Canada-New England highlights

If you search this board as well as the New England board for the ports you will visit, you will most likely find a ton of info and advice. It takes time to research and zero in on things of interest to you but you will end up with many, many answers to your question. Happy searching!

We are sailing Enchantment of the Seas Oct. 18. Just wondering what are the must sees or dos while on this cruise. Haven't ever been to this area before. Thanks.

If you are not a member of Trip Advisor it would be helpful to register. There are a number of similar posts.

Collected a few here for you

maryann-ns

Halifax...

reviews: 31

3. Re: I´m going to Halifax on a Cruise

31 August 2012, 16:22

Hello Turista:

Check these recent posts:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k56725…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154976-i327-k57207…

Also go here: http://www.**************.com/portguides.html

These forums may also be helpful

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k5672544-Indepedent_sightseeeing_at_Cruise_ship_ports-Nova_Scotia.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k5721915-I_m_going_to_Halifax_and_Saint_John_on_a_cruise-Nova_Scotia.html

Hope you find some good info if you have any other questions just come back and ask.

Just returned from this cruise. In Portland we did the discovery tours trolley and lighthouse combination tour. Both were great and the guides were excellent. In bar harbor we went to Acadia national park and booked a tour through the park service. This was also a great tour and a lot less expensive than the tours offered through the ship. We booked a private tour in Saint johns which we were disappointed in since they did not take us where we wanted to go. The Fundy Trail is about an hour north of Saint Johns and worth the trip, but I would recommend renting a car to do that. In Halifax we rented a car from Enterprise and drove up to Peggy's Cove and toured the titanic cemetery. When we cam back, we walked the boardwalk to the maritime museum which was very interesting.

The Enterprise car rental in Halifax is on Hollis St. When we got off the ship, we asked one of the tour guides to direct us there. It was a short, but uphill walk from the pier (10 minutes). When you reach Hollis, turn left towards the rail station and once you pass a big resort hotel (I forget the name) the car rental is inside the rail station. Ask them for directions, they were very helpful. We paid $47.99 (US) for an intermediate car. Look online for discount codes for Enterprise.

Just returned from this cruise. In Portland we did the discovery tours trolley and lighthouse combination tour. Both were great and the guides were excellent. In bar harbor we went to Acadia national park and booked a tour through the park service. This was also a great tour and a lot less expensive than the tours offered through the ship. We booked a private tour in Saint johns which we were disappointed in since they did not take us where we wanted to go. The Fundy Trail is about an hour north of Saint Johns and worth the trip, but I would recommend renting a car to do that. In Halifax we rented a car from Enterprise and drove up to Peggy's Cove and toured the titanic cemetery. When we cam back, we walked the boardwalk to the maritime museum which was very interesting.

Can you tell me which private tour you did in St.Johns? We are leaving on Friday and I have a private tour booked with Roys Tours and haven't heard anything but good about his trip. I'm hoping you weren't talking about him...Thanks

Our tour was with Roys Tours. I arranged with Roy for a tour of the Reversing Rapids, a short history of St. Johns and a drive up to St. Martins for 7 people. Roy was booked with another tour, so we got another guide. He was late picking us up, and was not an informative guide. He only answered our questions and never offered a history of the area during the hour drive up to St. Martins. Our short local tour of St. Johns turned into over 2 1/2 hours of him stopping at various local places that he had marked in a book. You really need to be very specific about where you want to go otherwise they go to the same places they take everyone to. When we finally left the area for St. Martins, it was after 12 which meant we did not have alot of time there. I certainly did not feel that this tour was a personalized one, since I believe he had a set route that he was going to stick to no matter where I told him we wanted to go. This appeared especially true when he stopped at a local tourist stop that served ice cream and there were 3 other private tours there. I hope this helps. I'm not suggesting you cancel but you really have to tell the guide exactly where you want to go and make sure he sticks to it. Our guide also got us very nervous in getting us back by 3:30. We only made it back in time because the ship had a problem with the checking passengers back in. If I could redo this port of call, I would rent a car from Avis (which is close to the dock) and drive up to St. Martins and along the Fundy Trail. It was a very easy drive up there.

Our tour was with Roys Tours. I arranged with Roy for a tour of the Reversing Rapids, a short history of St. Johns and a drive up to St. Martins for 7 people. Roy was booked with another tour, so we got another guide. He was late picking us up, and was not an informative guide. He only answered our questions and never offered a history of the area during the hour drive up to St. Martins. Our short local tour of St. Johns turned into over 2 1/2 hours of him stopping at various local places that he had marked in a book. You really need to be very specific about where you want to go otherwise they go to the same places they take everyone to. When we finally left the area for St. Martins, it was after 12 which meant we did not have alot of time there. I certainly did not feel that this tour was a personalized one, since I believe he had a set route that he was going to stick to no matter where I told him we wanted to go. This appeared especially true when he stopped at a local tourist stop that served ice cream and there were 3 other private tours there. I hope this helps. I'm not suggesting you cancel but you really have to tell the guide exactly where you want to go and make sure he sticks to it. Our guide also got us very nervous in getting us back by 3:30. We only made it back in time because the ship had a problem with the checking passengers back in. If I could redo this port of call, I would rent a car from Avis (which is close to the dock) and drive up to St. Martins and along the Fundy Trail. It was a very easy drive up there.

My sister has it mapped out where we want to go in our 6 hours and because we booked so early - Roy assured us that he would be our guide. Let's hope he sticks to his word. Thanks for your input - always appreciated.....

Portland, ME; Bar Harbor, ME; St. John, NB,CA; Halifax, NS, CA

Just got back from a Holland America cruise with some of the same ports.

Bar Harbor- tendered to shore, walked uphill and took a right (can't remember the name of the street, but it is the first street that faces the town green space); purchased a pass for the National Park bus and rode around on that all day. It was POURING rain so it was just a miserable day..we were soaked to the bone. But even then we got to see some of the highlights. We took the #3 route I believe. Wish we would've have timed it better to stop at the one place in the park that offered food. I believe they are famous for their popovers? We took the bus back to the town and walked to the Lazy Lobster and bought the lunch special that included a lobster roll (HUGE chunks of lobster!), chowder and a slice of blueberry pie! All VERY good

Halifax - rented a car from Enterprise. Walked up the hill from the terminal, took a left on like the first street and then found the Enterprise car rental place in the bus terminal. Definitely ask for and reserve a GPS ahead of time if you don't bring one. We went to Peggy's Cove, stopped at Reyer (??can't remember the spelling) for fresh steamed lobster and then stopped at a maple syrup place. We considered it a great day, didn't get lost, etc. If I were doing it all over again I would do it all in reverse ... maple syrup place, lobster and then Peggys Cove to avoid the HUGE numbers of tour buses at the Cove.

Our tour was with Roys Tours. I arranged with Roy for a tour of the Reversing Rapids, a short history of St. Johns and a drive up to St. Martins for 7 people. Roy was booked with another tour, so we got another guide. He was late picking us up, and was not an informative guide. He only answered our questions and never offered a history of the area during the hour drive up to St. Martins. snip .

St. John's is in Newfoundland, The Saint (never abbreviated) John is in New Brunswick :D

Archived