Review: Ben the Bendy Man's Stellar Star Adventure Sept 23 - Sept 30, 2012

kylenyc

Would you please ask Ben if he has been to New England/Canada on the Gem so I can have these great tips for my own cruise in Oct. 2013? I'll be leaving from NYC and I have that covered since I am from NYC :) (now living in the brown west coast).:rolleyes: Thanks!

Sorry Moondawgie. Ben's never taken a New England cruise and this is his first review. His cameraman has never taken so many pictures which really helps as he didn't keep a journal and is writing this review straight from memory.

If you haven't already done so, Ben suggests you introduce yourself in your cruise's Roll Call and find out what others are planning. You can also post questions in Ports of Call:

• New England http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

• Canada http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Ben would also use tripadvisor.com to find out about the top attractions in each town and see what shore excursions match up.

Ben has taken several road trips to Bar Harbor because it's his favorite New England town. He enjoys simple leisurely strolls through the quaint town, window shopping, and an ice cream cone while relaxing in the park.The beach and shoreline in Acadia National Park is gorgeous and reminds Ben of the rugged coast near Big Sur. However, the water is cold that time of year though that may not stop the people from going in for refreshing dip. It's an amusing attraction all by itself to see children (and adults) run out of the water beet red shivering and then running back in for more. There are also various sea tours to view whales, puffins, seals, and lobstering.

One year, Ben sailed aboard the Schooner Margaret Todd of Downeast Windjammer Tours where he enjoyed views of Cadillac Mountain. Bring a pair of binoculars (for the cruise as well) and you may spot a bald eagle, and point into the sky and while everyone else squints and stares at you funny. Ben's used to that sort of thing.

Ben enjoys breakfast at the quaint restaurant Two Cats on Cottage Street but usually wakes up late and by then it's packed so he goes to Jordan's Restaurant for delicious Maine blueberry pancakes, great coffee, and quick friendly service. He can also be seen in Stew's Lobster Pound enjoying a lobster roll for lunch or a whole one for dinner. Ben prefers his lobster rolls "naked" (without mayo and drizzled with butter). However, if you're lucky, the Gem will pick up a supply of Maine lobster on their runs and serve it on board as the Dawn did this year. Yum!

Ben has taken several road trips to Bar Harbor because it's his favorite New England town. He enjoys simple leisurely strolls through the quaint town, window shopping, and an ice cream cone while relaxing in the park.The beach and shoreline in Acadia National Park is gorgeous and reminds Ben of the rugged coast near Big Sur. However, the water is cold that time of year though that may not stop the people from going in for refreshing dip. It's an amusing attraction all by itself to see children (and adults) run out of the water beet red shivering and then running back in for more. There are also various sea tours to view whales, puffins, seals, and lobstering.

One year, Ben sailed aboard the Schooner Margaret Todd of Downeast Windjammer Tours where he enjoyed views of Cadillac Mountain. Bring a pair of binoculars (for the cruise as well) and you may spot a bald eagle, and point into the sky and while everyone else squints and stares at you funny. Ben's used to that sort of thing.

Ben enjoys breakfast at the quaint restaurant Two Cats on Cottage Street but usually wakes up late and by then it's packed so he goes to Jordan's Restaurant for delicious Maine blueberry pancakes, great coffee, and quick friendly service. He can also be seen in Stew's Lobster Pound enjoying a lobster roll for lunch or a whole one for dinner. Ben prefers his lobster rolls "naked" (without mayo and drizzled with butter). However, if you're lucky, the Gem will pick up a supply of Maine lobster on their runs and serve it on board as the Dawn did this year. Yum!

Thanks! Bar Harbor is one of my stops and I've never been there. Since I love New England in general, these tips are terrific. I am looking forward to it. You're the best Ben, photog and typist. Now I have a craving for blueberry pancakes.;)

Day 4 - September 26, 2012

Ben explores St. George and Fort St. Catherine

As we arrived in St. George, the guide gave us another pleasant surprise. Someone was offering to give a free walking tour of St. George. So Pat and Ben quickly shuffled off the ferry among the throngs of eager passengers following our new guide.

