Sunscreen

Calkacky

I need sunscreen advice from you pro cruisers. Obviously, I will want something with a pretty high SPF like 30+. Will I still tan with that on? Also, do you bring spray as well as the lotion kind and how many cans/bottles should I plan on for just myself? Oh, and do I need biodegradable sunscreen to swim with the dolphins? I'd like to get a good tan but I don't want my cruise ruined by a sunburn! Thanks in advance!

You're right...a sunburn will ruin your good time!

If you use the SPF 30 as recommended, you won't get much tan at all. Hoever, most folks don't use enough and still burn!

Here's the "how to"....1 full ounce (a shotglass full) for an adult...reapplied every 2 hours, or whenever you towel off! It may say "waterproof", but it's not towelproof!

I get some sun prior to getting on the ship, so I have a base, and I use 15 SPF frequently. I get some sun, but I've never gotten burned. Try to avoid the middle of the day as the Caribbean sun is MUCH stronger than your Texas variety....yeah...I said it! The further south you go, the more intense the sun's burning power!

Sorry...can't help with the biodegradable stuff....I thought that was to protect reefs, anyway!

It's indeed a good idea to get some sun before you want to tan, as you will tan more quickly and your skin is less prone to get damaged. If you can't get sun at home because of the lousy weather, do a couple of session under the solarium. Not the best way, but at least, your skin is some what prepared.

I need sunscreen advice from you pro cruisers. Obviously, I will want something with a pretty high SPF like 30+. Will I still tan with that on?

I think a lot depends on what type of skin you have. I get a great tan using sunscreen, and I load it on because I spend a lot of time in the water. I also always have a rash guard to put on in case I feel like I've gotten too much in one day. Some fair skinned people won't tan no matter what they do, they will just burn.

One time I was with a friend in St. Thomas at the beach for the day and she refused to put on sunscreen (she has a pool and had a nice tan). She didn't think she needed it. Well she got so burned that she was sick for the next 2 days, had to skip an excursion even. That caribbean sun is strong!!

The biodegradable sunscreen I have is called MexiTan and I got it online. I like to have both though because the biodegradable stuff is like chalk. :( It's not just for reefs, it's to protect all marine life.

While on the ship, I put sunscreen on every morning when I get dressed regardless of what I do the rest of the day. Reapply often if I'm outside. I burn easily but will, if I'm in the sun long enough, tan eventually even with SPF 30.

Remember to put sun screen on your feet and your underarms--two places are VERY uncomfortable to deal with if they burn.

And don't forget a hat.

I have to be careful in the sun, I am one of those people that burn before I tan.

This past summer in Labadee I got lobster red on my forehead using a SPF50:eek:

I was glad my daughter brought the Neutrogena SPF100. I applied it on my face, and yes I did peal:mad:.

After about 3 days of looking like a tomato, it toned down to a nice tan.

Be careful.

That Carribean sun is brutal.

Next summer, being very, very careful.

I have to have some pictures with nice color!!

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Same here. During our March cruise to the Caribbean, it wasn't even too hot, but my forehead got burned almost to the first degree while using SPF 50+ Next port, I directly went looking for a cap.

Rest of my body does tan (however very slow), but not with SPF 50+

So, I should use SPF 50+ (or even higher) for my head and shoulders and SPF 30+ for my arms and legs

I have to tell you i go through about 4 full spray cans of spf60 on a weeks all inclusive...and i still get a nice tan! :cool:

I can sit on the beach all day...just me and book, rumpunch and a few dips in the water...so I re-apply alot! That Carribean sun can be harsh...its probably way worse on the water :eek:

Maybe thats just me... but i had a wicked burn once and it ruined everything...i couldnt move i was in so much pain (fell asleep on a deck chair :rolleyes: )

Im loading up...thats my advice. :D

I myself am still trying to figure out if I should pack the sunscreen wipes for midday touch ups. Without question my daily base is going to be SPF 50 and I'm topping off with an SPF powder with a 50.

I'm at my deem every month for autoimmune injections. The amount of skin cancer cases in the waiting room scares me from the sun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Research shows that anything over 30 SPF is a waste of money....just keep applying the 30 SPF often! That's the mistake most make...either not putting enough on in the 1st place or not reapplying.

And don't forget the part in your hair, if you have one....man, that teensy strip of scalp can HURT if it gets burned!!!!

I have seen my share of really bad sunburns on cruise ships. :eek:

I use a sunblock (I have very sensitive skin) and still end up with a "tan" when I go on a cruise.

Once I missed putting sunblock on a small part of my leg and it got scorched (it was late Oct, Mexico).

Be very careful, as others have said you can get sick from a sunburn, complete with chills and vomiting. Not a nice way to spend a vacation.

