NYC Experts HELP! Manhattan to JFK

SMerritt

I have been on the East Coast Departure threads....but need a quick reply and this area gets browsed more - please bear with me

I am starting to see East Coast departures can be a little more delay prone than MIA & FLL - I am Somewhat an expert (lucky) catching early flights in florida, we were told that JFK was close to the port (don't ask the source) :confused:

Arriving back on NCL in Manhattan Sunday Morning Sept 29

Have an 11:10 A.M. Flight out of JFK

IF we are off the ship when the doors open, catch a cab...what are the odds of making the 11:10 flight??

Any hints? Positive thoughts? Lectures? ...... anyone wana make a buck or and drive us?:D

Thank you in advance,

Sheila (the blonde)

You really should have posted this on the East Coast Departures board. Did the same person who advised you that JFK was close to the port suggest you post it here instead? ;) MIA and FLL are much closer to their cities cruise ports than JFK is to Manhattan.

But I'll give you the same answer I would have if you posted it there.

First, September 29th is a Saturday. If your flight is on the 29th but you're arriving in NY on Sunday you have a real problem. Hopefully your flight is on the 30th.

Can you make your flight? Yes, if everything runs perfectly...the ship arrives on time, CBP doesn't take forever to clear it for disembarkation, you're doing self disembarkation and are first off the ship, you catch a taxi immediately or have another ride there to pick you up immediately, you don't hit heavy traffic on the way to the airport.

If there's even a small delay in any step of the process you run a real risk of missing your flight.

I'd never book a flight from JFK that early.

Hope things work out for you.

If you are taking a cab, traffic could totally screw you over in this scenario. I recently met a friend at JFK(I live in Jersey), and given the traffic situation that morning, it was faster to take a train to the subway to the airtrain(JFK's "shuttle" service) to meet her rather than drive in! If you are really adamant about doing it, I wouldn't necessarily count on traffic cooperating :(

Near impossible and that is the New Yorker in me. A cab from the piers to JFK can easily take an hour. Manhattan in a car on a weekend is a disaster.

Book a later flight if you can--rushing through JFK is enough to warrant another vacation.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for all of the above, and all on the OB.......what an eye opener and lesson - check Cruise Critic not hearsay

I just changed our flight - actually they added a 2:00 PM non-stop flight getting home 45 minutes earlier than the 11:00 AM blast off

It is going to be a pleasant change not to bolt down room service on the ship, haul luggage at warp speed, and do a dance in the customs lines and being at the mercy of a cab driver

We are only doing a simple 7 day to Bermuda, but I am now very excited about the trip, now that I do not have to spend the week mentally disembarking. :D

Glad you changed to 2:00 PM.

I always recommend a flight after 12:00 Noon when flying out of NYC.

Bermuda cruises are great. We've done a couple of them.

Are you flying in a day or more before the cruise rather than the day of the cruise?

Keith

Glad you changed to 2:00 PM.

I always recommend a flight after 12:00 Noon when flying out of NYC.

Bermuda cruises are great. We've done a couple of them.

Are you flying in a day or more before the cruise rather than the day of the cruise?

Keith

We are in central California, have the options of Sacramento, San Francisco, and Oakland and still have problems getting decent flights i.e. non-stop, departure times etc. We have a motorcycle business that is open 24/7 and extra days away cause chaos. So we worry the weather and do crazy things to make crazy flights.

This coming Saturday we are taking the red-eye in to JFK, landing at 5:00, cab to times square, check bags and simple breakfast at a hotel (any suggestions? thinking just the Marriott?), then cab to ship.

We do have plans to come see NYC for a longer stay and see the sights, the village idiot has been to upstate NY in the fall and says it is amazing!

Again, thank you for the info in the out of place threads and the positive comments on Bermuda - Actually looking forward to sea days and just one Island

We are in central California, have the options of Sacramento, San Francisco, and Oakland and still have problems getting decent flights i.e. non-stop, departure times etc. We have a motorcycle business that is open 24/7 and extra days away cause chaos. So we worry the weather and do crazy things to make crazy flights.

This coming Saturday we are taking the red-eye in to JFK, landing at 5:00, cab to times square, check bags and simple breakfast at a hotel (any suggestions? thinking just the Marriott?), then cab to ship.

We do have plans to come see NYC for a longer stay and see the sights, the village idiot has been to upstate NY in the fall and says it is amazing!

Again, thank you for the info in the out of place threads and the positive comments on Bermuda - Actually looking forward to sea days and just one Island

Are you staying at the Marriott Marquis? We discoverd that the hotels in that area are almost the same price last June. Another we liked was the Belevedere, just a few blocks away from Times Square on a quiet street.

For your trip into town from JFK, can I recommend Dial 7 Limo service? Either them or Carmel. You can book either a sedan or town car and the prices are reasonable and it is a lot more comfortable than a cab.

Thank you for this tip! Easy to book, nice people, and looks cheaper and easier than a cab.......

Leaving for SFO in an hour! (dam red-eye)

NY to Bermuda, first cruise with NO Island hopping! Sleep, beach, eat, sleep beach eat

The Marriott - Going for breakfast and a little "taste" of Times Square = Killing a little time before the fun begins!

Again, Patrick, thanks for 777 ;)

Archived