things to do in NOLA

canadiancruiser23

all booked on the navigator dec1. we are coming in on the 28th so we have three days to have fun in n.o. i know that borbon street is the place to be at night but what things are there to do during day.looking at the dury inn or place de armes as our hotel (which is better ?) and not renting a car. we are in our 50's and like to explore things. any extra tips would help and thank you

all booked on the navigator dec1. we are coming in on the 28th so we have three days to have fun in n.o. i know that borbon street is the place to be at night but what things are there to do during day.looking at the dury inn or place de armes as our hotel (which is better ?) and not renting a car. we are in our 50's and like to explore things. any extra tips would help and thank you

The Drury is great. Nice breakfast and a great snack bar in the evening. You can walk over to the French Quarter. If you stay at the Drury check out their pool and hot tub on the roof. :)

Hi Canadian friend,

We stayed at the Drury a couple of years ago..nice place, not far at all from Burbon Street (10 to 15 minute safe walk.) We walked to many places( I am 70 and wife is 60..if you like history, we thought the National WW ll Museum

(www.nationalww2museum.org was GREAT. (the 4D movie Beyond All Boundaries narrated by Tom Hanks was really good too. We spent a couple of hours there (could have spent many more hours ..my wife and I are "history people" and we REALLY enjoyed it. After that we walked over to the Civil War Museum(also called the Confederate Museum (www.confederatemuseum.com small but also very nice and very close to the WWll Museum. We rode the St Charles Streetcar ( for info. on the street cars- www.norta.com )which you can get on right near the Drury Inn. We rode it all the way to the end(very scenic ride) and at the end you have to get off, for a couple of minutes, then get right back on and ride back. You can get on and off whenever you want. It was $1.25 to ride, but you had to pay $1.25 each time you got off and on, UNLESS you get the VisiTour pass(it was $5.00 for one day unlimited rides) ($12.00 for 3 days.) We got off at the Audubon Zoo-very large (for pictures on the zoo.. www.zydecocruiser.com/nola/zoo/index.htm , got off at Loyola University(the largest Catholic University in the South) right next door is Tulane University(just walked around the campus for a little while) got off to walk through an old cemetry I think it was St Louis cemetry #2..it too was neat !! The St Charles streetcar goes thru the Garden District with all of its old homes. The ride on the St Charles, in my opinion, is a must do. When you get off the streetcar at the end (where you have to reboard, there is the Camellia Grill that many people go to. We also rode the other 2 street cars(Riverfront and the Canal Street cars) Another site for NO info www.neworleansonline.com on the right side click on free travel coupons, near the bottom click on NO attractions. This was our first visit to NO , but I did alot of research before hand. The NO Convention and Visitors Bureau will send you a an official Visitors guide if you ask

www.neworleansvb.com

I'm sorry I rambled on, but we really enjoyed our time in NO !!! :)

I have much other info ..so any questioins just ask.

We are going on a cruise Oct 21 and ending up in NO. We are going to rent a car and go out to visit a couple of plantations(Laura and Oak Alley)

Later,

Knarf(Frank backwards)

Thanks Frank (knarf)! We appreciate your lead regarding Budget and it being OPEN on Sunday! Guess you can't assume that hotel information is reliant when it comes to other businesses. We did call Budget and used the offer code of BCD rate UO88200 and we got it for the same amount as you. The offer was for (UP to 35% off if you Pay Now) so we prepaid, and we are all set. Budget said they WILL even send a shuttle to the pier to pick us up. So, of course, they'll pick you up also. :) Our reservation is set for 9AM. That settles how we are going to get around the NO area, now we just need to study the NO map and the area and figure out what we want to see and do. My DH would like to eat at one of Emeril Lagasse's restaurants. So much to see and do but we have all day into the night. As long as we can get some shuteye at the hotel before we return the car to the airport Monday morning.

Ruth & Bill (crusingalong)

My Roll-Call people need this information and couldn't find it in the New Orleans Port Information because I didn't put it here under Transportation.

Now it's Here :) Hope it helps.

I just returned from a conference in New Orleans. My first 4 nights were at the Place D'Armes. I am usually a Marriott person (and have stayed there many times) but you can't beat the location of Place D'Armes! I had a room in the second courtyard. It was quiet and the room was very large. Breakfast was nothing fancy, but who needs it when Cafe Du Monde is a half a block away.

The National Park visitor's center offers free walking tours. There was so much to do in New Orleans. I am not a drinker so did not frequent Bourbon Street. Be sure to sit and listen to the calliope playing on the Natchez 15 minutes before boarding commences.

This is definitely one of my favorite cities to visit.

Renee (displaced local girl)

You could get a Visiticket ( http://www.visiticket.com/NewOrleans/new-orleans-power-pass.aspx) depending on what all you wind up doing. You pay the 1 price and it gets you free admission to a lot of the top attractions in New Orleans. Here's a list of the attractions:

http://www.visiticket.com/NewOrleans/attractions_all.aspx

Hope that helps a bit!

We rode the St Charles Streetcar ( for info. on the street cars- www.norta.com )which you can get on right near the Drury Inn. We rode it all the way to the end(very scenic ride) and at the end you have to get off, for a couple of minutes, then get right back on and ride back. You can get on and off whenever you want. It was $1.25 to ride, but you had to pay $1.25 each time you got off and on, UNLESS you get the VisiTour pass(it was $5.00 for one day unlimited rides) ($12.00 for 3 days.)

Did the price for the all day street car ticket go up? Was there this past June and only paid $3 for an all day pass. Had to pay in exact change either way, too.....

The day pass was $5, but has been dropped to $3. Perhaps due to the construction on the St Charles streetcar line-you need to take a bus to Louisiana from Canal. Not sure when it will be done.

Archived