Another RC Visa card points question...sorry!

royal girl

Thanks to all those who replied to my last question.

Today I went on the RC Visa website and used 50,000 points towards $500 off my next cruise (as payment).

It didn't ask me for my cruise confirmation number. Only my name, address, contact info and what ship and when. Then it just said I would get a confirmation email, which I did and all it was was the info I put in. But nothing about how to get the $500 credit or if/when it will be applied to my cruise. And it minused my points already!

Does that sound right? :rolleyes: I used the link right off the RC website.

Today I went on the RC Visa website and used 50,000 points towards $500 off my next cruise (as payment).

It didn't ask me for my cruise confirmation number. Only my name, address, contact info and what ship and when. Then it just said I would get a confirmation email, which I did and all it was was the info I put in. But nothing about how to get the $500 credit or if/when it will be applied to my cruise. And it minused my points already!

I used points to get an OBC and I got the same email confirmation as the one you got. I called RCI a few days after and asked them to check to see if the OBC was applied and they told me that it was. You can call in a few days and ask them to confirm your credit also. I know I felt better after I had it confirmed over the phone.

You can call the Royal Rewards Department at 1-888-305-4626 with any questions. Have your booking number handy.

I thought it was odd as well that they don't ask for a booking number. What if someone had mulitple bookings? :confused:

I think there is a field to add a note to the request and I always include my booking number there.

When redeeming points, there is a comments box where you can enter your booking number.

When I redeemed points for two $50 on board credits, it asked me sail date and ship name. When I got my confirmation, it said same thing. The part I don't like is that you actually have to call RCI to see if the OBC has shown up on your reservation. They should figure out way for this stuff to show up on your on-line reservation in the my cruises section.

I redeemed my points over a week ago and they still weren't credited. My service rep said they are about 2 weeks behind.

I bit of advice I learned here at Cruise Critic is that whenever you apply for an OBC or a credit to be applied towards cruise payment is to place your booking number in the Comment Section. That way you know that your well-earned RCL Visa Rewards Points will go to the right place.

I just called 24 days after I redeemed my points. Like above posting, 1-888-305-4626 is the number.

They said it was "received" but not yet processed. I wrote down the 'transaction' number with a note to self to follow up in a couple of weeks. ( Countdown to cruise right now = 40 days )

If you are like me and like everything in absolute order before I walk out the front door...

-Redeem these points sooner rather than later.

-Follow up with a phone call and be prepared to give CC number, Cruise Reservation #, the date of points redemption, and then write down any transaction # (s) they have on record.

I'm not too worried about it at this point, but I am glad I didn't wait to redeem them too close to sailing.

OK, thought I would post my experience.

Booked Liberty last week beginning of the week. The next day I went into the redemption site and requested to use 100,000 points for $1000 off the total price of the cruise. Since I was already past final payment date, I had made the total payment and it had been charged to my credit card.

Sent my confirmation email on to my TA, who said she had to process the credit. Today I show the credit back on my credit card.

All very easy!! However, I do have one question (which is not even worth a phone call to royal) My credit on my card shows a credit of $996. Strange, does Royal have a "service fee" or something like that for processing. Not worried about the $4, just curious if anyone else has had this?

Ok, just off the phone with royal. It is NOT a royal charge. They couldn't explain what is was, but they are assuming that my TA adjusted it because her commission was adjusted. Well I ended up with $50 OBC but will not use a TA again. Never had before and don't know why I got suckered in this time!!

Ok, now I wait to see if the TA emails back with a explanation

Ok, just off the phone with royal. It is NOT a royal charge. They couldn't explain what is was, but they are assuming that my TA adjusted it because her commission was adjusted. Well I ended up with $50 OBC but will not use a TA again. Never had before and don't know why I got suckered in this time!!

Ok, now I wait to see if the TA emails back with a explanation

My first thought was that it was your TA. But I misread your original post and thought you applied the points for OBC and couldn't see why your TA would deduct for that. Since you used it for a cruise discount I can see why a TA with charge for it. I don't agree with it since you made them aware ahead of time and they didn't tell they would deduct.

At least RCI stepped up for you. Hopefully your TA will make it right. :)

My first thought was that it was your TA. But I misread your original post and thought you applied the points for OBC and couldn't see why your TA would deduct for that. Since you used it for a cruise discount I can see why a TA with charge for it. I don't agree with it since you made them aware ahead of time and they didn't tell they would deduct.

At least RCI stepped up for you. Hopefully your TA will make it right. :)

Yes,as you, I can see where they may have adjusted it. However it still wasn't right for her not to tell me ahead of time. Again. I don't care about the $4 but I can also say I won't be using a TA again. Why oh why didn't I listen to these boards!!!

Yes,as you, I can see where they may have adjusted it. However it still wasn't right for her not to tell me ahead of time. Again. I don't care about the $4 but I can also say I won't be using a TA again. Why oh why didn't I listen to these boards!!!

It's not so much the amount of money but a trust issue. I, personally, don't use TAs but some swear by them and one of the reasons is to have an advocate on your side if something goes wrong. If she does something like this for $4, what would happen if you needed her?

Just yesterday I applied 50,000 points through the RCCL website toward my 3-night Caribbean cruise. I too thought it was odd that the booking number wasn't requested, but the ship name and sail date were requested. I'm curious to see how long it takes for the points to be credited to my balance due.

Had a nice chat with a rewards points customer service person yesterday, as I was worried about my two $50 OBC's showing up. She told me they process OBC's according to impending sail dates. As the redemptions come in they are added to a report, and the application to your cruise is done according to when you sail. So they take care of the ones on closer sailing dates and then process the ones that are later after that. She said it could be that I won't see the credit until 2 or 3 weeks before my sailing, but if I got the email confirmation, then not to worry. She said to call 2 weeks out, and if nothing by then, to start asking questions.

They process the discounts more quickly, because those are related to your final payment dates.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Quick Question. We booked through a Travel Agent and sail in 22 days....My dad went online today to redeem for OBC's (first time). Does he also need to provide this info. to the TA, or should it be on his onboard account without the extra step? I gave him the # listed in the thread to confirm next week. I thought it best to check with the experts here of whether he also needed to let the TA know or not.

Archived