Why is this so hard?

kiraryker

Good question. I put a deposit down a couple weeks ago on NOS for 12/13 and am already contemplating cancelling and booking a different cruise. Been trying to research transportation, hotels, flights etc and the transportation seems to have very few options. I figured it would be like Port Canaveral that has several shuttle services as well as limo companies but Galveston doesnt seem to have near the options.

Is there no way the cruiseline transfers will work for you?

I booked accommodation with our cruiseline as well as the transfers, and it seems pretty reasonable for to/from plus hotel.

We are coming in the day before and staying at a hotel in Galveston. I don't think cruise lines offer transportation between airport and hotels the day prior to the cruise. Did you book some kind of package deal (cruise, hotel, transportation) to receive this transportation from the airport to hotel?

I don't think there is another port in the U.S. that presents the challenges to cruisers that Galveston does. It has some of the staunchest supporters of the port I've ever seen. Between difficulty with rental cars, hotels that are expensive or want two day minimums, transportation within the city or fog, I don't think there is another port that compares?

Yet it is so popular that they keep adding new ships? Having lived most of my life in the area I've never understood! We drive right on by and go to New Orleans about 5 hours extra.

I don't think there is another port in the U.S. that presents the challenges to cruisers that Galveston does. It has some of the staunchest supporters of the port I've ever seen. Between difficulty with rental cars, hotels that are expensive or want two day minimums, transportation within the city or fog, I don't think there is another port that compares?

Yet it is so popular that they keep adding new ships? Having lived most of my life in the area I've never understood! We drive right on by and go to New Orleans about 5 hours extra.

We definately should have did more research before we picked Galveston - but we just went with the ship and ports we wanted - now we know and boy is it a struggle!! And yes the 2 night min stay at most port side hotels? Crazy - we did book at the holiday in seawall they only required a 1 night stay - but we are still searching for our way to the hotel and then back to the airport when we return - what a hassle!

Galveston is popular because the vast majority of cruisers drive to the port. Since you live in Texas and drive, why wouldn't you cruise from Galvston rather than drive all the way to NO?

Try Country Inn and Suites. I believe they have airport transportation available, and I know they have a cruise shuttle. They are also very close to the Pleasure Pier. Maybe use the cruise ship transfer back to the airport when you return?

The two hotels near the port are high priced. The two night minimum will go away about a month out, but that can be a risky wait.

Galveston is popular because the vast majority of cruisers drive to the port. Since you live in Texas and drive, why wouldn't you cruise from Galvston rather than drive all the way to NO?

Because of the reasons I posted above!!! It's only 5 hours to NO and all the positive things NO offers. And the majority of cruisers out of Galveston are not from Texas. Read all the post's from travelers dealing with the hassle of a Galveston cruise. The OP for this post is a case in point.

The fact that I'm an East Texas and Houston local I know the pro's and con's of Galveston and that makes the NO choice a no brainer. Rather give NO my money and support cruising from there than to throw my dollars at Galveston.

Try Country Inn and Suites. I believe they have airport transportation available, and I know they have a cruise shuttle. They are also very close to the Pleasure Pier. Maybe use the cruise ship transfer back to the airport when you return?

The two hotels near the port are high priced. The two night minimum will go away about a month out, but that can be a risky wait.

A HUGE THANK YOU! :D

I was planning on staying at Country Inn & Suites anyway because I have always been happy with their accommodations. Never thought to check if they had shuttle service. Even though the cruise I booked is over a year away I called today and their shuttle service from Hobby is only $85 for 2 people which is cheap. Am planning on booking the ride back to Hobby post cruise through Royal Caribbean when the excursions open up.

Thank you again - I love these boards!

A HUGE THANK YOU! :D

I was planning on staying at Country Inn & Suites anyway because I have always been happy with their accommodations. Never thought to check if they had shuttle service. Even though the cruise I booked is over a year away I called today and their shuttle service from Hobby is only $85 for 2 people which is cheap. Am planning on booking the ride back to Hobby post cruise through Royal Caribbean when the excursions open up.

Thank you again - I love these boards!

Glad to help! Also glad to know for sure about the Hobby shuttle service. I always drive, but you never know when I may have friends join us. I really think hotels should put more information about their shuttles on travel websites.

