Dogs on the Dream?

pomlover

I didn't know that passengers were allowed to bring animals onto the ship. I saw this person several times with her Chihuahua in her bag. Very small but cleary a dog. I love animals but didn't know Carnivals policy. We missed our animals terribly while gone!! Anyone else see pets on ships?

only service dogs are allowed....and smaller dogs are actually the ideal trainees in detecting seizures and other conditions. That was probably the case. Definitely has to be a service dog to be allowed aboard though---to answer your question

I'm pretty sure you can bring a dog on board. I am told it has to be a service dog, but they aren't supposed to ask you for papers for it. Down here in Florida, no documentation is required to claim it is a service dog and they can be for anything from serious illnesses to anxiety (which, I know is serious but I also suspect is used as "anxiety" in the form of "I don't want to leave him alone.") I've never seen a cat on board, however.

I understand that a person with a medical condition needs their service dog. However, a question popped up in my mind. Where does the dog "relieve" itself while on a ship for hours and hours?

It is my understanding that they provide a box out on deck in an unobscure place. The passenger is expected to clean up the messes and the box.

I understand that a person with a medical condition needs their service dog. However, a question popped up in my mind. Where does the dog "relieve" itself while on a ship for hours and hours?

O.K.,,,,I've just got to say this before someone else does. THE POOP DECK, of course! ;)

"SKY"

On the Splendor a few weeks back we saw a service animal. 185lb great dane that was just huge. Anyways' really nice dog was talking to the owners and petting him.

They setup a box on one of the lower decks for the dog to go to the bathroom, kind of kitty litter style box and then they clean it up after he goes.

Dog had no issue's on the cruise the entire 7 days on it.

I don't know about CCL but on RCCL they had a "sand box" type affair filled with sod on the aft end of one of the lower decks.

There was a thread a while back on the Hal board I think...a passenger had a service cat...a special breed...think there even was pics of the kitty...but remember they were not allowed to leave the animal unattended in the cabin..so the cat came to dinner with them...in a carrier:eek:

I would love to bring my kitties on our cruises...but they are probably happier at home...it's me who misses them:D

I don't know about CCL but on RCCL they had a "sand box" type affair filled with sod on the aft end of one of the lower decks.

Yes, on our last RC cruise we would occasionally see someone with a small breed dog that was definitely a service dog. They had set up a box with wood shavings on deck 4, aft.

On the Splendor a few weeks back we saw a service animal. 185lb great dane that was just huge. Anyways' really nice dog was talking to the owners and petting him.

They setup a box on one of the lower decks for the dog to go to the bathroom, kind of kitty litter style box and then they clean it up after he goes.

exactly how much food did the owner have to bring on for that dog?

There was a thread about this a while ago. Some people are getting very creative for an excuse to bring their beloved pet. I think some paperwork is required.

I know some service animals are legitimate, but I think some are sliding through the cracks. There was animals for depression, detecting low blood sugars, seizures etc., but rolling a pet in a baby stroller was a bit much.

Hey pom lover we sail dream in a couple of weeks could you have your plumer husband stow away we may need him . He sounded evry good at working with sewage and he could also clean up any dog poop .:eek:

Of course!! I will lend him out!! HA!

This dog was in a 'purse' style carrier. Probably was a 'service' dog....

I have seen alot of different dogs for low blood sugar and such. But I hadn't thought about one on a cruise. Glad to know that they will allow one if needed!

If you were petting the dog, it was not a service dog. No petting of service dogs ever, except when not in service mode, which would mean in the cabin.

Service dogs are NOT pets, and if they are treated as such, then are not service dogs.

There was a thread about this a while ago. Some people are getting very creative for an excuse to bring their beloved pet. I think some paperwork is required.

I know some service animals are legitimate, but I think some are sliding through the cracks. There was animals for depression, detecting low blood sugars, seizures etc., but rolling a pet in a baby stroller was a bit much.

I've seen them in all kinds of things

P1090060.JPG

If you were petting the dog, it was not a service dog. No petting of service dogs ever, except when not in service mode, which would mean in the cabin.

Service dogs are NOT pets, and if they are treated as such, then are not service dogs.

Not true in all cases. We have a woman who lives near us with a white GSD. The woman is legally blind and the dog is in a harness. He has a sign on his harness that says "if I'm not walking, please pet me, I love people".

While you should never pet a service dog while working, there are times when the owner will allow the dog to be out of service mode here and there for a few moments of petting.

We became friendly with a couple on a Princess Cruise through the Panama Canal. My DH and hers played golf together. When in the golf simulator area, she would sometimes release the dog from service so he could get hugs. :D But, he had half and eye on her all the time and, if she said his name, *poof*, back into working mode he went.

What an amazing dog he was.

True service dogs (as well as K-9 officers) make my heart swell when I see them at work.

I could never pretend my Yorkie is a service dog, no matter how much I'd like to take her on cruises. My DH says she has no brain and could never fool anyone.

Archived