Resort fees

vvnh16a

There are always threads discussing the pro/cons of tipping , how much,when, or what should we call it. Another fee that major resorts in las Vegas, Hawaii and others locales, have been adding on recently are "Resort Fees" which is an all inclusive fee for items available at the resort regardless of wether or not you use them. Do you see something like this coming to the cruising industry? Any resort fee would not be part of the base price but a fee collected in final payment like a govt tax. THis would be in addition to the tipping that is already going on. Resort fees would be no different than say a luggage charge an airline charges

No, I don't see them charging to use the pool, walk the promenade deck, shuffleboard, ping pong tables or other basic entertainments on the ship, however, they already charge for other additional features. There is a charge on HAL ships that have them to use pool/retreat cabanas. Do they charge for the ice show on RCI ships? Some cooking classes have a fee.........

It is not an 'alien' to cruise ships concept.

I wish all cruiselines would change from "suggested gratuities" that are auto billed to your on board account,,, and just change the terminology to "resort fees" or "service charges"

That way we wouldn't have as many "budget" people crying on CC. It would become a mandatory fee, end of discussion.

One of the original draws of a cruise was that you once you paid your fare, other than alcoholic beverages,excursions, and gratuities it pretty much was "all inclusive". Now it seems every time you turn around, there is an opportunity to open your wallet. I don't know if this is better or worse, but at least it's all discretionary spending. As I've posted on other threads, a cruise in 1981 cost us within $30 of what a cruise cost us last year (30 years later) for the same length and same cabin category. They've got to make more $$$$$ somehow, and if it's not in the base ticket price, it's got to be from some other source. Once upon a time, a couple a' hundred dollars above and beyond the base cruise price covered it all, now....it's a lot more!

One of the original draws of a cruise was that you once you paid your fare, other than alcoholic beverages,excursions, and gratuities it pretty much was "all inclusive". Now it seems every time you turn around, there is an opportunity to open your wallet. I don't know if this is better or worse, but at least it's all discretionary spending. As I've posted on other threads, a cruise in 1981 cost us within $30 of what a cruise cost us last year (30 years later) for the same length and same cabin category. They've got to make more $$$$$ somehow, and if it's not in the base ticket price, it's got to be from some other source. Once upon a time, a couple a' hundred dollars above and beyond the base cruise price covered it all, now....it's a lot more!

The fare you paid 30 years ago vs what you pay today for a like category cabin may be similar but that is where it stops IMO

Have you compared the menus?

How about cost of wine?

Cost of cocktails?

Cost of Photos?

Were there hors d'ouerves at the bar during cocktail hour?

What was crew to guest ratio?

I could go on and on but you get the point.

You may have paid a similar price for the base fare but what you get for that fare and what you pay for other not included things is vastly different.

On the other hand, we have choice to book verandas, we have swimming pools with retractable roofs, we have air conditioning and private baths in all cabins, tv's and DVD players and the list goes on...... Lots is very much better.

I don't think that is necessarily unreasonable especially for someone who books a great deal and spends little additional.

It might not be such a great deal for the person booking a much more costly cabin. They have to decide that for themselves.

But..... many things on the ship are still included so can't say the cruise line has added resort fees all over the place but the quality and quantity of it might have changed.

The above WAS my point. So many people talk about how the cruise experience has digressed. Well.....for the "base" of what you are getting, if it costs the same now as it did 30 years ago, of course you have to get less! And yes, when you compare menus, you get "less" now, but now you also have the option of paying $30 pp in a surcharge restaurant. The ratio of staff to passengers is significantly lower. Then a drink from the bar was a dollar and change, now...close to $10. A lot of additional on board costs didn't exist 30 years ago and those that did have gone up disproportionaltey higher. Rather than paying in 2012 dollars for what you got in 1982, the base price has stayed the same but everytime you turn around now, you have to open your wallet, so when the cruise is over you DID spend in 2012 dollars what you spent in 1982, in 1982 dollars, but that "$399 for a 7 day cruise" attracts a lot more people than $399 did 30 years ago. And I guess that's why every year the number of new folks cruising goes up.

