Review: Ben the Bendy Man's Stellar Star Adventure Sept 23 - Sept 30, 2012

kylenyc

Hi everyone!

I'm Ben the Bendy Man and I've just returned from beautiful sunny Bermuda aboard the Norwegian Star. This is my first review and I'll try to be mostly fairly imbalanced yet objective where it matters.

This is the second time I'm traveling "solo" (albeit with the assistance of my photographer, typist, and part time dancing banana kylenyc). I had a fantastic time aboard the Star where I met the friendly folks from the Cruise Critic roll call and even made some wonderful new friends aboard the ship. Thank you Cruise Critics for being so helpful with your reviews and answering questions. Without you this trip wouldn't have been so memorable and so much fun.

I hope you find this review slightly entertaining and maybe even helpful.

DSCF0117b.PNG

Day 1 - Ben takes New York City mass transit to Pier 88

Prologue

It was late July and Ben hadn't taken a vacation since last year. Sitting atop a bookshelf, prodding his typist 6 days a week at all odd hours day and night, Bendy Man's frown was no longer upside down. He desperately needed a vacation and needed one soon but his usual traveling companion (the typist's dear mother) couldn't get away.

With much trepidation, Bendy Man decided to travel alone and so booked an "emergency vacation" - A short 3 day cruise in August out of Miami aboard the Norwegian Sky... to test the solo waters. Ben wasn't fond of the idea of "solo" travel but much to his surprise, he had a very pleasant trip. When he returned from the cruise de-stressified and smiling once again, he quickly instructed his executive assistant to book a longer 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Star, began obsessively reading the Cruise Critic - Norwegian Cruise Line message board, and joined the "roll call."

Day 1 - Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ben abruptly woke at 10 AM after a scant 4 hours sleep. He had been up doing the pre-cruise happy dance jiggity jig, compiling a list of attractions and maps of Bermuda, printing out receipts and boarding docs, and addictively still reading Cruise Critic discussions. By Noon he had finished packing.

Yes, you read it correctly... Showered and packed in 2 hours and yes we know Bendy Folk with XY chromosomes might have it a little easier when it comes to washing, dressing, and packing. Being an experienced Freestyle Cruiser also helped knowing he could pack light and dispense with the tux, cumberbun, and wing tips. Still he knew he was cutting it a little close so he was out the door in a whoosh while dangling from a Dakine backpack. Rumbling down the stairs and shuffling around the corner, he caught an MTA bus to the Roosevelt Avenue / 74th Street station where he could take a subway into Manhattan.

DSC_0008.PNG

It's peanut butter jelly time!

DSC_0009.PNG

DSC_0012.PNG

Ding! Stop Requested

DSC_0013.PNG

Roosevelt Ave and 74th Street Station, Jackson Heights, Queens

After a short bus ride, he was through the turnstile and hopped onto the first arriving train... headed in the wrong direction! Ben's (distracted and self-amused) photographer, in an excited rush, stepped onto the subway towards JFK! Fortunately, the mistake only cost 20 minutes. He was able to exit at the next station, walk easily over and across to the downtown platform and take the E train into Manhattan.

DSC_0017.PNG

To add to the confusion, the subway map shows Ben "EREH ERA UOY"

DSC_0020.PNG

Ben is mesmerized by some haute couture "Op! Op! Oppa Gangnam Style?!?"

(continued)...

Day 1 - Ben takes New York City mass transit to Pier 88 (continued)

After a short ride, Ben arrived at the 50th Street and 8th Avenue station. It was about a 3/4 mile walk from here to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal - Pier 88.

DSC_0028.PNG

50th Street and 8th Avenue station, Manhattan (Does not smell like Old Spice or Teen Spirit)

DSC_0032.PNG

E train departing

DSC_0026.PNG

What's that moving in the shadows?

DSC_0033.PNG

Fresh air and a brisk walk.

DSC_0034.PNG

DSC_0040.PNG

Pier 90. Getting close! Huff! Puff!

(continued)

Day 1 - Ben takes New York City mass transit to Pier 88 (continued)

As Ben shuffled towards the Hudson, he was getting increasingly anxious to see the ship, get on board, relax and have fun. Walking west on 50th Street, Ben arrived at Pier 90 and proceeded to walk south under the overpass to Pier 88 and the Star.

A passenger/freight elevator operated by a friendly woman took Ben to the upper level. Upon entering the terminal, no pictures or cell phone use was allowed. Passengers arriving by car or bus are also dropped off on the upper level (by entering the terminal heading southbound on 12th Avenue near 56th Street).

Within 15 minutes of entering the terminal, Ben was on board the beautiful Norwegian Star! Security was a breeze, there was no one in the check-in line, and there were many check-in staff! There was an open counter at VIP Check-In and even though Ben wasn't living the VIP "suite life", he was swiftly waved over by Sheila who gave a friendly welcome and checked us in. This was a marked improvement compared to the staff at the three Norwegian cruises he took out of this terminal last year.

Editor: Ben was actually tucked away in my back pocket once in the terminal. I didn't want to bet on the US Customs or Port Authority's sense of humor. Also, I arrived later than I wanted and wonder how check-in was for people arriving earlier or later.

DSCF0106.PNG

Walking from Pier 90 to Pier 88 and the Norwegian Star

DSCF0113.PNG

Pier 88

DSCF0117.PNG

Exiting the passenger check-in and towards the boarding ramp

DSCF0122.PNG

Oceanview Cabin, Category OA.

DSCF0124.PNG

Ben couldn't wait to kick back and relax

(Continued) Tomorrow: More of Day 1 - Oceanview cabin pictures, Cruise Critic informal meet and greet, Bier Garten, Sail Away Party, and Sailing Solo Get Together at Gatsby's.

More more more please! This reminds me of the cruise we took Flat Stanley on! He was kidnapped by pirates (but that's a long story!)!

OMG!! pirates!?!?!! pirate.gif

I am enjoying this review, so keep your fingers nimble and continue! I'm sure Bendyman is prodding you as well.

I guess Ben didn't realize he could have transfered from the E train to the M50 bus right outside the 49th Street subway exit and saved himself the walk to 12th Ave. Likewise, after the cruise upon exiting the terminal he could cross 12th Avenue and get the M50 bus on 50th Street which would take him back to the subway. Oh, well, for next time.

Archived