Shopping pre-cruise

blingbling

We are leaving next week for travel in Germany and Switzerland with a stopover in Iceland. The countdown begins...with packing attempts in earnest.

Avalon Visionary sails from Basel on 7 OCT 2012.

Made a stop at AAA Travel and bought the following:

PacSafe day pack in khaki: good locking zippers, non-slash mesh in fabric, RFID "chip" protection, water bottle expandable side pockets.

Hand scale for making sure luggage not overweight (especially coming back)

RFID his and her wallets (actually I bought a "his" for me too)

Woolite individual wash packets

Road map of Germany

Inflatable pillow (DH left his on plane last time)

What's on YOUR last minute shopping list?:confused:

Don't forget your Advil and Ambien for the long flight. I bring one of those small Pkg (baby isle at store) of wipes to carry in my purse and also get those little pkg of Kleenex to carry.... Both come in handy in the bathrooms in Europe as you never know what conditions you will find!!

And while I am not one of those crazy germ ladies - I now use Clorex wipes on plane tray table and arms and anywhere else.. Same in cabin on ship.

Anything to ward off getting sick while on vacation! (sandwich size zip lock bags work great for this).

And yes, I am horrified that I am now (I'll admit it) crazy!!

Enjoy you cruise, take rain gear, a small umbrella and layers. I operate on the theory that if you are prepared for the worst then you won't need it.

Shhhh this is a secret :)

We leave October 16th for a Rhone River Cruise with pre in Paris and post in Avignon & Nice. Just today I began gathering all my "crazies" for the trip!

Besides the above mentioned I bring...

2 travel coffee mugs from the dollar store - we both enjoy our early mornng coffee and I'm usually the one getting it! The mugs make it much easier than trying to balance cups! Then we leave them!!

plastic baggies right from my closet (just a few & different sizes) - comes in great for all those little things like shells from the Lido, pine cones from the Black Forest, cherries from the Munich market (ate them travelling in a rented car), and also not-completely-dry undies when you have to move from ship/hotel.

1 or 2 plastic hangers to use as "wash line" for the undies or shirts - I usually leave the hangers on the ship or hotel.

mosquito wipes - don't know if we'll need them in October.

pre-printed mailing labels for post cards.

plug adaptors for Europe and also extension cord and all chargers.

printed list of all meds (with Dr's #s) that DH takes - have it in my home wallet but use a different travel wallet on vacation - leave your collection of "cards" home - you won't need your library card in Europe!!

emergency name & address list - yes its in my phone but not sure the phone will always be charged or connected and I can't remember all my kid's #s with the area codes etc.!!!

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'd also suggest before leaving home you E-mail yourself web sites of places you're staying and/or confirmations received, etc. Even if you don't take a computer/ipad/iphone with you most ships have them as well as hotels or internet cafes and it would be possible to print anything that's been forgotten or lost.

We leave in 8 weeks so now I am making my packing/getting ready list.

I am another fan of towelettes and carry them with me whenever I travel. Also Ziplocs...don't leave home without them.

I load all of my confirmation documents, reservations, directions, research materials onto my ipad so I have everything handy.

I update all of my travel apps and make sure I have my Skype Credit loaded.

I load up my Kindle with library books for the flight.

I pack an extra pair of eyeglasses in case I break or lose my main pair.

We have our space bags ready to pack down jackets in case of cold.

We always bring more than one ATM card just in case. That is how we get cash along the way and I had my card eaten by an ATM machine in Europe years ago so learned to have a back up.

Still shopping for the single use Tide detergent/softener sheets to do laundry in Budapest at the hotel before we board.

We also carry two separate sets of Credit cards (ATM too) that way if heaven forbid one of us loses our wallet/purse we are still left with cards that are good and not cancelled! To be clear DH and I carry cards 2 each/4 seperate accts.

