First Cruise; Oceania Air; Lessons Learned; Great Outcome

boooomer

I learned so much from the folks on this Board that I figured I would share our experience with O Air so, as they say, others might benefit.

We’re cruising on O’s Temples & Palaces cruise from Athens to Istanbul next month. One of our prerequisites for TA flights is Business Class. O’s offer for this cruise of $699 each way upgrade to Business class was a great incentive to take this cruise. Adding to that, the fact that I didn’t have anywhere near the points to book an award ticket made it a no brainer to use O Air.

O Air booked us with great flights from Miami to Athens and back from Istanbul to Miami. I especially appreciated the fact that they were both 1 stops and that each flight left at a reasonable hour. Everything was confirmed. I learned from my TA how to check the flight info on Virtuallythere.com and in particular the seat assignments. He also told me that if I wanted to change seat assignments to contact the airline directly. Benefiting from Seatguru, I did just that and the airlines were happy to oblige.

All of this was accomplished promptly after final payment a few months ago.

I also learned from this board that it is important to check periodically on the status of your flight on the “Already Booked” page of Oceania. Doing that over the weekend, I discovered a change in our departure time from Istanbul. Apparently United changed the flight schedule on our first leg back from Istanbul to Newark pushing it back by 2 hours, which would cause us to miss the last flight from Newark to Miami. Had I not picked this up we would have had a problem.

I let my TA contact O Air. However, thanks to info posted on this board, (thanks J&S) I armed my TA with 2 flight options that I found that could be viable alternatives. I wanted to make this easy for O Air suggesting the outcomes that I wanted. But unfortunately O Air doesn’t have a contract with one of the airlines and doesn’t have a contract that includes Business Class seats on the other. So O’s response was to book us on the shortest routing possible – also a 1 stop but leaving Istanbul at 5am. We would have had to leave the hotel by around 2am. DW said “DOA”. The alternatives were flights leaving not much later with multiple stops and up to 18 hours of travel time. Also not a good way for us to end our first cruise!!

Sensing my angst over this, DW suggested that we book a hotel in Newark and catch the next flight out the following morning. As retirees that’s, as they say, a no brainer. TA and O air loved the idea and rebooked our original flight to Newark and got us on the next plane the following day bound for Miami.

This change was driven by the airline, and clearly beyond O’s control. However I would suggest to O Air that in their relationships with the Airlines that O get notified of any change like this. And, that they notify the TAs of the change so that it can be managed.

All that said, it should also be noted, to O’s credit, that based on the relative costs of the flights as they are advertised on the internet, O did not select the cheapest flights for this itinerary. And I appreciate that.

All in All a great collaborative effort & a great outcome!:D

Just an FYI

We were able to change our seats before final payment our FP is not due until Dec & i just booked the cruise recently

It may be airline dependent but I would try to change the seats (if you not like what is assigned) sooner than later while the selection is good;)

Air Canada was very helpful, now just to watch for schedule changes ;)

Glad it all worked out for you

Lyn

Does anyone know whether I can get a change to my return flights after I already accepted a deviation plan? The flight isn't until mid-January. I had booked a long time gap between the flight from Tahiti and the flight to YYZ. I have to go from the International Terminal to Terminal 2. I am second guessing myself now. Perhaps 3 hours is enough. Advice please!

Does anyone know whether I can get a change to my return flights after I already accepted a deviation plan? The flight isn't until mid-January. I had booked a long time gap between the flight from Tahiti and the flight to YYZ. I have to go from the International Terminal to Terminal 2. I am second guessing myself now. Perhaps 3 hours is enough. Advice please!

I have done this several times. Tom Bradley (the international terminal) can have horrendous line-ups. And being Canadian, you get to be in line along with jumbo jets from all over Asia. We've been in line with immigrants pulling all their worldly possessions--very slow. Another time it was quick. It just depends on how many other planes are there at the time.

Three hours is likely to be enough, but it might not be. (I know, this doesn't help much.)

I have done this several times. Tom Bradley (the international terminal) can have horrendous line-ups. And being Canadian, you get to be in line along with jumbo jets from all over Asia. We've been in line with immigrants pulling all their worldly possessions--very slow. Another time it was quick. It just depends on how many other planes are there at the time.

Three hours is likely to be enough, but it might not be. (I know, this doesn't help much.)

Actually, it does help. I will just relax and go with my original plan and air schedule. Thanks!

The new Immigration Area at LAX is better now. Can't speak for those traveling without US passports but we've had to wait longer to have the bags arrive at the carousel than we've had to wait in line for Immigration or Custom processing. Most recent experience was end of July 2012.

Just an FYI

We were able to change our seats before final payment our FP is not due until Dec & i just booked the cruise recently

It may be airline dependent but I would try to change the seats (if you not like what is assigned) sooner than later while the selection is good;)

Air Canada was very helpful, now just to watch for schedule changes ;)

Glad it all worked out for you

Lyn

Hey Lyn ! Where are you going this year? we are headed to the Black Sea but not until July. Had I known you were heading out with O, I would have sent Artie along. Now that he is retired, he is a free man :D. Hope to meet up with you on the next cruise. Regards to DH.

Ronnie

Hey Lyn ! Where are you going this year? we are headed to the Black Sea but not until July. Had I known you were heading out with O, I would have sent Artie along. Now that he is retired, he is a free man :D. Hope to meet up with you on the next cruise. Regards to DH.

Ronnie

LOL

Send him along

We are just off to the Caribbean to get away from the winter ;)

Lyn

Archived