Forgive the apparent misposting...

SandyK1968

I really did intend to post on the Seabourn forum!

We are pretty regular Seabournites and would not usually choose to cruise on any other line...but we are taking our kids ( 6 and 7) away over Christmas on HAL as we simply don't think that Seabourn is an appropriate line for children of that age and are (selfishly as we're away from our own) none too keen on seeing other children aboard the sisters, big or small, when we do sail Seabourn.

I wondered whether ( to prepare myself for what is probably going to be a shock) any Seabourn fans have any recent experience of HAL ( other than the insidious influence that we are feeling on the sisters) which I can use to prepare myself for the mass market.

You will understand that I am posting here rather than on the HAL forum as what I'm after is a view of HAL from those who choose Seabourn...I'm sure that it's not a fair comparison but I would like a few pointers from anyone who may have chosen HAL for the same reason as me or other equally valid reasons. I am grateful,in advance, for any views...good or bad!

Hi, I can speak of euro dam, which I sailed on a couple of years ago, and had a very positive experience.

However, I was in the penthouse suite, which was truly lovely and we were treated like royalty throughout the cruise,with our every whim and requirement taken care of. Every where we dined,we had the best table specially reserved for us and we had our own private cabana set up,which was great for the caribbean.

I only had one experience of the main dining room, which I did not enjoy, but for the rest of the cruise we ate in the speciality restaurants which were excellent!

We had our breakfast in the pinnacle grill every day, and used the Neptune concierge lounge daily.

The people we met in there were very nice and we had a great time.

It would depend on the kind of room you had booked as to the level of comparable service to seabourn in my opinion, which may be somewhat displaced due to having the best suite in the house.

Would I return, yes, but only to have the penthouse suite experience on one of the newer vessels.

Only if I couldn't find a seabourn alternative! HAL, is a much better option for the children though!

Thank you for that post, Tilly. I do appreciate the time you have spent. We'll be Deluxe Verandah, so may not have the PH experience but the next best, I guess. It's really good to have an idea of what to expect! Thanks very much!

Thank you for that post, Tilly. I do appreciate the time you have spent. We'll be Deluxe Verandah, so may not have the PH experience but the next best, I guess. It's really good to have an idea of what to expect! Thanks very much!

We have sailed several times in the past on the Oosterdam in a Deluxe Verandah Suite and had a wonderful experience. On one of these cruises we had 5 couples all in Deluxe Verandahs suite and were able to open the connecting verandah doors to enjoy cocktail parties every night. We also ate several of our meals in the Neptune Room. While we have now grown to love the smaller ship experience if the opportunity was right we would entertain the idea of a cruise on HAL.

Shirley

we did a "family experience" on the Zuiderdam to Alaska. We also had a Deluxe V.S. which worked out beautifully with a little one. The 4 grown ups had appetizers delivered in the afternoon & had our "medication" along with it, while the little one played her video whatever. We played family card games out on the verandah which was great fun & had plenty of room - really liked that verandah & the weather was gorgeous. Our granddaughter really enjoyed Club Hal & they did a variety fun things, including a talent show. It was a total win-win & I think you made a good choice & we wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

SandyK1968,

I want to thank you for taking your fellow Seabourn passengers into consideration by realizing SB is no place for children. I know you will have a wonderful cruise with your family, not least because your children will have a much better time on a ship more suited for them.

SandyK1968,

I want to thank you for taking your fellow Seabourn passengers into consideration by realizing SB is no place for children. I know you will have a wonderful cruise with your family, not least because your children will have a much better time on a ship more suited for them.

Well put. As usual.:D

How kind you all , as always, to spend your time replying!

We'll be on the Rotterdam in Europe, so not expecting much weather but we wouldn't get much weather at home either!

I'm looking forward to a Christmas where someone else does the hard work for once and where the kids will be entertained, at least in part, not by us!

Much as I would love to be on Seabourn, I know it's not right for my kids until they're under their own steam and able to imbibe cocktails!:D

Archived