In addition to having copies of passports I also have scanned copies of all docs and other important info and e-mail to myself and keep in a folder stored in my acct.... Good Idea to have the phone # for international assistance w/last 4 of each CC - as after the card is gone you need to know who to call and report the missing card.

Safe travels!

In addition to the things others have mentioned, take binoculars!

Will you need a stretchy clothes line for hand washables?

As for the sturdy locks for your suitcase. I advise against putting any valuables inside checked baggage. People have access to your luggage and not everyone is honest. I don't even bother with locks anymore. Take a look at this video:

We leave October 16th for a Rhone River Cruise with pre in Paris and post in Avignon & Nice. Just today I began gathering all my "crazies" for the trip!

2 travel coffee mugs from the dollar store - we both enjoy our early mornng coffee and I'm usually the one getting it! The mugs make it much easier than trying to balance cups! Then we leave them!!

plastic baggies right from my closet (just a few & different sizes) - comes in great for all those little things like shells from the Lido, pine cones from the Black Forest, cherries from the Munich market (ate them travelling in a rented car), and also not-completely-dry undies when you have to move from ship/hotel.

1 or 2 plastic hangers to use as "wash line" for the undies or shirts - I usually leave the hangers on the ship or hotel.

printed list of all meds (with Dr's #s) that DH takes - have it in my home wallet but use a different travel wallet on vacation - leave your collection of "cards" home - you won't need your library card in Europe!!

emergency name & address list - yes its in my phone but not sure the phone will always be charged or connected and I can't remember all my kid's #s with the area codes etc.!!!

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'd also suggest before leaving home you E-mail yourself web sites of places you're staying and/or confirmations received, etc. Even if you don't take a computer/ipad/iphone with you most ships have them as well as hotels or internet cafes and it would be possible to print anything that's been forgotten or lost.

These are some of the best suggestions I have seen on the boards. I will refer to this list as I prepare for my Oct 20 Vantage trip to Eastern Europe.

Thank you for your wonderful list!

I've never thought of travel coffee mugs! Are these plastic or metal?

Also, I found out my "bargain" travel converter & adapter from Target says in small print on the bottom....not for computers or any electronics with LED or LCD...use for hairdryers and steamers. Well, I'm not taking a hair dryer or steamer, so back to AAA store to buy a converter/adapter kit so I can charge cell phone and Playbook.

So many good tips. Thanks.

I have my travel info on my Outlook Calendar, which I can access on my Blackberry Playbook, and I spoke to Global Support at Verizon to get my international data plan (just $21 for 3 weeks) activated. I'll be printing out paper copies this weekend.

I've been getting up a bit earlier each morning and going to bed slightly early at night, but I know I'll still have jetlag. Don't think I'll read or watch a movie on the flight since we leave at 8:40pm and arrive for our stopover in Iceland at 6:20am (will feel like 2:20 for us)! So, read to keep sunglasses on once we get there to not shock the body with light and make jetlag easier. Will be going 'hollywood' to try it.

Karen

We leave in 8 weeks so now I am making my packing/getting ready list.

I am another fan of towelettes and carry them with me whenever I travel. Also Ziplocs...don't leave home without them.

I load all of my confirmation documents, reservations, directions, research materials onto my ipad so I have everything handy.

I update all of my travel apps and make sure I have my Skype Credit loaded.

I load up my Kindle with library books for the flight.

I pack an extra pair of eyeglasses in case I break or lose my main pair.

We have our space bags ready to pack down jackets in case of cold.

We always bring more than one ATM card just in case. That is how we get cash along the way and I had my card eaten by an ATM machine in Europe years ago so learned to have a back up.

Still shopping for the single use Tide detergent/softener sheets to do laundry in Budapest at the hotel before we board.

I do have a tiny pair of binoculars, which I had not thought of. TYVM. And I will need to do clothes, but no time to order the line from Rick Steves, so I will need to look elsewhere as I will definitely need to wash clothes. Have a preliminary packing and will be finalizing it this weekend. Departing Tuesday night.

