TravelScoot?

jackretired

Please explain the controls.

How do you go forward?

How do you stop?

How do you make a sharp U-turn like the guy in the elevator?

Are both rear wheels power wheels? If yes can you put power to just one of them?

How do you handle stoping on an incline? Is there a park gear? Parking Brake?

Is there a cane holder?

About Travelscoot:

It has a rocker on/off switch. To move forward you turn that on, then turn the right handle grip slowly away from you. The further away, the faster it will go.

When you want to stop, let go of the handle grip and apply the caliper-type brake levers. There are two of these, one for each wheel. When you need to stop on an incline, just apply the calipers all the way and hold them.

To park, you turn off the rocker switch first. Then pull the calipers all the way open and drop the attached spring nuts down to lock the brakes. There is no key Some people use a bicycle chain, but on the ship I never feel the need to.

The left rear wheel is the powered one. Therefore if you want to make a sharp turn, it should be to the right.

There is a cane holder beyond the handlebars, and also a cloth triangle you can put between the bars under your legs for more storage. There is also a basket you can purchase.

Hope this helps.

M.

Please explain the controls.

How do you go forward?

How do you stop?

How do you make a sharp U-turn like the guy in the elevator?

Are both rear wheels power wheels? If yes can you put power to just one of them?

How do you handle stoping on an incline? Is there a park gear? Parking Brake?

Is there a cane holder?

Got mine 2 months ago. Loving it. remember no reverse and you must use your feet to go backwards. Leaving on a cruise 15 days long and will report back. Had the seat padded for extra comfort on long rides.

When leaving outside a restaurant, the battery is easy to remove.

I forgot to mention that I had 3" of foam added to my Travelscoot's seat and had it recovered. I used an auto upholstery shop, and they had the material to and the foam and recover it in stock, so they only charged me $35.! I couldn't believe it. It makes it much more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

My DH uses his rollator on the ship (mostly to carry his O2 condenser since it can get heavy toting it around); however, for port days, we have previously rented him a scooter.

In March, we'll be visiting St. Thomas, St. Maartin and Samana. While I know the scooter can be used in St. Thomas (we can stay in Havensight) and in St. Maartin (longer walk to town for me, but, hey, it is what it is), has anyone used the Travel Scoot in any of these places?

I'm concerned about the potential lack of curb cuts (especially St. Maartin) and, with a Travel Scoot, I can pick it up and put it on a sidewalk (which I can't do with the scooter). He needs a scooter for distances/long periods of walking.

Any experience (good or bad) with the Travel Scoot would be appreciated.

He has full leg mobility and is quite strong overall.

Thanks!!

Heidi

We've been to St. Maarten and took the travelscoot on the ferry to downtown. No need to walk.

AWESOME! That would beat the heck out of me walking (so I'll have more energy for shopping) ;)

I think DH's biggest issue is that by "purchasing" a scooter - he'll truly feel "disabled". I keep telling him (1) we spend a lot to rent, so, at some point, it will make sense to purchase (though I don't care at all about the cost) and (2) it's not for "him" - it's more for "me" since, if he is mobile without me carrying lots of stuff, then it's truly a vacation we can both enjoy.

I'll let him know that you advised it can go onto the ferry.

Thanks so much! :)

AWESOME! That would beat the heck out of me walking (so I'll have more energy for shopping) ;)

I think DH's biggest issue is that by "purchasing" a scooter - he'll truly feel "disabled". I keep telling him (1) we spend a lot to rent, so, at some point, it will make sense to purchase (though I don't care at all about the cost) and (2) it's not for "him" - it's more for "me" since, if he is mobile without me carrying lots of stuff, then it's truly a vacation we can both enjoy.

I'll let him know that you advised it can go onto the ferry.

Thanks so much! :)

Once he begins using it, he'll understand how it will expand his world and actually give him back some independence. You won't be able to hold him back after that !

Once he begins using it, he'll understand how it will expand his world and actually give him back some independence. You won't be able to hold him back after that !

He's that way already with the rollator so that I can't keep up! :eek:

When he uses the "regular" scooter (Pride Go-Go) - sheesh - I have to keep yelling for him too!! (It's "Hey, Dude, remember me? I'm the one walking!! :rolleyes:)

It's a pride thing for him (I think) to actually "own" a scooter. But, I just think it will expand what we can do to have one that is light enough for me to pick up and move (such as the ferry or tendering). He's perfectly fine walking and stairs - it's the distance issue that gets him each time (well, and steep ramps).

I think it would be great for him to have more flexibility in port (we don't stray much anyway any more) - but, to go to "town" and not stay directly at the pier, would be awesome (for both of us).

Thanks everyone!!!

I think if you buy one he will find himself using it more rather than less. I use my travelscoot for shopping, travel, meetings, etc. My grandchildren call me "speed racer" now. Before I had it I was either at home or moving so slowly I was holding my family back. The travelscoot has made such a difference to me.