Now previously while up in Bier Garten sipping a Bloody Mary and planning his trip, Ben had thought of hiking from King's Square up to Fort St. Catherine if the weather held. So when he heard the tour guide point to the free bus to Fort St. Catherine (a UNESCO World Heritage site), Ben's assistant and Pat stared at each other and quickly decided to hop on it. By now, Ben figures Pat hadn't run off yet due to a morbid curiosity about grown adults playing with figurines.

While Ben felt bad for skipping the crowd and wishes he could thank the tour guide for that important tip, it was a fortuitous impulse decision as it made for a fabulous time at the fort. We were happily able to explore the site without the crowds and it was important to be able to do it at our own pace.

DSCF0244.PNG

Walking west away from the ferry a short stroll to King's Square

(Right) White Horse Pub & Restaurant in King's Square

(Left) Bob Burns Memorial Park and bus to Fort St. Catherine

Snapshot-2012-09-26-10-32.PNG

Greeted by the Town Crier who informs us that there will be a dunking in King's Square at noon

There's also much to see in King's Square such as the Stocks and Pillory, the Dunking (Ducking) of the Wench at Noon, and Town Hall. http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_0000ff.htm

DSCF0247.PNG

Tour group in front of a replica of the Deliverance near King's Square

A fascinating history of Admiral Sir George Somers and his men who built the Deliverance after being stranded in Bermuda on their way from England to form the Jamestown colony. http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_0000f6.htm

DSCF0249.PNG

Free bus to Fort St. Catherine. Ben smiles at Pat "Having a Nice Day?"

(Continued)

Day 4 - Arriving in Heritage Wharf, Royal Naval Dockyard (continued)

Ben explores St. George and Fort St. Catherine

Now Ben's been to Bermuda several times yet never visited any of the forts! On the surface to him they seemed to be interesting features of the landscape. Boy was he wrong and pleasantly surprised. He'll only share a few teasers and tell you that if you like history, exploring, and even ghost hunting, Fort St. Catherine is a "must do".

Crossing over the drawbridge into the narrow entryway, Ben and his new friend Pat enjoyed exploring the military museum, the lower chambers and passageways, and the ramparts above. They learned about the forts armaments, the defense of the island from 1612 to World War II, and life of soldiers from Bermudian Militia, British Royal Regiment, and U.S. Battalions. What you see of the fort from the outside is truly just the tip of the iceberg.

DSCF0256.PNG

Ben think he heard George's Ghost as he explores the lower chambers

DSCF0276.PNG

Ben has difficulty lifting a munition

DSCF0277.PNG

What's a circus cannon doing here?

DSCF0278.PNG

Where's my helmet?

DSCF0290.PNG

DSCF0308.PNG

Ben's wonderful new friend Pat. Is that blue skies ahead?

Tips:

• The entrance fees: Adults $7, Seniors (65+) $5, Children (5-15) $3. Children 4 and under are free.

• Although the fort is a self guided tour, there are a few friendly folks around working to restore and maintain the site. They are happy to share some interesting stories.

• On that humid day, the fort's passages were a bit stuffy. Ask around for the beverage vending machine and the one room with air conditioning. Bottled water and soda were $1.50.

(Continued)

Ben and Pat hike to Tobacco Bay Beach, Unfinished Church, and downtown

Now an even more wonderful part about Fort St. Catherine itself and the free bus ride is that Tobacco Bay Beach is a mild ten minute walk away where you can sunbathe, snorkle, explore the tide pools and volcanic rock formations, or enjoy refreshments at the concession stand.

DSCF0313.PNG

Tobacco Bay (Sorry beach not pictured)

From Tobacco Bay Beach, you can walk back to Fort St. Catherine for the return bus ride, or take a steep uphill walk which soon levels off and slopes down towards the Unfinished Church (15 min), and then back to King's Square (10 min) via Duke of Kent Street.

DSCF0325.PNG

The Unfinished Church

Where Duke of Kent Street ends at Duke of York Street (be careful at this three-way intersection!), there is a supermarket where Ben bought a can of Bermuda's very own Barritt's Diet Ginger Beer and a bag of Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos. Mmm! Pat bought a bag of Cool Ranch instead and it was a miracle that they managed to get along after that.