Because of the reasons I posted above!!! It's only 5 hours to NO and all the positive things NO offers. And the majority of cruisers out of Galveston are not from Texas. Read all the post's from travelers dealing with the hassle of a Galveston cruise. The OP for this post is a case in point.

The fact that I'm an East Texas and Houston local I know the pro's and con's of Galveston and that makes the NO choice a no brainer. Rather give NO my money and support cruising from there than to throw my dollars at Galveston.

Avoiding a 5+ hr drive to NOLA over the worst stretch of interstate in the south is a no brainer.

I was wondering why other posters don't book the hotel transfer package with the cruise lines? Is that because there are better deals to be had by booking independently? Thank you.[/quote

My reasons for booking independently have nothing to do with cost. I have no idea whether booking everything through the cruise line would be cheaper or not as I have never looked into it.

Not only am I extremely picky about where I stay but admit that I am somewhat of a 'control freak' when it comes to my vacation. I don't like to leave anything to chance which is why I dont book guarantee cabins or use the cruise line packages for airlines or hotels. I like to make my own choices.

Have seen numerous posts throughout the years from people who booked through the cruise line and are unhappy with their flight schedules and such. I like to choose flights that will be convenient for me and hotels that I am familiar with.

Avoiding a 5+ hr drive to NOLA over the worst stretch of interstate in the south is a no brainer.

Yeah I know, I have to slow down to about 70-75 because of the road??? Only when crossing the Basin do we slow down, to many cops! Easy drive and a lot more tourist friendly city at the end of the drive.

You are giving me second thoughts about cruising out of Galveston. Is it really that bad? Is the fog often an issue? There were 2 cruises I was contemplating and am now wondering if I should switch to the other cruise.

we have cruised out of Galveston severl times years ago and never had a problem with fog?

As far as transportation Super Shuttle has a $110 exclusive rate (we (the 4 of us) are the only ones on the vehicle) one way from HOU/Galveston and takes us right to our hotel. Can't beat the convenience and you don't have to wait for the van to fill, nor drive around picking up/or dropping off other passengers..

We prefer not to use the cruise line transfers because 1) we fly in a day early, and 2) if we did fly in on cruise day, we don't like to be in that cattle call when 5 Princess busses show up at the pier all at once :eek:

My reasons for booking independently have nothing to do with cost. I have no idea whether booking everything through the cruise line would be cheaper or not as I have never looked into it.

Not only am I extremely picky about where I stay but admit that I am somewhat of a 'control freak' when it comes to my vacation. I don't like to leave anything to chance which is why I dont book guarantee cabins or use the cruise line packages for airlines or hotels. I like to make my own choices.

Have seen numerous posts throughout the years from people who booked through the cruise line and are unhappy with their flight schedules and such. I like to choose flights that will be convenient for me and hotels that I am familiar with.

Thanks Loves_Dogs, appreciate your response. I agree with you about the flights; I don't want anyone deciding when I'll come and go - and to satisfy my control urges re hotels I totally research the cruise line options, and if its one I would consider then I figure why not? For Galveston I've never been before, and the Hotel Galvez sounded interesting so I went for it, and that solved out transfer and hotel precruise issues (hopefully!).

Thanks Loves_Dogs, appreciate your response. I agree with you about the flights; I don't want anyone deciding when I'll come and go - and to satisfy my control urges re hotels I totally research the cruise line options, and if its one I would consider then I figure why not? For Galveston I've never been before, and the Hotel Galvez sounded interesting so I went for it, and that solved out transfer and hotel precruise issues (hopefully!).

You should love it.

Galvez is good choice and like a large old European Hotel in Spain.

My parents honeymooned there.

BTW It has been updated!

You are giving me second thoughts about cruising out of Galveston. Is it really that bad? Is the fog often an issue? There were 2 cruises I was contemplating and am now wondering if I should switch to the other cruise.

No, it is a great port. I've cruised from there five times and from the comments this guy is posting, he has never cruised from there at all. There are lots of things to do on the island the day before your cruise, and the port runs pretty well from my experience. Fog happens in February and March. It usually just causes delays. One year there was fog for a couple of days, and since then, everyone panics about fog.

Archived