Carry on luggage...

Veneerdds

We cruise in 22 days and I have already started packing, but then again I have to pack for myself and DH as well :) I pack early so I know if Im missing something that I need to run out and get so Im not stuck paying $12 for a bottle of ibuprofen on the ship again lol. Im one of those overpackers, not a good thing to take so much, but on the other hand, I pretty much have just about everything if I (or anyone else with us) needs it.

We each carry on a 12-pk of water/soda, bathing suits and just our needed documentation. Everything else can wait.

I always put at least one change of clothes in our carry-on, all medications and insulin supplies (my dad is a diabetic), cruise documents, passports, and our pop.

I always start packing about a month before we leave. I make a packing list prior to packing to ensure that I don't miss anything

I would advise you to carry on anything you **really** need on the cruise and also anything of real value (ID's, any electronics/cameras, jewelry, phones, money, credit cards, medicines, swim wear, some clothes/shoes, excursion tickets pre-purchased, etc) . As a first time cruiser, I did not realize that "luggage will be delivered to your room...." meant that you luggage would be delivered to a hallway and sit outside for anyone to walk up and take and they do not put it inside your cabin. THAT was a shocker for me! Also, if they lose a piece of your luggage, all they pay is $50. Period. $50! That won't even cover the cost of the suitcase alone without counting any clothing, shoes, misc in it. NOT cool! Next time I will for sure carry on more things and check less. Our cabin was ready very early and we were able to drop off our carry ons in our cabin early. Our checked baggage was much later. Carry on was no big deal...we headed for the Lido buffet around 11:00 am on deport day and picked a table with a beautiful view and enjoyed a nice meal before the ship pulled out. By the time we finished our meal, walked the Lido and a bit of the ship our room was ready to have things dropped in it (maybe 1:00?). So don't check anything of value if you can help it. :)

Would mike to hear what you put in your carry on and how soon before your cruise do you start packing ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

lighten up new cruiser, no one is going to steal or pilfer your baggage, a non issue.

pack one full change of clothes in your carry on, especially if you are sailing in the winter and you are dressed warm, bring shorts and a t shirt. We left one trip out of Miami, got our bags 2 days later in Cozumel.

We will have one rolling carry-on that will have 10-12 bottles of water, 2 bottles of wine, 6 sm cans of pineapple juice and whatever else I need to stuff in there to pack it tight. I usually don't carry a purse while traveling but use a backpack. It will have prescription meds, passport, cruise documents, Kindle, camera, chargers, etc. This backpack happens to have wheels so I can just pull it behind me.

I start laying out clothes at about 30 days. Prior to that, I keep an open suitcase on my spare bed and throw stuff in it when I think about it. Like suntan lotion, aloe for sunburns, that kind of stuff. That doesn't mean I'll take everything I put in there, but at least I'm less likely to forget something important.

We usually have 1 lg suitcase for clothes, a smaller one with shoes, lotions, etc., one with drinks etc and my backpack for 2 of us.

Would mike to hear what you put in your carry on and how soon before your cruise do you start packing ?

I cruise in 39 days and my carryons have been packed for about two weeks now. In one is 12 pk of diet pepsi and 12 pk club soda. My bag of over the counter meds and anything we could possibly need while cruising (bee sting stuff, cortaid, neosporin, eye patches, bandaids, chewable pepto bismol, bonine, tylenol, advil, sinus meds, ginger tablets, vitamins, etc., etc.). Also in that carryon bag is suntan lotion (variety of spf's) and some of my shoes.

In the other carryon are all toiletries and makeup, gingersnaps, plastic cups, all documents and cruise notebook and passports, my wristlet with ID, money, etc., flat iron, portable hair dryer, more shoes and all my bras that I don't want smashed, and a bag of "in case" stuff that goes on all trips--(static guard, pins, earplugs, throwaway raincoats, Off wipes, lysol wipes, charmin wipes, invisible tape for clothes, duct tape, clothespin, doorstop, flashlight, travel alarm clock, etc. etc. etc. ). Also in this bag are our waterproof pouches, phone charger, portable makeup bag, brushes and round brush, binoculars, sunhat and sunglasses and all my jewelry.

I never put a change of clothes in my carryons. We usually drive to ports and dress for the weather and the afternoon in the sun onboard. The last five or six cruises, we always hauled wine with us and never drank it--I'm considering not bringing it this time. But that is usually in the carryon, too. Yikes!

In my carryon...

meds, camera, docs, swimsuit, change of clothes for 2 days(i fly so you never know if your luggage will make it), and 4 days worth of undewear. This more so due to me flying to ports. Just in case my luggage doesn't make it it won't "kill" my cruise. I just won't be eating in the mdr.

i'm weird i love the idea of preparing for a vacation so i pack, repack, and re-re-pack..and then the night before re-re-re-pack:D Why, you may ask? Just because LOL:eek::D:p

In my carryon...

meds, camera, docs, swimsuit, change of clothes for 2 days(i fly so you never know if your luggage will make it), and 4 days worth of undewear. This more so due to me flying to ports. Just in case my luggage doesn't make it it won't "kill" my cruise. I just won't be eating in the mdr.

i'm weird i love the idea of preparing for a vacation so i pack, repack, and re-re-pack..and then the night before re-re-re-pack:D Why, you may ask? Just because LOL:eek::D:p

Krystal, that's what I do, too. Pack, repack, and re-repack. And then a final re-re-re-repack. Love it! it's part of my cruise tradition now. I love going into my "cruise room" to check on things and maybe edit some stuff out or add some stuff in. I think that's where I'll go this afternoon. Just because. lol Kari

I take one rolling suitcase on with us. In it is my small room fan, A zipped bag with all our medications and toiletries. Our 2 bottles of wine, soda, insulated mugs, few pairs of our shoes, and whatever else I can fit in. It's medium sized. By taking my fan in a carry on if they question it, I have the page printed that says as long as it is not a fire hazard, it's ok.