They strolled next door to Somers Garden and enjoyed their snack on a park bench after which they walked around the park and paused under its beautiful moongate. They then headed back to King's Square after a visit to St. Peter's Church where a member gave an interesting talk about its history. Sorry Ben didn't any pictures of this beautiful church.

DSCF0329.PNG

Somers Garden and moongate

DSCF0334.PNG

Ben pauses beneath the moongate for "good luck and happiness"

By around early afternoon they had visited 7 out of the 8 "Top things to do in St. George" according to tripadvisor.com. There was plenty of time to enjoy them and they didn't feel rushed. Unfortunately Pat and Ben didn't have a chance to explore more of King's Square or the town because thunder could be heard booming over the horizon. Still they had a fantastic time.

Pat and Ben decided to catch the next ferry back to the Royal Naval Dockyard where they parted ways until meeting up with everyone at Gatsby's before dinner. As if the day couldn't have ended on a better note, the night was just beginning and there was more fun to be had.

DSCF0340.PNG

Ben relaxes in the Red Lion Pub with a cocktail

DSCF0343.PNG

Red Lion Pub - View of the promenade deck and dockyard

(Continued)

Gatsby's, Versailles, Duo Amaury, Bermuda Gombey Dancers

Refreshed and relaxed, Ben headed to his cabin to change and then over to Gatsby's. Now Ben had become sort of a regular there and while waiting for his friends, he got to know his favorite bartender of all time - Aan from Indonesia. It was no surprise when Aan recounted how someone had tried to recruit this friendly, entertaining, and hardworking barkeep to Vegas. Mr. Motown Stan Sykes was packing Gatby's every night and Aan and his team had a challenge keeping the drinks flowing with a smile.

DSCF0344.PNG

Ben is in heaven after sipping his cocktail.

DSCF0347.PNG

Dinner in Versailles

Ben had to slap his cameraman on the head after he gobbled a slice of pork tenderloin. He had him quickly rearrange the dish and take a pic. It came with a side of sweet potato and asparagus in a sweet sauce (maybe raisin). Deeeeelish!

DSCF0348.PNG

Pecan pie with chocolate ice cream with only a nibble missing. Ben's photog is catching on.

The pie was very dense with pecans and not overly sweet with caramel. We were all puzzled by the chocolate ice cream and thought it would have been better with vanilla or whipped cream. It was still yummy.

After dinner, Ben and friends headed to the evening show - Duo Amaury - A wonderful acrobatic act. No photography or recordings were allowed during any evening performances. We then headed up to the lido deck for a performance by the Bermuda Gombey Folkloric dancers. This was a special treat and no pictures can capture the energy and excitement of the performance. http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00002a.htm

DSCF0351.PNG

Bermuda Gombey Dancers make their entrance

DSCF0360.PNG

Bermuda Gombey Dancers invite passengers to join

(Continued)

I've been away since Monday and just caught up with your fantastic review. I noticed you mentioned having a space problem with the bed set-up. My cabin steward set up the beds differently. He had the beds together pushed to one wall and had the 2 end tables together. This way there was a double-wide aisle on one side of the bed which made it a lot easier to move about. Again, something to consider for next time.

Loving your review. That pork loin looks fantastic and I don't blame you for digging in before snapping a photo. I leave on Sunday on the Star so I'm hoping you're done before. If not, I'll read the rest when I return.

Dance party at Gatsby's featuring Mr.Motown and Aan, Spinnakers "afterparty"

We headed down to Gatsby's energized by the rhythm and dancing of the Bermuda Gombey dancers, and for the next two hours enjoyed cocktails to the piano and singing of Stan Sykes. Even though it was a bar/lounge, people couldn't help dancing. Ben's assistant was still working off the previous cocktail so asked Aan to take it easy on him.

DSCF0362.PNG

Aan mixes up a gentle Mudslide. Ben begged for mercy as Aan tried to sneak in some kick.

