Cruising with a 3 year old

Mintycake

Hello, we are thinking of cruising with our 3 year old in January/February of next year (she will just have turned 3). We have cruised with Princess in the past and enjoyed this line so we'd like to stick with it. we are considering 2 iteniaries:

Carribean Princess - Southern Carribean

Ft. Lauderdale - Princess Cays, Curacao, Aruba (with 3 sea days)

Crown Princess - Western Carribean

Galveston, TX - Roatan, Belize, Cozumel (with 3 sea days)

Both departure ports are about the same distance from home and flights are similarly priced for us, so that's not an issue. I know Ft Lauderdale is closer to the pier as I believe you'd need to fly into Houston to get to Galveston.

We are also thinking of choosing a mini suite. I beleive that you can order the full dining room menu in a mini suite?

Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be more suitable, or any other advice for cruising with a 3 year old?

Thank you!

I have done both and would choose the Western Caribbean only because of the ship. The Caribbean Princess is an older class ship and, while in good shape, their kids club and area are not as good as the newer ships. The outside area for kids is covered under some bridge and roped off and always dark and uninviting. The rooms for young kids club is not great either. Also, some of the restaurants and facilities from the newer ships are not on the Caribbean Princess. We have done the Western Carib itinerary twice there is a ton to do with a little kid - in roatan you can just so beach by the port (it's great) or go to Victor's farm and play with the baby monkeys and birds. In Cozumel we've done both beaches and tours of the island and both are great for kids. This itinerary is one of our favorites actually so I highly recommend it. If you have any other specific questions I'd be happy to help.

Hi thanks for your reply! I am confused as I thought Carribean Princess and Crown Princess were sister ships and identical? Both were refurbished in 2011.

We have done Western Caribbean before as well but not with the same iteniary as listed as Princess just recently started sailing out of Galveston, TX. But love the port suggestions as well! Good to consider and it will actually cost us less air miles to fly to Texas :)

Just recently did the Crown to Aruba with a 3 year old. If I were you I would do the Aruba route because Belize is not a stop for a 3 yr old, matter of fact due to the incredibly long tender ride to the T shirt pier, Belize is not a stop for anyone unless you have purchased an excursion. (the ruins, cave tubing or scuba/snorkeling). With out a doubt get the mini suite. More room and I believe it has a tub. It has been my past experience Princess does a great job in their kids clubs and are very accomodating.

MichelleChell - as we have only sailed on Princess and Celebrity, we are a bit nervous to try Carnival (reputation of "the party ship" etc, even though I know many say that is not the case anymore). What are the advantages on Carnival?

Carnival is hardly a party ship any longer. They made some effort to get away from that, and then they eliminated all (?) the late evening deck parties. I'm sure there is a night life somewhere on the ship, but (for better or worse) you need to go looking for it now.

All else being equal, I would stay away from Galveston just to avoid the transport issue. The ship is about an hour from the airport (or stay near the airport), so unless you fly in the same day you can't use the cruise ship shuttle. If you do, it's expensive. (I think it's $30pp each way, but the link on Carnival's site is throwing an error right now :rolleyes: ) A shuttle one way is also in the $100 range.

Don't get me wrong, I love Galveston. I've cruised out of there 10 or 12 times when I lived in Texas. I've cruised out of there once when we had to fly in. We won't do that again, with all the other options available. It's just not worth the hassle.

I also would prefer the ports on the Eastern, but of course that is a personal preference.

Thanks everyone. I think we're pretty much settled on Carribean Princess out of FLL. Now we're just trying to pick a cabin! We'll save money by doing a balcony but I'm wondering if it's worth paying for a mini suite just for the extra space. Prior to having my daughter my husband and I have sailed in both oceanview (for port intensive cruises) and balcony (warm weather cruises).

Mini suite vs balcony on Princess when you have a little one in tow? :confused:

Thanks everyone. I think we're pretty much settled on Carribean Princess out of FLL. Now we're just trying to pick a cabin! We'll save money by doing a balcony but I'm wondering if it's worth paying for a mini suite just for the extra space. Prior to having my daughter my husband and I have sailed in both oceanview (for port intensive cruises) and balcony (warm weather cruises).

Mini suite vs balcony on Princess when you have a little one in tow? :confused:

I have been faced with this decision on Princess multiple times and each time I took the mini suite. The tub and each room having its own tv, plus extra space....well worth it....

I'd get a balcony vs mini suite. You will not be spending a top of time in the cabin anyway and it's best to spend the money on tours, drinks, etc. For sleeping arrangements, we usually push the two beds to one of the walls and take the mattress off the bunk bed and put it on the floor next to the two beds. My sons loves sleeping there and I do't have to worry about him falling off the bunk at night.

As far as Crown vs Caribbean, they are sister ships but for some reason the outside kids area is very different on them. We hated the one on the Caribbean Princess as it was very dark/shaded and weirdly roped off. The kids' pool/deck on the Crown is in one of the best and sunniest spots on the ship and is next to several smaller adult pools if you want to take a quick dip.

I'd get a balcony vs mini suite. You will not be spending a top of time in the cabin anyway and it's best to spend the money on tours, drinks, etc. For sleeping arrangements, we usually push the two beds to one of the walls and take the mattress off the bunk bed and put it on the floor next to the two beds. My sons loves sleeping there and I do't have to worry about him falling off the bunk at night.

As far as Crown vs Caribbean, they are sister ships but for some reason the outside kids area is very different on them. We hated the one on the Caribbean Princess as it was very dark/shaded and weirdly roped off. The kids' pool/deck on the Crown is in one of the best and sunniest spots on the ship and is next to several smaller adult pools if you want to take a quick dip.

Chances are you may not spend much time in the room, but what if, do to circumstance, you must? I am not a big fan of moving furniture and walking sideways in my cabin to make due.

If the OP values a much nicer restroom to tend to the little one, a seperate room with an actual bed and tv and plenty of space to have the little one play with toys or move around..... the mini suite on Princess absolutely can not be beat. My little one was not feeling well one day and even when well liked to take naps....believe me when I say that extra room is a big deal.

By the way...agree with you about the pool on Crown Princess!

Archived