Connecting cabins on Oasis

colkeena

I have heard from many people that the door makes a huge difference in hearing your neighbor. I have had 2 cabins with connecting doors and have never had a problem. I think as with all rooms it depends who you are sharing a wall with. Some people are inconsiderate and will be a nusence at any and all hours (oh how I love all these people :( )

We had a very bad experience. Could hear everything from conversations to when they closed the door to the bathroom. They also were always out to 2-3 in the morning and we had to listen to them coming back each night or should I say morning. I will never book a connecting unless it is a family member in the other cabin.

I agree with xcell. We had our boy's in a connecting cabin on the Allure and we never heard them when they came back to the cabin at night or any other noise (they were 20 and 23). I think we were very unlucky with the neighbors we got on the Oasis with connecting cabin's, they didn't care who heard them and they let everyone know when they were in the cabin. Just hope you get a very considerate neighbor!!

When I used to travel a lot on business, I would sometimes wind up in connecting rooms at hotels with people who were "less than considerate of their neighbors". I learned quickly that there are 2 doors between adjoining rooms (on land and I assume, on cruise ships). This is because in order to enter either room from the other, both parties have to consent. I asked for extra blankets from the front desk and opened the one door from my side and 'padded' the area between the two doors.

If you do have noisy neighbors, this may not solve the problem completely, but if there is enough space to stick blankets, pillows or towels between the connecting doors, it will DEFINITELY muffle or deaden the noises from the other room. The people on the other side CAN open their door and remove what you put in there, but it is unlikely that they will even know that you have done it. Granted, I have never tried it in a connecting room on a cruise ship, but I assume it would be similar to a hotel.

I had a connecting cabin ONCE and my neighbors were chain smokers and the smoke my its way into our cabin. Duct tape to the rescue, sealed the seams of the door and no more problems.

This would not be an issue on any RC ship, as smoking is not permitted in any cabin.

I have had sound issues in connecting cabins on Oasis/Allure.

When I used to travel a lot on business, I would sometimes wind up in connecting rooms at hotels with people who were "less than considerate of their neighbors". I learned quickly that there are 2 doors between adjoining rooms (on land and I assume, on cruise ships). This is because in order to enter either room from the other, both parties have to consent. I asked for extra blankets from the front desk and opened the one door from my side and 'padded' the area between the two doors.

If you do have noisy neighbors, this may not solve the problem completely, but if there is enough space to stick blankets, pillows or towels between the connecting doors, it will DEFINITELY muffle or deaden the noises from the other room. The people on the other side CAN open their door and remove what you put in there, but it is unlikely that they will even know that you have done it. Granted, I have never tried it in a connecting room on a cruise ship, but I assume it would be similar to a hotel.

We usually get connecting cabins with our kids. The door is only a single door, so your blanket idea won't work, although it might help to line the gap along the floor with a blanket.

BTW When the door was closed, we could still hear each other.

I have stayed in a connecting Central Park balcony stateroom on the Allure. It wasn't our ideal choice. But, we really wanted a Central Park balcony cabin and there are only a limited number of cabins that have the pullout couch to accomodate a third person. So, we ended up in a cabin with a connecting the door. The connecting door is across from the bathroom door in your cabin. So, as others have noted, if you happen to be in or near your bathroom, you will hear muffled conversations, toilet flushing, something like that coming from the other side from time to time. Now, if they are living it up over there and being noisy, then you will probably hear some noise from your bed or couch. Since we use a white noise app on my iPhone when we sleep anyway to drown out any potential noise from the hallway, it really wasn't that much of an issue during the cruise. But, had we not had the white noise, we might have had a restless night or two. It is really all dependent on how considerate your neighbors are when it comes to ambient noise, with or without a connecting stateroom.

We usually get connecting cabins with our kids. The door is only a single door, so your blanket idea won't work, although it might help to line the gap along the floor with a blanket.

BTW When the door was closed, we could still hear each other.

Well, that stinks... I thought maybe that old trick might work on cruise ships. So much for assuming anything... you know what they say about when you ASSUME something. LOL! :)

Archived