The above WAS my point. So many people talk about how the cruise experience has digressed. Well.....for the "base" of what you are getting, if it costs the same now as it did 30 years ago, of course you have to get less! And yes, when you compare menus, you get "less" now, but now you also have the option of paying $30 pp in a surcharge restaurant. The ratio of staff to passengers is significantly lower. Then a drink from the bar was a dollar and change, now...close to $10. A lot of additional on board costs didn't exist 30 years ago and those that did have gone up disproportionaltey higher. Rather than paying in 2012 dollars for what you got in 1982, the base price has stayed the same but everytime you turn around now, you have to open your wallet, so when the cruise is over you DID spend in 2012 dollars what you spent in 1982, in 1982 dollars, but that "$399 for a 7 day cruise" attracts a lot more people than $399 did 30 years ago. And I guess that's why every year the number of new folks cruising goes up.

You do need to factor there are people on the ship that paid $399 for the week and there are people on the same ship that paid $3,999 for the week. :rolleyes: For the $399 person, sure,,,,, they are getting a lot.

The person/couple who pay considerably more, many times more, has to decide if they are getting 'their money's worth.' That, most likely is an individual decision.

Too many times that major differential is ignored in the comparision conversations. IMO

One thing I think we might see as resort fee on the ships is like they did many years ago....... pay to reserve your deck chair. :) No more chair hogs.

Kelly Ripa has her Travel Trivia game. I'm amazed at the prices quoted for these trips. Today it was $8,500 for 6 nights, all inclusive, in St. Lucia for 2 people (including air). I can do three 7-day cruises from Galveston for that, even if I have 3 drinks a day (which for me is a lot).

Back to OP's original topic: Cruise ships do have fuel charges they can (and have) imposed. Gosh, this time next year there might be a meat surcharge. I think the price of pork and beef is going way up because of the drought -- at least in the USA.

Kelly Ripa has her Travel Trivia game. I'm amazed at the prices quoted for these trips. Today it was $8,500 for 6 nights, all inclusive, in St. Lucia for 2 people (including air). I can do three 7-day cruises from Galveston for that, even if I have 3 drinks a day (which for me is a lot).

<snip>

The variable, of course, is what hotel one stays in, what category cabin one books, the cost of the bottle of wine they order.........

There are people on the same ship at the same time that have paid $499 for the week along with those who have paid $4,999 for the week.

It's the same cruise, would be the same island at which they are vacationing but Kelly could be right they are paying the big price she quoted. Maybe they're in the largest two bedroom suite with a butler. :D

There are always threads discussing the pro/cons of tipping , how much,when, or what should we call it. Another fee that major resorts in las Vegas, Hawaii and others locales, have been adding on recently are"Resort Fees" which is an all inclusive fee for items available at the resort regardless of wether or not you use them. Do you see something like this coming to the cruising industry? Any resort fee would not be part of the base price but a fee collected in final payment like a govt tax. THis would be in addition to the tipping that is already going on. Resort fees would be no different than say a luggage charge an airline charges

Don't we already pay the equivalent? Cruise fares include a number of basics: Accommodations, most food, most entertainment, most onboard facilities. You're suggesting that on top of the fare and the DSC/tips we pay (automatically or otherwise), the cruise lines should add another daily fee for ship facilities that we've already paid for in the cruise fare? I'm not sure I follow.

Also, resort fees are nothing like luggage fees charged by airlines. If I don't have checked luggage, I don't pay a luggage fee. As you note, resort fees are the opposite: A charge for something whether you use it or not.

beachchick

Don't we already pay the equivalent? Cruise fares include a number of basics: Accommodations, most food, most entertainment, most onboard facilities. You're suggesting that on top of the fare and the DSC/tips we pay (automatically or otherwise), the cruise lines should add another daily fee for ship facilities that we've already paid for in the cruise fare? I'm not sure I follow.

Also, resort fees are nothing like luggage fees charged by airlines. If I don't have checked luggage, I don't pay a luggage fee. As you note, resort fees are the opposite: A charge for something whether you use it or not.

beachchick

That's true. Whether we pay golf or not we pay that resort fee to maintain the golf course. :(

The air fares probably take up a huge part of that.....if you live near a cruise port, you can cruise a lot cheaper than someone that lives $6-800 per person away from from a cruise port. It also depends on the class and style of the all-inclusive resort - some places (like some cruise ships, and some cabin classes) are worth well more than $500 a day, others aren't worth more than $100 a day. You can't compare price alone, and different people will value different things differently.

Archived