Dogs on the Dream?

pomlover

It is my understanding that they provide a box out on deck in an unobscure place. The passenger is expected to clean up the messes and the box.

Sorry, I do not get that. I have seen service dogs for the blind, for the legless and armless. If I am in a wheelchair and can't pick up a remote control that I dropped, had to get a special dog to do that for me, how is it that I am expected to be able to get to ground level and clean up after the dog?

I do not mind animals for the physically disabled, but anxiety? That's a cop out for someone that is too attached to their 4 legged friends. It bothers me to see people in grocery stores, home improvement stores and any other non-pet related store carrying or walking their pets. I think your dog can handle being home for 2 hours while you do what you need to. If you can't handle being alone for 2 hours without a dog, cruising is not for you.

Sorry, I do not get that. I have seen service dogs for the blind, for the legless and armless. If I am in a wheelchair and can't pick up a remote control that I dropped, had to get a special dog to do that for me, how is it that I am expected to be able to get to ground level and clean up after the dog?

I do not mind animals for the physically disabled, but anxiety? That's a cop out for someone that is too attached to their 4 legged friends. It bothers me to see people in grocery stores, home improvement stores and any other non-pet related store carrying or walking their pets. I think your dog can handle being home for 2 hours while you do what you need to. If you can't handle being alone for 2 hours without a dog, cruising is not for you.

Seems a little harsh....what if the dog picks up seizure activity? That is not something that you can physically see. Is that okay? Not trying to be argumentative, but sometimes a person's disability is not visible.

On the disabilty board there is a VERY long thread started by wizardofroz called something like 'all you ever wanted to know about cruising with a service dog'. It is facinating, and will answer all these questions and more.

On the disabilty board there is a VERY long thread started by wizardofroz called something like 'all you ever wanted to know about cruising with a service dog'. It is facinating, and will answer all these questions and more.

I recall reading that before, and suggest anyone having questions or concerns with service animals, read it too.

There are many disabilities that you cannot "see", and that service animals provide valuable assistance for.

Seems a little harsh....what if the dog picks up seizure activity? That is not something that you can physically see. Is that okay? Not trying to be argumentative, but sometimes a person's disability is not visible.

Not harsh. The poster was referring to people with anxiety, or supposdly have it. Maybe they need to take an extra chill pill, or as stated, not be on a cruise at all in case of an attack.

Not harsh. The poster was referring to people with anxiety, or supposdly have it. Maybe they need to take an extra chill pill, or as stated, not be on a cruise at all in case of an attack.

Living up to your username, your comments are a little harsh towards us fellow board members that suffer from anxiety.

I work in a large retail store and a woman, husband and dog came in one day and I was standing near the entrance and the woman walked up to me and explained that the dog she was holding was a service animal that she needed for anxiety. When they walked into the store, she went to the left into the women's clothing area and the man took the dog from her and went to the sporting goods department in the back of the store. That dog sure had to be a super dog to detect any problems the woman was having at the front of the store. The same couple came in a week later and explained again that they had a service dog with them only the dog they had this time was different than the one they came in with a week prior. Wow, she had two service dogs??

When we were on our very first cruise on Carnival there was a lady in the diningroom with a really small dog and she had the dog on her lap and it was eating off of her plate. DAMN! Her table mates were shooting her some looks and the staff didn't seem to do anything. I don't know if that dog was a "service dog" or not.

When we were on our very first cruise on Carnival there was a lady in the diningroom with a really small dog and she had the dog on her lap and it was eating off of her plate. DAMN! Her table mates were shooting her some looks and the staff didn't seem to do anything. I don't know if that dog was a "service dog" or not.

Of course it was a service dog. It was a TASTE TESTER.

I've seen them in all kinds of things

P1090060.JPG

That is my Valentine who was a platinum cruiser but has since passed. Honestly can you imagine if she were walking on a ship, no one is expecting anyone that small and wouldstep on her and probably break a leg or worse. I have ms and couldn 't carry her.

Believe me if you saw a dog onboard it was a service dog.Page after page is of proof and health is needed just for the ship. IFyou want to get off you must contact each island ,or country and provide more paperwork for proof and health. Lots of vet bills too. Also the ADA has discontinued service dogs for stress and depression type of reseans.

