embarking from another port

timetravler

Is it possible to board a cruise ship from another port other then the one where it normally embarks from? I know a little about the jones act. But is it possible to do this by paying a fine or something?

The answer to your question may depend upon your cruise and the ports involved. For a cruise later this year sailing from Venice to Galveston one couple is embarking in Rome instead and some are getting off in Fort Lauderdale instead of Galveston. They have notified Princess and made arrangements to make this possible however depending upon the itinerary this may not always be an option.

There're so many variables and even if it is possible you'll have to contact Princess so I'd recommend contacting them now to get an accurate answer to your question. From what I've read it has to be prearranged and you can't just pick up your luggage and leave the ship.

We have a cruise next month that starts in QC and ends in Ft. Lauderdale with a stop in Charleston. We live near Charleston and contacted Princess regarding getting off the ship. Were told it was not up to them but the Charleston port authorities and we would need to make a formal request in writing to Princess which they would then contact Charleston - could take a couple of weeks or longer. We decided to skip it, wanted to make flight arrangements and of course could not until this was resolved.

On a Pacific Coast Cruise, we wanted to get on in Santa Barbara, which was very close to us, instead of way down in San Pedro.

We were told we could not because there was no port agent in Santa Barbara.

I guess the answer is-it depends on a number of variables.

BTW' date=' it's not the Jones Act (cabotage), but the PVSA (passengers).[/quote']

Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two points in the same country by a vessel or an aircraft registered in another country so the Jones Act regulates goods or the freight sector while the PVSA controls passengers as you mentioned.

On a Pacific Coast Cruise, we wanted to get on in Santa Barbara, which was very close to us, instead of way down in San Pedro.

We were told we could not because there was no port agent in Santa Barbara.

I guess the answer is-it depends on a number of variables.

A lot depends on your embarkation and disembarkation ports. If the ship embarked in San Pedro and was disembarking there at the end of the cruise, and you wanted to disembark in Santa Barbara instead, that's a clear violation of the PVSA and you would not be permitted to do so. That's why you didn't receive permission.

If you unintentionally violate the PVSA, such as missing the ship in a port, the ship will be fined and then charge each passenger the $300/per person fine. You cannot intentionally plan to violate the PVSA and say you'll just pay the fine. You'll be denied boarding. In a medical emergency, permission is requested and the fine waived.

Whether the port has the facility to process disembarking passengers applies when embarkation was in a non-US port. If both the embarkation and disembarkation ports are US ports, the PVSA applies.

Archived