Karen

In addition to the things others have mentioned, take binoculars!

Will you need a stretchy clothes line for hand washables?

As for the sturdy locks for your suitcase. I advise against putting any valuables inside checked baggage. People have access to your luggage and not everyone is honest. I don't even bother with locks anymore. Take a look at this video:

Thank you! I sleep very well on planes, and especially night flights. I do need to pick up the wipes. Just got my flu shot this week, wish I had made the time to do it the week before, but oh well, maybe no one will be sickly on the flight! lol

Still need to pick up my wipes...no, you're not crazy!:D

Got the small umbrella, ponchos to go over any heavy clothing for rain protection.

Karen

Don't forget your Advil and Ambien for the long flight. I bring one of those small Pkg (baby isle at store) of wipes to carry in my purse and also get those little pkg of Kleenex to carry.... Both come in handy in the bathrooms in Europe as you never know what conditions you will find!!

And while I am not one of those crazy germ ladies - I now use Clorex wipes on plane tray table and arms and anywhere else.. Same in cabin on ship.

Anything to ward off getting sick while on vacation! (sandwich size zip lock bags work great for this).

And yes, I am horrified that I am now (I'll admit it) crazy!!

Enjoy you cruise, take rain gear, a small umbrella and layers. I operate on the theory that if you are prepared for the worst then you won't need it.

Shhhh this is a secret :)

Here's my go to list. Thanks for all the other great suggestions...looks like my list will need a revision! Obviously I always have to edit and buy small packs, or I could end up with a suitcase with just these items!

IMPORTANT ITEMSPassport, Travel documents, reservation confirmationsMedicinesMoney belt or neck walletFirst aid kitCONVENIENCE ITEMSclear plastic over the door shoe hanger for toiletriesbungee cord: wrap luggage handle to racks on trainhighlighter: to mark what you don't want to miss on daily activity sheetany kind of cabin door signage/decoration (optional)Plug adaptor AND currency converternight light; power strip if you have lots to plug incoil keychain for wristpost-it notesziploc bags for taking snacks ashoreDowney wrinkle release & Shout wipes or Tide penRefillable water bottleBubble wrapDuct or scotch TapeMags & Books/e-readeriPod/cables/power/headphones for planeUmbrellasCorkscrewFlip flopsFlashlightsMexican Train, Cribbage, Playing cardsportable clotheslineinflatable neck pillow for planeear plugsmini-sew kitsafety pinseyeglass repair kit

RealCajunLady ~ thanks for the compliment!

blingbling ~ Great list! I forgot to mention - and don't think I saw it on another list - sticky notes - medium size/small pack great for leaving notes in cabin or on door for room stewart or fellow friends!

I also bring a small package/amount of "fun tac" - blue sticky subdtance (CVS/Staples/etc) to use to attach door sign or calendar/lists/etc in your cabin. It's easy to use & remove and leave no trace - better then tape - used in schools all over.

As for wash - this is our first River Cruise so it'll be new for us! I found a balcony great for drying clothes - but there are no balconies on our ship - only a lare window!! But I am planning on drying in the bathroom - and using the ship's services for pants and heavier shirts. 18 days away means spending some $$ on wash!!!

Have a GREAT trip!!!

blingbling ~ coffee mugs - I buy plastic ones in the dollar store - and fill then with socks/underware in our luggage. I usually "throw" them out - actually give them to the room steward - when we leave - more room for souvenirs! They always come in handy on our big ship cruises - and the river cruise says they have coffee available 24/7 so I'm hoping that we'll use them this trip.

We've found that Europe is much more "green" than the USA - even the rest stops on the autobaun use "real" dishes/cups/etc. not the throw-away things. And I understand and appreciate that on the ships, however it's much easer to move around carrying 2 coffees in mugs!!!

To the person above who has the over the door organizer - you will not need on a river cruise. I found there was much more storage space in the room / bathroom and I did not need it. You can leave it out of the suitcase and allow more room for stuff to bring home.