Aan also hosted a few Martini tastings throughout the cruise where he informed and entertained while preparing 4 varieties. He also hosted a Mojito tasting while over at The Red Lion Pub there was a Beer Tasting and several 2 for 1 happy hours. If you enjoy beer and cocktails, check your Freestyle Newsletter as these events are a good bargain and nice events for meeting people.

DSCF0364.PNG

Mr. Motown Stan Sykes, Gatsby's Martini Bar lounge.

Here's a short video clip of Stan Sykes singing Barry White

MOV_0063.mp4 (Warning: It's a 64 MB MP4 video file. It not a youtube clip so won't play until it's completely downloaded.) Recorded using a smartphone so the quality's not great plus standing near the loudspeakers was distorting the audio recording.

Stan was amazing and performed two long sets between 8 pm and 12 midnight nearly every night! Stan played the piano while using an iPad to play accompanying music. He was flawless every night. Despite the many frowns and sobs from an adoring audience, he turned into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight. However, the partygoers didn't want it to end and casually strolled over to Spinnaker's Lounge to join the dance party with DJ Franco.

DSCF0442.PNG

Spinnaker Lounge

DSCF0371.PNG

Photo redacted in the interests of national security. What happens in Spinnaker, stays in Spinnaker.

DSCF0373.PNG

DSCF0375.PNG

Ben really appreciates Dickie his room steward. Dickie takes obvious care in making up the cabin, laying everything out neatly, and making perfect towel animals to keep Ben company.

Tip:

Even if you don't drink alcohol, the barkeeps were happy to serve a glass of ice water, bottled water, soda, or virgin cocktail. Find a venue that you enjoy whether it be listening to the Melodic Trio in the Grand Atrium at the Java Cafe coffee bar, listening from above in the Blue Lagoon, or one of several other bar/pubs with music or activities to suit your style.

(Continued)Up next: A lazy day on board, exploring the ship with photos

I've been away since Monday and just caught up with your fantastic review. I noticed you mentioned having a space problem with the bed set-up. My cabin steward set up the beds differently. He had the beds together pushed to one wall and had the 2 end tables together. This way there was a double-wide aisle on one side of the bed which made it a lot easier to move about. Again, something to consider for next time.

Loving your review. That pork loin looks fantastic and I don't blame you for digging in before snapping a photo. I leave on Sunday on the Star so I'm hoping you're done before. If not, I'll read the rest when I return.

Thanks for the tip! I've been in an ocean view and an inside and the stewards centered the bed each time.

I'll try to finish the port day review! Glad you're finding this helpful and Bon Voyage! I'm suffering PCW - Post Cruise Withdrawal!

We then headed up to the lido deck for a performance by the Bermuda Gombey Folkloric dancers. This was a special treat and no pictures can capture the energy and excitement of the performance. http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00002a.htm

Do they mention the dancers in the dailys? I would love to see them since I was a little bummed to miss the street dancers on the island.

Thanks again for your review...this is the first one I've actual read every post to and can't wait for the rest of it. I also appreciate the tips in between.

Do they mention the dancers in the dailys? I would love to see them since I was a little bummed to miss the street dancers on the island.

Thanks again for your review...this is the first one I've actual read every post to and can't wait for the rest of it. I also appreciate the tips in between.

Thank you.:) Yes, they were posted in the Freestyle Daily. I vaguely remember hearing there was BBQ party excursion in dockyard with gombey dances but they weren't the same. The dancers who were on board were talented and amazing.

Thank you for the great review, we leave a week from tomorrow and this is getting me even more excited.

Do you by chance remember when the mojito tasting was? We want to make sure we schedule it in.:D

All of the tastings (beer/magarita/mojito) were either 4 or 4:30 pm. Happy hours were 4pm - 5 pm. The Mojito Tasting was Day 6 at 4 pm but I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole schedule changes each week.

Day 5 - Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ben had left the drapes open as he did every night before drifting asleep in the comfy white cotton sheets and comforter. He slowly awoke to sunny clear blue skies with clouds way off in the distance. As he slowly blinked away the previous excitement-filled day, he concluded that today would be a nice day to stay on board.

