Portland, ME Cruise Terminal

Shadowsmom

I've tried to research the pier at Portland. It seems that the port is ship will dock at the new pier on the out skirts of the port. Is there anything at the pier of interest? How far is the Long Wharf to get the trolley tour from the terminal?

My DH has knee problems and can not walk distances. What are my options to get an independent tout at the terminal? We are leaving 10/4/12 on the Enchantment OTS.

It's about 1/2 mile from the ship to Long Wharf. The walking is flat and on sidewalks. Google "long wharf portland maine" (map). The unmarked wharf to the far right is where the cruise ships dock.

There's a lot to see right on Commercial Street. That whole area is known as the Old Port... many great shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Once you leave Commercial Street, however, there IS a slight incline (something to know if you have walking issues) and some of the streets are cobblestone. I like to walk up Moulton to Exchange. There's a Starbucks at the top of Exchange for anyone missing their fix. ;) Fore Street is fun, too. It runs parallel to Commercial.

One of my favorite shops is the Maine Potters Market on the corner of Fore and Moulton.

Oh, and here are some online coupons for this area:

http://directory.portlandmaine.com/coupons.php

They change often, so check just before your cruise!

The new port in Portland is about 4 blocks further than the old port. It is also a much further walk to Commercial Street -- about 1/3 mile to get out of the port security. It is partially covered and flat -- but still a distance for walking inabilities. There is a golf type cart part of the way if needed -- but not all the way due to the way it is set up. On Commercial Street there were college guys with seats on bikes -- like Atlantic City boardwalk transport -- that were willing to take you anywhere for a fee, but step up into seat is high like a van.

Portland is beautiful with lots to see -- highly recommend Portland Foodie Tour -- goggle it. Very nice tour. Vicki:)

I was in Portland on Tuesday of this week... the Carnival Glory was docked at the Maine State Pier. That's closer to everything but it looked VERY congested at the gate to the pier. When I left the pier there was a long line of passengers waiting to get through (going back on the ship). I also noticed, for the first time, that someone had a shuttle to Freeport. They had a table out on the sidewalk that morning... I was driving so I couldn't really read the sign. My mom said it read: "Free shuttle to Freeport." I can't confirm that it was free, though. It would beat renting a car if you really wanted to go to LLBean! FYI, Freeport is about 20 minutes north on the highway.

• 1 month later...

Too late for this cruise season but may help someone in 2013. The city offers an all day HOHO bus 8A that leaves from the newer port building. We were there 10/31 and tickets were sold right at the port then board the bus just outside the fence. The cost is $5.00 but you must buy tickets before leaving the port as the drivers do not sell them on board. You will receive a route map when you buy your ticket and it will show you which stop to get off at for each attraction. Buses run every 20 minutes so it was very convenient. You can google Portland metro for more info and to be sure they are offering this service when you expect to be there. I believe that 8A only runs on days when cruise ships are in port.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived