Age and Cruising

Ashley44

I'm a single woman, just turned 50 and I want to go on a cruise around August/September. I generally get along best with people in their 40's/50's as I'm very young thinking and active. Can anyone recommend a good cruise for my demographics? What is the best source of that kind of info? Don't want to end up spending my vacation with people my children's age though.:confused:

Thanks,

Ash

There is no correct answer here. Although it appears that the longer the cruise the older the mix. You also need to think about. Quiet vs rowdy refined vs mass market. I would say the shorter the cruise the younger the crowd. Therefore 7 - 10 days on a mid range ship just might be the answer.

I am a 65 year old male took my first cruise on a 15 day repositioning cruise. Very few singles of any age and many senior seniors (My age may be 65 but I also enjoy a younger crowd by about ten to fifteen yearsHope this helps rather than further confuses.

Hi Ashley:) I have been cruising solo for 2 years now and I love it.

I am 47 and the majority of my cruises have been on Celebrity. It is a wonderful way to vacation that is for sure!

I prefer Celebrity, as I always feel pampered on their ships. No announcements either which is really nice.

They figure you can read your daily or if you need to find out when something is taking place you can ask guest services.

Some people say Celebrity is too laid back for them but I don't need to always "be doing" something. I love sitting at the pool bar with a good book, a drink and some nice conversation with the bartender.

I feel like the service and food on X are fabulous~and now I have to wait till October to sail them again:eek: how will I make it?;)

Anyway, I recommed X because I always love my cruises with them.

I'm 45 and like Princess a lot. You may want to look into Princess as one of your options as well. Do you have a destination in mind? IMHO, Carribean and Mexican Riviera cruises are generally livelier than the rest because there's so much to do.

Hi, I'm also a single female in my early fifties looking for a cruise this August. My first choice too was Adriatic/Eastern Med/Greek Isles, etc. but prices are quite high even before adding single supplement!! Now considering Western Med (Barcelona - Lisbon) 12 days with Oceania on the Insignia. This cruise (for some reason) is currently on offer heavily discounted and I'm seriously considering booking it. You may like to check it out with your favourite online cruise site or TA. Please feel free to email me if you'd like more details however prices I have to date are all ex-UK. jannefas@hotmail.com

Golden Star cruises have only one ship, the AgeanI and it's a very, very old ship, purchased from another cruise line. They only have 3 and 4 day cruises so unless you're going to be staying on longer, it's a little far and expensive to travel there for only a few days. This line markets primarily to Greeks and Italians and not much to North Ameicans, so unless you speak Greek, you might feel a little left out especially being single.

There are a lot more choices for the Greek Islands and I would highly recommend staying with a line that's marketed primarily in the US. Most of the mass market lines have one ship that will visit Greece. But, if you're looking for this summer, you better hurry because most European cruises for 2005 have been fully booked for months.

The trip that I'm looking at is 10 nights but only 3 of them are on the cruise ship...the rest are land stays that allow for in depth exploration of the islands. The outfit that is marketing it is a singles organization headquartered in the U.S. so while you may be correct about most of Golden Star's sailings, I think this one will have enough Americans and singles. I like a cosmopolitan atmosphere so the presence of a lot of Greeks and Italians would be a plus for me. The age of the ship does concern me a bit though...I like all the amenities and especially the stabilization on the newer ships. Many years ago before they started putting in the stabilization bars, I felt like a drunk for several days after we got back to land.

The whole stabilization thing could very well be a problem because I belive the Agean I was built in the early 1970's. Ships of that age tend to be more shakey, plus they don't have nearly the amenities of newer ships. There's also the question of cabin size and soundproofing. Those old ships just don't offer what the newer ships do.

Ashley, personnally I would use one or another singles cruise groups. That way you are not looking for other singles to interact with. As mentioned above the rowdy crowd of people our kids age are really not a problem on those European venues. Average ages on singles cruises, and even on the cheapo venues in the carribean and mexican riviera I have looked at were mid to late 40s with plenty of early 50s. A lot of people for one reason or another like "solo" cruising but when I have tried it without a singles group you spend a lot of time with families and couples which is not what I want to do since I am single and seem to spend my time with family groups and couples in my home town. John from NM

I've been having trouble finding a cruise that works with both my timing and my budget. Heresy I know but I'm leaning towards a (mostly) land tour in a third world country. I'm an adventurous sort and thinking this might be more interesting anyway.

Archived