So rest assure if a dog is onboard he is leagl. Also you can pet the dog if you ask first and the human agrees, but not too often or they can't get to where they aregoing.

It's a game, much like the handicapped sign in some cars, you know the ones where the driver gets out without any handicap and strolls right in to the store. I like to try to figure out what handicap someone has that they would need a "service animal"

What really bugs me is the people that abuse the system to get away with things. Doesn't matter what system, just those who would rather follow their own rules, care only about themselves and have little regard for anyone else. I don't care if someone really needs a service animal but pahleeze don't abuse it cause you just can't do without fluffy.

No, no, no! They must have tuxedoes and little bow ties:)

Sometimes they do!! :D I saw a black lab service dog when I was on the Caribbean Princess and he wore a little doggie tux complete with a bow tie and top hat each of the 2 formal nights, he looked adorable and everyone loved him!!!! :D If I remember right, his owner said she got it at Wal-Mart.

Our daughter's beau has a seizure disorder and their pup, Darwin, is currently undergoing training to detect his seizures and also service dog training. Like one poster indicated there is tons of paperwork (and they live in FL). When first starting out it is advisable NOT to let any strangers touch the dog but as the dog ages and is used to doing it's duty petting and touching becomes less of an issue.

We were on the Dream last week. The dog was in a small carrying bag every time we saw her and the dog. We saw her the first night in the jewelry store, the first sea day she sat next to us near the railing in the Aft Pool. Then we saw her and her dog at the jewelry store again on the last day. It was Charo, the singer. She was very nice and the dog was well behaved.

I forgot...another thought....for all you cruisers who are concerned about bed bugs in your stateroom, etc., just think about that big Great Dane sleeping in the bed you are now sleeping in.

I am still waiting for an answer as to how much food the owner of the Great Dane needed to bring on board. And where was it stored? in the cabin? in the kitchen?

It doesn't make any sense to me that service dog or not, how a Great Dane could have been reasonably cared for on a ship.

I am still waiting for an answer as to how much food the owner of the Great Dane needed to bring on board. And where was it stored? in the cabin? in the kitchen?

It doesn't make any sense to me that service dog or not, how a Great Dane could have been reasonably cared for on a ship.

If the cruise ship can bring on enough food to feed 4000+ people, why do you think that they wouldn't be able to store 10 large bags of dog food (more than enough to feed even the largest dog)?

there is a track at the top of the ship so the dog could be walked.

There's plenty of water for the dog to drink.

If it's a service dog, it's used to working so it is used to staying by it's owner and not running around all day. I'm sure that the person who needs that dog takes good care of it's needs.

Service dogs come in all sizes and breeds. For many smaller dogs, carriers are a necessity - can you imagine how many times their paws would get stepped on around the ship? It's not done to be cute, it's done to ensure that the dog has safe working conditions.

No matter what the issue is, there's always going to be a few scammers. Despite everyone knowing someone (my uncle's girlfriend's hairdressers great nephew) who has a "service animal" that is not needed, the vast majority of people who bring a service animal on board the ship needs them to meet their medical needs.

I wouldn't dare question someone in a wheelchair if they "really" need it, so I wouldn't question a person with a service animal if they "really" do either.

If the cruise ship can bring on enough food to feed 4000+ people, why do you think that they wouldn't be able to store 10 large bags of dog food (more than enough to feed even the largest dog)?

there is a track at the top of the ship so the dog could be walked.

There's plenty of water for the dog to drink.

If it's a service dog, it's used to working so it is used to staying by it's owner and not running around all day. I'm sure that the person who needs that dog takes good care of it's needs.

Service dogs come in all sizes and breeds. For many smaller dogs, carriers are a necessity - can you imagine how many times their paws would get stepped on around the ship? It's not done to be cute, it's done to ensure that the dog has safe working conditions.

No matter what the issue is, there's always going to be a few scammers. Despite everyone knowing someone (my uncle's girlfriend's hairdressers great nephew) who has a "service animal" that is not needed, the vast majority of people who bring a service animal on board the ship needs them to meet their medical needs.

I wouldn't dare question someone in a wheelchair if they "really" need it, so I wouldn't question a person with a service animal if they "really" do either.

Thank you for your kind answer

Archived