7 am connie arrival, 11:30 am flight?

mermaidofmanhattan

The Constellation has cruises scheduled from both the Port of Miami and Port Everglades near Fort Lauderdale.

Making an 11:30 flight out of Miami from a Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale disembarkation will be extremely tight at best and not a good idea.

Making an 11:30 Miami flight from the Port of Miami shouldn't be much of a problem if there are no unusual delays in disembarkation.

If the cruise ends on a weekend then it will be more difficult than on a cruise ending on a weekday. This is due to crowds at the ports, airport lines and taxi demand. This is because in season weekend days in Florida see over 20,000 cruise passengers disembarking from Ft. Lauderdale and only slightly less disembarking in Miami on every Saturday and every Sunday and an equal number embarking on those days. A lot of these passengers and flying in or out the same day that their cruise ends or begins.

The Constellation has cruises scheduled from both the Port of Miami and Port Everglades near Fort Lauderdale.

Making an 11:30 flight out of Miami from a Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale disembarkation will be extremely tight at best and not a good idea.

Making an 11:30 Miami flight from the Port of Miami shouldn't be much of a problem if there are no unusual delays in disembarkation.

If the cruise ends on a weekend then it will be more difficult than on a cruise ending on a weekday. This is due to crowds at the ports, airport lines and taxi demand. This is because in season weekend days in Florida see over 20,000 cruise passengers disembarking from Ft. Lauderdale and only slightly less disembarking in Miami on every Saturday and every Sunday and an equal number embarking on those days. A lot of these passengers and flying in or out the same day that their cruise ends or begins.

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for your info!

The itinerary says "Miami"--so is that the port of Miami then? Wouldn't it say the Port Everglades otherwise?

Thanks,

Paula

Here's one more thing I hate about MIA. At least on our last flight out. We had to take an airport terminal shuttle/train to the gate area. This in itself is always a chore for elderly passengers or people like me with a bad knee. And the worst part, they changed gates 3 times so we had to rush back to that shuttle several times. And they announced the gate changes late and you have to listen for the PA announcement. Or check the computer monitor often. On the last and final gate change, it was a late announcement and everyone made a mad rush to the shuttle and the new gate.

Here's one more thing I hate about MIA. At least on our last flight out. We had to take an airport terminal shuttle/train to the gate area. This in itself is always a chore for elderly passengers or people like me with a bad knee. And the worst part, they changed gates 3 times so we had to rush back to that shuttle several times. And they announced the gate changes late and you have to listen for the PA announcement. Or check the computer monitor often. On the last and final gate change, it was a late announcement and everyone made a mad rush to the shuttle and the new gate.

mmm...I would hate for that to happen to them. I'm setting things up for my parents. They are 78 and 88--bad knees, hip replacements--all that. They are mobile, but they move slowly and I don't want them to have a hard time of it.

They are booked concierge--maybe they have priority getting off after the suites??

mmm...I would hate for that to happen to them. I'm setting things up for my parents. They are 78 and 88--bad knees, hip replacements--all that. They are mobile, but they move slowly and I don't want them to have a hard time of it.

They are booked concierge--maybe they have priority getting off after the suites??

No priority getting off the ship. Let Celebrity know that they may have problems and need to be off ASAP. Also go to Guest relations and inform them of their need to get off ASAP. Those with very early flights and those who carry their own bags usually are the first off.

Even if they have priority getting off other passengers don't give a crap, most passengers disembarking just care about themselves and getting to their flight. I was nearly run over by a dozen scooter passengers, waited patiently while i allowed families and scooter passengers into elevators nd was shoved so far back into the corner of the elevators when i finally got on i could barely breathe.

Don't chance it as you will oly stress them out as well as yourself and make sure you ask the airlines for gate/wheelchair assistance o they will be moved and directed if needed in case of gate change.

These airports have very long terminals so asking for wheel chair or cart assistance does not mean they have to bewheelchair bound.

Is there some kind of post cruise excursion where my parents' luggage would be handled so they wouldn't have to deal with it at all and maybe they take a bus tour around Miami and then fly home in the late afternoon??

Does Celebrity do this?

They do offer tours for late departures. Go to "My Celebrity" and check what is offered for your cruise.

Thank you! I'm assuming that if it says it's sailing from Miami--that means, Miami, yes?:o

Yes

Is there some kind of post cruise excursion where my parents' luggage would be handled so they wouldn't have to deal with it at all and maybe they take a bus tour around Miami and then fly home in the late afternoon??

Does Celebrity do this?

Celebrity offers a luggage valet service (click here), but:

Participation is dependent on several factors:

1. The airline must participate.

2. A minimum number of passengers (exact number is not public) must particpate to make the program work on each cruise.

3. Flights must be after a certain time.

4. Both the airline and TSA must approve them - both have numerous reasons, including random sampling by the TSA, where this is not approved. It is approved in the majority of cases where someone has a confirmed reservation with a pre-assigned seat so that airport check in is not required.

The cruise line always offers post cruise excursions which include transport of luggage and which end at the airport. The Celebrity site should list this in the excursion list you can download for the specific cruise and/or view under your parents cruise reservation on their website.

