Harbor House in Galveston?

IamaTexasCruiser

So after watching Magic sailaway we relxed for a bit before heading down to the Olympia Grill pier21 (OG21)again for dinner. That is the nice thing is one night you can have great seafood and the next night you can have great authentic greek food.

So while we were enjoying our dinner and chasing off a few skeeters. The CO of the USS Ft Worth happened to come out on the back deck of the OG 21. While he was swatting off a sketter I joked about how Tx mosquitos loved Commanders. He laughed and asked about the weekend and if we were having good time. And than asked if we had toured her yet, which I replied no.

I had tried to get a tour for the GF but security is tighter than what Im used to. With all the VIP's and CEOs in attendance there was private security, 3 + local law enforcement and locked n loaded USN/USCG near the gate at all times.

So he walked over to the table, we started talking USN for a bit and he told us tomorrow morning let the sailor pulling duty at the gate 'He is authorizing a tour and to ask for HM1 to give us a tour'.My Gf almost jumped out of her seat. Ive been on a quite a few Navy ships over the years but this would be her first. THANK YOU SIR.

So he headed inside away from the skeeters and my GF floated around while we ate our desert. Concerning mosquitos this is the first time we have had any bother us. They have put up citronella mini torches up on the railing but they were biting my legs as I had shorts on.

So up to our room and look forward to the tour in the AM.

Btw If you stay at the HH you get a free bread pudding to share for desert. Tonight, since the waitress remembered us from the previous night they let us have any desert. We chose Baklava:D

So the hotel has a continetal breakfast perfect for the precruise meal.today It consists of pastries,bagels & cream cheese, raisin bread, bowls of hot oatmeal, bananas, yogurt, some juices and of course coffee and hot water/tea bags. Not a bad spread. We bring a few things back to the room and enjoy the views out the window of the cruise ship we arnt hopping on.

So while my Gf gets ready for the tour I head down to make sure we still have a tour(the old man may have been joking;))

Since they were pulling out today I wanted to make sure I didnt get in the way of the HM1's duty.

So the HT1 that was pulling duty sort of gave me a shocked look when I told him the Skipper had granted a tour. So as he walked away and spoke with the ship. I was thinking maybe it was to late, since the private security was breaking down the metal detectors and getting ready to load up the scanners.

He turned around with a smile and said no problem and I mentioned the skipper had suggested HM1 for our tour. He called the HM1 and scheduled a 10am tour AWESOME!!!!

Harbor House from helo flight deck this is the east facing side Our first room was the 3rd floor 4th window from right

And the window where cruisere were looking out is in the middle of the wall right below the HH sign

2q202o9.jpg

Parking lot for hotel $10 per day

2h5usg4.jpg

one of the pay parking lots if you want to enjoy the pier area and restaurants

This one in front of Fishermans wharf

4lreu.jpg

If you eat in one of the restaurants 3 hrs free but dont forget to validate

2qw29hc.jpg

SO we head downstairs and meet up with the HM1 for our tour of the ship.

We were the only civilians onboard besides the Civilian contractors doing final adjustment for the shakedown cruise to San Diego.

It was really great for the GF, since we wernt on the 'public tour', the crew was able to relax and we got to share some stories.

Im glad she was able to hear them, as I met her after I was out, and there are things I dont talk about much.

We were probably on there for almost 2 hrs.

11ux3b5.jpg

The HM1(hospital corpsman first class Enlisted E-6) has been in 15 years

He is also an IDC or independant duty corpsman. There is no MD onboard he is the DOC. Just like I was with the Marines.

We head back to pack and check out and realize its almost 12(check out time) So we swing by the front desk and ask for another hr and she said yes. Awesome!!!!!.

We pack our bags, check out and put our luggage in the car so we can go to Olympia Grill for lunch. The only meal we havnt had there:o

So we head to the back deck of the Olympia and grab our seat at the rail to watch the Ft Worth and Triumph sailaway.

During the week Olympia has a daily lunch Special so the GF had that while I had one of their great burgers.

It was preceeded by a couple Bloody Mary's and a dozen raw scallops on the half shell. YUMMMMM

Over the next couple hours they prepare the ships for sailaway.

In closing Harbor house is a great place to stay.

The hotel is limited but rooms are spacious. I do recommend asking for extra pillows as they are small if you are used to a king bed.

