Ship tours from Civitavecchia

Wansbrough

Does anyone know if Celebrity do a "go it alone" tour to Rome from Civitavecchia? We did this with Costa on a previous occasion and was nice to have that little security blanket of it being a ship tour as opposed to going it totally on your own.

If I remember rightly Costa charged €25 for a coach trip into Rome and dropped you just in front of the Vatican, from there you were free to do what you wanted until the return leg.

Does anyone know if Celebrity do a "go it alone" tour to Rome from Civitavecchia? We did this with Costa on a previous occasion and was nice to have that little security blanket of it being a ship tour as opposed to going it totally on your own.

If I remember rightly Costa charged €25 for a coach trip into Rome and dropped you just in front of the Vatican, from there you were free to do what you wanted until the return leg.

Celebrity offers 3 options. You can take a regular train to Rome,. You can take a special Celebrity train to Rome. You can take a Celebrity bus that leaves you off at the Vatican. Not sure of the prices for each.

They do offer a "Rome on Your Own" that has you on a bus and drops you near the Vatican. But it is very expensive! We have done the 'regular' train many times with zero problems. It costs 12 euros/rt and includes buses and metro. Just check the schedule (I always print out and bring with me) and make sure you take the second to last train to get you back into port, just in case of trouble. Frankly, we always try to get the train closest to 8 AM and after walking all day we are ready to catch the 3:30ish one back.

I have done both the bus twice and the train once. The train was brilliant. You are really only a short hop away from it as you board on the quay not at a staion. Very quick and comfortable journey and drops you a short walk from the vatican. Try the HOHO bus from the vatican to get you around the major tourists sights. Have a lovely holiday.

Having a prepaid ticket with a tour guide lets you skip the massive lines you will find at the Colosseum and the Vatican. I'm sure there are other ways to get in without standing in line than taking the ship's tour, but if it's your first visit to Rome and you want to hit those sites in one day, having a guide is not a bad way to do it (rather than going it alone).

As Kathy said, you will have both options.....either a cruise line bus or taking yourself on the train. They both take approximately the same amount of time. The big difference is that you will save about $70 per person by taking the train, and assuming you purchase a BIRG ticket (12 Euros) your train ticket will also get you free unlimited use of Rome's Metro and bus systems during your port day.

Hank

And as for lines, you can pre-buy your Vatican Museums tickets, and you can buy your Colosseum tickets at the Palatine Hill gate, which has short or non-existent lines.

For the best information, head over to the ports-of-call Italy pages--tons of great hints and even whole tours posted. Very knowledgable travelers over there!

Here's a sample: get off the train at the Roma Ostiense station; hop the metro there and take it two stops to Colosseo. That will bring you out right in front of the Colosseum. From there you can walk between the Roman Forum and Trajan's Market with lots to see right from the road. Continue on a few blocks to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Trevi Fountain. Then you can walk over to the Spanish Steps, or hop a cab to the Vatican. If you're short on time, wait in the fast-moving line to see the basilica at a minimum, or spend a few hours touring the museums and the Sistine Chapel. Then catch the train back to port at the Roma San Pietro station. There are of course many permutations of this plan!

Thanks for all the help and information. I was just curious to know if X do the go it alone trip. Last time we were there we used the HoHo bus and found it to more than adequate for our needs.

Maybe taking the train on our own will be the way to go this time.

.....get off the train at the Roma Ostiense station; hop the metro there and take it two stops to Colosseo. That will bring you out right in front of the Colosseum.

This sounds ideal for what we want this time, last time was more a whistle stop tour. This time we are going to be more specific. The Colosseum with a guide being one of the things we want to do.

Archived