The Concierge Class booking states that they have priority, but this doesn't amount to much. They'll basically be in the first group within those being assigned for their flight time slot but following the many other passengers which also have "priority" such as suite passengers and higher level members of Celebrity's frequent cruiser Captain's Club. But I don't think it pushes them before passengers with earlier flights. Sometimes if they ask nicely at guest relations they can be included in an early group but that is at guest relation's discretion as there will be other people on board (including other elderly passengers) who might want an early time for one reason or another and all can not be accommodated.

Personally, I don't think it will be a big issue as long as they request a somewhat early departure - no need to carry their own bags off nor be the absolute first group off the ship. As long as they are physically and mentally able to handle a change in plans under the small chance of something going awry, they should be fine.

To the OP, keep this in mind:

Miami is a major gateway airport. Security screening lines can be long and sloooow. Take that into account. I think your parents should be OK if they leave the ship in the first wave and go straight to the airport. I am sure if they speak to someone on the ship, this can be arranged.

It is likely that the Constellation will arrive on time and your parents can make their flight, but I will bet that all the cruisers who have posted replies have been on ships that got into port late. The reasons can vary from weather (we are in hurricane season), to mechanical problems, to rare instances of fire or illness aboard, and at least one case of a pirate attack in the Red Sea. I am not saying any of these things will happen, but they can, and I always leave a generous amount of time between scheduled arrival and plane departure. An eight-hour margin in Miami will not make up for a disaster, but it can cushion minor delays.

Have made a number of arrivals in Miami. Last time, TSA waslate and/or slow, baggage was slow, taxis were scarce, and we missed a noon flight. Fortunately, the airline agent took pity and was able to book us on latern flight without penalty. Of course, we lost First Class upgrades and got middle seats. Lesson learned.

You can get wheelchair assistance for one or both of your parents to get off the ship--it should be requested several weeks in advance of the cruise by calling the Special Needs Dept at Celebrity. There is usually a big demand so arranging it in advance is best--be aware it may delay them however. We gave up on the wheelchair after waiting 40 minutes in miami!!!

ASAP call their airline and request wheelchair assistance for one or both at both ends of the flight. When they arrive at the terminal there are usually signs as to where to get the wheelchair-- some airlines let the agents curbside get it for you or bring you to the correct area. They will be taken through security and to the gate. Ask to have the chairs left and signal to the gate agent they are in wheelchairs. they will be allowed to board the plane early. Upon aarrival, their plane will be met by wheelchair attendants who will take them to baggage claim and to wherever they need to be for ground transportation. we usually tip $5 per person.

How are they getting to the airport from the pier? They can baggage handlers who can help them get their baggage and themselves to car? cab? shuttle? etc. Again, we tip around $5.

Good luck but do remember, disembarkation can be a zoo so make things as easy as possible for them. Perhaps consider a private car service to pick them up from the pier and take them to the airport. Go to the Port of miami website or Miami International Airport website and search for ground transportation. They will provide several options.

Good luck and I hope they enjoy the cruise.

You can get wheelchair assistance for one or both of your parents to get off the ship--it should be requested several weeks in advance of the cruise by calling the Special Needs Dept at Celebrity. There is usually a big demand so arranging it in advance is best--be aware it may delay them however. We gave up on the wheelchair after waiting 40 minutes in miami!!!

ASAP call their airline and request wheelchair assistance for one or both at both ends of the flight. When they arrive at the terminal there are usually signs as to where to get the wheelchair-- some airlines let the agents curbside get it for you or bring you to the correct area. They will be taken through security and to the gate. Ask to have the chairs left and signal to the gate agent they are in wheelchairs. they will be allowed to board the plane early. Upon aarrival, their plane will be met by wheelchair attendants who will take them to baggage claim and to wherever they need to be for ground transportation. we usually tip $5 per person.

How are they getting to the airport from the pier? They can baggage handlers who can help them get their baggage and themselves to car? cab? shuttle? etc. Again, we tip around $5.

Good luck but do remember, disembarkation can be a zoo so make things as easy as possible for them. Perhaps consider a private car service to pick them up from the pier and take them to the airport. Go to the Port of miami website or Miami International Airport website and search for ground transportation. They will provide several options.

Good luck and I hope they enjoy the cruise.

The OP said her parents can not run. She did not say anything about them being disabled or needing wheel chairs. There is a big difference between the two points.

Are you suggesting they claim they require wheelchairs just to cut lines? By your own words the wheelchairs are in high demand. I hope those that don't really need them won't take them away from others that do.

OP,

Are your parents flying to a city with multiple flights and/or airlines from MIA?

I would not recommend they take that 11:30 flight for several reasons.

Disembarkation is always stressful.

Self disembarkation should be totally disregarded to avoid your parents handling their own luggage off the ship. It's not pretty for a 30 year old much less anyone with a few more years added on.

The luggage retrieval process can be aided by finding a porter who will take their luggage through C & I and on to a cab.

Depending on their airline MIA can present long walks and even some messy TSA stops. For example, flights out of H check in at H then have to go to J for TSA and back through the secure side to H. Hopefully this is not permanent but it's a situation I am facing there in the near future.

If your parents need to eat lunch for their own enjoyment or dietary needs they will not be served on the flight unless they are in first/business class. They could always grab something at a kiosk to carry on but that adds more hand "luggage."

While remote, there is always the possibility of an unexpected late disembarkation.

You are planning a wonderful cruise vacation so give the same consideration to two happy, but probably, tired parents who just want to get home as easily as possible.

And, yes there are transfer tours that include luggage transfers.

And, an 11:30 flight may not qualify for direct luggage transfer. We have done this in the past but I think the flights must be after noon. All of this information is probably available on the homeports board or on Celebrity's confusing web site.

I know they will enjoy the cruise and will thank you for all of the planning you have managed for them.

Yes

2. A minimum number of passengers (exact number is not public) must particpate to make the program work on each cruise.

4. Both the airline and TSA must approve them - both have numerous reasons, including random sampling by the TSA, where this is not approved. It is approved in the majority of cases where someone has a confirmed reservation with a pre-assigned seat so that airport check in is not required.

The cruise line always offers post cruise excursions which include transport of luggage and which end at the airport. The Celebrity site should list this in the excursion list you can download for the specific cruise and/or view under your parents cruise reservation on their website.

The Concierge Class booking states that they have priority, but this doesn't amount to much. They'll basically be in the first group within those being assigned for their flight time slot but following the many other passengers which also have "priority" such as suite passengers and higher level members of Celebrity's frequent cruiser Captain's Club. But I don't think it pushes them before passengers with earlier flights. Sometimes if they ask nicely at guest relations they can be included in an early group but that is at guest relation's discretion as there will be other people on board (including other elderly passengers) who might want an early time for one reason or another and all can not be accommodated.

Personally, I don't think it will be a big issue as long as they request a somewhat early departure - no need to carry their own bags off nor be the absolute first group off the ship. As long as they are physically and mentally able to handle a change in plans under the small chance of something going awry, they should be fine.

I did luggage valet coming off Solstice into Port Everglades and it was just wonderful! I was looking forward to doing it again when we cruised Millie out of Miami, since I also travel with my elderly mother. Unfortunately, there weren't enough people signed up on the Millie cruise, so it wasn't available. And you don't find out until about day 2 of the cruise, so that makes it hard to plan ahead. I do wish they advertised this service more visibly. The only way I knew about it was from reading it here on CC, so I was looking for it.

Yes

Larry, thank you--that is a tremendous amount of useful information and I appreciate it so much.

OP,

Are your parents flying to a city with multiple flights and/or airlines from MIA?

I would not recommend they take that 11:30 flight for several reasons.

Disembarkation is always stressful.

Self disembarkation should be totally disregarded to avoid your parents handling their own luggage off the ship. It's not pretty for a 30 year old much less anyone with a few more years added on.

The luggage retrieval process can be aided by finding a porter who will take their luggage through C & I and on to a cab.

Depending on their airline MIA can present long walks and even some messy TSA stops. For example, flights out of H check in at H then have to go to J for TSA and back through the secure side to H. Hopefully this is not permanent but it's a situation I am facing there in the near future.

If your parents need to eat lunch for their own enjoyment or dietary needs they will not be served on the flight unless they are in first/business class. They could always grab something at a kiosk to carry on but that adds more hand "luggage."

While remote, there is always the possibility of an unexpected late disembarkation.

You are planning a wonderful cruise vacation so give the same consideration to two happy, but probably, tired parents who just want to get home as easily as possible.

And, yes there are transfer tours that include luggage transfers.

And, an 11:30 flight may not qualify for direct luggage transfer. We have done this in the past but I think the flights must be after noon. All of this information is probably available on the homeports board or on Celebrity's confusing web site.

I know they will enjoy the cruise and will thank you for all of the planning you have managed for them.

Thank you so much, yes, I want to make it as easy as possible for them. I'm exploring all the options and I'm very grateful for the information everyone has imparted--my mother is interested in a bus tour of Art Deco Miami and that might solve everything is it's the right fit. Thanks so much!

The OP said her parents can not run. She did not say anything about them being disabled or needing wheel chairs. There is a big difference between the two points.

Are you suggesting they claim they require wheelchairs just to cut lines? By your own words the wheelchairs are in high demand. I hope those that don't really need them won't take them away from others that do.

You do not have to be disabled to request a wheelchair, either on the cruise or with airlines. If you have mobility issues which could include walking long distances, walking uneven sufaces or having difficulty walking at uneven paces in crowds, it is certainly acceptable to request a wheelchair. It does not necessarily make it quicker... In fact sometimes it takes longer.

Requesting an accessible cabin however, unless you have a specific need for one is a different story. You do have to complete a form to give the nature of your handicap.

I do however have no respect for those who only request these cabins because of the size, location, balcony etc and do not have sight, mobility, hearing or other issues. I believe as well as the form they should have a medical certificate documenting their circumstances..and yes i know some people would ask their doctors to give them a note anyway even if they don't need one... Well they should be ashamed of themselves. If those cabins are not booked within x days or weeks before cruise date, only then should they be opened up to the general public.

Archived