He's that way already with the rollator so that I can't keep up! :eek:

When he uses the "regular" scooter (Pride Go-Go) - sheesh - I have to keep yelling for him too!! (It's "Hey, Dude, remember me? I'm the one walking!! :rolleyes:)

It's a pride thing for him (I think) to actually "own" a scooter. But, I just think it will expand what we can do to have one that is light enough for me to pick up and move (such as the ferry or tendering). He's perfectly fine walking and stairs - it's the distance issue that gets him each time (well, and steep ramps).

I think it would be great for him to have more flexibility in port (we don't stray much anyway any more) - but, to go to "town" and not stay directly at the pier, would be awesome (for both of us).

Thanks everyone!!!

It became clear on our last big RV trip that we would need a scooter for long distances. DH has been on oxygen since April (24/7). We bought a regular 3-wheel (100 lb total) one that we could handle lifting in and out of our truck. He has used it at Balboa Park, and San Diego Zoo, the Del Mar Horse Races and anywhere that long distances were required. It worked great. We just purchased the Travel Scoot as DH wanted a lighter weight one that could be "carried" on to a tender so that we are not restricted as to what ports we will be visiting. He can walk and is still pretty strong, but does need the scooter for longer distances.

I'm sure your DH will enjoy it too. Good luck in your travels.

Thanks Katisdale and Sailaway5.

For "lifting" it - that would always be me. He's strong, but would get winded from heaving lifting (especially in humid/hot areas).

DH seems to want to pass just "one more time" :rolleyes: on purchasing for the moment. He just wants to rent the Go-Go for use for St. Thomas and St. Maartin. We won't be getting off in San Juan anyway (haven't for years) and he's sort of (ok, very) disinterested in getting off to go to Samana. (The tenders can be hot and no air circulation and that freaks him out. I'll probably venture out for a few hours and "report back".)

So, I'll keep "nudging" him (isn't that what a wife is supposed to do :p) about it though (and, since we'll be repeating the upcoming cruise in 2014 - we'll see how it works and I can say "see, if we had a Travel Scoot we could have done XX or YY" :D).

Thanks again, to all, for so much information!!! It's truly great that everyone is willing to share their experiences to help each other!!

Happy sailing!

• 3 months later...

I am posting on this thread because I can't seem to find the other one !

I wanted to report what a wonderful Cruise I had with my little scoot. I rode it everywhere on shore ! We had Van Taxi's and we would just pick it upand put it in the back we were a group of 7 :-)

I took it on water taxi's in St Martten and pretty much rode it everywhere I wanted to go ! What great freedom this little Scoot provides ....I think we passed out 5 cards to people who just could not believe its size and weight and wanted one .....Yes we told them how much it cost. This Scoot will pat for its self a dozen times over just in the freedom it offers !

I gate Checked it with no problems at all coming or going ! US AIRWAYS let me go down first and got off the Scoot and went in and got our seats while DH disconnected the battery,and lowered the handle bars ! We also took off the seat and bungie corded it to the Scoot laying it in the bottom of te scoot ! It worked out Great ! I also Taped a Laminated little note on the seat to please pick the scoot up using its frame that worked out great also!

No Issues with TSA and the Battery either ~ We were prepared with our Documents etc. They just were not needed ~ But you never no when some TSA is bucking for a raise or something so we will continue to carry the Battery Docs.

I had no tipping issues at all, and I rode it up and down the gangway and the Jetway both were quite steep ! It was awesome !

We had a Hadicapped room on the Ruby Princess but the little scoot would have easily fit in a reg. room.

I got caught in the rain coming back to the ship and it was a long pier in Grand Turks with a Dog Leg to boot.

I bought a Cheap 1 Dollar rain ponchoat Target and had it just in case ~ I broke it out and put it over me and the scoot and all was well.

I left our Group and sped down the pier very fast ! So I could get under cover ! When I got there the Crew just picked up little scoot and carried it aboard and I walked up!

Sooo my only suggestion to add to what so many have written is a Dollar Rain Poncho ! I just threw it in the bottom of the scoot and kept it handy .....I don't have or want a basket !

Hope this helps answer any questions you might have ~

I got mine last fall before our cruise of the Panama Canal. The travelscoot was awesome and I have my freedom back. Traveled in Florida with it. Loved the Folsom California outlets and our local mall. i have missed these activities for several years. I purchased a folding umbrella, not for the rain, but for the sun and loved using it in Mexico in the extreme heat. Once attached I can drive with it.

I got mine last fall before our cruise of the Panama Canal. The travelscoot was awesome and I have my freedom back. Traveled in Florida with it. Loved the Folsom California outlets and our local mall. i have missed these activities for several years. I purchased a folding umbrella, not for the rain, but for the sun and loved using it in Mexico in the extreme heat. Once attached I can drive with it.

Did the umbrella have a clamp? how did you attach it and where did you attach it. This sounds like another great idea.

Why did you decide to take the seat off when you got to the plane? I am traveling for the first time in 3 weeks and I had planned on leaving the seat on.

Look forward to your answers and so excited for you to have freedom back.

Marla

I am posting on this thread because I can't seem to find the other one !

I wanted to report what a wonderful Cruise I had with my little scoot. I rode it everywhere on shore ! We had Van Taxi's and we would just pick it upand put it in the back we were a group of 7 :-)

I took it on water taxi's in St Martten and pretty much rode it everywhere I wanted to go ! What great freedom this little Scoot provides ....I think we passed out 5 cards to people who just could not believe its size and weight and wanted one .....Yes we told them how much it cost. This Scoot will pat for its self a dozen times over just in the freedom it offers !

I gate Checked it with no problems at all coming or going ! US AIRWAYS let me go down first and got off the Scoot and went in and got our seats while DH disconnected the battery,and lowered the handle bars ! We also took off the seat and bungie corded it to the Scoot laying it in the bottom of te scoot ! It worked out Great ! I also Taped a Laminated little note on the seat to please pick the scoot up using its frame that worked out great also!

No Issues with TSA and the Battery either ~ We were prepared with our Documents etc. They just were not needed ~ But you never no when some TSA is bucking for a raise or something so we will continue to carry the Battery Docs.

I had no tipping issues at all, and I rode it up and down the gangway and the Jetway both were quite steep ! It was awesome !

We had a Hadicapped room on the Ruby Princess but the little scoot would have easily fit in a reg. room.

I got caught in the rain coming back to the ship and it was a long pier in Grand Turks with a Dog Leg to boot.

I bought a Cheap 1 Dollar rain ponchoat Target and had it just in case ~ I broke it out and put it over me and the scoot and all was well.

I left our Group and sped down the pier very fast ! So I could get under cover ! When I got there the Crew just picked up little scoot and carried it aboard and I walked up!

Sooo my only suggestion to add to what so many have written is a Dollar Rain Poncho ! I just threw it in the bottom of the scoot and kept it handy .....I don't have or want a basket !

Hope this helps answer any questions you might have ~

Thanks for all your helpful information. DH used it on our last Southern Calif Coastal cruise, and it worked wonderfully. We will be flying for the first time with it in a couple months when we try out a Mississippi River Cruise. Specifically, what paperwork did you carry along to show the airlines if necessary? We want to be sure to do this too.

Again, thank you for you report. Glad it worked so well for you.

Thanks for all your helpful information. DH used it on our last Southern Calif Coastal cruise, and it worked wonderfully. We will be flying for the first time with it in a couple months when we try out a Mississippi River Cruise. Specifically, what paperwork did you carry along to show the airlines if necessary? We want to be sure to do this too.

Again, thank you for you report. Glad it worked so well for you.

If you have the Li-lon battery be sure to print off this page for DOT.gov's Safe travel with larger batteries.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

My Husband printed all the docs on the Travel Scoot site regarding the Lithium Ion Battery.

Also just to be extra sure he went to the TSA site and printed thier allowances for the Lithium Batteries.

They allowed me just to ride my T.S. through security and I was never asked for any documentation at all.

I was told by the TSA Agent that did my pat down that they have just recently been schooled about these little Lithium Batteries that run the Scoots.

We took the seat off to reduce it's profile and so people would not be tempted to lift it by the seat or back It was just something Extra DH decided to do. It is really not necessary at all ! We just did not want them to pick it up by the seat and have it come apart in their hand.

The note the seat helped when the Taxi Drivers would Grab it and stick in the back of the Van or the water Taxi assitants too. We may have done a bit of Over kill but since it was our first trip with our Scoot we wanted to cover all the bases ......I'm sure the more we travel with it, we will become less and less Paranoid !! LOL

I've used my scoot on several cruises. I just ride it up to the gate, check it, and can't even remember if I needed to remove the lithium battery. When it's time to deplane, they bring the scoot up to the plane door and tell me it's there. No problems with it at all. I can't walk too far so it's been wonderful for traveling.

I just ride it up to the gate, check it, and can't even remember if I needed to remove the lithium battery.

I was told that it was important to remove the Li-ion battery because if the luggage hold got too warm it could create a fire hazard. I don't know if this is 100% true from some of the reading I've done on the hazards of Li-ion batteries but who wants to find out at 30,000 feet :eek: Plus, the way the batteries are just strapped onto the Travelscoot with the 2 small velcro straps, I am afraid it could fall off. I have had someone pick up the scoot by the battery at the back and I am fear a luggage handler might do that and end up having the battery damaged from falling off or damaging the connections. I have added extra velcro straps to mine but I like to remove the battery and bring in into the cabin with me in it's padded carry bag. ;)

speaking of connections has anyone had a problem with the wires and the red connection? It seems like such a cheap connection for such a wonderful, well thought out scooter.

No problems so far (knock on wood) but I agree, I do not like the design....occasionally I can NOT get them apart but luckily my hubby can. One of these days I am afraid I will break them trying. :eek:

Archived