Scared of Dunn River Falls

I'm not scared of the hike on the falls. I'm scared of the vendors before and after. I have read where they will push you and grab you as well as try and corner you to buy something. I read if you say no they will spit on you and they try to split couples up. I read they will put items on you and accuse you of stealing if you don't buy!! Now I have been on several cruises and we know the locals can be pushy to sell their stuff but what I'm reading about Dunn River Falls is way overboard and makes me not even want to go now!!! Anyone been there recently that can share their experience? Are these things true? I'm going on the RCL excursion that includes Grotto Caves and the Falls! Any info would be great, thanks!:eek:

I have been to the Falls one time. We booked independently through Mark Morris. He advised about avoiding vendors. Polite "nos" were all that was really necessary. I, as a female, never felt unsafe and was not accosted. My husband was offered a bead necklace when a vendor placed it around his neck. When he inquired of whether it was free, the vendor asked for a donation. Husband declined and handed the necklace back.

We also, as a group of probably 12 climbers, chose not to follow a guide and just made our way through the falls as a group, helping each other as needed and generally having a tremendous amount of fun.

I will say I heard from someone in our group that during the Ochos Rios shopping portion of the trip, she went past the gates to the shops out to the public street and did find vendors more aggressive. Not a safety issue, but, let's just say, very motivated to make a sale.

My wife and I did the falls on the Oasis of the Seas cruise this past May and we did not enjoy because they whole time we were petrified of slipping and cracking our head open on a rock. We are both in pretty good shape but the rocks are very slippery even with water shoes and in most cases you cannot even see under water where you are stepping. Several times I missed a step and banged my leg pretty hard on a rock. They also make you hold hands with the person in front and in back of you which made it harder to keep your balance. As far as the vendors the guide on the bus did a pretty good job of prepping us " Do not make eye contact or tell them your name" "Don't accept any gifts even if they will tell you it is free". If you walk fast and ignore them you should be ok although they may say some things that will make you feel uncomfortable ( The vendors kept saying to us "Why won't you look at us- Are you afraid of black people?" etc)

Some people love it and the falls are beautiful but in my opinion it is not very safe and not worth the risk of possibly being seriously injured on your vacation

The only time I had a minor issue at Dunns falls was when I went to the restroom (which by the way were very clean, and kept nice), I had to walk by the vendors both ways.

They were pushy.

Trying to put necklaces on you.

Loudly asking us to buy something.

And when you walked away, (quickly) they taunted you.

They did not attempt to grab us.

Mostly verbal attention getting.

Was with DH and DD as well as 5 other people on our bus, and we just kept walking.

Go enjoy the falls, you will be ok.

Put it on your bucket list.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Our guide Trevor Hudlin did a great job on this tour. The only place we encountered vendors was after the falls where you exited and as a previous poster said, just walk fast and do not even look interested or accept anything "free". A nice no thank you worked well for us as we just kept walking. Hopefully thins have not changed like one poster said.

We were with some older folks like myself - ha and walked along the pathways - did not actually climb the Falls. They had great viewing platforms and we enjoyed just people watching. I did not see any injuries when we were there, but I do know they said the rocks were slippery and I would recommend water shoes - which are available for rent there.

Archived