Great NY Times Article re: smartphones in Europe

Unfortunately, there are a few facts missing from the article. When they talk about buying European SIM cards they fail to go into the nasty fact that European SIMS will not function in a locked phone! Just about all Smart Phones are locked phones since few folks want to spend the big bucks to get an unlocked phone or work through the hassles of getting their phone unlocked. The other important issue for Smart Phone users involves the data fuctions on their phone. Some folks will either forget or not understand about turning off the data functions on their phone. When in Europe these functions (such as automatically updating apps) can be working in the background and racking up thousands of dollars in roaming charges.

Hank

Thanks Hank. You're right. One must turn the settings to OFF for WiFi or you automatically updating Apps while traveling. Data charges are very high and can be a surprise when you get home. Fortunately cruise ships plans are stated clearly by the cruise line prior to sailing. It is the same rate verizon quoted me for international calling. Cheers!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, there are a few facts missing from the article. When they talk about buying European SIM cards they fail to go into the nasty fact that European SIMS will not function in a locked phone! Just about all Smart Phones are locked phones since few folks want to spend the big bucks to get an unlocked phone or work through the hassles of getting their phone unlocked. The other important issue for Smart Phone users involves the data fuctions on their phone. Some folks will either forget or not understand about turning off the data functions on their phone. When in Europe these functions (such as automatically updating apps) can be working in the background and racking up thousands of dollars in roaming charges.

Hank

Well, they do say that "If your phone is “unlocked,” meaning you can use other providers, get an international SIM card" but they don't get in to what you have to do to unlock it.

I'm amazed that anyone still doesn't know to turn off data roaming when they leave the country, though I certainly can imagine people would forget - I've forgotten briefly, but only for a couple of hours.

I'm amazed that anyone still doesn't know to turn off data roaming when they leave the country, though I certainly can imagine people would forget - I've forgotten briefly, but only for a couple of hours.

My daughter works for Verizon customer services, and she said every day she gets someone calling with a $500+ billing for data roaming they were unaware of before traveling. Many older cruisers don't know a lot about their smart phones before they leave the U.S. and get nailed. Unfortunately customer service can't do much when it charges are incurred abroad.

Actually, if you have a verizon data plan, they have a terrific "global traveler" data plan that can be pro rated for the number of days you will be abroad. Of course, you need to check and make sure it covers the country you are in, but it is very inexpensive.

Archived