They do have cruise parking and you also have pool privleges at the Hotel Galvez. Also free Wifi

While If you call them they will tell you have a 2 night min on weekend.

But you can book thru 3rd party booking engines for one night sometimes. Thats what we did.

Weekends are more expensive than weekdays.

They have AAA and MIL discounts if you stay sunday-thursday for $89;)

For those of you sailing on the Triumph on Thursdays or Mondays HIGHLY Recommend since it is CHEAP for the area.

It is close to 4 restaurants and walking distance to the Strand and many more restaurants.

Of course our favorite place for eating is Olympia Grill pier21 because of the great food and friendly customer service but also the unobstructed views of sailaways.

There is also a Starbucks across the street for those of you that need a pre-cruie fix.

So Off to Katies to pick up some local seafood to take home

Excellent review and one thing you overlooked

was the entertainment at Olympia Sat nite.

Hi Lee, it was nice meeting you and Mary last wekend. It was good time and great conversation. We will have to do it again.

And you are right I did leave out the entertainment OOPS:o

On the weekends they have a belly dancer and Im thinking there might be a photo of her dancing for me;)

You had the same view as I did when I stayed at the Harbor House last year! :D I was on the 2nd floor, though.

2240984050105476688S600x600Q85.jpg

Sorry my picture quality sucks.

Thats cool

Isnt that an awesome view. Especially if you are boarding her. Hopefully next time we will

Your photo looks great. The water looks so calm.

Also that was when you could walk to the end of the pier and wave to the cruise cam

Awesome review of the HH!!! We are thinking of staying here in January before we sail out on the Triumph. I may have other questions about the HH along the way and i bet you can answer them for me!! So watch for them!! :D Love all the pics!!

Thanks for the great review of the Harbor House Hotel. We will be staying there this weekend before Triumph cruise on Monday. Very excited about being in the atmosphere of Disney Cruise on Saturday and Carnival Magic on Sunday. We don't usually have two days precruise to chill so it's a bonus.:D

After your great review of Olympia restaurant, I think we will have to check that out as well! :)

Your pics and stories were great. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Pam

Awesome review of the HH!!! We are thinking of staying here in January before we sail out on the Triumph. I may have other questions about the HH along the way and i bet you can answer them for me!! So watch for them!! :D Love all the pics!!

Thank You and I will be glad to answer all your questions. If I cant I know a few locals that post on CC that will be able too

Thanks for the great review of the Harbor House Hotel. We will be staying there this weekend before Triumph cruise on Monday. Very excited about being in the atmosphere of Disney Cruise on Saturday and Carnival Magic on Sunday. We don't usually have two days precruise to chill so it's a bonus.:D

After your great review of Olympia restaurant, I think we will have to check that out as well! :)

Your pics and stories were great. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Pam

Thank You

There is something about the atmosphere of staying next to the cruise port and watching these cruise ships coming and going. It just builds the excitement for your own cruise

Olympia Grill is great I would recommend the Scallops on the half shell or the Crab stack as an appy with a beer or cocktail for a sailaway;)

Thanks for the review of HH...we have left out of Galveston on cruises before and stayed in Galveston last time, but on the seawall. We went to the Strand while we were there pre-cruise and have also stopped on our way to Louisiana to watch a ship leave and ate at the Olympia Grill...YUMMY...but this hotel has always been something I would like to try, but have read so many different reviews on travel sites, was kind of afraid to book it....BUT now I have it booked in January 2013 for our pre-cruise stay and am so excited......Because of your pictures and review, I think it will be a GREAT place to stay a couple days before the cruise and enjoy the area....Thanks again!!!!!!

Thanks for the review of HH...we have left out of Galveston on cruises before and stayed in Galveston last time, but on the seawall. We went to the Strand while we were there pre-cruise and have also stopped on our way to Louisiana to watch a ship leave and ate at the Olympia Grill...YUMMY...but this hotel has always been something I would like to try, but have read so many different reviews on travel sites, was kind of afraid to book it....BUT now I have it booked in January 2013 for our pre-cruise stay and am so excited......Because of your pictures and review, I think it will be a GREAT place to stay a couple days before the cruise and enjoy the area....Thanks again!!!!!!

I read some of those same reviews(I think) So I was very cautious when my GF said we were staying there.

Before I wrote my review I was thinking about some of them and while I understand a couple of the complaints,

I didnt experience any of them and was pleasantly surprised, especially with everything going on that weekend

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived