Are extension leads necessary?

Yankee2033

Hi

I have read many times on forums that an extension lead is an escential item to pack. I am getting organised for my January Cruise and am already concerned about all the thing that i want to take.

We have a Balcony cabin on the Ventura, can anyone give a view of their experience of the facilities on this ship? For example i need to plug my haor dryer in near a mirror and we need to charge up camera batteries.

Many Thanks

Jayne :)

Hi

I have read many times on forums that an extension lead is an escential item to pack. I am getting organised for my January Cruise and am already concerned about all the thing that i want to take.

We have a Balcony cabin on the Ventura, can anyone give a view of their experience of the facilities on this ship? For example i need to plug my haor dryer in near a mirror and we need to charge up camera batteries.

Many Thanks

But will you be doing both at the same time? Phil

We were planning on taking a small extension lead. This is based on our previous experiences (on QM2 though) where the plug socket was too close to the worktop to allow those kind of plugs (phone chargers etc) which have an extended part below the three prongs. It was a real nuisance as I was using the phone as an alarm clock and I had to take it to the purser's desk periodically to be charged.

Hi

Many Thanks

Jayne you are on a fly cruise and so weight is a factor. The cabin will have a hair dryer and if you are not going to use a vast array of electrical goods then I would not bother with an extension. However I think you can get quite lite ones now.

We always take one but we only do cruises from Southampton.

Gan Canny

Dai

We were planning on taking a small extension lead. This is based on our previous experiences (on QM2 though) where the plug socket was too close to the worktop to allow those kind of plugs (phone chargers etc) which have an extended part below the three prongs. It was a real nuisance as I was using the phone as an alarm clock and I had to take it to the purser's desk periodically to be charged.

I've experienced that problem too! ...but thankfully Cunard seem to have seen sense, and have 'flipped' the sockets around, so the bulky part of the plug/charger now points skyward

We took one for the first time on our cruise last month (our 5th cruise with P & O). We only took it because we thought it might come in handy if we wanted to charge anything up at the same time as I was drying my hair etc. As it happened we never used it so we won't bother taking it again!

I've experienced that problem too! ...but thankfully Cunard seem to have seen sense, and have 'flipped' the sockets around, so the bulky part of the plug/charger now points skyward

That's good as I hope we can go back on QM2 again sometime :)

I went to the shop on board to see if I could get an extension lead and the young man told me to ask at the Purser's desk as he thought they could flip the sockets round. I did just that and you should have seen the look on the young woman's face! I got a definite 'No!'

The point is this -- IF you do not take some kind of extension lead, you may not be able to use the standard electrical plug in your cabin to power some of your equipment. These plugs are placed on the cabin wall very close to the top of the desk. Their placement means that some battery chargers (for example) are unable to be physically plugged into the outlet!!!

If you have any equipment that has a power plug that has the cable coming DOWN from the plug ( ie not straight out, sideways or upwards) - then you most likely will not be able to plug it in.

Barry

I have never taken an extension cable on any cruise.

I always take my own hair drier as I prefer it to the ones on the ships and I have long hair and it makes life easier for me.

What I would suggest though is taking an adapter, its smaller, lighter and solves the problem of the cable coming from the plug and not fitting in the socket. I take one which has 2 or 3 outlets one being on the top of the adapter and its perfect!:D

The sockets in the balcony cabins on Ventura are awful to use. I read on here about taking a small extension lead with a few sockets and was so glad I took notice. My phone charger,laptop charger, camera charger , vidoe charger and computer game charger all wouldnt fit in the socket because of its position on the desk. Wow, I didnt realise how many

electrical items i took till i listed them!!!!

The sockets in the balcony cabins on Ventura are awful to use. I read on here about taking a small extension lead with a few sockets and was so glad I took notice. My phone charger,laptop charger, camera charger , vidoe charger and computer game charger all wouldnt fit in the socket because of its position on the desk. Wow, I didnt realise how many

electrical items i took till i listed them!!!!

Agree as I experienced similar on Azura. The charger for my ipod wouldn't get near! Always take a small extension lead with two or three sockets (except the one time "someone" forgot to pack it!). Its also useful for charging a number of items overnight (camera, video, ipod, phone), rather than having a "queue" for the charging socket!

If you can't get your socket in by the dressing table, I seem to remember that there is another socket that the tv is plugged into which works well for charging things overnight when you are sleeping and not watching tv.

Seven tenths of the world is covered in sea - that's a lot of cruising to do!

We always take a 4-way extension lead and find it so useful on P&O. We forgot it on one cruise and really struggled without it. As Ops have said, some items do not fit into the socket by the mirror. I use it for my own hair-dryer but we both have mobiles that we use as clocks overnight so charge them when getting ready for dinner. We also take a Kindle and Ipad, hair straighteners, camera and video recorder, all of which use electricity or need charging (not at the same time!). Think it's surprising how many gadgets we have these days.

Archived