Sailed on Oasis. Wondering what did you think of the food?

motherchic

We sailed on the Oasis last winter. And had a wonderful time.

Little about us: We are in our 50's, all together we have sailed about 20 times with RCCL, Celebrity and once with Carnival.

I never wrote about it but we found the food in the cafeteria REALLY unappealing. We love all kinds of dishes, American, Chinese, Indian....... But so many times it looked like slop in a bowl. We are soooooo not fussy.

We stayed in the adult area a good portion of the time. Absolutely tranquil and lovely. right next to this area was the "spa" food. It was good but REALLY healthy ( sometimes a little too much)

Now there are allot of places to eat but it is a HUGE ship. And if you just wqanted to grab a plate of food and go back to the lounge chairs and your book, it took awhile if the food in the Windjammer wasnt good. Even the hamburger staion was on the other end of the ship.

(God, that sounds lazy)

Did anyone else feel the food was below par for buffet food? And in the dining room, perhaps because there were so many to feed, the service seemed rushed.

We have always been very happy with our meals but not so much on Oasis. The specialty restaurants were great. I think it would have been nice to have a grill closer to the adult area and better choices in the buffet.

PLEASE dont flame me, its been almost a year and I never mentioned it but we just booked another cruise and our deciding factor to not go on the Oasis or Allure was the food

Sooo, I was just wondering what you all experienced

I never wrote about it but we found the food in the cafeteria REALLY unappealing. We love all kinds of dishes, American, Chinese, Indian....... But so many times it looked like slop in a bowl. We are soooooo not fussy.

I wonder about that.

I see these here every once in a while and used to worry about them since the wife and I are sailing her in Feb. What I have figured out is the vast majority of people who sail on Oasis/Allure think the food is good to very good. I also know from personal experience some people live to complain, especially if money is involved. I doubt we will be in the Windjammer much anyway but I guess we'll find out for ourselves soon enough.

I can't claim any previous cruising experience, but my son (a rather picky eater) and I sailed on the Oasis this past April. I found the food to be a step UP from the middle-of-the-road restaurants that we tend to frequent. We're not gourmet eaters, and we don't frequent the 'best' rrestaurants, but my son and I REALLY enjoyed the MDR on Oasis. The number of choices available each night was great, and we always found things that we enjoyed. It also gave my son the option of trying new foods, without being stuck with them if he didn't like them. And, in every single case, he liked them. I could easily see paying $60 each for a meal of that caliber in a local restaurant.

We were on the Oasis last week . We only ate at the windjammer for breakfast and we found the food to be quite good . There was also a large variety to chose from . The service there was also excellent . They would greet you upon arrival and find you a table within minutes , even at the peak times . They would also bring you coffee and juice to your table and refill your cups often.

We ate in the dining room for dinner and the food there was in my opinon - excellent . Beef terderlion with jumbo shrimp , lobster tails ( 6 - 8 oz ) ,

lamb chops , lamb shanks, nice ragu sauce with spare ribs for a pasta dish . Service in the dining room was also excellent .

I didnt go for the hamburgers and fries if we were in the windjammer as there was other options if we were there for lunch , which wasnt often .

We had lunch in the dining room and the food was also agreeable .

We find the food and service very good on the Oasis .

We were on the Oasis Sept. 8 cruise and had the new menus. Food in the MDR was very, very good and our service was attentive and fast. Our two lunches in WJ were also very, very good food and lots of variety. I particularly enjoy Indian and other Asian foods and there were plenty of those dishes as well as "American" fare, assorted pasta, fish, chicken, etc. I never saw any "slop in a bowl"! Also, there were the usual hamburgers in the WJ.

We sailed on the Oasis last winter. And had a wonderful time.

Little about us: We are in our 50's, all together we have sailed about 20 times with RCCL, Celebrity and once with Carnival.

We stayed in the adult area a good portion of the time. Absolutely tranquil and lovely. right next to this area was the "spa" food. It was good but REALLY healthy ( sometimes a little too much)

Now there are allot of places to eat but it is a HUGE ship. And if you just wqanted to grab a plate of food and go back to the lounge chairs and your book, it took awhile if the food in the Windjammer wasnt good. Even the hamburger staion was on the other end of the ship.

(God, that sounds lazy)

Did anyone else feel the food was below par for buffet food? And in the dining room, perhaps because there were so many to feed, the service seemed rushed.

We have always been very happy with our meals but not so much on Oasis. The specialty restaurants were great. I think it would have been nice to have a grill closer to the adult area and better choices in the buffet.

PLEASE dont flame me, its been almost a year and I never mentioned it but we just booked another cruise and our deciding factor to not go on the Oasis or Allure was the food

Sooo, I was just wondering what you all experienced

Every time I cruise I see these post about the bad foods ,let me tell you we have been on Oasis and the food was very good ,I never eat at Buffett anyway dont like the idea that so many people spit and cough and touch the stuff I cant imagine eating at buffet when there are so many options like ordering off a menue,What a shame they put bad food on the ship for your week .

I was on Oasis last April and found the food to be the best of any RCCL cruise so far. The WJ was great, especially the Indian dishes, good and spicy. They also had great salads, a range of entrees, and even some good desserts.

But in 2011 I was rather horrified by the food on Freedom, so it happens. Sometimes they just have a bad week.:)

On our Oasis cruise I never had lunch in the WJ.

But, every morning, I was at the WJ at the opening of breakfast every morning, and thought it was exceptionally good, lots of variety, and I chowed down to the point I rarely had anything for lunch.

The times I did have some lunch, did the roast beefs and salads at Central Park.

No complaints from me about the food, I thought it was good.

I sailed Oasis in August, before the new menu. I went in with an open mind with regards to the food. I had one lunch and one breakfast in the Windjammer and honestly it wasn't to my liking at all. The MDR was better, but average at best. I enjoyed the specialty restaurants and Park Cafe a lot, though. Still enjoyed my cruise very much and didn't let the food situation ruin it for me :)

I sailed on the Oasis in August. (before the new menus), My family and I enjoyed the MDR and thought the service was wonderful. We usually enjoy the Windjammer on other ships but on the Oasis we did not care for the food selection at all and felt it was much too crowded for the number of people. We ate breakfast and lunch either in the MDR or Johnny Rockets afte the first day

I, too, have sailed on the Oasis. I ate at various venues, including the Windjammer, Park Cafe, MDR, Solarium Bistro Johnny Rockets, and the seafood place on Boardwalk. I enjoyed all of the food. Everything was tasty, looked good, and was nicely served. Looking forward to all of the venues on the Allure in July.

Thank you to those of you who expressed your opinion, with politeness.

I expressed a comment politely and asked for the same. I have NEVER made a negative post on CC. This was my first.

Though I have seen people "flamed" for making a statement.

Not that I

should really explain myself but when we cruise its a HUGE treat. I love the planning and everything about it. We can do anything and generally see the bright side and cannot stand hearing fellow cruisers complain or treat the staff unkindly.

But the week we were there the Windjammer food was just sad:(

I agree with the one poster who said sometimes you have a bad week. I wondered if that was the case, as we never found the food lacking before. Good to know others thought it was good.

Thank you to those of you who expressed your opinion, with politeness.

I expressed a comment politely and asked for the same. I have NEVER made a negative post on CC. This was my first.

Though I have seen people "flamed" for making a statement.

Not that I

should really explain myself but when we cruise its a HUGE treat. I love the planning and everything about it. We can do anything and generally see the bright side and cannot stand hearing fellow cruisers complain or treat the staff unkindly.

But the week we were there the Windjammer food was just sad:(

I agree with the one poster who said sometimes you have a bad week. I wondered if that was the case, as we never found the food lacking before. Good to know others thought it was good.

We sailed on the Oasis last September and found the food in the MDR to be okay/good, but not "excellent". However, we were on the Oasis again last week and I must say that the new menus were outstanding, and the food was delicious, interesting, well seasoned, and the service was great. We really felt that someone had taken to heart all the comments about the food on the Oasis and the Allure in the past. It is difficult to serve over 5000 each meal throughout the ship but we thought the "new, improved" menus and recipes to be fantastic.

We thought the food in WJ on Oasis was great. In fact we thought the food in the MDR, WJ, Central park and everywhere else was great. Had no issues at all with anything we ate the whole week.

We ate in the MDR every night but the last. We went to WJ the last night and were very please with the variety of choices they had for meat, veggies, salads, etc the last night of the cruise.

We thought the food on the Oasis was good to very good except for the Windjammer. We went there for lunch 3 times....seemed liked the same stuff everyday and not that good. We thought the Windjammer on the Oasis was a couple of steps down from our other cruises on Royal.

We sailed on the Oasis last September and found the food in the MDR to be okay/good, but not "excellent". However, we were on the Oasis again last week and I must say that the new menus were outstanding, and the food was delicious, interesting, well seasoned, and the service was great. We really felt that someone had taken to heart all the comments about the food on the Oasis and the Allure in the past. It is difficult to serve over 5000 each meal throughout the ship but we thought the "new, improved" menus and recipes to be fantastic.

so glad to hear that:)

We have never sailed on the Allure or Oasis yet but have on Freedom, Mariner and Voyager.

We usually ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR when open

We ate in the MDR mostly and in a specialty restaurant one night.

The MDR food was good and bad and service was slow. I loved Caesar salad and they usually brought us a whole bowl

We also ate in the Windjammer on night when it first opened and food was fresh and hot. That's the best time to eat there.

If you eat breakfast late in the Windjammer or a late lunch, it's not as good.

Breakfast for room service was also good

It's been a while since I've been on the Oasis, but I thought the Windjammer was average. Not the best I've ever had on RCI. I chalked it up to quantity. I've recommended my friends who are sailing Oasis class to go to the Park Cafe for breakfast and lunch. I thought the food was much more appealing.

Archived