Thanks! Will do...need all the suitcase space I can find. Love putting socks in the coffee mugs from the previous post too. ;)

To the person above who has the over the door organizer - you will not need on a river cruise. I found there was much more storage space in the room / bathroom and I did not need it. You can leave it out of the suitcase and allow more room for stuff to bring home.

I may have missed this, but be sure to call your credit card company to let them know you will be overseas. Also be sure to get a number to call them from overseas. (Even though I have notified them before twice, I have had charges declined and had to work that out.)

Large memory card for camera or an extra, the charger, and an extra battery

I try to balance being prepared with not overpacking, but here are some other things you may want to add:

compression stockings for the overnight flight

mini-sewing kit and a few safety pins

laundry bag

emery board and nail scissors

snacks for the airport/plane

neosporin and a few bandaids

I have all our important phone numbers on an Excel spreadsheet. This includes airline, riverboat, transfer or shuttle service, hotels, etc. I carry all our reservations in a packet in chronological order. I also have an address list on Excel which I would use for post cards if/when I sent them.

On the rivercruise we were usually in smaller safe towns, but in larger cities where pickpocketing is a known problem I have a Pouchsafe for my credit card and a copy of my passport, and I take a tote for purchases. I usually take a map,travel book, and disposable raincoat in it, and my husband takes a vest with pockets which is great for the camera and other items.

Two other hints:

Take a photo of your luggage tag as your first photo on your camera in case............

I always type our name, address, telephone numbers, air flight info, hotel name(s), addresses and tele # (if applicable) and river boat info on a piece of paper, print a couple copies and place it on top of my clothes in the suitcase in case our luggage is lost. I also cross pack our suitcases with a few items.

Sharon

I always take some flushable wet wipes with me. In many countries toilet paper is of very poor quality or non existent! Sometimes there isn't soap available for hand washing, so I also have purell. Often times you will find a squatty potty in place of a western style toilet, so be prepared for anything!:eek:

LHT28 ~ all ships will have cups/mugs by their 24/7 coffee machine but, for a early morning wake-up-cup, I found trying to balance 2 open cups/mugs in an elevator and long hall way not easy! Usually meant two trips! So we started bringing plastic travel coffee mugs. I suggestion I had read a few years ago and we found very useful - not for everyone!

Also, this will be our first river cruise and may find things different on a smaller ship!

H2Otstr ~ thanks for mentioning placing name and info inside luggage! I forgot to mention it but always do it! In 2010 my luggage was "delayed" for our Baltic trip - received it on day 5!!! I don't think it ever left JFK and I'll never know if the info on the inside helped but I always print out copies of info before we leave home for all of our transfers! Takes a few minutes but, in my opinion, worth it!!

You may be my long lost twin! :D

Everything you wrote is ditto for me.

I may have missed this, but be sure to call your credit card company to let them know you will be overseas. Also be sure to get a number to call them from overseas. (Even though I have notified them before twice, I have had charges declined and had to work that out.)

Large memory card for camera or an extra, the charger, and an extra battery

I try to balance being prepared with not overpacking, but here are some other things you may want to add:

compression stockings for the overnight flight

mini-sewing kit and a few safety pins

laundry bag

emery board and nail scissors

snacks for the airport/plane

neosporin and a few bandaids

I have all our important phone numbers on an Excel spreadsheet. This includes airline, riverboat, transfer or shuttle service, hotels, etc. I carry all our reservations in a packet in chronological order. I also have an address list on Excel which I would use for post cards if/when I sent them.

On the rivercruise we were usually in smaller safe towns, but in larger cities where pickpocketing is a known problem I have a Pouchsafe for my credit card and a copy of my passport, and I take a tote for purchases. I usually take a map,travel book, and disposable raincoat in it, and my husband takes a vest with pockets which is great for the camera and other items.

Archived