Despite yesterday's rain shower and mostly overcast sky, Ben got slightly sunburned! He could feel the sun and didn't think he'd need any sunscreen. Today, the sun was beating strong and wasn't looking forward to getting any more color. He was already canary yellow. Ben suggests being careful of sunburn even in overcast skies and wear sunscreen.

So, Ben decided to spend a leisurely day on board, exercise, and explore the ship taking pictures. As he past the Grand Atrium, he was pleasantly surprised to see Shelli & Marc from the Cruise Critic Roll Call relaxing on the promenade on loungers and reading, and smiled remembering the fun they had together at dinner the night before. Seems he wasn't the only one who wanted to enjoy some quiet solitude of the ship while most everyone else was ashore.

DSCF0431.PNG

Sunny clear blue skies as clouds roll away in the distance.

DSCF0377.PNG

Poolside

Ben sat down with lunch on the pool deck instead of Bier Garten as he hid from the sun. There were plenty of windows seats inside the Garden Cafe (buffet) too. If you're on the Jewel-class ships, the Great Outdoors (far aft on the pool deck) is another of Ben's favorite spots for buffet meals or a book.

DSCF0378.PNG

Ben likes to sample and try a little of everything and go back for seconds on what he likes. The shepherds pie, batter fried cod, and beef from the carving station were excellent. The beef stew was dry and barely edible. The same dry hard beef reappeared in the main dining room on the last evening and ruined an otherwise tasty Beef Stroganoff.

DSCF0379.PNG

Ben loves palak paneer (spinach curry with cheese cubes) and basmati rice. The watercress salad was bitter and overwhelmed the pear but he ate it because dark greens are healthy. He enjoyed the bean salad and laughed at "Singapore Noodle". It's really just "lo mein" that's made fresh tossed at the buffet. Singapore noodle is a thin rice (not thick wheat) noodle tossed with spicy curry (not sweet).

DSCF0407.PNG

Red Lion Pub

The Red Lion Pub is a nice place to lounge during the day. Drop in for free bag of popcorn and other snacks that you can take with you.

DSCF0405.PNG

View from the Red Lion Pub

(Continue)

Day 5 - A relaxing day on board exploring the Star (continued)

DSCF0410.PNG

Grand Atrium and Java Cafe coffee bar. Stairs lead up to the Blue Lagoon (upper left), Moderno Bar and Churrascaria Restaurant (upper right)

The Blue Lagoon is open 24 hours and serves pub and comfort foods including fish and chips, buffalo wings, hamburgers, and a fantastic tomato soup. The tomato soup was tastier than the soup served in main dining rooms. If you're lucky, get a table by the windows or one overlooking the Grand Atrium below to view performances of the Melodic Trio, the towel folding demonstration below, or just people watching.

Ben's a New Yawkah and loves buffalo wings and these were just the way he likes them - small deep fried unbreaded wings. They were tasty but you may be disappointed if you like them very hot and spicy. You can try asking for a bottle of Tabasco.

DSCF0424.PNG

Moderno in the afternoon in port

Ben heard that dinner in Moderno's Churrascaria was delicious but sadly didn't try it himself. During sea days in the afternoon, it was is filled with people playing card and board games. On port days it was empty as people flocked ashore. This was a perfect place for Ben to enjoy a cocktail while planning for tomorrow.

DSCF0426.PNG

Vacationers abandon board games in favor of a sunny day in Bermuda

DSCF0443.PNG

Ben relaxes with a cocktail while reading his Freestyle Daily and planning tomorrow's adventure

The evening was filled with fun and friends enjoying another night of dinner in Versailles, a funny evening show of sketch and improv at "Comedy Showtime: Second City", and music at Gatsby's with Stan Sykes and Aan. Second City boasts a long list of famous alumni celebrities. Will you see the next one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alumni_of_the_Second_City

DSCF0448.PNG

Stan on the ivories

DSCF0453.PNG

Aan gives Ben a smile.

(Continues)Tomorrow: Day 6 - Fun and sun at Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Looks like I'll have to wait until I get back from my Star cruise next Sunday to read the rest but that's okay. The quality is what's important and I'll have something to look forward to when I get post cruise syndrome.

Enjoy

Archived