm hoping the answer is honey.

I don't think they would be able to label it "sugar free" or "no sugar added" if it was sweetened with honey. I use a lot of honey in cooking but it has about 16 grams of sugar per tablespoon, about the same as granulated sugar.

I order some of the sugar free desserts in the MDR myself. But I figure that the Sugar Free ones have more fat, and the lowfat have more sugar.

There is also a vitality menu each night that has a Appetizer, Entree and Dessert combination for under 800 calories. They had more symbols on the menu this time. In addition to the vitality and vegetarian, I think they added gluten free and maybe one other.

One rule we've had the last five or so cruises was to limit our desserts to one per day. We can have any dessert we want, but once we eat that, it's over. Before this practice, we'd grab cookies by the handful, sweets at afternoon tea, and desserts at both meals. I think some of those desserts have as many calories as the rest of the meal!

Now if I only had the discipline to tell the assistant waiter to cut me off after one piece of bread each night . . .

I have commented on a cruise with Crystal cruiseline that they needed to take lessons on sugar free deserts from RCCL. Some of the best I have had. I am not diabetic but often order the sugar free deserts. DH is diabetic and has sugar free ice cream every night in MDR.

Same here. On my first cruise I was still closely following an Atkins approach to eating so I ate only sugar free. I really miss the sugar free Swan Cream Chantilly they use to serve at that time.

Carnival has a horrible sugar free dessert option. When I cruised with them to the Mexican Riviera a year and a half ago, each night it was basically just a different color sugar free cake of some sort. And it wasn't very good.

I give high ratings to RCI's sugar free desserts. The variety and taste is excellent.

Gina

I order some of the sugar free desserts in the MDR myself. But I figure that the Sugar Free ones have more fat, and the lowfat have more sugar.

There is also a vitality menu each night that has a Appetizer, Entree and Dessert combination for under 800 calories. They had more symbols on the menu this time. In addition to the vitality and vegetarian, I think they added gluten free and maybe one other.

One rule we've had the last five or so cruises was to limit our desserts to one per day. We can have any dessert we want, but once we eat that, it's over. Before this practice, we'd grab cookies by the handful, sweets at afternoon tea, and desserts at both meals. I think some of those desserts have as many calories as the rest of the meal!

Now if I only had the discipline to tell the assistant waiter to cut me off after one piece of bread each night . . .

You are right about the desserts in general. That is why I almost always go with sugar free. The portion size isn't huge and fat satisfies while the extra sugar in desserts does nothing but cause the craving for more due to blood sugar spikes. Sugar is generally addictive. Fat is not - biologically speaking. Fat is also necessary to a healthy diet as long as it's a good fat. There is no real need for processed sugar in one's diet.

As for the bread, the only way I can win with that is to not even take the first piece. Maybe man cannot live by bread along. But this woman sure could. :D It always seems to hurt the asst. waiter's feelings when I send the bread away. I tell them not to take it personally.

Gina

Actually we buy the quarts of no sugar added ice creams from a local mom & pop ice cream stand that blends their own. The flavors, beside vanilla, they have available on any given day varies. Since they are such a small operation they are not required to have a public list of ingredients, but the owners have assured us that these flavors are only sweetened by adding extra juices from the fruits they blend in and by using butter milk or sweet cultured yogurt. So in reality they are more accurately no processed sugar added frozen custard or yogurt.

I do imagine though that the no-sugar added ice creams to be found on board, like those found in restuarants, are more like the ice creams found in grocery stores. Most of the pre-packaged ice creams are sweetened with Slenda or Aspartame. I've never seen one that listed honey as part of the ingredients, but please let me know if you ever find one.

No one has addressed the "no sugar" drinks. Tea, coffee and water are available at WJ all day. I usually take powder or liquid flavoring for water and make my own in an insulated glass I take along. Makes it easy to carry it along wherever I go on board.

Barb

Simply dilemma, DH was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and is still adjusting his diet. If possible we just want a heads-up on what desserts and snacking options that RCCL has that are either no sugar added or made with sugar substitute.

Hi there,

Completely understand where you are at this point. I'd like to help by pointing you to a good thread that was started last year and many of us have contributed to. It's not on the RCI board, it's on the "Foodies" board and it's about cruising after a diabetes diagnosis. IMO (and physicians' as well), there is no such thing as pre-diabetes - you either have it or you don't. I think you should consider that your husband has it and go from there. He may be able to control it with lifestyle changes and no medication.

As stated, he should be aware that fruit is loaded with natural sugar and can spike his blood sugar if he eats too much all at once.

I strongly suggest he go to a diabetes nutritional class; his doctor can advise on that. It literally saved my life, taught me how to eat and how to read a label when shopping at the grocery store. Invaluable.

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned. Have a great cruise! And he can do it - I have done it, countless others have done it as well. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361583 <click here

I have had diabetes for 45 years and have seen and eaten just about all the sugar free and low sugar stuff there is. I must say that most of the RCCL SF foods are quite good but they are not calorie or carbohydrate free. In fact in some cases sugar free food has almost the same amount of Carbs as the non sugar free food item. So just be careful, you still need to account for the carbs from the low sugar, low fat, and sugar free foods when planning your meals or insulin dosage (in my case anyway).

Mike

OP- Just keep in mind that sugar-free does not mean carb free. So, your husband cannot go crazy with the sugar-free desserts.

Langley directed you to the thread on diabetic eating, a very good resource.

May I also recommend that you check out DiabetesForums dot com. It is a wealth of information, especially for newly diagnosed.

Archived