Just some info for all of us "sunscreen" lovers out there: (many people have not been made aware of this yet, but I've been staying on top of it) Many people don't understand the SPF number and think that a higher SPF is better for you, when it actually is not. Here is a sample of what the changes will be later this year:

For years, the FDA has been in a holding pattern with regard to a variety of proposed regulation changes regarding how sunscreens are labeled and marketed in the United States. Last year, the FDA ruled on the changes. Some changes have gone into effect only with manufacturers; however beginning December 18, 2012, new rules will go into effect with regard to any product claiming sun protection of SPF 15 or higher.

Some changes are the claim "broad spectrum" which means that both UVA and UVB rays are blocked. If a product can prove broad-spectrum which is UVA protection at 370nm as well as UVB protection, it must be labeled as such on the front of the package along with the SPF value.

Gone are "waterproof" sunscreens. Instead, there are two categories: water-resistent and very water-resistent. If a sunscreen retains the labeled SPF value for 40 minutes of water immersion, it must be labeled "water resistant (40 minutes)." When a product can hold its SPF value for 80 minutes of water immersion, it must be labeled "water resistant (80 minutes)."

Most doctors and skin care professionals understand that SPF 30 protects against 95% of UVB rays. Any SPF higher than 30 only protects in small increments up to 99%. No sunscreen can provide 100% UV protection except 100% zinc oxide. Any product claiming SPF higher than 50, with the new labeling rules, can only claim "50+."

Manufacturers must back up all claims and any product that claims an SPF of greater than 15 must be registered with the FDA as a drug.

What does this mean to you? It means that you will know exactly what type of product you are purchasing. Remember, just because the SPF is "50+" does not mean you can stay in the sun 50 times longer. You still have to reapply sunscreen every two hours or after getting out of the water or sweating a lot. Water-resistant is not water-proof and according to the new rules, "waterproof" cannot be claimed for a sunscreen anymore.

It is worse in the water. Imagine this: I wasn't burned on my head, but I was wearing a shirt in the water (just didn't bother to undress; just jumped into the water) and the letters that were on my shirt, where readable on my body. So I burned even through my shirt :D

Okay, it was a rather thin shirt, but could walk in it all day ashore, but in the water, I burned within the hour.

As a family of SCUBA divers, we are always on water, in and out of water, in a boat, on a dock, etc and sunscreen isn't always practical for application. I'm thinking the same will hold true for water excursions like dolphin swimming.

I highly recommend SPF clothing (normal t-shirts like what the poster said above is a good lesson to be learned in that cotton will not protect you. Thanks for sharing that valuable lesson).

Here is a link to one company that offers a good range. It is so much easier to slip on the shirt, don a hat and hit the water. I have not used leg products, but can only assume same strategy applies.

http://www.solartex.com/

EVERYONE needs to be super careful. Skin cancer is no laughing matter and it can kill you. TAKE CARE!

"Pre-tanning" will not stop you from burning! You just may not look as red because you weren't as pale to begin with! It is still unhealthy. It still damages your skin.

OP, you're from Texas. Surely you have some pretty stong sun there. What do you do at home?

Just do a Google search for environmentally-friendly sunscreens. I use one (Burts Bees SPF 30) every time I know I'm going in the water, even if it isn't for an authorized excursion. Just seems like the sensible thing to do. It does not spread easily (because it isn't full of oil), so it takes some manual labor to apply. ;)

If I'm just going to be in the sun, I use Ocean Potion SPF 30 and reapply liberally and often.

My moisturizer is SPF 15 as is my foundation. If I'm not going to be wearing makeup, I use a high SPF sunscreen for faces. I also use SPF lip balm frequently. And wear a hat when I'm on the beach.

Hate the spray-on stuff. Also bring an aloe with lidocaine gel just in case, because I've still been know to miss areas or simply forget to reapply. :o

As ususal, I learn to much on these boards. I initially thought spray sunscreen was the way to go. Now, I'm not thinking so much. I think I'm gonna stick with the Neutrogena I use since it isn't oily. One things for sure, I'm gonna be using a lot of it!

I use Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 110 on my face before I put on my make up which totals at about SPF 150. On my body I use Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 100+, on my lips I use Blistex Five Star Lip Protection, SPF 30 and on my head I wear Sungrubbies.

As others have said ANY sort of tan is damage to your skin and can have dangerous results later in life. My father died of cancer when I was 18 and it started as skin cancer and I have already had two pre-pre cancerous moles removed and I'm only 33. And others have already mentioned staying away from the spray suncreens. Did you know you're inhaling aluminum every time you spray?

As for bug spray - I find that a travel sized can of "Off" or the clip one ones work fine. If you're going to areas with heavy bugs (wooded areas or a rainforest) I would recommend treating your clothes with Sawyer's before you leave home. Your clothing is protected for up to six washings.

Archived