We travel in carry-on only - 1 bag & back pack each. Unlike Coevan - I would NEVER check anything of value - not worth the hassle & risk. If you do check keep all valuables, meds, and travel info in carry-on.

I used to staer packing about 4 days in advance - but now with living in the MH there really isn't a lot of room to lay things out in advance - so I'l probably start about 2 days before.

I keep a lot of my travel stuff permanently packed so I mostly just have to check that everything is there. Fortunately clothes are pretty easy for me to pick out - an hour - tops to pull that together.

We put anything we can't live without in the carry-on, meds, bathroom kits, camera, valuables, plus wine, sometimes extra clothes. We also split our clothes between our other 2 checked suitcases, just in case one gets lost, at least we'll each have half of our clothes! We sail on Sunday, travel to Long Beach on Saturday, and we will pack on Friday.

We cruise with one carry on and a personal bag only! We also have one drink bag that flys for $25 has, 3 bottles of wine(3 adults) soda and water, our sunscreen and aloe, special shampoo that I can not carry on to plane. We place my husbands suitcase in that suitcase on the way home. No need to pay $25 to fly it home it becomes a carry on. When we enter the ship all bags go to the porter except... booze suitcase and one personal bag. It carries-cash, meds, camera, dvd player(yes a dvd player for airplane and cabin) , bathingsuit, flip flops, a change of clothes for all 3 of us. Remember most ports have a KMart or store close by. We rebuy soda and water in port around day 3 so we carry less onto ship at the beginning of cruise. We carry on to ship only what we can not live without or has value( rings ect.). You can always buy what you need in port or on the ship. We also pack our snorkle gear into our carry on bags. Pack less if you can.

Now if I did not have to fly....... I would pack different shoes for everything I wear, different necklaces, sneakers, different sweaters ect. We reuse our clothes( sweaters, shoes, less makeup ect ) to keep the bags less.

Relax and enjoy--we cruise next weekend!!!!!!!

I either wear my bathing suit under my clothes or pack it in my carry on with a coverup. Then you can enjoy the pool before your luggage arrives at your cabin. There is a restroom right by the pool to change. Carry on anything that you can't do without for a few hours since your luggage may be a few hours getting to your cabin.

I try not to pack too early because I forget what I put in the suitcase then have to start all over. ;-) I do get the suitcase out early though and start laying stuff around it.

Happy cruising!

Okay I am going to be probably the only one that does this.. :o

I pack the day I leave. Unless I'm leaving at 4 in the morning or something, and then I pack the night before.

We carry on one small bag for the 5 of us, and I have my purse. The three kids are grown but two of them are 21 and haven't rediscovered their common sense yet, so I have their passports in my purse, as well as any meds. Electronics are in the bag. No changes of clothes.

Okay I am going to be probably the only one that does this.. :o

I pack the day I leave. Unless I'm leaving at 4 in the morning or something, and then I pack the night before.

No - you're not the only one. We have been in the situation of the suitcases still being in the attic an hour before we are supposed to leave the house. We know what we're taking so it doesn't take long to pack.

Carry on luggage contains all meds, all electronics, all jewelry, all documents, toiletries, two bottles of champagne, a change of clothes each and our always present traveling companions (Max, Aurthur, Pinkie and Plato).

Seriously, Coevan? Or are you joking? Lighten up for telling the facts? I'm thrilled for you that you live in a world or on an island where NOBODY takes things that don't belong to them, but in the world I live in, it does happen. And often. And on my cruise it happened. And the comedian on our cruise was SO funny and he joked many times that tonight (last night on the ship) was the night that all of us need to go and pack all of our goodies and collectibles so that he and his brothers could go hallway shopping. SO funny but could be so true. Needless to say, we carried off our luggage on our own and didn't take the chance at losing everything we bought along the trip plus our own things. I only spoke the truth, so no need to jump on me if you were for real. Do you want to sell a suitcase along with all your worldy goods you packed lovingly for your cruise plus all the things you bought along the way to take home for $50? I think not.

lighten up new cruiser, no one is going to steal or pilfer your baggage, a non issue.

pack one full change of clothes in your carry on, especially if you are sailing in the winter and you are dressed warm, bring shorts and a t shirt. We left one trip out of Miami, got our bags 2 days later in Cozumel.

I pack a few outfits, undergarments, electronics (camera, Ipod & Ipad), chargers for the electronics, shoes, reading material and toiletries...just the items I'll need in case my suitcase gets lost. I usually start packing a week before the cruise.

We carry things we will need, such as our meds, makeup (eek) We also carry anything of value, cameras, stuff like that.

I also carry my jewelry. Most of it is not very valuable, but I would really miss it.

We usually drive to the port so we don't pack extra clothes, or wear our bathing suits. We also cruise in Oct., so it's not really swimsuit weather.

Archived